IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

2 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Nice goal direct from a corner just after h/t, 3-1 city.

Dare I say it but the women seem to play to a plan.

Bit scary / loose at the back….Murray is a beast back there saving the day so often….and Aspin covers well.

4-1, Bull, header from a corner.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bit scary / loose at the back….Murray is a beast back there saving the day so often….and Aspin covers well.

4-1, Bull, header from a corner.

5-1

Forget the defensive play Dave :) This is getting 5 stars from me and I've only been watching since half time.

• Like 3

Just back from the game, that's as good a City performance as I've seen before, albeit they're in a different division these days. Satara Murray is an exceptional player, Palmer & Kuyken in midfield are under rated and all the while you have Harrison up top, anything can happen. Palmer hit the bar from a corner earlier this season & I nearly called it when she trotted over to take the set piece. Johnson scored her goal from a Palmer corner too.....

Good to see the gaffer was up there too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Just back from the game, that's as good a City performance as I've seen before, albeit they're in a different division these days. Satara Murray is an exceptional player, Palmer & Kuyken in midfield are under rated and all the while you have Harrison up top, anything can happen. Palmer hit the bar from a corner earlier this season & I nearly called it when she trotted over to take the set piece. Johnson scored her goal from a Palmer corner too.....

Good to see the gaffer was up there too. 

From about 30 minutes onwards, I thought that was the best I’ve seen us play this season.

My view of the players today and generally:

GK: Bentley - really good hands at this level, definitely one of the better keepers at this level.

RB: Morgan - best game of the season today, she got them going with her runs down the right first half and linked well second too.

RCB: Aspin - really improving, her covering was really good today.  For a 16 year old she has huge potential.

CB: Layzell - injured early, ball booted in her face, looked nasty.

LCB: Murray - absolute rock and she has bailed out our defence this season, today she was equally good.  Quick and strong.

LB: Cataldo - clever on the ball, defends well, had a good game

CM: Palmer - really classy today, 2 goals, 2 assists, but passed the ball really well, brings calmness to possession.

CM: Kuyken - thought she was a bit quiet today, but technically one of our best players.  Plays off either foot, maybe prone to always trying to play between the lines.

CM: Bull (nee O’Connor) - first time I’ve really noticed her, industrious, clever touches 

LW: Beever-Jones - on as sub early, but so good on the ball.  I see she’s on loan from Chelsea, it showed.  Her dribbling got us on the front foot.

CF: Harrison - works so hard up front, gets goals. She needs more support as has to do too much on her own.  Been our best player this season.

RW / SS: Johnson - bit lightweight at times but has that knack of getting into good positions, especially in between CB and FB.  Works hard though.

Didnt realise how many are just 20/21.

• Like 3

Thought the team played really well today. There is a growing sense of togetherness that will count for much this season - and something that such a young team will benefit from later. Despite the early concession, the girls took a firm grip on the game over the ninety minutes and the visitors were slowly smothered into defeat. By the end there was only one team in it.

Many players stood out today and I found it difficult to single one out. From front to back there were good, solid performances - and perhaps a little good fortune at times. Hopefully this form will hold when they play Blackburn at the Gate later.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

From about 30 minutes onwards, I thought that was the best I’ve seen us play this season.

My view of the players today and generally:

GK: Bentley - really good hands at this level, definitely one of the better keepers at this level.

RB: Morgan - best game of the season today, she got them going with her runs down the right first half and linked well second too.

RCB: Aspin - really improving, her covering was really good today.  For a 16 year old she has huge potential.

CB: Layzell - injured early, ball booted in her face, looked nasty.

LCB: Murray - absolute rock and she has bailed out our defence this season, today she was equally good.  Quick and strong.

LB: Cataldo - clever on the ball, defends well, had a good game

CM: Palmer - really classy today, 2 goals, 2 assists, but passed the ball really well, brings calmness to possession.

CM: Kuyken - thought she was a bit quiet today, but technically one of our best players.  Plays off either foot, maybe prone to always trying to play between the lines.

CM: Bull (nee O’Connor) - first time I’ve really noticed her, industrious, clever touches 

LW: Beever-Jones - on as sub early, but so good on the ball.  I see she’s on loan from Chelsea, it showed.  Her dribbling got us on the front foot.

CF: Harrison - works so hard up front, gets goals. She needs more support as has to do too much on her own.  Been our best player this season.

RW / SS: Johnson - bit lightweight at times but has that knack of getting into good positions, especially in between CB and FB.  Works hard though.

Didnt realise how many are just 20/21.

Can't disagree with any of that, Dave. All I'd add is that Murray always looks so calm & collected even when under pressure, nothing seems to panic her. Beever-Jones would always be in my starting XI. Thought Cataldo near the end tried one too many little flicks & tricks that could have cost us if we'd been just a goal up. But the most impressive of all has been Lauren Smith, she has been a breath of fresh air this season. At times under Tanya Oxtoby, I literally had no clue as to what team she would pick and who would play where; with Lauren, I can pretty well predict the formation once the team's been published. 

Can't believe Aspin is only 16, that's mad. There's another 16 year old there too, Maddie Wylde, but she's on the bench most weeks.

• Like 2

if I wasn’t a regular at the Flyers too, I’d definitely take in more games.  Joe loves the footie and basketball, but has no interest in the womens matches.  Daughter and Wife not into sport at all, so would be taking the Mickey / Micky if I went to games.  The Chairman has invited me up to Failand, but I’ve had to politely decline.  As a contractor I’m off for 3 weeks at Xmas so hoping to take in an u23 or Womens match over that period.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

if I wasn’t a regular at the Flyers too, I’d definitely take in more games.  Joe loves the footie and basketball, but has no interest in the womens matches.  Daughter and Wife not into sport at all, so would be taking the Mickey / Micky if I went to games.  The Chairman has invited me up to Failand, but I’ve had to politely decline.  As a contractor I’m off for 3 weeks at Xmas so hoping to take in an u23 or Womens match over that period.

The basketball games seem to have exciting finishes quite often, the Flyers won 85 - 84 on Saturday night, sounds nailbiting.

10 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

The basketball games seem to have exciting finishes quite often, the Flyers won 85 - 84 on Saturday night, sounds nailbiting.

It’s (obviously) end to end stuff…and most games are close, or at least close until late on.  A team can go on a 10-0 scoring run at any time, so so game is ever over.  The league is pretty tight too, there are a couple of top teams, Leicester and London (London in Europe this season), but Bristol beat Leicester this season already.

The SGS Arena where we play is small but creates a great atmosphere.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Can't disagree with any of that, Dave. All I'd add is that Murray always looks so calm & collected even when under pressure, nothing seems to panic her. Beever-Jones would always be in my starting XI. Thought Cataldo near the end tried one too many little flicks & tricks that could have cost us if we'd been just a goal up. But the most impressive of all has been Lauren Smith, she has been a breath of fresh air this season. At times under Tanya Oxtoby, I literally had no clue as to what team she would pick and who would play where; with Lauren, I can pretty well predict the formation once the team's been published. 

Can't believe Aspin is only 16, that's mad. There's another 16 year old there too, Maddie Wylde, but she's on the bench most weeks.

Absolutely agree regarding Lauren Smith. Also, Maddie Wilde recently turned 18, but is also an academy player like Aspin is.

On 05/10/2021 at 21:57, phantom said:

@shahanshahando you have any contacts within the club?

Was just looking at the current player profiles, the information for the majority is useless at best.

I'm amazed someone from the media team hasn't invested some time to obtain the information. 

Hi @phantom this should all be up to date now, from what I've seen! Only mistake I see is that Satara Murray's DOB is listed as being in 1999 & not in 1993!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Hi @phantom this should all be up to date now, from what I've seen! Only mistake I see is that Satara Murray's DOB is listed as being in 1999 & not in 1993!

Haha I was looking at some data in Wyscout yesterday, gonna produce some charts again in a few weeks and saw a few had been lying about their age (joke).

• Haha 1

Good news regarding the next home game at Ashton Gate. Last home game at AG with fans was against Everton in FA Cup in 2020, on a Monday night which just had over 1000 fans. Last home game before that was against Brighton in 2019, which was on a Saturday and had about 3000 fans, if I recall...

Hoping this game can get as many fans, if not more!FDRrbesWYAEOou0?format=jpg&name=medium

2 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Good news regarding the next home game at Ashton Gate. Last home game at AG with fans was against Everton in FA Cup in 2020, on a Monday night which just had over 1000 fans. Last home game before that was against Brighton in 2019, which was on a Saturday and had about 3000 fans, if I recall...

Hoping this game can get as many fans, if not more!FDRrbesWYAEOou0?format=jpg&name=medium

Appreciate logistically it couldn’t / wouldn’t happen but the men are playing Blackburn at home 6 days later - what if a double header could’ve taken place…? I wouldn’t normally suggest adding a women’s game to a men’s one as you would want to see those games stand on their own right, but just as a one off think of the men’s crowd’s chance to see a women’s game without needing to make any extra effort, showcasing that and leading to potential bigger audiences in the future etc. Everybody wins? Just a thought anyway.

19 hours ago, steveybadger said:

Appreciate logistically it couldn’t / wouldn’t happen but the men are playing Blackburn at home 6 days later - what if a double header could’ve taken place…?

While you may have a point, the EFL & women's fixtures were announced & organised separately. And on the weekend City men are playing Blackburn, City women are away at Watford anyway.

Also, the Ashton Gate game is during the international break in the Championship, so certain fans would be free that weekend to watch a game!

9 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

While you may have a point, the EFL & women's fixtures were announced & organised separately. And on the weekend City men are playing Blackburn, City women are away at Watford anyway.

Also, the Ashton Gate game is during the international break in the Championship, so certain fans would be free that weekend to watch a game!

Perhaps then they could also arrange an U23 game at AG (surely it's easier to reschedule those) or even a 'behind closed doors' friendly, even if it's just the first team squad not away for internationals and U23s? Then the women's game could follow. Not sure how easy it would be to do but I think there'd be lots of people quite curious to take in both games. 

On 04/11/2021 at 15:00, Phileas Fogg said:

Perhaps then they could also arrange an U23 game at AG (surely it's easier to reschedule those) or even a 'behind closed doors' friendly, even if it's just the first team squad not away for internationals and U23s? Then the women's game could follow. Not sure how easy it would be to do but I think there'd be lots of people quite curious to take in both games. 

I had a vague memory of something of this nature happening before - bizarrely it stuck in my head that we’d played Barnsley and I thought the women played first, but they actually played Brighton post the men’s game:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39681629

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39604660

1,100 stayed to watch the women. Also, some classic LJ b*locks about Jaffa Cakes.

37 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Whitehouse makes league debut.

Powell, Jhamat, Beever-Jones returns to starting XI.

Cataldo drops to bench.

Layzell not yet recovered.

Allen also missing.

Kick off at 7:45 live on FA Player

Just noticed that Aimee Palmer is missing. Lauren Smith interview on club's Twitter confirmed she suffered a knock. Abi Harrison is captain tonight

16 minutes ago, BRIAN WILSON said:

The City Girls should really be winning games like this, after their rather good performance against Sheff Utd this is extremely flat (to say the least)

Extremely flat is an understatement.

******** woeful.

The bottom, winless side looked far superior - better organised, fitter, far more accuracy, quality and desire. 

Mind you we’re Bristol City … it’s what we do.