IGNORED

AG Redevelopment latest

CyderInACan

14 minutes ago, phantom said:

Hilton have built hotels in a lot worse places with far worse views 

I have stayed in some quite nice hotels with terrible views. There was one in Bury which was lovely, it had 2 pools and a lovely restaurant and it was very cheap, but it was in the middle of an industrial park and there was a distribution depot right outside my window,

The funny one was the Holiday Inn in Southampton with a lovely unobstructed view of the docks/marina, except when I woke in the morning and open the curtains to find myself looking right into the windows of a cruise ship that must have arrived in the night. I quickly closed the curtains again as I had not got around to dressing at that point. :) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I have stayed in some quite nice hotels with terrible views. There was one in Bury which was lovely, it had 2 pools and a lovely restaurant and it was very cheap, but it was in the middle of an industrial park and there was a distribution depot right outside my window,

The funny one was the Holiday Inn in Southampton with a lovely unobstructed view of the docks/marina, except when I woke in the morning and open the curtains to find myself looking right into the windows of a cruise ship that must have arrived in the night. I quickly closed the curtains again as I had not got around to dressing at that point. :) 

Portholes.

Or didn`t you turn round?

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, billywedlock said:

The match day revenue of the bigger Prem clubs is very significant, and is why you can see such big developments , Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, etc etc have all spent big on the grounds. I was reading that Liverpool look to get (before expansion) between £70 and 80 M of match day revenue , vs £200m plus media (tv) . It is a big number . Our match day revenue has increased dramatically with the two new stands. If you get to the Prem, many businesses start to take on boxes (all sold out) and tables in the hospitality area for entertaining. In the Prem it is not just the home team but the opposition that attracts the money. IMHO Bristol is certainly a city that would thrive with Prem football. All hypothetical, as unlike 52 other clubs, we have not yet managed that . But you can see the basics are there, fairly wealthy area, population directly and indirectly in the area. 

The season starts soon, and we can stop playing fantasy football stadium ! 

Oh absolutely yes, I'm not quite sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me there, but I'd say that is mainly down to the corporate facilities as you say. For the new Main Stand at Anfield, it cost £80m (£115m including land acquisition), and they got 8,500 extra seats out of it. Basically, the primary benefit of expansion was not from the seats.

As such, if we did get Prem football, any Atyeo or Dolman expansion would likely be for similar reasons, and I really don't think you're fitting much in the way of corporate facilities on the Atyeo footprint, unless as some have said, the rules have changed and we could build farther back.

On 13/07/2022 at 22:48, GrahamC said:

That was the Saturday after Donowa had scored the late winner at home to the few on the Tuesday night before.

Only time I have been there, as you say only about 12,000 or 13,000 there & they were booed off at the end of the 0-0 

On 13/07/2022 at 10:01, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Presumably with the addition of many plastics. Other than the novelty of a first season there is nothing to suggest we could maintain a crowd if 26k. We celebrate the sale of 14k season tickets. It hurts me to say it but for a City the size of Bristol that's pathetic. Cities and towns much smaller than Bristol support sides with consistently larger support than ourselves. We have a really large catchment area compared to many. It's not as if we we sit in the shadow of much larger clubs as they do in London, the Midlands or in North West England. 

Yes but don’t forget the 25000 that the gas lock out regularly. If only we could get a few of those!

• Haha 1

On 14/07/2022 at 22:13, garlicbread said:

There's no point in developing the ground, it's just been developed, and never full

This myth that SL is trying to buy the houses is up there with the Zoo parking attendant...there are often for sale signs outside those hoses behind the Atyeo

Ere, what u banging on about?

• Like 2

Good news 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/huge-flooding-boost-ashton-gates-7555078

Huge flooding boost for Ashton Gate's homes and Sporting Quarter plans

The plans for 510 new homes and a basketball arena had been stalling

Developers behind ambitious plans for hundreds of new homes and a ‘Sporting Quarter’ next to Ashton Gate Stadium have overcome a major objection to the scheme over flooding. The objection had threatened to scupper the entire project.

Bristol Sport owner Steve Lansdown and his team want to build more than 500 new homes on a green field site on the edge of Bristol - which will help pay for a basketball arena, conference centre, hotel and flats next to the stadium. But the plans had been thrown into doubt earlier this summer when the Environment Agency formally objected, saying it would be a flood risk. It meant Bristol City Council could not give planning permission without the entire scheme being referred to a Government minister.

But now, Bristol Live can reveal the Environment Agency has now withdrawn its objection after Bristol Sport tweaked the plans to overcome it, and is no longer standing in the way of the development happening. The Lansdown family’s property and development company Esteban Holdings has applied for outline permission for up to 510 new homes on around half the land where a new stadium was proposed more than 10 years ago, between Ashton Vale and the Long Ashton Park and Ride site on the A370.

Read more: The 39 new developments in Bristol that will change the city as we know it

Bristol Sport said the new development, called Longmoor Village, would help pay for the Ashton Gate Sporting Quarter, a major development next to the stadium which would see a hotel, flats and a multi-storey car park built around a 5,000-capacity arena and conference centre. It would primarily be a home for the Bristol Flyers basketball team and would be Bristol’s biggest indoor events venue.

Work was scheduled to have started by now, but the double planning application has been mired in delays and objections at City Hall. It was initially submitted way back in June 2021, and more than a year later still has not yet been put before city councillors to make a decision.

A large chunk of the reason for that has been the objections of the Environment Agency who, as recently as a month ago, told city planners they were formally objecting to the plans for the homes, despite a number of meetings to overcome the objections. Back on August 4, the Environment Agency told Bristol City Council it was objecting to the Longmoor Village housing development, because it was being built between two rivers - the Longmoor Brook and Colliters Brook.

The bridges that crossed the rivers, along with the new homes being built, would increase the risk of flooding in the area. The Environment Agency said flooding could have been caused on the Longmoor Village site or elsewhere on the river catchment area. The Environment Agency told Bristol City Council that its objection meant that even if city councillors gave the Longmoor Village development planning permission, it would have to then automatically go to the Secretary of State at Whitehall.

The August 4 letter from the Environment Agency told council chiefs: “We maintain our objection (to) the proposed development on flood risk grounds… This circular prevents you from issuing planning permission without first referring the application to the Secretary of State, to give them the opportunity to call-in the application for their own determination. This process must be followed unless we are able to withdraw our objection to you in writing. A failure to follow this statutory process could render any decision unlawful, and the resultant permission vulnerable to legal challenge.”

Artists impressions of Longmoor Village, a new development on a green field site between Ashton Vale and Long Ashton
Artists impressions of Longmoor Village, a new development on a green field site between Ashton Vale and Long Ashton (Image: Ashton Gate Stadium)

There was a precedent for this. In March this year plans to relocate the Caravan Club caravan site from Baltic Wharf on Bristol’s harbourside to a new site on the banks of the River Avon opposite Cumberland Basin fell foul of the rule. Even though the city council gave permission for the move, the Environment Agency objected because of the risk of flooding, and the Secretary of State over-ruled the council and refused permission, backing the Environment Agency's view.

Those behind the housing development and Sporting Quarter plan were determined that would not happen at Longmoor Village and changed the plans enough for the Environment Agency to be satisfied.

Last Friday, the Environment Agency wrote again to change their position. “We are satisfied that the wider elements of the proposed development are safe and will not increase flood risk elsewhere,” they told planners. "We have no objections, subject to the comments outlined in this letter and the inclusion of the conditions…in any grant of outline planning consent.”

With the hurdle overcome, it is understood both applications could go before the planning committee within weeks, but there are still huge objections to the idea of building more than 500 new homes on the green field site. It looks set to still be one of the most controversial planning applications to go before councillors this year.

North Somerset Council has formally objected to the proposal, saying it will effectively join up the village of Long Ashton to the rest of Bristol. This is despite the fact that North Somerset’s own planners are working on its Local Plan to enable developers to build hundreds of new homes a short distance away in and around the hamlet of Yanley, on the edge of the Bristol-North Somerset boundary

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The housing application: https://pa.bristol.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=QUDIB0DNHQK00

Sporting Quarter application: https://pa.bristol.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=QUDIACDNHQI00&activeTab=summary

Shockingly both are made by Esteban Investments Limited, because that's the actual company registered at Ashton Gate and part of the Pula Sports group owned by the Lansdowns. 

On 15/07/2022 at 16:25, pongo88 said:

The comment that the Dolman needs replacing crops up on a regular basis. I’m not sure why as it’s hardly a falling down wreck. Obviously all structures have a life expectancy but the Dolman is a simple structure - steel frame with concrete terracing laid in top. The Wedlock stand was nearly 100 years old when it was as demolished but the  steel that supported the roof was still in good condition. Similarly, in the USA, there was a boom of skyscraper building in the 1920s using a steel core, but they haven’t fallen down. Is there a properly qualified structural engineer out there who can give a definitive answer on the Dolman life? 

Structures with quoted life expectations tend to fall into two categories, those whose structural components or facades are known to degrade and where rebuild cost and convenience is preferable to repair and those for whom the services they contain are no likely be supported by the structure's design in the future (function outgrown design.) In addition, one factors in environmental conditions and frequency of use. The figures quoted are usually for insurance and budgetary purposes.  Folks also need to understand what's important in a building (the bits that support its structural integrity and hold it together,) and the bits that are veneer and may be changed (in modern buildings you see all around that extends as far as the curtain walling most think ARE the building which in reality are glorified windows.) 

Steel, if maintained, will easily last a minimum 100-150 years and that assumes a decent amount of weathering and constant usage. Note much of the Dolman's structural support is new and supplemental to original. Its concrete steppings will last far longer than might be first assumed as they're mostly under cover (concrete hates water,) and, importantly, are subject to variable stress only a few hours each year cf a concrete road surface under constant stress variation.

Edited by BTRFTG
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 07/09/2022 at 10:45, billywedlock said:

When looking at the aerial shots and the space around AG and the sporting quarter, I still have to wonder why, when building 2 new stands, we did not move the ground so that the club could have some level of future proofing. They could still have built the sporting quarter around it, but there would be no restrictions for replacing the 2 old stands. Indeed there is space to have built the Ashton Vale stadium design on that plot. 

With a bit more thought and less haste, by turning the pitch through 90 degrees with the Dolman as a behind the goal with 7,000 seats, Ashton Vale would have fitted easily into the space of the area of existing stadium plus the land where the new arena, flats, car parking etc are planned.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

With a bit more thought and less haste, by turning the pitch through 90 degrees with the Dolman as a behind the goal with 7,000 seats, Ashton Vale would have fitted easily into the space of the area of existing stadium plus the land where the new arena, flats, car parking etc are planned.

Where would the team play their football for two plus years and what would have been the financial implications of losing a lot of revenue over that time ?

I'm guessing it was discussed and dismissed.

Would have been good though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Benefit of hindsight.

Lost far too much time with Ashton Vale and needed a new stadium.

Probably was discussed, however don't think Lansdown owned all necassary land at this point (plus businesses still trading)

Where would have played during construction? .... Memorial ?

In an ideal world though - would have been good.

29 minutes ago, City37 said:

Benefit of hindsight.

Lost far too much time with Ashton Vale and needed a new stadium.

Probably was discussed, however don't think Lansdown owned all necassary land at this point (plus businesses still trading)

Where would have played during construction? .... Memorial ?

In an ideal world though - would have been good.

Its an interesting idea, we were obviously playing at ag while 2 new stands were being built anyway, and the atyeo and dolman could have remained open.

Had we done that, the atyeo would have needed to be replaced too, as it would only have reached 2/3 the way down the pitch….  And also,  a lansdown stand where the old east end is would have required several of the houses behind to have been acquired to build back on to.

Ive always had the thought that the houses behind the atyeo would be the ones to acquire, allowing the atyeo to be replaced should an increase in capacity be required, but as time passes they wont be getting any cheaper to acquire!

30 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Its an interesting idea, we were obviously playing at ag while 2 new stands were being built anyway, and the atyeo and dolman could have remained open.

Had we done that, the atyeo would have needed to be replaced too, as it would only have reached 2/3 the way down the pitch….  And also,  a lansdown stand where the old east end is would have required several of the houses behind to have been acquired to build back on to.

Ive always had the thought that the houses behind the atyeo would be the ones to acquire, allowing the atyeo to be replaced should an increase in capacity be required, but as time passes they wont be getting any cheaper to acquire!

I’ve always thought this aswell. People continually bang on about the houses on Ashton road but the ones on Raynes road probably would be the cheapest solution -buying 5 of them would probably do it as opposed to buying 18/19 houses by the park.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

If this doesn't get the go-ahead then Bristol City Council can give up any pretence they care about South Bristol. The employment opportunities the scheme will generate could be life-changing for communities all over South Bristol and further afield. Huge decision to make.  

I'm confident Committee will approve both applications.