Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

RIP Maradona (Merged)


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

The rest of the world dont care about his drug taking, mafia involvement, multiple affairs, denying the existence of children he fathered etc ? Doubt that mate

Bloke was an utter creep

The comment was in reference to making handball legal in his honour.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

Messi has never done it on the international stage (or single handedly won Argentina the World Cup) and never tested himself outside of Spain.....I personally wouldn't rank him above Maradona for those reasons alone.

Sorry to be pedantic but Maradona didn't win the world cup single handed, there were 10 other players on the pitch. Although he contributed to their win with a pass for the 3rd goal he was marked out of the game for much of it, and was well shackled in their 1990 defeat. 

No one would argue about his talent but a role model he is not. As a player I would position him alongside the original flawed genius, Garrincha of Brazil, than the true greats that one could look up to Pele, Bobby Charlton and Franz Beckenbauer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Sorry to be pedantic but Maradona didn't win the world cup single handed, there were 10 other players on the pitch. Although he contributed to their win with a pass for the 3rd goal he was marked out of the game for much of it, and was well shackled in their 1990 defeat. 

Okay, but he got them to the Semi Finals single handedly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • elhombrecito changed the title to RIP Maradona (Merged)
2 hours ago, Bristolisredd said:

But what about Messi ? Was maradona better than Messi ? I don’t think he was 

 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Does Messi have the same level of adulation in Argentina as Maradonna had?   

The best people to judge whether Maradona or Messi is the best would surely be the Argentinians themselves. 
 

My best guess (and based off of a number of sources who’ve experienced football in Argentina) is that, almost to a man, Maradona is on a whole different planet to Messi. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Sorry to be pedantic but Maradona didn't win the world cup single handed, there were 10 other players on the pitch. Although he contributed to their win with a pass for the 3rd goal he was marked out of the game for much of it, and was well shackled in their 1990 defeat. 

No one would argue about his talent but a role model he is not. As a player I would position him alongside the original flawed genius, Garrincha of Brazil, than the true greats that one could look up to Pele, Bobby Charlton and Franz Beckenbauer. 

I know what you mean, team game and all that........

But I’ve always felt that Maradona was one of those very very rare things, a player who single handedly (sic!) won things for teams. Eric Cantona was the other. Napoli would never have won Serie A without Maradona. Some players win the odd game single handedly, they won game after game. 
You could argue that playing for Napoli or Leeds makes that easier: Barcelona were probably good enough to win things even without Messi. But great as Bobby Charlton and Franz Beckenbauer were, I never saw them as being able to win things on their own. 
 

Won’t argue with your view on him as a role model though! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Sorry to be pedantic but Maradona didn't win the world cup single handed, there were 10 other players on the pitch. Although he contributed to their win with a pass for the 3rd goal he was marked out of the game for much of it, and was well shackled in their 1990 defeat. 

No one would argue about his talent but a role model he is not. As a player I would position him alongside the original flawed genius, Garrincha of Brazil, than the true greats that one could look up to Pele, Bobby Charlton and Franz Beckenbauer. 

I don't think you'll find anyone that even remotely thinks he is a role model.  But in terms of talent, he deserves to be up there.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

I recall "The Bounty Hunter" having a feature about Joe Jordan signing him and telling him he will have to sit on the bench and "earn his place" in the team....😆

 

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Yes, I can confirm that Big Joe said this to Little Diego. Although I struggle to recall the little bugger ever playing for us. So:

@GrahamC ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Harry said:

 

The best people to judge whether Maradona or Messi is the best would surely be the Argentinians themselves. 
 

My best guess (and based off of a number of sources who’ve experienced football in Argentina) is that, almost to a man, Maradona is on a whole different planet to Messi. 

The playground test always resolves this:

You are one of two captains, you have first pick from a group of players to pick from, including Maradona and Lionel Messi (both in their prime). You know that if you pick Messi, you will be up against Maradona; but if you pick Maradona, you are up against Lionel Messi.

So who do you pick?

It's easy (for me): you do not ever want to be against Maradona. Not in a playground, at least.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

 

Yes, I can confirm that Big Joe said this to Little Diego. Although I struggle to recall the little bugger ever playing for us. So:

@GrahamC ?

Pretty sure it was an article that was implying Joseph was somewhat cautious in giving youth a chance, rather than that he actually did.

What larks we had then, eh?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Harry said:

 

The best people to judge whether Maradona or Messi is the best would surely be the Argentinians themselves. 
 

My best guess (and based off of a number of sources who’ve experienced football in Argentina) is that, almost to a man, Maradona is on a whole different planet to Messi. 

Harry, Messi isn’t all that popular in Argentina at all.

He left for Barcelona when he was only about 13, so has never played there. 

Plus unlike Diego they haven’t won anything at all in his time with the national team, runners up in one World Cup & 3 Copa Americas.

For so many reasons Diego was just idolised by Argentinians, he was brought up dirt poor, he was a winner who was the national team when he played & his character, basically a lovable rogue, plays well over there.

There is a brilliant book on the history of Argentine football by Jonathan Wilson which explains the difference in perception of the two.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Harry, Messi isn’t all that popular in Argentina at all.

He left for Barcelona when he was only about 13, so has never played there. 

Plus unlike Diego they haven’t won anything at all in his time with the national team, runners up in one World Cup & 3 Copa Americas.

For so many reasons Diego was just idolised by Argentinians, he was brought up dirt poor, he was a winner who was the national team when he played & his character, basically a lovable rogue, plays well over there.

There is a brilliant book on the history of Argentine football by Jonathan Wilson which explains the difference in perception of the two.

Yep. That’s what I was saying. Argentinians, to a man, would say Maradona is the far better player, all day long. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

For so many reasons Diego was just idolised by Argentinians, he was brought up dirt poor, he was a winner who was the national team when he played & his character, basically a lovable rogue, plays well over there.

Even more so in Naples!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

I recall "The Bounty Hunter" having a feature about Joe Jordan signing him and telling him he will have to sit on the bench and "earn his place" in the team....😆

 

9 hours ago, Harry said:

 

6 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

 

Yes, I can confirm that Big Joe said this to Little Diego. Although I struggle to recall the little bugger ever playing for us. So:

@GrahamC ?

 

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Pretty sure it was an article that was implying Joseph was somewhat cautious in giving youth a chance, rather than that he actually did.

What larks we had then, eh?

1342074686_20000101_0421391.thumb.jpg.9027adff1545fef0367493d06019e0ff.jpg

Here you are, Fod: 

"No hay mas que un Bobby Taylor"!

Oh yes.

Season 89-90, obvs. What larks, indeed @GrahamC

Drawn by Matty or was it Keith, @Moments of Pleasure? Perhaps @77 punk might remember.

Thanks for the heads up @Harry, hope you're keeping well mate  👍

  • Like 2
  • Robin 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/11/2020 at 21:53, italian dave said:

I know what you mean, team game and all that........

But I’ve always felt that Maradona was one of those very very rare things, a player who single handedly (sic!) won things for teams. Eric Cantona was the other. Napoli would never have won Serie A without Maradona. Some players win the odd game single handedly, they won game after game. 
You could argue that playing for Napoli or Leeds makes that easier: Barcelona were probably good enough to win things even without Messi. But great as Bobby Charlton and Franz Beckenbauer were, I never saw them as being able to win things on their own. 
 

Won’t argue with your view on him as a role model though! 

Don’t forget PELE as well. No disrespect to Maradona but for me PELE and even George Best was just as good if not better.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...