IGNORED

Semenyo is not a striker they score goals

Anyone else have the feeling he actually "baits" players (and keepers) when closing them down?

To me it feels like when closing down a player he leaves a bit of pace "in reserve" for a final burst.

The Swansea keeper today I think got caught out by this as he pretty half turned away from Semenyo so couldn't see him accelerate.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Better Red said:

I thought someone would want to post something. 

1 in 25 - Yes he’s proved me wrong....

Maybe he’s that 3 a season striker  we’ve been looking for...

Have not posted for the last 6 or so games on the subject as thought we had all finally agreed ‘I was right’....

But one more time, I guess it would not hurt.

Did not want to tell you so but I told you so... 

Great win though and also let me tell you I was screaming when he put it in. 

not sure what you said but something along the lines of he wouldn't score in the championship if that is true you haven't told us so all you have told us is you were wrong.

if you never posted that I apologise but I really can't be arsed to go back over the whole thread just to score a point.

1 hour ago, Better Red said:

I thought someone would want to post something. 

1 in 25 - Yes he’s proved me wrong....

Maybe he’s that 3 a season striker  we’ve been looking for...

Have not posted for the last 6 or so games on the subject as thought we had all finally agreed ‘I was right’....

But one more time, I guess it would not hurt.

Did not want to tell you so but I told you so... 

Great win though and also let me tell you I was screaming when he put it in. 

@Better Red

I'm surprised he managed to hit the target.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marcofisher said:

Great finish mind

28 minutes ago, reddoh said:

not sure what you said but something along the lines of he wouldn't score in the championship if that is true you haven't told us so all you have told us is you were wrong.

if you never posted that I apologise but I really can't be arsed to go back over the whole thread just to score a point.

But right.... 

Gets confirmed every week, well almost every week.

No need to apologise 

He scored his first and only home League goal in the week. He's scored 5 goals in 70 Championship appearances. He's won an award beating a player who scored twice as many goals as he did in the month.

I hope Semenyo really kicks on but he's much to prove and the level of accolade for what he's delivered to date is ridiculous.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3

7 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Some posters desperately trying to justify why Semenyo is still shit and they were actually right all along

the hangover math GIF

A small number of these won’t go away.

He’s been transformed since coming back in to the side v Derby & so have we, the style of play has been very different with him up top.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

He scored his first and only home League goal in the week. He's scored 5 goals in 70 Championship appearances. He's won an award beating a player who scored twice as many goals as he did in the month.

I hope Semenyo really kicks on but he's much to prove and the level of accolade for what he's delivered to date is ridiculous.

So he's damned because he's not as good as Mitrovic? 

He'sbeen a breath of fresh air these past few weeks and long may it continue. 

A well deserved award. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

No one is debating whether he has a lot to prove, he has to show that this isn't a flash in the pan. However the premise of the Original Post and the opinion of the Original Poster have plainly been proved wrong.

He's just turned 22 so is a baby in comparison to Mitrovic, something that the people who gave this award clearly recognised. It's not just about his goals either, look at these figures of goals and assists versus minutes. There should be even more in assists, think of AW missing an open goal against Preston for example.

Screenshot_20220211-084335_BBC Sport~2.jpg

Edited by Port Said Red

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

No one is debating whether he has a lot to prove, he has to show that this isn't a flash in the pan. However the premise of the Original Post and the opinion of the Original Poster have plainly been proved wrong.

He's just turned 22 so is a baby in comparison to Mitrovic, something that the people who gave this award clearly recognised. It's not just about his goals either, look at these figures of goals and assists versus minutes. There should be even more in assists, think of AW missing an open goal against Preston for example.

Screenshot_20220211-084335_BBC Sport~2.jpg

11 goal involvements in 18 games is very very good. Factoring in his age, burst of pace and physicality and we are absolutely right to be excited. Can't fathom why anyone would argue against his award. Viva Semenyo!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

A small number of these won’t go away.

He’s been transformed since coming back in to the side v Derby & so have we, the style of play has been very different with him up top.

It’s almost as if some posters don’t recognise the positional switch that he made too.  Wide forward / winger last season, even wingback at times….to bona fide centre forward this season.

To keep quoting things like 5 in 70 when so many are sub appearances too?

He’s an emerging talent, one who’s on an upward trend.

I think some posters pride has been hurt by jumping on him as “Lg1 at best” a bit too early.  When will OTIB ever learn?

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

11 goal involvements in 18 games is very very good. Factoring in his age, burst of pace and physicality and we are absolutely right to be excited. Can't fathom why anyone would argue against his award. Viva Semenyo!

It’s only 1120 mins too…12.4 game equivalent.  In a bottom half side.

Viva the GOAT!

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s almost as if some posters don’t recognise the positional switch that he made too.  Wide forward / winger last season, even wingback at times….to bona fide centre forward this season.

To keep quoting things like 5 in 70 when so many are sub appearances too?

He’s an emerging talent, one who’s on an upward trend.

I think some posters pride has been hurt by jumping on him as “Lg1 at best” a bit too early.  When will OTIB ever learn?

Yep, 5 goals in his last 11 games is the stat that actually matters. Too early to extrapolate that & make 20 goal a season claims but obvious signs of his progress.

Within that, milestones like his first goal (at Hull) not coming from charging down a clearance (!), then in midweek his first league goal at AG.

All psychological steps on the way to him realising how far he can go.

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

5 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Not sure you understand what 'player of the month' is...

• Flames 1
  • Robin 1

19 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I suspect coaching and a change in style has been a factor, plus playing him more centrally. If people want to carp, let them. I'm just enjoying his performances (and goals).

Spot on. AS himself sees Nige as the main factor in his improved performances by having faith in him to play as a central striker. 

Some of those comments from a few posters last year don't seem to have aged well.

Yes, Semenyo was very frustrating and lacked composure in front of goal, but what a load of toss some people wrote about a very promising 20/21 year old - entertaining looking back though, so I thank them for that.  :clapping:

Couple missing in action or AWOL though.

And a very much deserved POTM award for Semenyo amounts to a two fingered salute to his detractors - well done Antoine .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

This isn’t true, though.

He’s actually scored 7 league goals in 39 starts (& many of them played out wide) & 36 sub appearances (many of them in the last 20 minutes of games).

His 5 league goals this season have come in his last 11 games, which suggests a significant upward trajectory.

It always massively undermines someone’s argument when they use falsehoods to mislead, as our current Prime Minister shows on a daily basis.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Some of those comments from a few posters last year don't seem to have aged well.

Yes, Semenyo was very frustrating and lacked composure in front of goal, but what a load of toss some people wrote about a very promising 20/21 year old - entertaining looking back though, so I thank them for that.  :clapping:

Couple missing in action or AWOL though.

And a very much deserved POTM award for Semenyo amounts to a two fingered salute to his detractors - well done Antoine .

I think the same poster who created this thread had another that trashed pretty much all our young players. Now they are being scouted by PL teams. ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

This isn’t true, though.

He’s actually scored 7 league goals in 39 starts (& many of them played out wide) & 36 sub appearances (many of them in the last 20 minutes of games).

His 5 league goals this season have come in his last 11 games, which suggests a significant upward trajectory.

It always massively undermines someone’s argument when they use falsehoods to mislead, as our current Prime Minister shows on a daily basis.

Apologies, duff data but not by much. 

The kid's done well of late and hopefully will improve but he's much to improve upon. In all competitions for us that's 10 goals in 84 appearances. For those who claim he's been played out wide his assists, historically, haven't been much better. He's had plenty of chances and one might have expected a better return.

But it's not about the past, it's about the future and I hope he starts converting everything that comes his way. I don't however, think lauding him from the rafters for what he's delivered to date does him any favours. That sure didn't when we had those star-striking England youths Shaun Penny & Marvin Brown. Look what became of them?