IGNORED

David Foot

GrahamC

Passed away today aged 92.

Although best known as a cricket writer (of which he was in my opinion one of the best of all time), he covered City for quite some while too & bizarrely was asked by the club to represent them at John Atyeo’s funeral.

He wrote an article I still have a copy of, when he once interviewed Gerry Gow & Lauren Bacall on the same day, it is one of the best things I have ever read.

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Although best known as a cricket writer (of which he was in my opinion one of the best of all time), he covered City for quite some while too & bizarrely was asked by the club to represent them at John Atyeo’s funeral.

He wrote an article I still have a copy of, when he once interviewed Gerry Gow & Lauren Bacall on the same day, it is one of the best things I have ever read.

This one?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2009/jan/20/david-foot-sport-blog?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

91180D0B-C22B-4EC7-8CEC-10CCE2EF0E11.jpeg

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

This is sad news. A marvellous writer - the Gow/Bacall piece is splendid isn't it? He did a first rate piece of whimsy about Cary Grant at Ashton Gate too. 

Didn't realise he was 92, that's a good knock and what an amazing working life - the dust jacket of his biography 'Footsteps from East Coker' gives us some idea: stories about "the austere visitor to East Coker church who turns out to be TS Eliot... a young Peter O'Toole learning his trade at Bristol Old Vic... Viv Richards sitting quietly in the Taunton dressing room after a triple century, talking about God... a snatched interview with Noel Coward, a glimpse of the acting genius of Harold MacMillan..."

His biography of Wally Hammond was shortlisted for Sports Book of the Year in 1996.   

Sadly we won't see his like around here again as both Sport and local journalism ain't what they were - Sport has become Business, serious, professional and all about cold, hard winning. Where does that leave a writer who excelled in stories full of warmth, humour, humanity?

As for local journalism, I think we all recognise the sorry state that's become. In the 1950s, Foot worked at The Bristol World in Silver Street alongside Tom Stoppard, that's Tom Stoppard England's greatest living playwright. Compare a writer of that stature working on a Bristol newspaper to the illiterate chipmunks now employed over at Temple Way. 

What chance of Vic coming out of retirement to pen a few valedictory words for the Guardian tomorrow?    

4 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

This is sad news. A marvellous writer - the Gow/Bacall piece is splendid isn't it? He did a first rate piece of whimsy about Cary Grant at Ashton Gate too. 

Didn't realise he was 92, that's a good knock and what an amazing working life - the dust jacket of his biography 'Footsteps from East Coker' gives us some idea: stories about "the austere visitor to East Coker church who turns out to be TS Eliot... a young Peter O'Toole learning his trade at Bristol Old Vic... Viv Richards sitting quietly in the Taunton dressing room after a triple century, talking about God... a snatched interview with Noel Coward, a glimpse of the acting genius of Harold MacMillan..."

His biography of Wally Hammond was shortlisted for Sports Book of the Year in 1996.   

Sadly we won't see his like around here again as both Sport and local journalism ain't what they were - Sport has become business, it's serious, professional and all about cold, hard winning. Where does that leave a writer who excelled in stories full of warmth, humour, humanity?

As for local journalism, I think we all recognise the sorry state that's become. In the 1950s, Foot worked at The Bristol World in Silver Street alongside Tom Stoppard, that's Tom Stoppard England's greatest living playwright. Compare a writer of that stature working on a Bristol newspaper to the illiterate chipmunks now employed over at Temple Way. 

What chance of Vic coming out of retirement to pen a few valedictory words for the Guardian tomorrow?    

You read the Wally Hammond one yet?

Synopsis: Wally was miserable and undoubtedly depressed, not helped by the emergence of Don Bradman. Drank too much, didn't have enough money. Nice cover drive, though.

12 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Synopsis: Wally was miserable and undoubtedly depressed, not helped by the emergence of Don Bradman. Drank too much, didn't have enough money. Nice cover drive, though.

Yes, getting there. It's quite a serious read by Foot's standards but none the worse for that. 

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I loved that article Graham, thanks for reminding me. My brief association with Mr Foot was when he wrote an article in the Western Daily to preview '1909 Replayed', the Supporter's Trust, Centenary celebration of City's only FA Cup Final appearance against Manchester United, back in April 2009 at Crystal Palace Athletic Stadium. He turned down my invitation to the event due to celebrating his 80th that day. Lovely fella. Will be very much missed.

49 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yes, getting there. It's quite a serious read by Foot's standards but none the worse for that. 

As is the Gimblett one, a brilliant book on a very troubled man.

Sorry if I’ve told you this anecdote before but I only ever saw him once, he was walking round the boundary between innings at a Somerset game, I noticed that rather than the usual belt he was keeping his trousers up with some string.

You can take the boy out of Somerset...

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

23 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

As is the Gimblett one, a brilliant book on a very troubled man.

Sorry if I’ve told you this anecdote before but I only ever saw him once, he was walking round the boundary between innings at a Somerset game, I noticed that rather than the usual belt he was keeping his trousers up with some string.

You can take the boy out of Somerset...

Just reading the Introduction to my copy of Foot's 'Fragments of Idolatry', he says - "When I write about sport, mostly cricket, my reflections emanate usually from somewhere between the dressing room and the psychiatrist's couch. I like to observe how my subject plays; even more how he thinks, what worries him. It is true that I have been inclined to study complex, unfulfilled and, in some cases, sad people."

The dustjacket has a quote from E.W.Swanton - "David Foot is a writer of deep perception and rare sympathy".

PS. I think Hammond - England's greatest ever batsman bar WG - deserves a bit better than just "nice cover drive"! 

Remind me again which county those 2 giants played for? ? No don't, let's not start. 

10 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I remember my dad (aka Wally Hammond's greatest fan) finding parts of that book hard to believe. The Hammond he knew always had time for the young fans at the County Ground and was one of the finest slip catchers he ever saw, "I don't think you could have reflexes like that if you drink too much" he would say. 

He thought it was true that being a contemporary of Bradmans meant he didn't get the credit he deserved, and that itbplayed on his mind, his teacher probably summed it up when he said, "Watch Bradman for runs, but Hammond for technique".

Having said all that, he still enjoyed the book.

By the way, hardback copies of his books must be hard to come by, judging by some of the prices on Amazon!

Screenshot_20210526-063038_Amazon Shopping.jpg

14 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Fantastic, isn’t it?

Loved reading his stuff.

Great article.

He was a fine writer, as was his friend Frank Keating. Since Frank Keating wrote obituaries for the Guardian, the  most recently published being Murray Walker's, he still appears, despite having died himself in 2013.

Here's the David Foot/Cary Grant at Ashton Gate piece @Merrick's Marvels mentioned: 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2009/may/26/david-foot-cary-grant-bristol-city

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

"Watch Bradman for runs, but Hammond for technique".

What a great quote.

4 hours ago, Red Exile said:

Great article.

He was a fine writer, as was his friend Frank Keating. Since Frank Keating wrote obituaries for the Guardian, the  most recently published being Murray Walker's, he still appears, despite having died himself in 2013.

I always think of Foot and Keating together. The one Somerset CCC, the other Gloucester but with a similar writing style, Keating with added celtic blarney perhaps. 

Keating left to seek his fortune (and chase girls) up that London but Foot turned down job offers from the bright lights of Fleet Street to stay in the West Country as a freelance. Bearing in mind @GrahamC's  observation about his attire - "rather than the usual belt he was keeping his trousers up with some string. You can take the boy out of Somerset..." - perhaps swinging 60s London wasn't quite the place for Mr. Foot. 

Archived