IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

8 hours ago, Malago said:

You're attempting to compete in league 1 with league 2 and non league players.  Unless there's a sudden influx of quality league 1 players it's going to be a long and difficult season.  My guess is we'll hear the first Clarke out chants around about bonfire night.

I beg to differ .. Good team spirit will play a big part in our evolution as a team

Edited by Philgas

45 minutes ago, Griffin said:

Obviously there will be a level of bias no matter how much I say there isn't.. However, in my job I'm lucky enough to visit 20/30 pubs around Bristol a day & 80% of gasheads I hear talking, in relation to their owners wealth, genuinely have delusions of grander and think they are extremely rich and will be huge in the near future, it's honestly laughable and not even solely from a city fans view, crazy. On Tuesday a sag was talking about the opposition in L1 and started talkinh about the teams that were relegated from the championship, I kid you not he said "MK Dons are a load of shit" & "We will beat them easily" madness. I understand all teams have idiot fans just like they have rational ones aka philgas/in the net but with the blue few it seems to be a very one sided percentage.

Fair shout .. in the beginning our new owner said that he wasn't going to throw millions at the team but build from bottom to the top .. youth team etc etc .. community work etc etc .. the hysteria from GasHeads was and still is rather over the top .. I believe we shall improve over the years but by building from a better foundation 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Griffin said:

Obviously there will be a level of bias no matter how much I say there isn't.. However, in my job I'm lucky enough to visit 20/30 pubs around Bristol a day & 80% of gasheads I hear talking, in relation to their owners wealth, genuinely have delusions of grander and think they are extremely rich and will be huge in the near future, it's honestly laughable and not even solely from a city fans view, crazy. On Tuesday a sag was talking about the opposition in L1 and started talkinh about the teams that were relegated from the championship, I kid you not he said "MK Dons are a load of shit" & "We will beat them easily" madness. I understand all teams have idiot fans just like they have rational ones aka philgas/in the net but with the blue few it seems to be a very one sided percentage.

ruddy hell.......you got any jobs going?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Doozerchris said:

Was in Randall's for a pint Tuesday and overheard a couple of lads discussing how when UWE is built the Mem will be turned into a training ground and 1st class academy that will be the envy of Premier league clubs....I kid you not

It's a vision that in the future we'll have a much better set up than we have now .. people are allowed to dream .. some dreams do come true .. by hard work and by pulling together anything is possible. . I'm a realist ..

13 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

My Rovers mate said only last night that they were the 6th richest club in the country, and he believes it.  I pointed out that if he's that rich why is he not splashing any cash on the team to help get to the championship???  No point being the 6th richest club if you don't spend anything!

Our new owner said he wouldn't just throw money at the club but restructure it properly. .. as I said in another reply I am a realist and never thought any different  ... The Post made things worse by over estimating his actual wealth. . Yes he's rich but not as much as The Post suggested 

11 hours ago, INCRED said:

Looks like our summer recruitments have well and truly clarified the gap between us and them

we can throw circa 5 million to a Prem team and an Italian Serie A club for 2 players and they are looking at free transfers at the best

"we're coming for you" yeah of course you are!!

Cough cough ... don't worry we'll be ok 

1 hour ago, Doozerchris said:

Was in Randall's for a pint Tuesday and overheard a couple of lads discussing how when UWE is built the Mem will be turned into a training ground and 1st class academy that will be the envy of Premier league clubs....I kid you not

You sure it wasn't Barber and his drunk Dad?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Philgas said:

Fair shout .. in the beginning our new owner said that he wasn't going to throw millions at the team but build from bottom to the top .. youth team etc etc .. community work etc etc .. the hysteria from GasHeads was and still is rather over the top .. I believe we shall improve over the years but by building from a better foundation 

Surely though to develop the youth team would require significant investment, otherwise a club with a higher classed authority  (like City for example) could just nick your better young players for coins rather than notes.

And now you are playing league one the chances of getting first team regulars from your youth set up is even more difficult as the standard is higher.

Thing is philgas, you sound as if you're burying your head in the sand same as the rest. For a start, if the UWE was being built why is he spending money on the mem ?  Even if it's just a few thousand why bother if the new ground was going to be built within the next 3-4 years it doesn't make sense. It was well known yer old mate piggsy was out in the Middle East with his begging bowl and managed to hoodwink wally the camel fiddler. He's got his money back and is probably counting it in Italy as we speak . Meanwhile wallys telling you all he'll build from the bottom up and take his time because he just hasn't got the money. 

Edited by steviestevieneville
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Thing is philgas, you sound as if you're burying your head in the sand same as the rest. For a start, if the UWE was being built why is he spending money on the mem ?  Even if it's just a few thousand why bother if the new ground was going to be built within the next 3-4 years it doesn't make sense. It was well known yer old mate piggsy was out in the Middle East with his begging bowl and managed to hoodwink wally the camel fiddler. He's got his money back and is probably counting it in Italy as we speak . Meanwhile wallys telling you all he'll build from the bottom up and take his time because he just hasn't got the money. 

'Wally the camel fiddler' made me laugh.

That's all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Philgas said:

It's a vision that in the future we'll have a much better set up than we have now .. people are allowed to dream .. some dreams do come true .. by hard work and by pulling together anything is possible. . I'm a realist ..

You dream on Phil, when Wally came on the scene you lot all thought, Yes were on the gravy train now, big mistake

truth is gravey train.jpg which leaves you withcamel train.jpg enjoy :facepalm:

yep they don't have delusions of granduer and their fans know he's not a billionaire

Topper Gas
Gas 

Topper Gas Avatar

Posting Level

15 hours ago via Tapatalk
Post Options

Post by Topper Gas on 15 hours ago

That's assuming DC/Wael wants promotion this season rather than just to consolidate in Div 1, whilst the UWE is built and we have a ground suitable for Championship football. 

As far as posters now down playing the Al-Qadi's wealth it seems clear the family who own the club are billionaires, or at least the bank they own is worth billions. Whether they want to spend more of their wealth at Rovers is any other matter but financing a training ground and getting the UWE built won't come cheap.
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, The Joker said:

You dream on Phil, when Wally came on the scene you lot all thought, Yes were on the gravy train now, big mistake

truth is gravey train.jpg which leaves you withcamel train.jpg enjoy :facepalm:

He stated from the Off he wasn't going to throw millions at the club it's the hysteria started by the media that's caused the dreamy way in which most GasHeads are now thinking .. FACT  .. I remain a realist ..

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

'Wally the camel fiddler' made me laugh.

That's all.

He's literally doing what he said he was going to do .. sort a new stadium but make the mem a bit more comfortable and not throw millions at the club regarding players etc .. I'm confident in our future 

16 minutes ago, Philgas said:

He's literally doing what he said he was going to do .. sort a new stadium but make the mem a bit more comfortable and not throw millions at the club regarding players etc .. I'm confident in our future 

Make the Mem more comfortable? Have you ever stood on the away terrace, in the rain, craning your neck to the right to try to get a glimpse of what's going on up the other end of the pitch, whilst having the bloke behind you leaning on your back because the terrace is too narrow. One of the worst grounds for away fans in the country. So I would suggest if they find a few bob down the back of the sofa in the boardroom it needs to be spent on that area first before buying some new white plastic garden chairs for the corporate boxes.

Awful.

Edited by myol'man
line added
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Make the Mem more comfortable? Have you ever stood on the away terrace, in the rain, craning your neck to the right to try to get a glimpse of what's going on up the other end of the pitch, whilst having the bloke behind you leaning on your back because the terrace is too narrow. One of the worst grounds for away fans in the country. So I would suggest if they find a few bob down the back of the sofa in the boardroom it needs to be spent on that area first before buying some new white plastic garden chairs for the corporate boxes.

Awful.

Don't you remember the good old days on the terraces ? ..well what we offer is a chance for you to relive the old days ... it's proper old school stuff .. 

• Like 3

The "team" ethic works to a point, but as we found you also need to add better quality, if you want to keep progressing. As you know we struggled for the first half of the season even with a close knit group, who had won the double the previous season, due to not recruiting successfully in the summer; and it wasn't until we added to the quality without diminishing the "team ethic" that we progressed.

Watford and Wimbledon famously in the past progressed from the basement to the top flight, basing it on team work, but of the team that made it to the top only one or two of those original players survived. They managed to add quality at each level, without losing the team ethic.

12 minutes ago, Philgas said:

Well that's what saw us through 2 tough seasons .. look at Leicester. . Iceland  .. and a host of other less fancied teams that have as a unit pulled together! ! Come Onnn !!

When Wally arrived Phil nearly every Gashead I know was not talking about 'pulling together as a unit' to get through a season or about Rovers being a 'less fancied' team.

It was all about how we would DEFINITELY be in the same division by now, claims that Rovers are now the biggest club in Bristol, the richest club in Bristol by far, one of the richest in the country, a new era is a coming blah, blah, blah....

I'm sure I'm not the only City fan who knows a fair few Gasheads through work, in-laws etc who shoot themselves in the foot on a regular basis with laughable predictions and delusions of grandeur. This is why we take the piss so much.

You wait, when it gets announced that funding is in place for the UWE it'll all start again. You can quote me on this..

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Philgas said:

Our new owner said he wouldn't just throw money at the club but restructure it properly. .. as I said in another reply I am a realist and never thought any different  ... The Post made things worse by over estimating his actual wealth. . Yes he's rich but not as much as The Post suggested 

The test on restructuring properly/not spending money will be if you struggle next season and you need to spend in order to stay up.  League 1 isn't a quality division but it's tough, as many bigger clubs will testify, personally I would prefer to take things into my own hands and sign some proven quality upfront to give every chance of success, it's a gamble to not do that and rely on the team spirit in place, which can easily disappear with a poor start (see us last season)