IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

2 hours ago, Seventeen said:

Forgetting he played with us before. 

Two relegations in two not a good look but was our best player when we went down and if you read dons comments months ago Macca was one of their best players too. Kid doesn’t want to play in League 2 like he didn’t with us. 

He was the best player in a dog shit team that finished at the very bottom of the third tier.  Then he got relegated with the Dons. Must be ******* amazing then!

Just cos he doesn’t want to be in League 2 doesn’t mean that he is better than that level. For example I want a promotion at work but if I’m not good enough then I’m not going to get it. They sure as hell won’t go, yeah it’s yours, even though we have much better people, just because you want it.

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

“I’ve lied he’s coming to The Mem thinking he’s going to see them”

How ******* stupid do you have to be thinking that he won’t notice?

Not so much bad Dad, as incredibly dense Dad.

I will dust off an appropriate story that I may have related before.

At college, where I was known to be a City fan, a mate was a keen Notts County fan from a village just outside Nottingham. Neil Warnock was their manager at the time.

IIRC they were in the first and we were in the third.

Some years later another mate noticed that both teams were in the same division and that City was playing at Notts in the next couple of weeks so why not go?

At the time I was going to lots of away games, which were easier to get to from London and the terrace atmosphere was better than for home games, and was up for a old college trip plus someone else was driving.

As it was at Notts we relied upon the County fan to navigate us in given that the rest of us hadn't been there previously.

His directions were slightly hesitant which we put down to the fact that he had never driven and so the road system would be unknown to him.

"Down here", he directed, and we pulled up on a side street with a good view of the football ground.

At this point several questions surfaced:

"Why is nobody else here?" (It was about 2pm)

"Why is it red?"

And finally as we walked closer:

"Why can we see a picture of Brian Clough through the window?".

Yes, you've guessed it. We were at the Forest ground. Anyway we left the car there and walked to Meadow Lane which we knew was the other side of the river and could see from the main road.

It turned out that this "diehard" Notts County fan had not only never been to a game he had never been to the ground.

Anyway, he ticked both off that day.

I think we lost but I remember Stuart Naylor kicking balls up for us to knock around during the warm up, top man.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Seventeen said:

Forgetting he played with us before. 

Two relegations in two not a good look but was our best player when we went down and if you read dons comments months ago Macca was one of their best players too. Kid doesn’t want to play in League 2 like he didn’t with us. 

if the kid doesnt want to play in league 2 then he must only be signing a 8 month contract

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

On a (vaguely) related subject, I see that Mr and W Mrs Barton are proud parents once again, a baby boy.

I wish happiness and good health to all three, and, perhaps somewhat churlishly, wonder what bearing this happy event might have on Mr B’s upcoming Court case.

On the birth of Etienne Barton no less. 

At least dad will have a head start on how to pronounce her name properly.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I will dust off an appropriate story that I may have related before.

At college, where I was known to be a City fan, a mate was a keen Notts County fan from a village just outside Nottingham. Neil Warnock was their manager at the time.

IIRC they were in the first and we were in the third.

Some years later another mate noticed that both teams were in the same division and that City was playing at Notts in the next couple of weeks so why not go?

At the time I was going to lots of away games, which were easier to get to from London and the terrace atmosphere was better than for home games, and was up for a old college trip plus someone else was driving.

As it was at Notts we relied upon the County fan to navigate us in given that the rest of us hadn't been there previously.

His directions were slightly hesitant which we put down to the fact that he had never driven and so the road system would be unknown to him.

"Down here", he directed, and we pulled up on a side street with a good view of the football ground.

At this point several questions surfaced:

"Why is nobody else here?" (It was about 2pm)

"Why is it red?"

And finally as we walked closer:

"Why can we see a picture of Brian Clough through the window?".

Yes, you've guessed it. We were at the Forest ground. Anyway we left the car there and walked to Meadow Lane which we knew was the other side of the river and could see from the main road.

It turned out that this "diehard" Notts County fan had not only never been to a game he had never been to the ground.

Anyway, he ticked both off that day.

I think we lost but I remember Stuart Naylor kicking balls up for us to knock around during the warm up, top man.

He must win the award for the shittest glory hunter in the world..! 

Who supports a team that they'll never actually go & watch - & chooses Notts County..?! 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

He must win the award for the shittest glory hunter in the world..! 

Who supports a team that they'll never actually go & watch - & chooses Notts County..?! 

It was a reaction to his not liking Cloughie and the success of Forest under him.

They were his local team growing up and the only other person I've known from Nottingham was a County fan; though he used to regularly travel to watch them. The only Forest fan I"be known had no connection with Nottingham; they were successful when he was growing up as I remember some kids in school supporting Ipswich for the same reason.

I had just assumed that he had seen them so never quizzed him about it. After all, as you say, if he was a glory hunter then he wouldn't have picked Notts County to support.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Well you celebrated 40 years of going bankrupt :)

No.

I don't think anyone would celebrate going into administration.

We celebrated the AG8 which is totally different and, to a very large degree, brought the club closer to its fanbase.

Anyway you have a great time at your clubs celebration of something minor that happened 50 years ago.

Bless.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

On a (vaguely) related subject, I see that Mr and W Mrs Barton are proud parents once again, a baby boy.

I wish happiness and good health to all three, and, perhaps somewhat churlishly, wonder what bearing this happy event might have on Mr B’s upcoming Court case.

So does that mean he “allegedly” roughed her up when she was pregnant?

37 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

To go bankrupt you’ve got to have some money and assets in the first place. With Rovers, it’s a case of if you’ve got nothing you’ve got nothing to lose 

50 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Always baffles me that Rovers' fans don't get what happened in '82.

The whole point of everything that happened was that we did NOT go bankrupt. 

It was close & we would have done,  but we were saved from it - hense why marking it & paying respects to those that helped. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Always baffles me that Rovers' fans don't get what happened in '82.

The whole point of everything that happened was that we did NOT go bankrupt. 

It was close & we would have done,  but we were saved from it - hense why marking it & paying respects to those that helped. 

Just to correct you: The club WAS declared bankrupt - the players reluctantly agreed a deal to save the newly formed BCFC82

• Confused 1

I don't get the whole 1982 jibe from rovers fans, it literally doesn't bother me or any city fan I've ever spoken to about it. In fact its normally laughed off as another poor attempt at the rovers to somehow make them feel superior. Regardless if we did go bust, we still managed to overtake them and have found ourselves above them for nearly 20 years. What is even funnier is that rovers have actually fallen out of the league without a points deduction or financial issues.....far more embarrassing.

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Bob Taylor is GOD said:

Just to correct you: The club WAS declared bankrupt - the players reluctantly agreed a deal to save the newly formed BCFC82

Bcfc 1982were formed and the creditors agreed 20 in the £. Theŕe was no bankruptcy. The old company were later wound up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I don't get the whole 1982 jibe from rovers fans, it literally doesn't bother me or any city fan I've ever spoken to about it. In fact its normally laughed off as another poor attempt at the rovers to somehow make them feel superior. Regardless if we did go bust, we still managed to overtake them and have found ourselves above them for nearly 20 years. What is even funnier is that rovers have actually fallen out of the league without a points deduction or financial issues.....far more embarrassing.

Yeah it makes no sense as an insult. They are basically just saying "Haha, you pretty much lost everything and then you overtook us within just a few years! Haha".

Weirdos. 

• Like 3