IGNORED

Who are these players?

dunsteral

In Nigel Pearson's presser yesterday he was quite vehemant that come january he "will get rid of the players who dont want to be here"

Who is he referring to   any ideas?

One thing that always occurs to me when a manager (all of them not just pearson) is under pressure for poor results they accuse players

of not carrying out the managers instructions and that is why they lost. They never accept that if the players do carry out the managers

instructions but they lose anyway it may be because his instructions are the wrong ones anyway.

It seems to me that players these days have to play to the managers instructions and are not allowed to express themselves for fear of

getting a bollocking because they dont do what the managers tell them to.

Surely there has to be some room for flair or expression but it seems like ther isn,t.

I think NP has looked at our squad, and seen a number of internationals; as well as former England U21s. These are not some 20-23 year olds on their first season in the Championship after moving up from L1 & L2. These are experienced professionals who are not applying themselves in any real effective way.

The team sheet tomorrow should indicate who he is pointing the finger at. With Conway & Semenyeo probably on the bench, or possibly even starting, over the next two games, we'll have a better idea.

• Like 1

We don’t know…..yet.

Might be some clues as early as tomorrow at 2pm when we see the teamsheet.

He’s talked up players like Semenyo, so you’d imagine he’d at least make the 18.

Excluding the keepers, here’s who is available tomorrow as far as we know.

RB: Vyner, Simpson (2)

CB: Kalas, Baker, Atkinson (3)

LB: Dasilva, Pring (2)

CM: Williams, Massengo, Bakinson (3)

AM: Palmer, Scott (2)

WM: O’Dowda, Semenyo, Janneh, Benarous (4)

FW: Martin, Weimann, Wells, Bell, Conway (5)

I make that 21 players for 16 shirts.  5 players won’t be getting kitted up tomorrow.

Tanner, King, James, Cundy injured.  When they are back, that’s 8 of the above players not getting in the MD18.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We don’t know…..yet.

He’s talked up players like Semenyo, so you’d imagine he’d at least make the 18.

I make that 21 players for 16 shirts.  5 players won’t be getting kitted up tomorrow.

Tanner, King, James, Cundy injured.  When they are back, that’s 8 of the above players not getting in the MD18.

thanks @Davefevs

When you put that team on paper, it does look weak doesn't it.

I understand NP wanting to work with a smaller squad. But when a large number of that aforementioned small squad are either injured, out of form or as he puts it "Not on the bus"; then there is very little to work with.

Hence the flogging of Martin, Weimann and James (until his injury).

Benarous reminded me a lot of when Semenyeo first came into the team, when he played against Barnsley. Completely out of pace/Understanding of the team. It was a bizarre decision that @GrahamCand I were dumfounded by.

Scott's early season promise has given way to being ponderous, and lacking confidence. It's always difficult of course being 18, and playing in a struggling side. But that leaves Palmer as the only attacking Midfielder. Hence why we've scored so little goals at home of course.

What does he do, put the kids in? (Conway, Bell, Jannah, Bakinson again...?). NP talks about having experienced players. We have experienced players that are just not performing to anywhere near the required standard.

Getting further experienced players in the Jan window is going to be very very difficult. You only really then get young players, or experienced players with an attitude problem/issue that have fallen out with their current team; and aren't playing. For every Tomlin that you get in of this ilk(from his loan spell, before he turned into one of those for us on a permanent), there are countless others that have had virtually no real impact.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Palmer, Dasilva, Vyner, Wells and I have a feeling it might be Bakinson too.

that would be my "top 5" as well. Based on the teams/squad Nige has selected - and the subs made - when these players have been fit and available. 

Three of them signed for relatively high fees by Championship standards. Bakinson was only £500K though I think.

4 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

that would be my "top 5" as well. Based on the teams/squad Nige has selected - and the subs made - when these players have been fit and available. 

Three of them signed for relatively high fees by Championship standards. Bakinson was only £500K though I think.

Unfortunately like with any footballer a move just doesn't work out or they are just not up to scratch. Maybe attitude is a big factor I like Nige's ruthless side it has been too cosy for too long.

• Robin 1

18 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

thanks @Davefevs

When you put that team on paper, it does look weak doesn't it.

think it’s “okay”, but assumption that Williams, Baker, Atkinson coming back makes it look so much better than pre-break / Cov.  Fingers crossed Semenyo can make an impact too.

I understand NP wanting to work with a smaller squad. But when a large number of that aforementioned small squad are either injured, out of form or as he puts it "Not on the bus"; then there is very little to work with.

yes, and I think it further highlights that ideally he would’ve got shot in the summer, but couldn’t….and had to make decisions he didn’t want to on those he let go.  Pure guesswork….Jamie Paterson???

Hence the flogging of Martin, Weimann and James (until his injury).

In Martin’s case the one noticeable game he came off after 65 mins was QPR when we had a strong bench….Semenyo coming on to decent effect.  The other was Forest, when again we had a relatively strong bench, was replaced by Massengo. So hopefully with a strong bench tomorrow, means less reticence to leave him on if he’s starting to tire.

Benarous reminded me a lot of when Semenyeo first came into the team, when he played against Barnsley. Completely out of pace/Understanding of the team. It was a bizarre decision that @GrahamCand I were dumfounded by.

??

Scott's early season promise has given way to being ponderous, and lacking confidence. It's always difficult of course being 18, and playing in a struggling side. But that leaves Palmer as the only attacking Midfielder. Hence why we've scored so little goals at home of course.

Think he’s generally been good when he’s featured:

image.thumb.png.3715d63d11d15b66c7abc4c592e23292.png

What does he do, put the kids in? (Conway, Bell, Jannah, Bakinson again...?). NP talks about having experienced players. We have experienced players that are just not performing to anywhere near the required standard.

Think he’s getting to the point where performance / results will negate the relevance of age and experience and he’ll play those that get the job done.  If that’s a bunch of 20 year olds, so be it.  Not ideal though.  But we have imbalance in our age bands at first team level.  Only Bentley and Kalas of the guaranteed starters are between 25-29.

Getting further experienced players in the Jan window is going to be very very difficult. You only really then get young players, or experienced players with an attitude problem/issue that have fallen out with their current team; and aren't playing. For every Tomlin that you get in of this ilk(from his loan spell, before he turned into one of those for us on a permanent), there are countless others that have had virtually no real impact.

I guess experienced doesn’t have to mean 28+ (I know you didn’t say that).  Joe Williams (24) is experienced….a couple like that would do nicely.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

We don’t know…..yet.

Are Baker and Atkinson confirmed as well Fevs? Or are we assuming so based on the nature of initial injury?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

We don’t know…..yet.

I'm still a bit confused re CoD…was he injured before he went off to International duty? He featured in a couple of fixtures… I've lost track completely!

Has he been left out because of injury or because he doesn't fit the team? Or what?

2 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Are Baker and Atkinson confirmed as well Fevs? Or are we assuming so based on the nature of initial injury?

Baker is fit, quote something along the lines of “he’s trained really well this morning”.

Atkinson, “yes, he’s training, he’s training”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I'm still a bit confused re CoD…was he injured before he went off to International duty? He featured in a couple of fixtures… I've lost track completely!

Has he been left out because of injury or because he doesn't fit the team? Or what?

Callum has been in the last 9 Match day 18s, starting 3 (and subbed off in 2), coming on as sub in 3, and an unused sub in 3.  This follows the injury he picked up on the opening day.  He played the full 90 v Coventry.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Callum has been in the last 9 Match day 18s, starting 3 (and subbed off in 2), coming on as sub in 3, and an unused sub in 3.  This follows the injury he picked up on the opening day.  He played the full 90 v Coventry.

so he's been fully fit for all of those…

I wonder if he'll feature more now…?

It’s all interesting speculation but January is some time away.
3 games in a week, 2 at home, I’m more interested in seeing whether NP can get a tune out of what he has… so far it’s been a lot of talk and “jam tomorrow”. If results (and hopefully performances) don’t improve it might not be NP’s problem to decide who goes in January. 
The blame and binning of players is frustrating it would seem better to me if we were also seeing other players doing their jobs well and improving with good coaching… I’ve not seen a lot of evidence! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Baker is fit, quote something along the lines of “he’s trained really well this morning”.

Atkinson, “yes, he’s training, he’s training”

Personally, think Atkinson has been one of the issues with our defence. Bit of inexperience regarding positioning, slow recovery on occasions. Don’t think he’s as ‘oven-ready’ as it first appeared. Very rarely do Bristol City buy anyone of his age and lack of experience and get them fully functioning as an ever-present in the first team. Far from being one of Nige’s names in terms of shipping out though. 

Would agree with ‘2015’ and ‘Tin’ on the list. Only two that disappoint me is Wells and Dasilva. These are players who, if used correctly, could be assets - Wells leading the line and Dasilva wide midfield (his height was always going to be an issue at fullback- once the opposition had sussed it, which they did early on). I suppose the question is though, given their wages, will they ever deliver value for money.  The rest, well, even though some have undoubted talent, it’s application, desire and heart that’s all too frequently missing. You don’t get away with less than 100% in the Championship. 

• Like 3

Not saying this is the side I’d pick tomorrow, but if Nige went with this, I’m not sure there could be too many excuses for not getting a performance (result is a different matter).

Bentley

Kalas | Baker | Atkinson | Pring

Semenyo | Williams | Massengo | O’Dowda 

Weimann | Martin

• Like 8

1 minute ago, RedRock said:

Personally, think Atkinson has been one of the issues with our defence. Bit of inexperience regarding positioning, slow recovery on occasions. Don’t think he’s as ‘oven-ready’ as it first appeared. Very rarely do Bristol City buy anyone of his age and lack of experience and get them fully functioning as an ever-present in the first team. Far from being one of Nige’s names in terms of shipping out though. 

Would agree with ‘2015’ and ‘Tin’ on the list. Only two that disappoint me is Wells and Dasilva. These are players who, if used correctly, could be assets - Wells leading the line and Dasilva wide midfield (his height was always going to be an issue at fullback- once the opposition had sussed it, which they did early on). I suppose the question is though, given their wages, will they ever deliver value for money.  The rest, well, even though some have undoubted talent, it’s application, desire and heart that’s all too frequently missing. You don’t get away with less than 100% in the Championship. 

I think Atkinson has settled pretty well, although I’m not expecting Kalas / Baker levels from him.  We’ve had a pretty inconsistent pairings all the way across the back 4/5 this season which doesn’t help.

• Like 1