IGNORED

Nigel Press Conference Pre Swansea

And Its Smith

40 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Totally agree with Nigel on this one.

I don't think JLs comments were mentioned much on here but in my opinion the bloke is off his head if he thinks we are underperforming based on the players available

Completely agree, NP has absolutely nailed the last few years there.

Lets face it, he’s forgotten more about football than JL has ever known. JL is a fan, a wealthy one but just a fan. 

I have often thought SL and JL have been deluded about our squad over the last couple of years. NP is right, they are over achieving in some areas, not under achieving. Our squad is light years behind a top six let alone top two side, something we’ve clearly seen when playing the likes of Fulham. 

It will be interesting to see how this develops, although I do know for a fact that until this point JL has absolutely backed NP without question and believes he is the key to unlock success. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

With Nige on this. Was very interesting how he deals with, I assume, James Piercy, there was a lot of very good questions and it got Nigel talking. Explaining how the desire from players has to come from them. It is what all coaches talk about and is a critical factor in recruitment profiling today. I also agree with him that in 12 months we have created huge value in our younger players, and thanks to that we can offset one day some of the losses and issues with FFP. That alone is a massive success this season, far more than a league position. In the end, it matters very little ultimately if you finish 7 th or 21 st. It is also correct he calls out the folly of the past, and so good that he wants to build a future. He talked about the very close relationship with the Academy. These are all fundamentals and will help define our club in the future. JL should have been talking about those positives, because it has been decades the Lansdown's have talked about it but never got anyone to really buy into it or deliver it. They should have been signing the praises of this approach and describing a club in transition for the financial mess they got us into (that they have to pay for but we all suffer with) and how incredible the progress of our young starlets. So yes, if I was Nige I would be seriously upset at JL comments as it fails to recognise Nige has created in 12 months 3 £10 M players . Hello JL.....

I imagine James Piercy likes having Nigel to rut antlers with.  A reflection of his management technique. Challenges people to be better. 

Clearly lost on Jon...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Forza Gould and Pearson really

I totally trust those two to sort us out 

Yes, there are other things going on behind the scenes where Gould is showing a completely different approach to his predecessor.  The future has potential (that’s a crap thing to right, but you know what I mean)!

16 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

With Nige on this. Was very interesting how he deals with, I assume, James Piercy, there was a lot of very good questions and it got Nigel talking. Explaining how the desire from players has to come from them. It is what all coaches talk about and is a critical factor in recruitment profiling today. I also agree with him that in 12 months we have created huge value in our younger players, and thanks to that we can offset one day some of the losses and issues with FFP. That alone is a massive success this season, far more than a league position. In the end, it matters very little ultimately if you finish 7 th or 21 st. It is also correct he calls out the folly of the past, and so good that he wants to build a future. He talked about the very close relationship with the Academy. These are all fundamentals and will help define our club in the future. JL should have been talking about those positives, because it has been decades the Lansdown's have talked about it but never got anyone to really buy into it or deliver it. They should have been signing the praises of this approach and describing a club in transition for the financial mess they got us into (that they have to pay for but we all suffer with) and how incredible the progress of our young starlets. So yes, if I was Nige I would be seriously upset at JL comments as it fails to recognise Nige has created in 12 months 3 £10 M players . Hello JL.....

Instead JL looked to cover him and his dad’s arse and deflect it onto the Team / Nige.  Nice!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I imagine James Piercy likes having Nigel to rut antlers with.  A reflection of his management technique. Challenges people to be better. 

Clearly lost on Jon...

James asks good questions, importantly listens to the answers / responses and frames the next questions from that…asking his initial question again if he doesn’t get a satisfactory first answer.  He gets long answers back as a result.  You can tell that Nige reads what he writes and respect is mutual.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1

Just putting a question out there. Would it be fair to say that JL has made a statement saying that we're underperforming so far? Not standing up for the guy but, surely there's more to it than that. Did he expect that with the players we have at the club that we'd have performed better? Did he say that if players had stayed fit then we'd have expected to have performed better? I must admit I've only seen his quote.

There seems to be a difference in what JL is referring to as performing and, what NP refers to as performing. JL appears to be referring to points gained by the club, where as NP refers to players performances.

I'm with NP all the way but, it does seem that people are taking quotes too literally and until the true meaning of JL's words are defined, then people are beating him up for a not to an apparent reason. 

Thanks for reading.

Steve.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Just putting a question out there. Would it be fair to say that JL has made a statement saying that we're underperforming so far? Not standing up for the guy but, surely there's more to it than that. Did he expect that with the players we have at the club that we'd have performed better? Did he say that if players had stayed fit then we'd have expected to have performed better? I must admit I've only seen his quote.

There seems to be a difference in what JL is referring to as performing and, what NP refers to as performing. JL appears to be referring to points gained by the club, where as NP refers to players performances.

I'm with NP all the way but, it does seem that people are taking quotes too literally and until the true meaning of JL's words are defined, then people are beating him up for a not to an apparent reason. 

Thanks for reading.

Steve.

https://twitter.com/bristolcitylive/status/1493994441648087052?s=21

Read the quotes in the above…not the stuff around it from the post.

Anyone else slightly worried about the club and next season? 

Pearson is absolutely the right man for us, but I worry that JL or SL ego will **** this up. They need to be told some home truths, by a proper football manager, not a yes man. 

We're told that we might get a points deduction next season due to our financial situation, yet we're underachieving this season?! It's likely we'll sell our best players, which would mean we're possibly less attractive to watch, as we need to build a team around our best players, not sell them. 

And if we sell them, I worry Pearson won't want to stick around any longer. Which really would put us back to square one, with no decent talent and no decent manager to sort the crap out. 

And the club seemingly cutting 15 mins out of a press conference because they don't want what NP said to be aired? The fans want real insight, not propaganda from the club, trying to paint a rosey picture. 

This is why many of us trust Nige to sort us out. Problem is, mot so many trust he'll get the backing. 

Edited by Akira
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

James asks good questions, importantly listens to the answers / responses and frames the next questions from that…asking his initial question again if he doesn’t get a satisfactory first answer.  He gets long answers back as a result.  You can tell that Nige reads what he writes and respect is mutual.

Spot on.  That is how the relationship should be.  

6 minutes ago, Rich said:

Thanks for reading.

Steve.

I don't know if JL really knows what he said or was trying to say.  He's probably too busy trying to remove his foot from his mouth

• Haha 1

Just to add, before any conspiracy gets started.

I emailed Piercy to thank him for publishing Pearson's comments in full, as without that we wouldn't know that Nigel had said it. In the same email I made a presumption that there might have been a request from the Club not to publish. Piercy replied confirming that he'd had no contact from the Club regarding not publishing it. Seems like he decided to publish, and the club didn't. So there's nothing more sinister here than that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My gut feeling is that JL means 'under performing' as in points attained, place in table, rather than how NP has seen it as literal.

All of us have seen progress on the pitch, let down by individual errors in the main.

He can surely see this as well.

Let's face it...Most Chairman/ owners look at results and table, over ' performance' imo. The wouldn't react the way they do otherwise. In fairness...we stick with managers more than most.

However...in recent weeks, I'm getting an impression that NP is feeling the heat from the Board...not just frustrated at the players. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

https://twitter.com/bristolcitylive/status/1493994441648087052?s=21

Read the quotes in the above…not the stuff around it from the post.

Can't sign in to twitter.

Is this what you refer to? "We should be competitively better than we are doing at the moment in the league." ?⚪

I actually agree to a point, and I think many fans would.  I think the players are not giving it their all at times, Seen many of them let their runner go from wide positions and run down the line to get a cross in, making it harder for the defenders, Semenyo did it the other day just jogging back, when we know he has pace to burn. Other times the head goes back and they give up because they weren't sharp enough to react. 

So was the criticism of NP or the team? 

Well- it looks like the Chairman wont be on the bus.

He'll be under it with Bakinson. 

Am I really in the minority to think this has all the hallmarks of a very difficult looming situation?

Whilst I'm fairly ambivalent about Nigel's future at City, I also think this may not end well for all the wrong reasons.

Neither of them should have said what they said without context. Biden and Putin come to mind.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

My gut feeling is that JL means 'under performing' as in points attained, place in table, rather than how NP has seen it as literal.

All of us have seen progress on the pitch, let down by individual errors in the main.

Let's face it...Most Chairman/ owners look at results and table, over ' performance' imo. The wouldn't react the way they do otherwise. In fairness...we stick with managers more than most.

However...in recent weeks, I'm getting an impression that NP is feeling the heat from the Board...not just frustrated at the players. 

You're probably right and they need to back the **** off frankly.  This is their mess that is being cleared up and if they truly think that it matters finishing 12th rather than 16th then they have learned nothing over the last 6 years.

• Like 8
  • Flames 3

1 minute ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Am I really in the minority to think this has all the hallmarks of a very difficult looming situation?

Whilst I'm fairly ambivalent about Nigel's future at City, I also think this may not end well for all the wrong reasons.

Neither of them should have said what they said without context. Biden and Putin come to mind.

Agree, JL's quote was definitely missing context, and NP could have asked in what way did JL mean underperforming.

• Like 1

So in the week where the AG8 are acknowledged for what they did with a bit of lunch and a chance to wave at the fams; we have the manager calling the high wage strategy bonkers, the chairman being surprised the transfer fees expected implode and there, in the background is the CEO talking (albeit it optimistically, rather than expectation) of keeping players (well, one) for 10 years.

Now, I'm not saying nothing has been learnt in 40 years, but.....

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

Agree, JL's quote was definitely missing context, and NP could have asked in what way did JL mean underperforming.

Nige knows what he's doing.  He's dealing with a family like the Leicester owners (Don't expect me to spell their name).  He's probably perfectly adept at relating with his owner about the mishaps of their respective sons..

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Totally agree with Nigel on this one.

I don't think JLs comments were mentioned much on here but in my opinion the bloke is off his head if he thinks we are underperforming based on the players available

Quite right but you have to look at the situation and think that Nige is starting to not give a **** now. Add to that an Owner who certainly doesn’t take criticism well which presumably extends to his family and it does feel like we are at a crossroads……….

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Ambivalent my arse????

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cardy said:

Really poor from Jon Lansdown this week to be frank & Nige has rightly called him out on it. Nige seems to be a man of great integrity & I think he will feel personally let down by what JL has said or atleast with the way he has said it.

Maybe the most worrying thing is the obvious delusion from the Lansdowns that this squad should be performing better. It’s like they still have no real idea of the utter ‘football’ mess we were left in due to their previous negligence & their failed trust in Ashton & their Golden Boy LJ.

A cynic might suggest that JL knew exactly what he was doing………

38 minutes ago, spudski said:

My gut feeling is that JL should have said that he had himself been under performing but we'll never hear that will we ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, spudski said:

Well, it will soon be that time to sell season tickets again and I’d imagine as has happened over the last 5 years or so when our seasons have tended to end up going downhill and disappointing. I think a lot of fans understand the financial and squad mess that  has happened, but it is testing fans patience at a time when cost of living will be forcing a lot of people to make some difficult decisions with prioritising what they should spend their hard earned cash on. I’m sure our owners will be at least be hoping that we can string together a nice little run of results with a few more promising performances, just in time to promote next seasons renewals to the fans.