IGNORED

Nigel Press Conference Pre Swansea

And Its Smith

9 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I didn't really see anything wrong with the guy's questions. It just seems he has a massive downer on the Post because of its player ratings and maybe some of the more speculative transfer stories. But that's local papers. They are the same everywhere. You gotta be thick-skinned and say "they are playing their game, I'm playing mine".

He had similar views about the Leicester Mercury as numerous snarling press conferences can attest. Didn't like the Watford Observer either.

You've just got to be a bit more professional in how you deal with people who are asking questions at press conferences.  They are trying to do a job and it's your job to deal with these Q&As.

And at the end of the day, local media covering football helps rather than hinders interest in the game.  It's in the club's interest to have the paper's interest, even a paper as bad as the BP.

And in any job if you piss people off when you are doing well, you may find they are not inclined to be charitable when you aren't. 

Well, you either suck up to the local press or you don't give a shit about them.

I think NP has made his mind up.

I'll happily listen to him than read bollocks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Well, you either suck up to the local press or you don't give a shit about them.

I don't think Richard Forrester, fairly new to the Post, was either talking (or has written) "bollocks".

I think Pearson was rude to him, and he might rue that one day.

If what you want is just those carefully edited Pearson talking to the club media team videos, then watch away. But you'll not see any questions Pearson doesn't like asked, and those "silly" questions sometimes tell you more than the pre-agreed stuff fed him in his favoured format. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Just admit it, he boils your piss and you want him out the club, so much so that what you bollock him for not doing is what he actually did..............shame for you he isn't going anywhere mind.

Not allowed to criticise the messiah now are we. You know him with worse stats than holden!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I prefer Curtis Fleming doing the press conferences. He goes into quite a bit of detail on things.

Last week Nige said something to the effect of “oh, Curtis told you that did he” with a bit of a mischievous grin!

17 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I think Nige will take some time to warm to people.  It’s not a case of “he’s from Bristol Post, I’m gonna give him a hard time”…because look how much he opens up with James Piercy (from the Bristol Post), and actually has good rapport.  So it works both ways.  Nige will open up to the right questions.  In Rich Forresterks case, he’s a few weeks in, let’s judge him over a bit longer when he’s had chance to build a better relationship.

1 minute ago, frenchred said:

Not allowed to criticise the messiah now are we. You know him with worse stats than holden!

Nige has drawn more ???

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I didn't really see anything wrong with the guy's questions. It just seems he has a massive downer on the Post because of its player ratings and maybe some of the more speculative transfer stories. But that's local papers. They are the same everywhere. You gotta be thick-skinned and say "they are playing their game, I'm playing mine".

He had similar views about the Leicester Mercury as numerous snarling press conferences can attest. Didn't like the Watford Observer either.

You've just got to be a bit more professional in how you deal with people who are asking questions at press conferences.  They are trying to do a job and it's your job to deal with these Q&As.

And at the end of the day, local media covering football helps rather than hinders interest in the game.  It's in the club's interest to have the paper's interest, even a paper as bad as the BP.

And in any job if you piss people off when you are doing well, you may find they are not inclined to be charitable when you aren't. 

But if you watch his previous press conferences, he’s much more open and candid with the better journalists than he is with ones that just reword previous questions . He’s pretty good with radio bristol & even though people had a dig I think a lot of his interviews with Gregor was mischievous . Also the main sports writer at the post ( can’t think of his name) asked some very good questions when taking over from Gregor & you could see nige  had respect for him . 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I'm pleased to see that Nige's nose appears to have recovered after the beating he received from Nahki.

Or was that just yet another scurrilous rumour ??

I can't recall who posted that ridiculous story, but why do they do it? 

People actually believe the complete bollocks spouted on Facebook . There’s a few on here 

7 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

But if you watch his previous press conferences, he’s much more open and candid with the better journalists than he is with ones that just reword previous questions . He’s pretty good with radio bristol & even though people had a dig I think a lot of his interviews with Gregor was mischievous . Also the main sports writer at the post ( can’t think of his name) asked some very good questions when taking over from Gregor & you could see nige  had respect for him . 

He had a go at Forrester before he'd really asked a question. Based on the Post's rating from the Blackpool match.

Good job he didn't read that match thread on Otib!  He'd be comparing us all to large flightless birds.  :laugh:

Seriously, he obviously doesn't particularly enjoy the meet press conference type events. That's OK, everyone's different: Danny Wilson and both Johnsons had an easy relationship with reporters, SOD and Cotterill didn't.

Nonetheless it's part of the job for managers as well as players now. Might as well approach it with some grace. 

4 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I guess it was Richard Forrester but I thought I heard Nige call him Ian. Of course if he did that could be deliberate. An old tactic to throw someone off their stride is to call them by the wrong name. 

Unless Ian Gay has managed to blag his way into a press conference and Nige heard the utter shite he was spouting after the Blackpool match...

1 hour ago, Tafkarmlf said:

It was a Facebook rumour as  was stated. 

Odd that you bring it up, is there a reason?? 

Oh Yes, I remember now.

It wasn’t meant to be a dig at you - as I said I couldn’t remember who posted it - but I saw Nige looking quite fit and well in the Press Conference, recalled the photo from his hospital bed and then remembered the posts from a few days ago mentioning that he had been in a skirmish with NW.

As ever, there was also a post with beer/wine glasses etc., and I was just laughing to myself about the nonsense some people (not you) post.

Much rather listen to Nige than all the other, media trained within an inch of their lives, non answers to non questions. Anyone who has ever heard him being interviewed by a serious journalist, particularly away from day to day football matters, will know that he can be open, engaging and intelligent. These journalists are more than happy to criticize Nige’s professional ability when it suits them, but demonstrate their own lack of professionalism with dumb questions. Ask a silly question get the appropriate answer.  Ask a serious question, you will get a serious answer.

There was a comment above that he just states the obvious. He does, and it’s more than a very large number of managers do. It tells the fans that he sees what we see, which is very reassuring. 

Anyone who has a health disrespect for modern journalism gets my vote. It’s all about sales, and clicks. The daily dose of shock horror and outrage. Not to mention the agendas of the owners of which ever outlet. If a report is accurate, and balanced it will be purely accidental.

• Like 6

It's interesting that his interviews with Twentyman are far less confrontational, I wonder whether that's purely down to the fact that GT has developed into a good interviewer or because he was "in the game"?

The two things I would find most annoying about many of the journalists would be

1 They follow their own script without listening to the answers from the previous questions. E.g.

Journo "Will you be unchanged on Sunday?"

NP "We'd like to be, it will be down to Han's late fitness test".

Journo "How is Han, will he be fit for Sunday?" :facepalm:

The other thing is the closed questions as above, some criticise him for being spikey but to be honest, the fact he says so much to questions he could just say yes or no to should be in his favour.

• Like 6

It doesn’t help when he’s asked question after question after question when the journalist already knows what the answer will be. Nigel isn’t one for going through the motions so it just becomes utterly painful - and some fairly high-profile local journalists are pretty guilty of it.

That said, one of the club media guys managed to get through a recent five-minute post-match interview without even asking a question. It was just a series of statements for Nigel to respond to.

I’m the first to defend other journalists but of the current local ones now, outside Geoff Twentyman and James Piercy, the quality of interviewing is close to abysmal.

• Like 6
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

It's interesting that his interviews with Twentyman are far less confrontational, I wonder whether that's purely down to the fact that GT has developed into a good interviewer or because he was "in the game"?

The two things I would find most annoying about many of the journalists would be

1 They follow their own script without listening to the answers from the previous questions. E.g.

The other thing is the closed questions as above, some criticise him for being spikey but to be honest, the fact he says so much to questions he could just say yes or no to should be in his favour.

Might be an age thing too. They’re from a similar generation and they probably helps Pearson be a bit more amicable. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Absolutely! NP needs to be a bit more accommodating and agreeable when responding to local media- even if, sometimes, the questions are a bit trivial. He is an ambassador for the club, and there’s no need to be so surly, arrogant and disrespectful. He could take a few lessons from Klose, who, in his interview, was polite, thoughtful and engaging!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Spot on. 

Twentyman gets his respect as a fellow ex pro, but he does also ask good probing questions. 

15 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

And he’s maybe pissing them off now when it’s hardly unequivocally true he is doing well here.  It’s not as if he’s walking into a press conference knowing that he’s been a huge success here. He’s acting a bit like he has us challenging for the play offs.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Journalist said:

It doesn’t help when he’s asked question after question after question when the journalist already knows what the answer will be. Nigel isn’t one for going through the motions so it just becomes utterly painful - and some fairly high-profile local journalists are pretty guilty of it.

That said, one of the club media guys managed to get through a recent five-minute post-match interview without even asking a question. It was just a series of statements for Nigel to respond to.

I’m the first to defend other journalists but of the current local ones now, outside Geoff Twentyman and James Piercy, the quality of interviewing is close to abysmal.

Agree with this. The first journalist asked about Klose and then the second one did as well.  If the second one had a Klose question planned he should have scrapped it once the first question was asked 

• Like 1

There is actually an interesting conundrum in the way our home and away form have switched, if the journalist had asked it properly.

You would think that we are actually better suited to breakaway football now than 12 months ago. We suddenly have good pace and power in the side that was almost devoid of both, and yet we seem less effective in the break than before. 

I suppose the argument is that we have conitnued to score goals like that at Preston and Fulham, but have failed to defend as well as before. It's a pity because our away form of 12 months ago coupled with our home form now would probably see us in the top 6.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

People actually believe the complete bollocks spouted on Facebook . There’s a few on here 

People actually believe the complete bollocks spouted on otib. There's a few on Facebook.

14 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

No, you can criticise him all night if you like but he’ll still be Manager next week, next month, next season etc.

If you genuinely believe that then you may have missed how football management works. Anything can happen to change what NP wants or what BCFC wants and, to a lesser extent, what the fans want. 

It goes for players as well- what NP, BCFC and the fans want is to keep our best but there is little evidence that these wishes will be granted.

A lot of the comments regarding the quality of local journalism are pretty accurate. @Red-Robbomakes some really good points and, if memory serves, he has a background in the Newspaper business.

I didn't really bother about the EP/BL for ages but then along comes James Piercy who I think is the best sports writer I've ever read at the EP- he's honest, avoids sensationalism and really gets "under the bonnet" of what's going right or wrong.  My favourite articles (win draw or lose) are by Piercy and Matt Withers and always worth a thorough read.

3 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

A lot of the comments regarding the quality of local journalism are pretty accurate. @Red-Robbomakes some really good points and, if memory serves, he has a background in the Newspaper business.

I didn't really bother about the EP/BL for ages but then along comes James Piercy who I think is the best sports writer I've ever read at the EP- he's honest, avoids sensationalism and really gets "under the bonnet" of what's going right or wrong.  My favourite articles (win draw or lose) are by Piercy and Matt Withers and always worth a thorough read.

You must be a lot younger than I thought you were.

James Piercy is very good, as you say quite rightly, but so were Peter Godsiff and Robin Perry back in the day.

He wrote more for the Western Daily Press (and The Guardian) but David Foot was excellent as well.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

You must be a lot younger than I thought you were.

James Piercy is very good, as you say quite rightly, but so were Peter Godsiff and Robin Perry back in the day.

He wrote more for the Western Daily Press (and The Guardian) but David Foot was excellent as well.

Amazing that Godsiff only left us a couple of years ago. I can remember his byline on City stories in the early 70s.

24 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

James seems to write in a style that feels like you’re having a conversation with him, I really like it.  It’s obvious he really understands his footie.

Hi James if you’re lurking ???

• Haha 1

05:55 "and I've read today that City are keen to extend his deal, is that something that will look after itself?"

What a ******* stupid question, someone is paid for this? I'd love it if Nige replied "No we aren't keen on extending his deal", just to see what the reply would be.

Edited by Marcus Aurelius