IGNORED

Nigel Press Conference Pre Swansea

And Its Smith

31 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Quite right. Let someone else invest in the club and pay off the losses.

Yet another one who cannot distinguish between the 225,000,000 quid spent on "Bristol City" over 20+ years, and the 750,000,000 quid the Lansdowns will make when they sell the ground, land, offices and shops. Oh and the hotels, and apartments and houses on the ex-brownland site....

The Lansdown family will walk away from their football adventure with a huge profit made on the land at AG and AV.

Do you realise that SL is the 998th richest man on Planet Earth?

Or to put it simply - he makes more in investment income in 6 months than he has spent on all the Bristol sport entities on 20 yrs.

For him its the equivalent of us finding a 50p coin down the back of the sofa!

He's made more 'supplying clean water' to a tiny bunch of people in Botswana (via "finding" precious gemstone deposits whilst "searching" for this easy-to-find-water) than he has spent on this sports hobby of his.

I don't know how many times people have to repeat - we are paying rent to Lansdown to play in a stadium we used to own, and when all is sold (which has come a huge cropper just recently btw) SL will walk away quids in.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 3

Am I missing something in that NP said himself that we’ve underachieved in terms of wins and points which we can all agree on. Aren’t NP & JL in essence saying the same things.  What have I missed other than the fact JL didn’t extol some of the positives that NP reiterated (namely young players).   

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Just to add, before any conspiracy gets started.

I emailed Piercy to thank him for publishing Pearson's comments in full, as without that we wouldn't know that Nigel had said it. In the same email I made a presumption that there might have been a request from the Club not to publish. Piercy replied confirming that he'd had no contact from the Club regarding not publishing it. Seems like he decided to publish, and the club didn't. So there's nothing more sinister here than that.

And it's a bit pointless the club censoring the YouTube version when we all know what was said. So more a case of the usual ineptness than conspiracy then.

• Like 1

The concern for me upon NP’s arrival was that this would all end in tears with the board. I think he has remained dignified and committed in the face of a a Sisyphean task. A task made arduous by the mess the same board who are criticising him helped create. Lesser managers and men may have quit on this job by now. 

He’s done well to keep us above the drop all season. 

Edited by Bouncearoundtheground
  • Like 5

Easy to criticise when you are never there the bloke is  ill informed and out of touch with the fans. Let's not forget they buried Holden in the wake of the departure of the yes man and his master. I still think Holden was very unfairly treated and now we have a manager who tells it like it is no bullshit, no puns, just facts and the truth hurts I'm afraid Jon.

Edited by Banjo Red
Spelling
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, ray savino said:

Well, it will soon be that time to sell season tickets again and I’d imagine as has happened over the last 5 years or so when our seasons have tended to end up going downhill and disappointing. I think a lot of fans understand the financial and squad mess that  has happened, but it is testing fans patience at a time when cost of living will be forcing a lot of people to make some difficult decisions with prioritising what they should spend their hard earned cash on. I’m sure our owners will be at least be hoping that we can string together a nice little run of results with a few more promising performances, just in time to promote next seasons renewals to the fans.

I think there are many things that could have a negative affect on season ticket sales.

For all the reasons you say, plus results, entertainment.

Under normal circumstances it maybe different. 

Once cost of living kicks in, plus the past two years that have changed many people's perspective on life.

Then...like myself, the absolute ball ache of travel, parking, planning etc. 

Many have found alternative things to do.

Who knows...

• Like 1

Perhaps Jon Lansdown feels that he has supported NP in the transfer market and recruiting has been poor. Two of the three Leicester recruits will be on good wages and all three are out injured.  None have been stand out successes,The £1.6m buy has struggled a bit and the other recruit is adjusting when playing and also out injured.  He'd be right to be disappointed in that regard. The jury is out though whether he could invest well in players if he gets some money in the summer from either a lucrative sale or a cut from the likes of big money moves Kelly or Webster. I suspect JL sees a few other teams with lesser resources doing well and the likes of Nottingham Forest and Preston with new managers having good seasons. 

That's just part of the picture though. On the credit side NP has blooded youth and got the best out of them. He's handled then impressively and who'd have thought that we'd be talking about valuations of up to £20m for Antoine Semenyo and a very high value for Alex Scott plus Massengo has excelled and had his value enhanced although he needs to extend or be sold in the summer. 

Pearson is a determined man who enjoys a challenge,  I sense he is generally improving the Club more broadly (he also makes the point about differentiating between Club as a whole and the team) and trying to get a winning mentality.  For me it's also key that the standard of football has at long last begun to improve despite the inconsistency.  The reference to things being chaotic shouldn't be ignored either and he's probably depicting things accurately there.   He definitely deserves time in the job and it looks like a head of recruitment is being brought in as well. If that appointment is a success then, at long last, a decent set-up looks like it is being established under Pearson.   He did lay down the roots for Leicester's success without breaking the bank and wants the Club here to be run within its means so he is thinking long-term.   That's a principled position when it may take a bit of time and could even cost him his job.  City do give managers time and I think, as long as he stays healthy, patience will reap rewards with NP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cardy said:

Really poor from Jon Lansdown this week to be frank & Nige has rightly called him out on it. Nige seems to be a man of great integrity & I think he will feel personally let down by what JL has said or atleast with the way he has said it.

Maybe the most worrying thing is the obvious delusion from the Lansdowns that this squad should be performing better. It’s like they still have no real idea of the utter ‘football’ mess we were left in due to their previous negligence & their failed trust in Ashton & their Golden Boy LJ.

I've actually been quite supportive of JL in the past.

But he's had a nightmare in what he said.

There is much much more support for NP than him, but we all know that the Lansdowns have a very thin skin.

NP needs to watch his back imo.

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

I've actually been quite supportive of JL in the past.

But he's had a nightmare in what he said.

There is much much more support for NP than him, but we all know that the Lansdowns have a very thin skin.

NP needs to watch his back imo.

He’ll be on a nice little compo package, he will sleep well tonight ?

Never been impressed with Jon Lansdown. He doesn’t look or sound like a leader. He doesn’t inspire, he doesn’t have any natural authority or presence. I really don’t know what he brings to the table. We don’t hear much from him and now when we do he’s said something stupid and unhelpful.

Contrast Nigel Pearson, who has all of those qualities that Lansdown doesn’t and a track record of success built on his own achievements, not those of his dad.

Jon Lansdown should shut up and let Pearson get on with the job.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

27 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Not with the Lansdown’s running the show no. In fact you could argue we are due a basket case decision from the top. They own our football club but football family they ain’t.

We are indeed, a robust six week process to appoint his successor only to give the job to an ex player with no experience of management. Or *shudder* bring the prodigal son back in from the cold... 

2 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

I don't know how many times people have to repeat - we are paying rent to Lansdown to play in a stadium we used to own, and when all is sold (which has come a huge cropper just recently btw) SL will walk away quids in.

Explain the figures to me- the ones where he'll walk away 'quids in'.

5 hours ago, Mr Hankey said:

Well this will piss off a lot of people who think the club would be nothing without the Lansdowns….

It’s not as simple as that.

Without the Lansdowns, would we have had an owner so willing to pump money into the club for 20 years? Probably not.

Might we have had an owner with more football-savvy, who would have got us to the Premier League? Quite possibly.

The guys who think SL is here for a quick buck I have to ask, how do you see that actually panning out? Unless you think SL is another Steve Dale, it seems like nonsense.

The questionable-at-best running of the club, fuelled in recent years by a man who was run out of Watford and Wycombe, has plenty of questions to answer tho

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Not sure what thread this belongs in, but clicking on the link in the tweet didn't bring up a Paywall.

He has long favoured a salary cap but it did not occur to him to cap our own salary budget. Instead he chose to allow Ashton to keep increasing costs and gambling that we would go on raising big money from an inflated transfer market to cover the extravagance.

Practice what you preach Steve.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

Not just the championship, football in general needs salary caps. 

It could be structured, so obviously higher salaries in the prem, but it all needs to be proportionate with the other leagues, and realistic. 

Sadly, the key word being realistic, means it just won't happen. It'll rock the boat too much. If all the clubs have been essentially gambling in the championship, you'd think the teams would all agree on a wage cap. 

The message is a little watered down when it's only when a club is in trouble with the league over finances, will they then speak up. SL should've been calling for a wage cap, screaming from the rooftops, for years, and trying to rally all the other teams to do the same. It's no good asking for a cap now that we're in trouble... 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

He has long favoured a salary cap but it did not occur to him to cap our own salary budget. Instead he chose to allow Ashton to keep increasing costs and gambling that we would go on raising big money from an inflated transfer market to cover the extravagance.

Practice what you preach Steve.

We seem to go through stages.

Minor investment optimised by great management - Johnson Snr/Cotterill

Large investment put to waste, haemorrhage money - end of Johnson Snr/some of Johnson Jnr/Millen

“We’ve decided to cut our cloth and stop this excess spending once and for all” - McInnes, Pearson

Repeat ad nauseum.

Edited by RonWalker
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, spudski said:

My gut feeling is that JL means 'under performing' as in points attained, place in table, rather than how NP has seen it as literal.

All of us have seen progress on the pitch, let down by individual errors in the main.

He can surely see this as well.

Let's face it...Most Chairman/ owners look at results and table, over ' performance' imo. The wouldn't react the way they do otherwise. In fairness...we stick with managers more than most.

However...in recent weeks, I'm getting an impression that NP is feeling the heat from the Board...not just frustrated at the players. 

Having stepped back and re-read all articles and listened to Jon’s interview on BBCRB yesterday, I think it’s possibly all a bit over-egged…and read / listened again neither is quite as bad as they first feel.

• Like 3