IGNORED

Mifsud Off

Rocky

I think GJ is finding it difficult to find class players to come here, because these players tend to worry about money and stepping stones to higher clubs.Where as when we were in the lower league we were reguarded as a big club and the players were excited to come here,not use us as a bit of publicity so that other clubs come in for them on higher wages.good riddance.I personally think that TRUNDLE is going to shine this season and i GJ will find the right player.

Or any players that may be about to sign for us, may think "Oh shit", " No point in trying to take this piss out of this lot with my wage demands and little extra's in my contract", " as they'll just pull the plug on any likely deal"!

People will realise that we're not a soft touch and just an easy place to pick up their thousands of pounds-a-week wages, I'm happy with that.

Absolutely and I entirely support Gary in this. But people outside the club may still get the wrong impression if all they see is us announcing signings then un-announcing them without understanding the reasons.

BTW I wonder whether Mifsud's behaviour explains why Colin said not only that he had not bid for him but never would?

I have faith in Gary Johnson, does he have faith in himself?

I realise the importance of the dressing room morale, it was the key to what we achieved last season in my view. I just feel that we might need to start taking a bit more of a chance on one or two ego's. I know it's £1.5m, but that's where we are as a football club and if there are talented players who need to be brought down to earth in order to add value to our club, then I believe Gary Johnson is one of the few managers in this country who could do it.

Just a thought.

Ah well, onto the next.

I just hope whoever the next targets are they're kept firmly under wraps until the ink is dry.

In the mean time we'll just have to put up with the panicking on here - time for a "transfer whinging" sub forum?

Quite right. I can't help feel that the club are slightly pandering to the forum with all the little clues that are coming out (just to keep the panicky types happy) . I'd much prefer they said bollox to the forumites and just on with their job and announce whatever, whenever they are ready.

I'm happy enough with Gary's response. We could have had both Mifsud and Meteb but GJ didn't think they were right for us and as previous people have said I truse GJ's judgement.

Lets move on, I'm sure Johnson and Lansdown are now onto the next target.

Oh well, bring on the next one then...third time lucky hopefully!

:dancing2:

again, I was initially po'd about this, like the egyptian deal, but after reading GJs quotes, I am more sure about him being in charge of us than ever. What we do know is that he isnt prepared to get anyone in apart from someone who is 100% committed. GJ must be very proud of what we did last year, and having some idiot turn up to ruin it wont be tolerated.

I wonder what happened - I reckon Mifsud might have come back asking for a cheap buy out clause if we werent promoted, or a cheap buy out clause if a premier league team are interested, or something. I think that is what Matty Hill did, but he didnt cost 1.5 million before he signed the contract.

I don't know if it makes us look a bit daft, but we know that anyone else who is interested in mifsud doesnt have the standards we do, and coventry don't want him now either. Good!

I would love to see us get Maynard in now, but cant see us going to more than 2 million. If he did sign, and his age allows it, I can see him being in the england under 21s by the end of the season, and worth serious money.

Si.

:city:

In GJ I have 100% trust! If it aint right, it aint right!

As do I, but I'm beginning to wonder at what point does GJ think the player's not right... after all with the last two we'd undergone medicals and agreed terms hadn't we?

If these players 'were not right' they certainly seem to be able to bluff their way through interviews and medicals OK?!

They'll always be pessimistic fans and they'll always be the happy-clappers - that's football fandom, it's natural - don't separate it just because some don't agree with it.

I agree Rich, there is a place for pessimism & optimism, that's opinions, and it's what makes great debate.

However, in the examples we are talking about, it's not a case of pessimism. It's a case of people expecting to be told information from the club just because they've paid for their tickets. The club felt pressured into saying something, probably reluctantly, and now it's bitten them on the bum.

I've got no problem with people having differing opinions on subjects, but we shouldn't be putting unnecessary and undue pressure on our club to tell us everything that goes on behind closed doors, just to satisfy our impatience.

sounds like he didnt really wanna play for us anyway so good riddance.

just a shame that our club has been made to look a bit silly over last two big deals.

we're still in for our new target man so thats still going ok, whos next on the list of pacey strike targets???

back to old targets like tyson and maynard with renewed bids, or onto pastures new with the next option down the list?

only prob is it does appear we are down to option 5 at least already on the list

Whats so dissapionting is we have not added to the squad as yet to strengthen it,we all know the addition of two younger quicker strikers who can get us 20-30 goals a season is progress,GJ now on the last minute has scraped the deal what confuses me these have been top targets for some while perhaps it would be best for GJ to interview them at the start of things.

I say keep in the UK its this ego bit worries me,all players especially strikers are like that they are confident they have to be to score goals,he signed Trundle and he is ok in the squad,I just hope we can sign two good strikers before the start of the season most unfortunately have gone I and most others feel dissapointed we have not strengthened the squad so far.

As do I, but I'm beginning to wonder at what point does GJ think the player's not right... after all with the last two we'd undergone medicals and agreed terms hadn't we?

If these players 'were not right' they certainly seem to be able to bluff their way through interviews and medicals OK?!

I think the problems only became obvious after all the negotiations had taken place and had been agreed in principle, greed and the big I am then took over, as it does with a lot of so called football players today!

Whats so dissapionting is we have not added to the squad as yet to strengthen it,we all know the addition of two younger quicker strikers who can get us 20-30 goals a season is progress,GJ now on the last minute has scraped the deal what confuses me these have been top targets for some while perhaps it would be best for GJ to interview them at the start of things.

I say keep in the UK its this ego bit worries me,all players especially strikers are like that they are confident they have to be to score goals,he signed Trundle and he is ok in the squad,I just hope we can sign two good strikers before the start of the season most unfortunately have gone I and most others feel dissapointed we have not strengthened the squad so far.

I'm disappointed too Super Reds, I'm sure we all are as we all realise the need to get these strikers in.

However, it's not the 'Ego' thing which is cancelling these deals. It's greed. Having an ego is not a bad thing, and as you rightly said (some may say contradicting yourself), he signed Trundle. So GJ is not scared of an ego or afraid to bring certain players into the squad.

GJ, it appears, has called off the Mifsud deal because he and his advisors were being greedy ######s and thought they could take us for a ride. This is not ego.

Well done Gary Johnson.

Mifsud and his entourage were clearly taking the piss out of GJ and our club and instead of taking the easy option and signing him to appease some of our fans, quite rightly pulled the plug on the deal.

I'd rather we got the right players in who want to play for the club with less ability, than some big time charlie who only wants to make a name for himself.

All good strikers are Pre-Madonnas'. Berbatov, Torres, Santa Cruz, Rooney etc - All cocky as ###### and no one likes em but they get the job done and score 20 a season. We will need to put up with a Pre Madonna if we want a 20 a year striker - i think that next year might strugle to stay in this league - at least last year we had momentum from promotion.

One of the rules of negotiation: never, ever continue negotiating after you have agreed the deal. If that is what he was trying then I'm very disappointed.

Also, reading what Gary says it appears that he said he would be down Monday then didn't show up. Imagine not turning up to meet your boss when promised to sign your contract!

i personally am not worried i trust in what GJ is doing... if we had got both players we would have spent 3mill which to most clubs is alot of money on players that in all fairness did not really want to be here in the first place...

Well done Gary Johnson.

Mifsud and his entourage were clearly taking the piss out of GJ and our club and instead of taking the easy option and signing him to appease some of our fans, quite rightly pulled the plug on the deal.

I'd rather we got the right players in who want to play for the club with less ability, than some big time charlie who only wants to make a name for himself.

Here Here!

How do you think this club did so well last season? Lets not kid ourselves, we don't have the most skillfull set of players in the division BUT WE DO HAVE A TEAM that will graft for each other and believe in each other.

Gary is not going to rock the boat with someone who will break all that hard work down. Lets just wait and see and stop rumours and speculation, it can be harmful to our clubs negotiations in the future!

All good strikers are Pre-Madonnas'. Berbatov, Torres, Santa Cruz, Rooney etc - All cocky as ###### and no one likes em but they get the job done and score 20 a season. We will need to put up with a Pre Madonna if we want a 20 a year striker - i think that next year might strugle to stay in this league - at least last year we had momentum from promotion.

Owen, Shearer, Ferdinand, Lineker, Bergkamp.

Just a few names to blow your theory out of the water.

Archived