IGNORED

Mifsud Off

Rocky

Owen, Shearer, Ferdinand, Lineker, Bergkamp.

Just a few names to blow your theory out of the water.

Shearer, Fedinand, Lineker and Bergkamp are all long retired and are players who grew up in a different era where it meant something else to be a footballer, but just about the glam, fame,women and money, why don't you just mention Geoff Hurst while you are at it....

Apart from Owen and Robbie Keane, I can't think of many modern day forwards who don't have that attitude, majority of them are as the previous poster mentioned....

you just need to look at our past goal scorers, Lita, Thorpe, Peacock......all big time charlies.....

Shearer, Fedinand, Lineker and Bergkamp are all long retired and are players who grew up in a different era where it meant something else to be a footballer, but just about the glam, fame,women and money, why don't you just mention Geoff Hurst while you are at it....

Apart from Owen and Robbie Keane, I can't think of many modern day forwards who don't have that attitude, majority of them are as the previous poster mentioned....

you just need to look at our past goal scorers, Lita, Thorpe, Peacock......all big time charlies.....

Thats got nothing to do with being a striker, thats society in general.

There's a fair few big time charlie defenders & midfielders who could be named as well.

My comment was just pointing out what a stupid generalisation it was.

Problem now is we have openly admitted we have 1.5 million to spend on a striker, so that's going to be the minimum asking price whoever GJ goes for next. And as the days tick towards August 31st, it'll be harder to avoid paying over the odds.

Mifsud has shot himself in the foot.

Handed in a transfer request and now no club interested.

What a clown.

I suspect he'll end up abroad somewhere.

might have had a better offer, probably then went to SL & GJ and asked for more, now that would piss GJ off!

I have to say good on Gary for sticking to his guns with all the pressure after the Meteb mess. I cant say I'm not concerned cos I am slightly. It will be interesting to see what happens with other striker (Marc Janko being the rumour ive heard) I just hope that his balls to stand up to pain in the rear players who arent bothered about the club don't come back to bite him in the arse unfortunately it can happen. It proves one thing though and some people will disagree but he does have best interests of club in mind.

He should have done it a week ago and saved us a load of frustration. :disapointed2se:

Perhaps GJ should do his "character assessment" interview first and the medicals etc. after.

It sounds more like this was an issue of negotiation more than anything. I guess you can tell a lot about a players mercenary tendancies and real attitude in negotiations. Just guessing though

I'm glad were a club showing that we aint goina take any crap, no one player is better etc. Unfortunatly though it doesnt look like many players want to play for us

We could have had Meteb and Mifsud if we wanted. Ultimately we rejected them, so I don't understand this comment

Maybe we'll get some more info when the post match GJ interview appears on city world soon.

Not sure what else he can say!

He might be persuaded to say that we've have made a move for someone else, but i suspect it'll be "we've always got a long list of targets, and very good players, but they've got to be right for this football club" etc

We could have had Meteb and Mifsud if we wanted. Ultimately we rejected them, so I don't understand this comment

If Meteb wanted to play for us he would have done as he was asked and not played when he had made an agreement. As for Mifsud it sounds like he made an agreement and then tried to reagree it (I know thats an assumption) so wasnt really that committed to Bristol City. Not having the Striker we want is bad but its either that or spend 1.5 mill on a player that could have been a waste. I cant help thinking its the best of a bad situation

As do I, but I'm beginning to wonder at what point does GJ think the player's not right... after all with the last two we'd undergone medicals and agreed terms hadn't we?

The point arrives when the player is told not to play for his old club but he does, or when he say's he is coming down Monday to sign but doesn't bother to turn up.

players that say one thing, then do another are not putting the interests of the club at heart, which to GJ is imo more important than their talent

The bottom line is less than 2 weeks to go and no strikers signed let alone repalcement for Carle.I just cannot underdstand what has been done since the end of the season to now to end up in this position.By any standards it has been a poor performance and has put our club behind many others who seem to get over the countless barriers that we encounter.

I have to say I am very dissapointed and thought we would be stronger than last year not weaker.Next season will take another GJ miracle.He has produced one in each of the last two years but wonder if a third on the trot is possible.

And if any of our strikers gets injured God help us.

The bottom line is less than 2 weeks to go and no strikers signed let alone repalcement for Carle.I

The bottom line is that Metab and Mifsud would run through a brick wall for a good salary and not GJ or BCFC.

I will let you make your mind up who has the best deal on this....

If that story is the whole truth - and to be fair lets acknowledge we only have one side of the story - then fair play to GJ, SL and whoever is behind the decision.

I'm really quite pleased with it. The Egyptian can rot in Egypt or whatever third rate Eastern European team takes him, Mifsud can rot in Coventry reserves or end up with neck ache at Palace. I don't want second rate players taking the pi$$ out of BCFC, and clearly neither does GJ or SL.

Johnson has ensured we get the players which we fans deserve, time and time again, there is no reason to doubt him now.

Guest DR DICKNOSE
The bottom line is less than 2 weeks to go and no strikers signed let alone repalcement for Carle.I just cannot underdstand what has been done since the end of the season to now to end up in this position.By any standards it has been a poor performance and has put our club behind many others who seem to get over the countless barriers that we encounter.

I have to say I am very dissapointed and thought we would be stronger than last year not weaker.Next season will take another GJ miracle.He has produced one in each of the last two years but wonder if a third on the trot is possible.

And if any of our strikers gets injured God help us.

The way things are going we will be calling junior Bent out of retirement!!!!

Not impressed with the whole situation at the moment,but not going to blame GJ or SL,still believe we will get a striker or two within the next week but havent got a ######* clue who it will be..

G J WILL PERFORM MIRACLE NO 3............ :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

I would really like to see a striker from the academy i.e. Plummer come into the 1st team this season. Who knows ? it could happen. I was at FG what was it 4-5 years ago when Leroy played and scored a poachers goal. I thought then he would make the grade. Wish it had been with us. Maybe GJ can bring them on and save us a packet. :fingerscrossed:

Bloody frustrating but fair play to GJ.

Just got back from Whaddon Rd and have only just heard the news.

Having read through the posts something keeps cropping up from time to time thats a tad bit annoying. GJ is praised for sticking to his principles and not being held to ransom and yet apparently the influence of this forum is so great that collectively we have forced the club to make statements about transfers that they wouldn`t have otherwise made. GET REAL. Any statement made by the club has been made because their hand was forced, Coventry, or because they have felt that the timing was right and had no indication there would be a problem, both Meteb and Mifsud.

I have other slight concerns but it`s pointless posting them here.

So where does that leave us ?

Here`s my assessment from what i`ve seen tonight.

Goalkeeper-Not a problem, CW has hardly put a foot wrong pre-season and a pretty good performance tonight thats bound to be putting pressure on Basso. Can`t remember the last time we were so well equipped for the No1 shirt.

Defensively-Concerns have been raised with releasing Vasko and fitness doubts over Fontaine, McCombe and McAllister. Skuse started at CB tnight but was subbed after 10min replaced by Ribiero who performed very well alongside Louis. With JW putting in a lot of pitch time pre-season i guess GJ is comfortable with the combination we have of experience with some good young prospects ready to break through. He certainly hasn`t prioritised a defensive signing.

Midfield-At last GW makes his appearance in a City shirt and hats off to GJ he looks handy. Considering it was his first match he fitted in well and as far as i can tell came through it unscathed. As did Marvin. LJ looked a little off the pace for the first 20mins or so but apart from that was ok. It will be interesting to see how GJ is going to fit GW in. To be honest while he didn`t provide us with Ivans pace he certainly seemed to give us a bit more going forward and put in the hard work defensively when required. But again, the core of the midfield is there and GJ seems happy with the players available to fill it out, thus no priority for midfielders.

You know whats coming next, don`t you ?

I know a lot of people on the forum arn`t too bothered if we start the season with what we`ve got. I wouldn`t be upset about it as such and yet............

Trunds/Brooker 1st half, Dele/JMW 2nd half. To be honest Dele looked the most dangerous and as it stands at this moment in time would be in the starting 11 IMO. Who, if anybody, partners him up front remains to be seen and i reckon must be giving GJ a real headache. GJ obviously feels he needs an added something up front (we all know it but its getting harder to put in on the forum `cos it makes you a moaner or traitor or even worse ) but with the collapse of the last 2 deals the options are narrowing. Unfortunately it now puts this mystery signing in the spotlight which is probably a hell of a lot more attention than GJ would have wanted.

So to summarise

Pluses-Weale, Ribiero, Williams.

Minuses-not so much a minus but still a lack of cutting edge up front.

NOTE; i would just like to point out that this post is based entirely on MY opinion. As such i would like to request that any response made would be appreciated more should it contain content of a footballing nature as opposed to views questioning my loyalty to BCFC, my parentage or my intellect.

PDG

I would really like to see a striker from the academy i.e. Plummer come into the 1st team this season. Who knows ? it could happen. I was at FG what was it 4-5 years ago when Leroy played and scored a poachers goal. I thought then he would make the grade. Wish it had been with us. Maybe GJ can bring them on and save us a packet. :fingerscrossed:

Ok I get the message. Goodnight :fastasleep:

The bottom line is less than 2 weeks to go and no strikers signed let alone repalcement for Carle.

VERY IMPORTANT POINT

The date is June 30th! there is not less than two weeks! Adebola and Trundle are perfectly good strikers to have at this level! And they can definitely manage to play the 5 games in August to a good level. Let's not forget that Gary Johnson has still got A WHOLE MONTH to bring in new players.

No one has mentioned this yet so I just thought I'd make the point.

Edit: sorry, me being thick, 30th of July not June :doh:

VERY IMPORTANT POINT

The date is June 30th! there is not less than two weeks! Adebola and Trundle are perfectly good strikers to have at this level! And they can definitely manage to play the 5 games in August to a good level. Let's not forget that Gary Johnson has still got A WHOLE MONTH to bring in new players.

July! but yes i agree with what your saying

VERY IMPORTANT POINT

Three points worry me : -

1.Who will be left.

2.While I was delighted that Trundle came to life at the very end of the season, the belief that he will do the job over the season could be misplaced.

3. Neither have proved to be regular goalscorers.

Archived