IGNORED

Bristol City Win Race For Maynard (many Merges)

greenun

From: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...ity/7533626.stm

Bristol City win race for Maynard

Bristol City have had a bid accepted for Crewe striker Nicky Maynard, BBC Radio Bristol understands.

The club had an offer turned down for the 21-year-old earlier in the summer but have returned with a bid BBC Radio Stoke understands is in excess of £2m.

It follows City's decision to pull-out of moves for Egyptian striker Emad Moteab and Coventry's Michael Mifsud.

Maynard scored 32 goals in 52 league starts for Crewe including 11 in nine games at the end of last season.

City manager Gary Johnson is keen to add two strikers to his squad before the season starts on 9 August.

One of those is a target-man who currently plays his football in Europe.

He told BBC Radio Bristol after Tuesday night's 1-1 draw at Cheltenham that the club were close to making a breakthrough.

"We know who we want to bring in. We're very close and the chairman is backing me all the way at the moment.

"We'll get there and by Blackpool we'll have our squad complete."

these guys at Rad Briz and EPost are just incredible... come on then, own up, who on here works for them trawling the news from our posts??.

all i can say is this... the failure of previous deals is often a blessing in life; the final deal, whoever it may be, may well be better than those earlier options. Patience is such a virtue.

If its been announced by Radio Bristol the deal will be off tomorrow.. :disapointed2se:

I hope it is true..

I have a good feeling, as long as we have actually agreed a fee i cant see there will be nay problem with the player himself unlime mifsud moteab.

Would be an excellent signing and send out a message to the rest of the league.

I have a good feeling, as long as we have actually agreed a fee i cant see there will be nay problem with the player himself unlime mifsud moteab.

Why not? He has an agent doesnt he? ...scum of the earth, using us to generate PR in the hope of getting a move to the prem (Boro?)

Argh!

these guys at Rad Briz and EPost are just incredible... come on then, own up, who on here works for them trawling the news from our posts??.

all i can say is this... the failure of previous deals is often a blessing in life; the final deal, whoever it may be, may well be better than those earlier options. Patience is such a virtue.

Evening Post are, I think Radio Bristol have a bit more credability myself.. either way I won't be holding my breath just yet!

of the three players (meteb, maynard, Mifsud) i would imaginbe this lad will have the hardest decision of them all

he has real options. bigger clubs are interested and he seems quite happy to wait for them to come in if necessary.

getting a bid accepted is great but this is far from done deal

:fingerscrossed:

After everything thats happened over the last month id be delighted to get a player of his reputation and potential in. Costly at £2m but you know what your getting with a young player from Crewe, 32 in 52 is about as good a strike rate as you could want in signing any striker.

After everything thats happened over the last month id be delighted to get a player of his reputation and potential in. Costly at £2m but you know what your getting with a young player from Crewe, 32 in 52 is about as good a strike rate as you could want in signing any striker.

Yup - Dario always raises players the right way.

Er um - just remembered that Robbie Savage came through his academy. Make that: Dario raises most players the right way.

Well the news is everywhere... I think its very probable now that we've had a bid accepted for Maynard. However that doesnt mean we'll get him... I just hope Johnson can work fast and get this all sorted out as soon as possible. We're all very restless and fed up after the antics of the last week...

Just wondered how poor ole Mifsud's reacting to the news. Not that I care.

He's going to have to pay the solicitor that represented him. He faces the prospect of a long spell in the reserves at Cov (where he's no longer a hero) with all of the frustrations that entails. Clubs in this country will have been warned-off of him so he'll no doubt have to resurrect his career abroad. And I bet he's received a bit of an ear-bashing from his "partner" too who had already had dreams of setting up home in God's own city.

Oh well his loss. Oh dear. How sad. Never mind. :dance:

Nothing surprises me after this week... Well, at least supporting the mighty reds is entertaining......

Your not wrong...

I think I'm just going to leave the specualtion alone now and wait and see what happens. I won't believe we've signed anyone until I see them on the pitch prior to KO.

Archived