IGNORED

Bristol City Win Race For Maynard (many Merges)

greenun

I think it could be that earlier both parties were keeping options open, Crewe hoping a big spending CCC side would come in for him or a even a prem side but as the beginning of the season gets nearer theyve dropped their price, and/or earlier we placed a 'cheeky bid' to try and get him as cheap as possible but now we've found out other targets weren't right we are prepared to offer a higher amount. I believe this is what GJ refers to as 'spinning plates.'

Why couldn't it be Crewe were asking £3 million plus for Maynard, we were prepared to offer our 1.75. Close to beginning of season, we've comprimised. Everyone seems to think that GJ and Lansdown are being weak and panic buying...

If the rest of our 'panic' buys are of similar quality to Maynard, then I'll be a happy guy.

I'd prefer to over spend slightly on transfer fees than wages i.e.Mifsud.

Our offers only increased by around 500k. That's alot to you and me, but to the club, for a 21 year old striker with the potential and goal scoring rate Maynard has, it's not much really.

So what if Crewe has accepted an offer from us.

It doesn't mean that Maynard wants to come here or that we will be able to meet his financial demands.

In this twisted market, now his agent knows what Crewe want for the player, he will be hawking that price arround other CCC clubs to see if they will offer better personal terms than we are offering.

Agreeing a fee with Crewe means nothing

Heres a theory.....

We had by the sound of things....1.5m for Meteb/Mifsud.....and as reported....1m ...for the Austrian.........

So a 2.5 m budget.......for two strikers.....and in my opinion...once both signed....Brooker to Cheltenham for a season loan ...

Our Top target...ORIGINALLY..was Maynard...but at 2-2.5 we said no.......

so looked elswhere...

so now GJ has decided...No Austrian..Get Maynard...and Keep Brooker?

Your Thoughts??

I'm quite happy with that personally!!

it can certainly be portrayed that way whether true or not and everyone can save face. very important IMO.

i would think, however, that SL has not put an absolute cap on the transfer kitty. So i would certainly not rule out the euro target man as well.

i reckon Maynard could be a better player than Lita. is he English?

If we get him I would be more excited than the meteb deal and defo more than misfit.

So what if Crewe has accepted an offer from us.

It doesn't mean that Maynard wants to come here or that we will be able to meet his financial demands.

In this twisted market, now his agent knows what Crewe want for the player, he will be hawking that price arround other CCC clubs to see if they will offer better personal terms than we are offering.

Agreeing a fee with Crewe means nothing

I wish I could disagree with you but the past few days have eclipsed what little faith I had in agents beforehand.

we can only keep our fingers firmly crossed and that any deal, if there is a deal, can be agreed and signed.

it can certainly be portrayed that way whether true or not and everyone can save face. very important IMO.

i would think, however, that SL has not put an absolute cap on the transfer kitty. So i would certainly not rule out the euro target man as well.

i reckon Maynard could be a better player than Lita. is he English?

If we get him I would be more excited than the meteb deal and defo more than misfit.

I'd like to hope that 2 strikers will still, we certainly them to progress. However, whilst maynard's proposed transfer fee may appear high, it has to be looked at as an investment. Both Trundle (£1million) and Mifsud (£1.5M - had he signed) would both have a negative re-sale value for any future transfers.

If Maynard performs Ok, he'll always be worth at least £2.25m if we sell him. If he goes on to be the player we hope (and GJ thinks) he is, then we could be looking at serious money. When you think of the Andy Johnson's and James Beattie's of this world have gone/will be going for £8m-£10m - the transfer fee is a calculated gamble.

The upfront cost may be high but it's less of a risk overall.

I'd like to hope that 2 strikers will still, we certainly them to progress. However, whilst maynard's proposed transfer fee may appear high, it has to be looked at as an investment. Both Trundle (£1million) and Mifsud (£1.5M - had he signed) would both have a negative re-sale value for any future transfers.

If Maynard performs Ok, he'll always be worth at least £2.25m if we sell him. If he goes on to be the player we hope (and GJ thinks) he is, then we could be looking at serious money. When you think of the Andy Johnson's and James Beattie's of this world have gone/will be going for £8m-£10m - the transfer fee is a calculated gamble.

The upfront cost may be high but it's less of a risk overall.

Ver true. I think it is well worth the risk and he COULD turn into a very good player i.e dean ashton beattie andy johson etc

I persoanlly don't see why he wouldnt want to come here, with all due respect to him i don't think he is prem quality YET but moving to us would be the right step for him and who knows he could go up with us.

Just wondered how poor ole Mifsud's reacting to the news. Not that I care.

He's going to have to pay the solicitor that represented him. He faces the prospect of a long spell in the reserves at Cov (where he's no longer a hero) with all of the frustrations that entails. Clubs in this country will have been warned-off of him so he'll no doubt have to resurrect his career abroad. And I bet he's received a bit of an ear-bashing from his "partner" too who had already had dreams of setting up home in God's own city.

Oh well his loss. Oh dear. How sad. Never mind. :dance:

Yep, would certainly concur with what you have written...deffo a case of : "What do you get if you pee into the wind"?...what an arrogant w(a)(n)*(e)®. :disapointed2se:

GJ wont have much trouble selling this move to Maynard. No doubt his wages will increase greatly, also the chance to play for the 'Arsenal' of the champioship will be a temptation. We have a good record of showcasing young forward players (Cole, Lita etc etc) and he knows he's coming to team crying out for a player of his type.

This is a good move for everyone....but if it is a straight £2.25 Mill it is a calculated risk.

If he is coming for talks we'll get him :fingerscrossed:

Not so sure its us, i can see it being someone like Cardiff! :noexpression:

If it is us, you can bet his agent will be hunting for more offers from clubs able to offer him more money but hopefully Gradi might have a word in his ear and GJ will use his wonderful powers of persuasion!! :fingerscrossed:

Not so sure its us, i can see it being someone like Cardiff! :noexpression:

If it is us, you can bet his agent will be hunting for more offers from clubs able to offer him more [/b]money but hopefully Gradi might have a word in his ear and GJ will use his wonderful powers of persuasion!! :fingerscrossed:

To be fair he can be on much a week at crewe and I'm sure we would offer 8/9 k a week.

I cant see any club offering more a week than that to be honest, if we get him down here for talks he will sign IMO

This is getting right on my tits now another rumour prob another disapointment. Well i guess were use to it by now so.

My bets are Darren Byfield will score loads for DR and all the players we let go will do well. Why cant things go our way for once.

Ah, the happy-go lucky charms of a fan whose side are at their highest peak in twenty years.

Doesn't the enthusiasm just make all those years of struggle worthwhile? :noexpression:

Yes interested to know what you mean by this. have you been watching JMW in friendlies to believe he has come on leaps and bounds and could force his way into the first team? This would be great news. I always rated him but thought he just lacked that stickability when it came to holding onto the ball in the final 1/3.

No, I've not seen him at all, I'm just speculating and guessing the same as everybody else. It does seem though as he was sent out on loan last season to get experience, after he had previously played first team games, that GJ can see something in him and may want to try him and not dismiss him without a fair chance, and that's what preseason is all about isn't it. Surely we cannot keep bringing youngsters through without using them at some point, looking for Artus and Ribero too.

Guest Bristol City  93

Brilliant if he signs and I have a really good feeling about this one, but I will not believe anything until he's definetly signed after the Meteb,Mifsud fiasco.

:city:

All ifs and buts at the moment but i'd love to see a young English prospect sign for us , i think GJ's recent doings will hold us in good stead for the future ..he 's shown us how much he wants to put the club first :city:

Heard about another striker we are interested in , also with a surname starting with 'm' : Kani Mufdive , striker for Greek side Lesbos KFC. Likes to play in the hole behind the front two , bit of a fox in the box , but has a bad reputation of going down too easily.

Heard about another striker we are interested in , also with a surname starting with 'm' : Kani Mufdive , striker for Greek side Lesbos KFC. Likes to play in the hole behind the front two , bit of a fox in the box , but has a bad reputation of going down too easily.

Amazing how many people ''hear'' things :fastasleep:

BBC TV ( 10-30pm )have just announced that we have had an offer over 2 million accepted and it sound like they quoted Johnson as saying he wanted him so the CCC club is us.

BBC TV ( 10-30pm )have just announced that we have had an offer over 2 million accepted and it sound like they quoted Johnson as saying he wanted him so the CCC club is us.

I just saw this too ...... much egg on faces if it ends up not being true .... a bid is one thing signing is another ... ah well we can all dream and hope they're right :innocent06:

Its def us. Also arent cardiff on the verge of paying 2 mill for a striker from the mls in america? Cooper is it? Doubt there be planning on spending 4 mill plus on two. Gotta be us, just hope we can agree terms now. Oooh the suspense!

Plus Jimmy Floyd is refusing to leave, so the wage bill could be tasty

Nicky Maynard in Bristol tomorrow for talks and medical. Price is 2.25 million which Crewe have agreed. It's just the player to agree personal terms. This is a great signing and was GJ first choice, but thought the price tag was too high. That's why he went for Metab but after the player played another game after terms were agreed, GJ had no option to pull out of the deal. Mifsud was also a done deal, but the player wanted extra clauses in his contract at the very last minute not acceptable to BCFC.Gary wants players who will be committed to the club and Metab and Mifsud didn't fit this criteria. Nicky Maynard will be a great asset to the club, he's young (21) and Gary will be able to bring this lad on, the way he wants to. It's great that Steve lansdown is making these funds available and it's not over yet two more signings to be done before the Blackpool game.

IN GARY JOHNSON WE TRUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ranting::city:

Nicky Maynard in Bristol tomorrow for talks and medical. Price is 2.25 million which Crewe have agreed. It's just the player to agree personal terms. This is a great signing and was GJ first choice, but thought the price tag was too high. That's why he went for Metab but after the player played another game after terms were agreed, GJ had no option to pull out of the deal. Mifsud was also a done deal, but the player wanted extra clauses in his contract at the very last minute not acceptable to BCFC.Gary wants players who will be committed to the club and Metab and Mifsud didn't fit this criteria. Nicky Maynard will be a great asset to the club, he's young (21) and Gary will be able to bring this lad on, the way he wants to. It's great that Steve lansdown is making these funds available and it's not over yet two more signings to be done before the Blackpool game.

IN GARY JOHNSON WE TRUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ranting::city:

any point in asking.....source?

No/ thought not

No, I've not seen him at all, I'm just speculating and guessing the same as everybody else. It does seem though as he was sent out on loan last season to get experience, after he had previously played first team games, that GJ can see something in him and may want to try him and not dismiss him without a fair chance, and that's what preseason is all about isn't it. Surely we cannot keep bringing youngsters through without using them at some point, looking for Artus and Ribero too.

ok thanks for that. was hoping you may say something more concrete about him. it would indeed be superb if an academy player made it and stayed with us. I would have hoped he may have made it at least to bench warming by now though. lets see what happens this season.

Archived