IGNORED

Bristol City Win Race For Maynard (many Merges)

greenun

Yup - Dario always raises players the right way.

Er um - just remembered that Robbie Savage came through his academy. Make that: Dario raises most players the right way.

Mmm did't he come up through the Man Utd youth then join crewe later in his teens....

Either way Maynard would be a good prospect here, he would do well at this level

Mmm did't he come up through the Man Utd youth then join crewe later in his teens....

Either way Maynard would be a good prospect here, he would do well at this level

I think that we're both right. He was in the youth team at ManU with Giggs and Beckham then left to join the Crewe Academy whilst he was still in his teens.

I think that we're both right. He was in the youth team at ManU with Giggs and Beckham then left to join the Crewe Academy whilst he was still in his teens.

I stand corrected. He wasn't in the Academy at Crewe ... I'll go stand in the corner

From the Alex website ... alexsoccercentre

Born in Wrexham in 1974, Robbie Savage is one of the most controversial footballers of his generation. The floppy haired midfield enforcer is, however, yet another example of a player who, having been thrown on the footballing scrap heap as a kid, bounced back with Crewe Alexandra Football Club to enjoy a fine career at all levels, including International.

Robbie was actually a member of Crewe's Centre of Excellence in his schoolboy days, but was pulled away from Gresty Road when he was tempted with a YTS offer at Premier League giants Manchester United.

During his time at Old Trafford he played in the same youth team as the likes of Ryan Giggs, Nicky Butt, Paul Scholes, David Beckham and the Neville brothers and helped the club win the FA Youth Cup in 1992 with a 6-2 aggregate victory over Crystal Palace.

A full time professional contract was soon on offer but then, Savage's world fell apart when United boss Alex Ferguson decided to release him after just a season on the senior staff and without having made a single first team appearance.

In July 1994 the young Welshman returned to Gresty Road as Dario Gradi gave him a chance to rebuild his career, and Savage grasped the opportunity with both hands.

He made his Alex debut, ironically, against his home town club Wrexham on 10 September 1994 as Crewe lost 1-0 at the Racecourse Ground, and scored his first goal for the Railwaymen just three days later in a defeat at Oxford United.

Just wondered how poor ole Mifsud's reacting to the news. Not that I care.

He's going to have to pay the solicitor that represented him. He faces the prospect of a long spell in the reserves at Cov (where he's no longer a hero) with all of the frustrations that entails. Clubs in this country will have been warned-off of him so he'll no doubt have to resurrect his career abroad. And I bet he's received a bit of an ear-bashing from his "partner" too who had already had dreams of setting up home in God's own city.

Oh well his loss. Oh dear. How sad. Never mind. :dance:

too true. gary J's responce to the deal collapse to me sounds like Miffy sent an sms to him confirming agreement then later had a chat with his agent/lawyer and promptly tried to change the goal posts. i suspect he might get booed if he plays against us this season.

I been informed that he will sign tomarow but then again my informant been wrong in the past but thought id mention it to u all hope my informant is wright and he signs tomarrow but with crew deniying it I'm not sure :fingerscrossed:

How about signing Savage, Lee Bowyer and Joey Barton. Then play Diouf up front.

Sounds like a cracking bunch of signings if we did that.

We'd certainly have a well liked team.

Hmmm, not sure they are Johnson players

And the wages would be astronomical, not to mention the legal costs!

Nothing on BBC tv local news, they have just announced we pulled out of the Misfit deal, and also had to mention the Egyptian deal failed too.

I'd usually give them more credibility than the Evil Post though.

Maybe it is us who have bid after all, but there is a heck of a difference between having a bid accepted and the player running out on a red shirt as we all know too well now.

It is a lot to lump on one player when we wanted two. But maybe GJ has decided we don't need two after all as JMW has stepped up to the mark, so allowing us to make the big bid?

he might feel like third choice though.

Not necessarily. I'd say he was always first choice and that his club had just priced him out of the market. That's how I'd sell it to him if I was GJ anyway!

They are now either being more realistic or we have found a few more quid unexpectedly.

But surely then Johnson has gone full circle and started on old transfer targets that he deemed not right for the club a month or so ago for whatever reason.

So it's alright for him to change his mind and move the goalposts. :10_1_108: If 2m+ was too much for Maynard a month ago it still too much now!

(Assuming it is us that have tabled a bid, of course!!)

But surely then Johnson has gone full circle and started on old transfer targets that he deemed not right for the club a month or so ago for whatever reason.

So it's alright for him to change his mind and move the goalposts. :10_1_108: If 2m+ was too much for Maynard a month ago it still too much now!

(Assuming it is us that have tabled a bid, of course!!)

He said that Crewe had priced themselves out of the market, we don't know how much they we asking for so I'm guessing they have dropped their price???

Not necessarily. I'd say he was always first choice and that his club had just priced him out of the market. That's how I'd sell it to him if I was GJ anyway!

It's a great career move for him. he'd play good football at a higher level under a good manager who will keep his feet on the ground and who has a reputation of getting the best out of his players.

That's how i'd sell it. TBH Dario Gradi is a great football guy, he'll tell Maynard the exact same thing i think. He's never stood in the way of his players going on to the "right" clubs. Just look at his comments RE Billy Jones if you think he doesn't care where his academy products go.

I can't see any problems regarding the deal once we've got past the initial fee.

And we've not signed a young player on alot of money before. It can't really be a 3 year deal, that'd be nuts as he'd be free in 3 years time.

He said that Crewe had priced themselves out of the market, we don't know how much they we asking for so I'm guessing they have dropped their price???

"Yeah hi, we've just failed in our striker signings so we're getting pretty desperate... you've dropped that price to help us out? Cheers"

Not likely.

We're just prepared to pay more IF it's true.

I'm dubious but hopeful. I still reckon Norwich seems more likely going by Roeder said of his striking targets.

But maybe GJ has decided we don't need two after all as JMW has stepped up to the mark, so allowing us to make the big bid?

Yes interested to know what you mean by this. have you been watching JMW in friendlies to believe he has come on leaps and bounds and could force his way into the first team? This would be great news. I always rated him but thought he just lacked that stickability when it came to holding onto the ball in the final 1/3.

Do Norwich have 2m+ to spend on a player ?

If it's not us, I think Cardiff could be in for him - and they will spend until administration.

They've got enough money to go after the journalist who suggested they didn't!

Lots of the clubs are after qulaity championship strikers. I think as you say Cardiff are another more likely club to pay that amount of cash for Maynard.

I'm dubious because I don't see any reason why GJ would change his opinion on the matter. However, SL might have convinced him and wouldn't that be great.

I think the BBC certainly don't put mindless rumours up on their website! They're not exactly footballrumours.com!!!

It makes sense we've dropped out of two transfers and Crewe now accepts a bid from a Champ club.

GJ said last night he's 1 or 2 days ahead of everyone else and he's VERY CLOSE to a signing. Huge coincidence if it's not us.

I also thought maybe Cardiff, don't think Norwich have the money.

Heres a theory.....

We had by the sound of things....1.5m for Meteb/Mifsud.....and as reported....1m ...for the Austrian.........

So a 2.5 m budget.......for two strikers.....and in my opinion...once both signed....Brooker to Cheltenham for a season loan ...

Our Top target...ORIGINALLY..was Maynard...but at 2-2.5 we said no.......

so looked elswhere...

so now GJ has decided...No Austrian..Get Maynard...and Keep Brooker?

Your Thoughts??

I'm quite happy with that personally!!

Archived