IGNORED

Cheering When Johnson Went Off

A Horse With No Name

I'm not compelled to post often on here these days, but please take another look at todays game on DVD. I think you'll be surprised at how much Lee Johnson offered during the first half today, I thought he was great.

Umm, I think you quoted me wrong - I was just responding to someone who asked why Millen had said everyone was fit and then Carey, Akinde and Noble all dropped out for injuries!

Umm, I think you quoted me wrong - I was just responding to someone who asked why Millen had said everyone was fit and then Carey, Akinde and Noble all dropped out for injuries!

Umm I think you are correct, it wasn't to you I was replying.

I hit 'quote' on post #20 from Maltshoveller

Apart from side ways passes

what eles does LJ offer

And for the record I did applaud the LJ substitution, not his removal but his effort and endeavour today, and partly welcoming the appearance of Wilson, obviously.

I rate Johnson, but if people don't, that isn't a problem its just a matter of opinion. For me LJ is the player who is always there to take the ball from defenders when they are under pressure.

As for the cheering, it is as mentioned embarressing and must be very disheartening for Lee.

Guest brizzlejoe

to be honest, its starting to piss me off now, after singing "we always believe" then booing or sarcastically cheering when OUR OWN PLAYER comes off is disgraceful in my opinion.... shall we boo all our players when they come off??

The cheering when LJ's name was announced was disgraceful. Everyone noticed the different when he was injured last season and he seems to be the only player who's name is known by fans for some reason. Whenever another player makes a mistake... nothing, or unlucky. Whenever Johnson makes a mistake, bad pass etc. people are screaming his name out in an annoyed/fed up manner. I don't understand it. Let the guy play his game.

Even worse comment coming from a guy sat behind me:

"Gary you should've worn a rubber!"

Not just once but over and over.

Surely the people who sarcastically cheered were aiming their criticism at GARY Johnson and not Lee weren't they? I don't condone that at all and it must be bad for Lee Johnson to hear as he is being substituted. Let's hope it doesn't happen again. For the record I thought LJ was very hit and miss yesterday, some excellent touches and a few awful ones including the "rabbit", "trapped", "headlights" scenario when bearing down on goal in the first half.

HOWEVER, I feel that GJ has brought on some of the ill feeling himself by making needless and unproductive attacks of certain sections of our support via the media. And as Seend Red commented yesterday it always seems to happen when we suffer a poor set of results and there is a bit of pressure on him. Before you slate me, let me put things into perspective - GJ is a highly paid professional individual who earns relatively fantastic money and has the massive security of a 5 year contract (which will be paid up in full should he be released by the club) whereas many of the people who hand out the dosh that helps pay his wages are now starting to feel the effects of a full blown recession and in many cases do not even know whether their much lower paid jobs are safe for the next 5 MONTHS (97 made redundant in my firm last week).

I think it is quite understandable for many people to be feeling frustrated with their general situations at the moment and the last thing that is required is for the well paid and very secure manager of their football club applying labels such as "doom and gloom merchants" to them or criticising them for leaving two minutes early. An alternative definition of doom and gloom is having to tell your kid that despite all of their good behaviour over the last few months Father Christmas is not bringing them the City Kit that they were looking forward to this Christmas. And going home to tell the missus that you are out of work in a fortnight is no stroll in the park either. If people want to let off a bit of steam at football, or even more so on here, then what is the problem with that? That is life and with football still being a predominantly working class sport despite the best efforts of Sky and the Premier League the situation will not change in the forseeable future. For many people who bought season tickets, football is the only "treat" they have left at the moment and next season they are going to have to make a decision on whether or not to buy a season ticket - something for the club and it's staff to think long and hard about. And others, without season tickets, are perhaps wondering when they can justify to their family going to their next game.

With the above in mind my suggestion is that the manager, staff and players of the club will have to grow a thicker skin and simply ignore any criticisms that are aimed at them as misguided. I can fully appreciate that it is not nice to have criticisms aimed at you as part of your job but I know of at least 97 people who would put up with dogs abuse for the next five years for a slice of what GJ is on.

Surely the people who sarcastically cheered were aiming their criticism at GARY Johnson and not Lee weren't they? I don't condone that at all and it must be bad for Lee Johnson to hear as he is being substituted. Let's hope it doesn't happen again. For the record I thought LJ was very hit and miss yesterday, some excellent touches and a few awful ones including the "rabbit", "trapped", "headlights" scenario when bearing down on goal in the first half.

HOWEVER, I feel that GJ has brought on some of the ill feeling himself by making needless and unproductive attacks of certain sections of our support via the media. And as Seend Red commented yesterday it always seems to happen when we suffer a poor set of results and there is a bit of pressure on him. Before you slate me, let me put things into perspective - GJ is a highly paid professional individual who earns relatively fantastic money and has the massive security of a 5 year contract (which will be paid up in full should he be released by the club) whereas many of the people who hand out the dosh that helps pay his wages are now starting to feel the effects of a full blown recession and in many cases do not even know whether their much lower paid jobs are safe for the next 5 MONTHS (97 made redundant in my firm last week).

I think it is quite understandable for many people to be feeling frustrated with their general situations at the moment and the last thing that is required is for the well paid and very secure manager of their football club applying labels such as "doom and gloom merchants" to them or criticising them for leaving two minutes early. An alternative definition of doom and gloom is having to tell your kid that despite all of their good behaviour over the last few months Father Christmas is not bringing them the City Kit that they were looking forward to this Christmas. And going home to tell the missus that you are out of work in a fortnight is no stroll in the park either. If people want to let off a bit of steam at football, or even more so on here, then what is the problem with that? That is life and with football still being a predominantly working class sport despite the best efforts of Sky and the Premier League the situation will not change in the forseeable future. For many people who bought season tickets, football is the only "treat" they have left at the moment and next season they are going to have to make a decision on whether or not to buy a season ticket - something for the club and it's staff to think long and hard about. And others, without season tickets, are perhaps wondering when they can justify to their family going to their next game.

With the above in mind my suggestion is that the manager, staff and players of the club will have to grow a thicker skin and simply ignore any criticisms that are aimed at them as misguided. I can fully appreciate that it is not nice to have criticisms aimed at you as part of your job but I know of at least 97 people who would put up with dogs abuse for the next five years for a slice of what GJ is on.

Hallelujah

(And I still think if GJ loves the club and if LJ is fed up - then consider the options. Are we better off keeping LJ or letting him go? He can be replaced and look at the split in our support that would instantly resolve? Tough decision I know - but he is paid to make tough decisions)

Then why was there no cheering when Adebola or Williams went off?

The perception of some supporters is that GJ does not substitute his son. Therefore when he substituted his son some people cheered sarcastically in amazement. That is not a direct criticism of LJ but more a criticism of GJ's management. Or at least that is the way I see it. Adebola and Williams are a total irrelevance to the crowd reaction. If the crowd really "hated" LJ that much they would surely give him an Ashley Cole style reception every time he touches the ball? I do accept that it is LJ who bears the brunt of the crowd reaction though and may have been hurt by it. You could also argue that LJ refusing to applaud any of the supporters penalises those that offer him full support.

But I stand by my post above and believe that the staff and players at BCFC need to have a thick skin and ignore the crowd reaction, however tough it is to do that, in these situations.

I appreciate that it was an unusual event, and he was not having the best of games, but all those who cheered when the number 33 was held up should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. I was embarressed for Lee, Gary and Bristol City F.C when it happened. If I was LJ , I would be in to slap in a transfer request first thing Monday morning.

Its was pathetic and i was embarressed for the rest of us as well . Lee Johnson is hardly a Tony Dinning or Andy May.

Its was pathetic and i was embarrassed for the rest of us as well . Lee Johnson is hardly a Tony Dinning.

Yep, I thought he was poor yesterday and rightly taken off, but the reaction of several plankton sat near me who greeted the decision with a barrage of obscenities to Lee beggars belief, it's not as if we were 5-0 down, is it? (not that it would have justified it, but I'd have at least understood how frustration makes people irrational).

Sad, pathetic, "supporters"?

I appreciate that it was an unusual event, and he was not having the best of games, but all those who cheered when the number 33 was held up should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. I was embarressed for Lee, Gary and Bristol City F.C when it happened. If I was LJ , I would be in to slap in a transfer request first thing Monday morning.

I wasn't at the game but I would cheer if he put in a transfer request.

Yep, I thought he was poor yesterday and rightly taken off, but the reaction of several plankton sat near me who greeted the decision with a barrage of obscenities to Lee beggars belief, it's not as if we were 5-0 down, is it? (not that it would have justified it, but I'd have at least understood how frustration makes people irrational).

We moved from the ayteo to the East End this season because we were fed up with the boke behind us who constantly slagged off Lee Johnson. Funny though because the season before he slagged off Jevons!

Am I the only person who thought Johnson had a good game yesterday!? He was at the heart of all of our best moves, kept the play ticking over with his passing/availability to recieve a pass and also got into a one on one goalscoring position.

Also it seemed that he had a standing ovation from where I was sitting(Dolman) anyway. I wish the forum had a filtering system where I didnt recieve any of these nonsense threads about him. Any morons who slag Lee Johnson off know very little about the game and the fact that he is son of our best manager in recent history should mean we embrace him even more.

BUt what do I know?

Am I the only person who thought Johnson had a good game yesterday!? He was at the heart of all of our best moves, kept the play ticking over with his passing/availability to recieve a pass and also got into a one on one goalscoring position.

Also it seemed that he had a standing ovation from where I was sitting(Dolman) anyway. I wish the forum had a filtering system where I didnt recieve any of these nonsense threads about him. Any morons who slag Lee Johnson off know very little about the game and the fact that he is son of our best manager in recent history should mean we embrace him even more.

BUt what do I know?

Filtering personal abuse about the player I agree with. But filtering alternative opinions of Lee Johnson would be wrong and akin to the type of controls people in communist Russia had to endure. No player should be treated differently in any way because he is the manager's son - good or bad. Some people, myself included, are genuinely of the opinion that there are better players than Lee Johnson out there who we should be looking at if we want to make forwards progression as a team. It is as valid an opinion as anything you come up with. That doesn't mean we hate him or want him to fail. For example I would have jumped as high and cheered as loudly as the next man yesterday had he not made a horlix of the one on one.

BUt what do I know?

Interesting - I am not an LJ fan - the guy I sit with is - and we have a reasoned debate everytime recognising the good bits and accepting the bad bits - in truth he really is an LJ Fan - but yesterday, first time ever, he said "I accept today he had a poor game - needs to be dropped and given a rest" - so it really is all about your own view I guess (although I think you might be in a very small camp that thinks he had a good game yesterday)

He was dreadful today as was McIndoe. The only disappointment was that he didn't come off earlier and that McIndoe didn't come off at all.

People retain their place by 'affecting the game' Therefore, if they don't, whoever they may be, someone else steps in

I was disgusted when LJ was Boo'ed/Cheered off yesterday, I must be one of the 5% of City fans who actually think he plays a imprtant part in our team and he was missed for ten games towards th end of last season.

As for McIndoe i have to disagree. For the few times he had the ball in the second half he was pretty constructive ad did well, but how can you say our best winger had a bad game when 90% of our play was through the middle, long ball or not?

I find some of the city 'fans' more and more pathetic as time goes on. LJ was a very important part in getting us 90mins from the Premier League, week in week out there are players who have worse games than LJ but he is the one who gets slated for it. Makes it more and more unpleasant watching City tbh

I'll admit i'm not one of LJ's biggest fans, but clearly I'm in a minority that thought he had a pretty good game. At last he got beyond the front two (should of at least got his shot away though) and his set pieces cause all sorts of problem. I've seen him less influencial and stay on?

I find some of the city 'fans' more and more pathetic as time goes on. LJ was a very important part in getting us 90mins from the Premier League, week in week out there are players who have worse games than LJ but he is the one who gets slated for it. Makes it more and more unpleasant watching City tbh

I can only assume that the do gooders on here are new to football. Do you not remember Russell Osman getting booed after scoring a GOAL for City? No its not particulalry clever or anything to be proud of but it happens.

Then there is the abuse from the Lee Johnson can do no wrong asssoication, directed instantly at anyone who diviates from the party line. And most interesting is that many of these self styled martyrs find is all so easy to ctiticise other members of the squad but number 33 is untouchable.

I put in to you that you acuse others of criticising Lee Johnson becuase of his father, when you stick up for him purely becuase Gary Johnson is his father.

I don't think ironic cheering of his symbolic substituion yesterday was particularly called for, I just remained in my seat and kept quiet But until it can be demonstated with tangiable evidence why this player is so valuable to the team these dicussions will continue. And just retorting with a load of four letter expletives will not change the view of your fellow ticket paying supporters who think differently to you.

Like some of the other people on this thread, I gave Lee a standing ovation, because I thought he had a decent game and I rate him highly, everyone around me did the same

On a lighter note, in the first half when LJ didnt quite hit a pass right or something and someone (towards the back of the Dolman B Block) shouted out "quick everyone get on the forum" ... made me laugh anyway because it's true he is the one player that gets constant stick, everyone just let him get on with it he's good enough by far, and at least he always gives his all for the club

only on OTIB could someone link the subbing of the managers son, to the credit crunch and global recession :disapointed2se:

Oh, i've lost my job, i think i'll go to football and boo!

I applauded LJ's performance when he was substituted , it certainly wasn't ironic, and seemed genuine from all those around me in the Eastend . He made a few errors which thankfully weren't costly, but overall had a decent game and gave 100 % effort , which is the minimum I expect from any City player . I don't think he's playing well enough to be an automatic pick, and would like to see Noble start occasionally, but I have seen far worse players than Lee at the Gate, and his commitment cant be faulted . Get behind him .

What a dilly of a pickle! I first read this thread this morning and decided not to respond immediately and to think it through. That has just led to me getting splinters in my arse as my thoughts are as follows:

Hard working and ticket paying supporters are entitled to shout their support and scream their frustrations AT THEIR TEAM. If an individual celebrates the individual success of putting the ball in the back of the net then they should also be able to accept the flip side of the coin when things don't go so well.

Alternatively, prolonged and sustained comments about an individual or group of individuals constitues bullying and that fact it is being done under the anonymity of nicknames and forums doesn't make it any less wrong.

LJ makes mistakes as do all professionals (not just sportsmen) and he is being singled out because he is the guvnor's son.

I am not an LJ fan, I am a BCFC fan and am aware of emotional intelligence. Lee doesn't try to make mistakes, they are part of the make-up and exaccerbated just because he is the gaffer's kid.

Three points next week please boys!

only on OTIB could someone link the subbing of the managers son, to the credit crunch and global recession :disapointed2se:

Oh, i've lost my job, i think i'll go to football and boo!

You can interpret my post in a childish manner if you like. But one thing that may well be linked to global recession and credit crunch is season ticket sales for next season. Perhaps GJ wants to think about that before he starts criticising certain sections of the support.

Archived