IGNORED

Lee Johnson

Bris Red

Living in Canada so don't get to see the lads play much except occasionally on Setanta. But I was at the Sheffield Utd game at the end of last season (the weekend after we blew automatic promotion with a shocking Route 1 first half against Stoke). I have to say that one of the best two players on the pitch that day was Gary Speed. Over 6 feet, big and strong, dominated the park, great target for setpieces and dangerous with his head and feet. At 39 would eat Lee Johnson for breakfast. Why couldn't we get someone like that who would be a great dressing room asset at the moment ? (For the answer read on)

The other - I'm sorry to say - was Nick Carle. His crime was that - besides body strength - he had flair and upset GJ's cosy dressing room. He's also scored more goals for Palace this season than LJ and they are higher than us in the league.

Sorry to say this but Steve L made a big mistake giving GJ a 5 year deal. It's made him untouchable and complacent and lost Steve L all leverage. How - for example - can he quietly tell GJ the necessary message - that LJ has to go...?

Gary is in danger of coming across as a bit of a bully. The sort of manager who does very well at motivating and building a team out of the young, the impressionable and the easily dominated. It's OK as long as he's in charge of and surrounded by weaker personalities like Maynard or his son. But - unlike say..Colin - he can't cope with and will always shy away from handling the bigger stars like a Speed ..or a Carle..or even a Trundle. I wasn't a big Marcus Stewart fan but he was actually a great example of GJ's managerial limitations. The Meteb and Mifsud episodes should have rung the warning bells for Steve L again. The man can't cope with and isn't respected by the kind of players we need. Unless he can change - doubtful - he's already reached the end of his limitations.

You will only prosper in the Championship - let alone the Premier - with quality players. Quality players sadly do have egos and will be paid more than the manager. The manager has to be able to cope with that - and MANAGE them ! Without those stars we are and will remain a team of colourless journeymen resorting to Route 1. Last year's play-offs were the high-water mark. We may eke out a couple of seasons in the Championship then we will be back to the familiar surroundings of League 1. Enjoy. Hope the new stadium gets started before that happens cos it never will be otherwise...

Good post, Johnson has imho taken us as far as he can, people will probably slate me for this and say he is a great manager (I thank him or getting us out of league 1 and the fantastic season last year) but imo he has done hes job and taken us out of the lower leagues and last year helped us stay up, but i think he has gone as far as he can, he cleraly cant manage big players whoch i find baffiling and like you said you need a few big names to do well in the championship and obvioulsy the prem.

This is not a sudden out of the blue post ive been thinking this since the summer, i honetsly think GJ is not the right man to take this club to were we wnat to be and that is the prem..

If we would have gone up Would he have signed Giovani Marlon King george Boating etc etc i very much doubht it.

Look guys, LJ hasn't got the physical attributes to be a good player at this level. he will continue to produce good performances 1 in every 5-7 games if the opposition also have a weak midfield or don't play a physical way. I think people are very naive if they think he is worth his place in the team no matter how hard he tries. The funny thing is that his passing is supposed to be the highlight of his game, but he continues to put us in to difficulties with his lax passing across, in front of the back four. Does it once or twice a game. I don't hate the bloke but I think everyone realises he just doesn't cut it. Tommy Doc wasn't any bigger but was far more of a player (granted in the league below) and for 2-3 years before his troubles could have easily played at this standard.

Look guys, LJ hasn't got the physical attributes to be a good player at this level. he will continue to produce good performances 1 in every 5-7 games if the opposition also have a weak midfield or don't play a physical way. I think people are very naive if they think he is worth his place in the team no matter how hard he tries. The funny thing is that his passing is supposed to be the highlight of his game, but he continues to put us in to difficulties with his lax passing across, in front of the back four. Does it once or twice a game. I don't hate the bloke but I think everyone realises he just doesn't cut it. Tommy Doc wasn't any bigger but was far more of a player (granted in the league below) and for 2-3 years before his troubles could have easily played at this standard.

Again, are you forgetting last season?

So Man Utd, Chelsea Liverpool or Arsenal would still be a top four club if they had say Craig Disley in midfield or any midfielder you can think of who aint good enough?

Not with him, but then that gulf in class is in excess of what we're talking.

You could use the example of Park at Man Utd, or possibly O'Shea or Fletcher. One could argue they arent up to the required standard but they still did the double. Park especially is F'in crap!

You could use the example of Park at Man Utd, or possibly O'Shea or Fletcher. One could argue they arent up to the required standard but they still did the double. Park especially is F'in crap!

They don't play every game in the heart of midfield do they? - And fletcher is turning into a class player this season.

Again, are you forgetting last season?

I've been to virtually every game this season and I don't think we're playing much different. Its a case of going stale and teams no what they're up against now. LJ was bad last season and MArv carried him for much of it. Now Marv needs a hand in the centre and LJ isnt the man to do it.

That player who was highlighted by Alex McLeish for all he did in the game on MOTD last night?

I've been to virtually every game this season and I don't think we're playing much different. Its a case of going stale and teams no what they're up against now. LJ was bad last season and MArv carried him for much of it. Now Marv needs a hand in the centre and LJ isnt the man to do it.

I forgot we finished in the bottom half!!

You are absolutely 100% spot on with that Riaz and no sane person can argue any differently.

However - they say the best time to strengthen the squad is when you are doing well and on the way up - not least because it is easier to attract better players.

I've always thought that was harsh and unfair on the players that got you there.

However, it is a fact of life and of football, look how GJ has rightly jettisoned Russell, Jevons, Showumni et al when they were no longer capable of improving with the rest of the team.

GJ no doubt thought he was doing just that when he bought Carle, a central midfield player. Carle was criticized by some when he first came, although many, myself included, pointed out he was being used in an alien position wide on the right. But that was fair enough, why should he walk into a side in which Elliott and Johnson had done very well thankyou.

When Johnson got injured, Carle still didnt get used in the middle initially - if I remember, Skuse played a few games. When Carle was eventually started in the middle, I feel we began to see his true potential. I think many other people did too.

It was therefore an absolute bombshell when GJ decided he wanted to sell him - and I would guess that it was not only the supporters scratching their heads, but some of the more ambitious players too.

If you listed LJ's attributes, in my opinion, you could easily say Carle had those in equal measure, when played in his best position. But with other attributes as well.

Its too late now of course, but in my opinion some of the criticism of LJ, much of it unfair or at least exaggerated, can be traced back to frustration at the departure of Carle, which is coming out now that we are not doing so well.

Of course, GJ may well be right eventually in the ends if not the means, as he has been so many times before.

I personally think LJ has reached his limit, and that for everyones benefit he should move on. However if GJ sticks to his guns and we eventually go up with with LJ playing a major part in that, I would be absolutely thrilled for him.

As I often post when I disagree with you, I feel it only fair to say that I think this is the best post on this thread.

That player who was highlighted by Alex McLeish for all he did in the game on MOTD last night?

Sure, I saw it. We all know Fergie likes a hard worker. But at the same time, Man Utd could get a winger much much better than him.

But, shirts need to be sold...

:innocent06:

Sure, I saw it. We all know Fergie likes a hard worker. But at the same time, Man Utd could get a winger much much better than him.

But, shirts need to be sold...

:innocent06:

Alex Ferguson being made to field a player to sell shirts is right up there with saying Gary Johnson picks Lee because he's his son in the stupidity stakes.

Alex Ferguson being made to field a player to sell shirts is right up there with saying Gary Johnson picks Lee because he's his son in the stupidity stakes.

Was a tongue in cheek comment but I expect theres more to it than footballing ability.

Money talks. Shirt revenue. Asian tours...

Why did you feel the need to bring up Nepotism. Nobody on here has mentioned it. I would think that LJ wouldn't thank you for your condescending remarks. My thoughts, about LJ, are purely concerned with what he does on the pitch. I give him the respect of being judged as a Bristo City Player along with all the other players. Where he chooses to have his Sunday lunch is his and his families business.

What we need is a Jonathon Greening type player, watching him against wigan shows how much we need a player that dictates are play and would compliment elliot as well. As we cant afford the Premier League version of this player we should be looking at these qualities else where and in my view I would go abroad. Swansea and Barnsley have shown you can get quality players at a much reduced price. Come on Gary get the brother a ticket to Spain/ Holland or France

Fergie's nothing if not practical. I'm sure he'd never put up with being told who to buy or select but if the board say to him "Alex, you can sign any far eastern player you like outside your normal budget cos we'll make a fortune out there" he'd give it thought. After all, it's a free player and it keeps the marketing guys sweet for when he wants to lay out £30m on Berbatov etc.

Park's a very decent player and in the side on merit but is he someone Fergie would have signed if he wasn't from that part of the world?

You're contradicting yourself!

You say he's being picked on then go on to say you agree that he shouldn't play and Williams and Noble would be a better option :unsure:

I think the problem is Gary wants to be successful and wants to take Lee along for the ride and to share in that success but he has to realize for the sake of the club and his career that Lee isn't good enough at Championship level.

Time to cut the apron strings Lee .

The most insightful post ever on this forum.

Lee J must go or it could rip this club apart.

I don't pay my season and supported this club for over 30 years so that GJ can give employment to his family.

My view is simple.

Lee Johnson is possibly the worst player to pull on a city shirt since possibly Richard Dryden, as a championship footballer he is a joke and I don't believe he would get into any other championship team.

Quite simply, Gary Johnson is holding this club back by constantly playing his son, what happen in past seasons is history.

If Gary won't drop his son, Steve should drop Gary from his job.

THIS IS MY VIEW AND SOMETHING I FIRMLY BELIEVE IN.

If people disagree, that's their view

Fergie's nothing if not practical. I'm sure he'd never put up with being told who to buy or select but if the board say to him "Alex, you can sign any far eastern player you like outside your normal budget cos we'll make a fortune out there" he'd give it thought. After all, it's a free player and it keeps the marketing guys sweet for when he wants to lay out £30m on Berbatov etc.

Park's a very decent player and in the side on merit but is he someone Fergie would have signed if he wasn't from that part of the world?

I can well imagine he was "encouraged" to sign a far eastern player - but never, not in a million years can I imagine AF would put him in the team if he didn't think he was up to it.

So you actually think that the most successful manager in the modern game is made to buy and field a player he doesn't want in order to sell shirts?

Not made to buy no. I think he knows he can put him in a world class team and get a way with it a few games at a time. He's not a regular. Believe me, Everton or Blackburn will buy him in a year or two. Fergie is good at bumping up a players value by playing him with stars. Nicky Butt, Phil Neville, etc

I can well imagine he was "encouraged" to sign a far eastern player - but never, not in a million years can I imagine AF would put him in the team if he didn't think he was up to it.

He's a hard worker as highlighted on MOTD2 and will fit in but he aint exactly top quality.

My view is simple.

Lee Johnson is possibly the worst player to pull on a city shirt since possibly Richard Dryden, as a championship footballer he is a joke and I don't believe he would get into any other championship team.

Quite simply, Gary Johnson is holding this club back by constantly playing his son, what happen in past seasons is history.

I firmly belive this too and he has to go simply because he is not good enough.

Just like Byfield and Showunmi its nothing personall its just football, looj at it this way what did Byfield ro so wrong last season to be let go ?

Lee should have followed Byfield and Enohc out if the door IMO.

My view is simple.

You said it.

That's quite a claim. Have you only been watching for 18 games?

You should ask Santa for something else - cos that ain't going to happen.

Good for you.

You said it.

That's quite a claim. Have you only been watching for 18 games?

You should ask Santa for something else - cos that ain't going to happen.

Good for you.

Wow, interesting view point you have, OH WAIT, you don't have one? you just come on here having a pop at everyone else's view without giving your own, seems the PM talk about you is true.

I'm sure your mummy will do us all a favour and send you to bed soon and leave the football related discussion to us grown ups.

I've been watching City for nearly 40 years thank you very much.

Wow, interesting view point you have, OH WAIT, you don't have one? you just come on here having a pop at everyone else's view without giving your own, seems the PM talk about you is true.

I'm sure your mummy will do us all a favour and send you to bed soon and leave the football related discussion to us grown ups.

I've been watching City for nearly 40 years thank you very much.

Only 40 years - still wet behind the ears then sunshine. I have given my view plenty of times but people like you refuse to read it - not my problem - none so blind than those who won't see.

Archived