IGNORED

Gary Johnson & His Son

Mr Mosquito

That may be the case.

However, it's consistent with others that the manager considers to be players who will perform for him more often than not.

Basso, Elliott, Carey, McIndoe, Orr, McAllister. Have any of them been dropped due to poor form?

To put Johnson in the same category as them - 2 players the best in their positions as voted by their peers, one being Mr Bristol City with deservedly 500+ games under his belt for gritty determined never say die performances, one being last season one of the hardest working and consistent players I have ever seen at The Gate albeit turned into a sulker this season, the other a Scotland (which after all is almost like an international team) squad member, is not quite absurd, but bordering on it.

Unlike any of the above, Johnson is 27 years old and has played 2 games for any team other than for GJ, and yes, I am beginning to question why that is.

The only answer I can come up with is, given that GJ thinks LJ is a better player than Nick Carle, and thinks that he creates and scores more than Noble, GJ's judgment of central midfield players is extremely suspect.

McAllister has under-performed very regularly - but does not get any scrutiny!!

He gets hammered all the time, however do we have another left back that can competently play there? No.......Fontaine and Wilson have both proved they are nothing more than emergency stop gaps.

So until the window there is nothing that can be done about it.

in other positions in the team there is suitable replacements

To put Johnson in the same category as them - 2 players the best in their positions as voted by their peers, one being Mr Bristol City with deservedly 500+ games under his belt for gritty determined never say die performances, one being last season one of the hardest working and consistent players I have ever seen at The Gate albeit turned into a sulker this season, the other a Scotland (which after all is almost like an international team) squad member, is not quite absurd, but bordering on it.

Unlike any of the above, Johnson is 27 years old and has played 2 games for any team other than for GJ, and yes, I am beginning to question why that is.

The only answer I can come up with is, given that GJ thinks LJ is a better player than Nick Carle, and thinks that he creates and scores more than Noble, GJ's judgment of central midfield players is extremely suspect.

I just can't understand why Lee Johnson can't/wont tackle, tackling being one of the most important aspects of a genuine central midfielder's game. It's really infuriating watching opposition players breeze past Johnson with Johnson rarely offering any kind of resistance.

So, out of Johnson, Basso, Carey, McAllister, Elliott, McIndoe and Orr, only Lee Johnson has underperformed?

How the hell are we 18th then, with so many players performing well and only one underperforming?

Edson your defence of Johnson is commendable but misplaced.

Carey - missed several games due to a mysterious injury which had nothing whatsoever to do with a disagreement with McIndoe after Sheffield United away whatsoever.

Elliott - missed several games through injury.

McAllister - ditto.

Orr - not allowed to play for several games now because he wont extend the contract that doesnt expire until next summer.

Johnson - underperformed.

Whatever your or my opinion of the relative merits of those players (and I don't disagree with you on your descriptions of them), the point I was making was, Gary Johnson (not I) has certain players he trusts to do the job he asks of them on a consistent basis, and those players aren't dropped because of a poor run of form where others are.

In that respect, his selection policy is consistent, if that makes sense.

Isn't that the point?

I believe so (providing I've made the point clearly, which I'm not convinced I have).

Edson your defence of Johnson is commendable but misplaced.

Carey - missed several games due to a mysterious injury which had nothing whatsoever to do with a disagreement with McIndoe after Sheffield United away whatsoever.

Elliott - missed several games through injury.

McAllister - ditto.

Orr - not allowed to play for several games now because he wont extend the contract that doesnt expire until next summer.

Johnson - underperformed.

What's mysterious about a toe injury which required treatment and an injection?

Whatever your or my opinion of the relative merits of those players (and I don't disagree with you on your descriptions of them), the point I was making was, Gary Johnson (not I) has certain players he trusts to do the job he asks of them on a consistent basis, and those players aren't dropped because of a poor run of form where others are.

In that respect, his selection policy is consistent, if that makes sense.

I believe so (providing I've made the point clearly, which I'm not convinced I have).

Yes but thats where once again we shall have to agree to disagree.

Johnson isnt, I don't think, in the team for defensive ability.

So if its not defence, it must be offence. Which he appears to be making rather a fist of.

And therefore, Johnson is having a poor run of form, if indeed it is accepted he ever was in form.

But hasnt, ever, been dropped. Ergo, there appears to be inconsistent selection policy.

So, out of Johnson, Basso, Carey, McAllister, Elliott, McIndoe and Orr, only Lee Johnson has underperformed?

How the hell are we 18th then, with so many players performing well and only one underperforming?

To be honest, out of those, Johnson, Orr and McAllister are the only ones who's forms been poor enough to be dropped

Basso - solid and constant decent form, odd dodgy game here and there maybe.

Carey - without him defensively we are a mess, basically he is Mr Consistant

Elliott - again decent form since he's joined and never had a long run of bad games which hasn't been "carrying an injury" or "recovering from injury" related

Orr - decent last 2 seasons, this season was putting out performance that deserved for him to be dropped, at which point he was but for contract reasons not performance related

McIndoe - more good games than bad, personally I think his performances have suffered due to being constantly asked to cut inside and not being a winger, still fairly constantly good player, but basically has NO replacement even if is having a mare.

McAllister - very mixed bag, very good games followed by very poor games, very inconsistent, if we had another suitable left back he would be dropped by now

Johnson - constantly poor, doesn't tackle, barely ever shoots, can play the odd clever 40yard ball, but can't retain possesion or play simple balls acurately, never dropped despite having replacements such as Noble, Williams and Skuse waiting in wings for a chance.

The problems in the team are the same as that many said they would be at the start of the season and the same as most of last season, lack of creativity from midfield, not enough in general from right wing, and knowwhere near enough creativity from the middle.

That plus the unfortunately high amount of games that Carey has missed, which has caused chaos at the back, is why we are 18th.

With Orr going, I'd say we are 3 first teamers (RB, RW, CM) and cover for the left hand side, away from being a play-off chasing team.........that and a return of confidence.

unfortunately when certain players aren't being given fair runs in the team and others failing constantly and keeping their place, your always going to have problems............the fact that one of the key positions in the team for which a player is underperforming is the managers son.......it only makes the situation even worse.

To be honest, out of those, Johnson, Orr and McAllister are the only ones who's forms been poor enough to be dropped

Basso - solid and constant decent form, odd dodgy game here and there maybe.

Carey - without him defensively we are a mess, basically he is Mr Consistant

Elliott - again decent form since he's joined and never had a long run of bad games which hasn't been "carrying an injury" or "recovering from injury" related

Orr - decent last 2 seasons, this season was putting out performance that deserved for him to be dropped, at which point he was but for contract reasons not performance related

McIndoe - more good games than bad, personally I think his performances have suffered due to being constantly asked to cut inside and not being a winger, still fairly constantly good player, but basically has NO replacement even if is having a mare.

McAllister - very mixed bag, very good games followed by very poor games, very inconsistent, if we had another suitable left back he would be dropped by now

Johnson - constantly poor, doesn't tackle, barely ever shoots, can play the odd clever 40yard ball, but can't retain possesion or play simple balls acurately, never dropped despite having replacements such as Noble, Williams and Skuse waiting in wings for a chance.

The problems in the team are the same as that many said they would be at the start of the season and the same as most of last season, lack of creativity from midfield, not enough in general from right wing, and knowwhere near enough creativity from the middle.

That plus the unfortunately high amount of games that Carey has missed, which has caused chaos at the back, is why we are 18th.

With Orr going, I'd say we are 3 first teamers (RB, RW, CM) and cover for the left hand side, away from being a play-off chasing team.........that and a return of confidence.

unfortunately when certain players aren't being given fair runs in the team and others failing constantly and keeping their place, your always going to have problems............the fact that one of the key positions in the team for which a player is underperforming is the managers son.......it only makes the situation even worse.

You have made some good points there bh.....

So lets try and bring this epic to a close.

LJ has GJ and Mrs GJ's grandchild, no way will that child be moved away. Apart from a one match career at Hearts LJ's been under Mum and Dads management. It is a safety net and let me advise you posters under 50....you cant argue with a Grandma when it comes to a new grandchild. Just imagine Christmas day at the Johnsons, Mr & Mrs GJ, Mr & Mrs PJ, MR and Mrs LJ and the center of the Universe, Mr & Mrs LJ's baby. We just wont enter into that equation, its impossible to over ride the family connection, and with 3 generations of Johnsons together at Christmas its just impossible for GJ not to be under family influence towards his son. It would be unnatural and highly unlikely.

In GJ's position I would find it almost impossible to drop my son, especially with a new grandchild. You younger people have no concept of this equation and IMO LJ only has to be average to appear mom material in the eyes of his dad. Thats just natural feelings and I understand them entirely at 65. GJ is in a no win scenario with the Johnson clan and a no win scenario with many fans who pay good money and demand better results/selections.

In my eyes LJ performed better than average in league 1 and scored 5 goals in our promotion season. In the Championship he is short of the quality needed to affect a game as GJ puts it. I wish him well as he tries hard and is a good pro, however the quality at this level is missing.

On the downside and the family wins the day, we are stuck with LJ and if continually selected it can only help with our relegation. The family wont contemplate a move too far away and that only leaves Yeovil, Cheltenham and Swindon, all 3 a career downer. Cant see any realistic offers for him, or GJ listing him, Mrs GJ would have his guts for garters.

Overall, GJ has a massive ego and rules City with an iron hand, that would naturally extend to his children and the longer he is here, I am convinced that GJ over rates the ability of his son and heir at this level.

The match at the gate V Palace could well be very nasty, the fans supporting/booing LJ/Carle. Carle has started in the Sydney school of hack and hard knocks and you can bet that Warnocke will be right in his face before kick off. The crowd, media and players will all be on a knives edge.

BE THERE.

I have read most of the posts in this topic and I have to disagree that he plays the ball backwards and sideways most of the time. The problem LJ has is the Luke Wilkshire problem his footballing mind does work quite quickly if you think back to the 2nd half on Saturday and McIndoe made a run down the left channel LJ delayed the pass and then McIndoe stopped as LJ played the ball into space behind the defender hence making it look a bad ball. However had McIndoe continued his run it would have been a perfect pass and put Mcindoe free.

Even in the 1st half LJ was always looking up to the wings to play the ball through but because of how narrow we tend to play our wingers there was no other option but to either pass back or go sideways. Just watch and you will notice he looks up looking for the pass but half the time nobody is making a run or staying out on the wing.

This whole LJ thing is just getting tedious, somone said earlier he didn't creat much at Wednesday but I can't remember us creating anything 1st half when he wasn't on the pitch, I think were all to quick to criticise and it is unhealthy for the club and the players when individuals are singled out as LJ constantly is. TBH I would be more concerned that big Dele is the big miss at the moment.

Up the City boys and heres to 3 points Boxing Day :city:

Up the City boys and heres to 3 points Boxing Day :city:

Watford 1 City 3 on Boxing Day. :winner_third_h4h: That's the Christmas spirit I want. I'm also hoping for Nick Carle to have a mental flash back next Sunday where he momentarily thinks - in front of his own goal - that he's playing for us and not Palarse and beats Speroni with a searing shot. 1-0 to the City, 3 points for the BCFC Red Army. You Redzzzzz. That would make some good OTIB headlines if that happened.

I have read most of the posts in this topic and I have to disagree that he plays the ball backwards and sideways most of the time. The problem LJ has is the Luke Wilkshire problem his footballing mind does work quite quickly if you think back to the 2nd half on Saturday and McIndoe made a run down the left channel LJ delayed the pass and then McIndoe stopped as LJ played the ball into space behind the defender hence making it look a bad ball. However had McIndoe continued his run it would have been a perfect pass and put Mcindoe free.

Wilkshire's problem was the opposite I always felt, his footballing brain was too quick for others and he'd pick out a pass, thinking a player would go there, but the player he was passing to wouldn't be quick enough to foresee what was going to happen, that plus Luke didn't like the rough and tumble of League 1 and trips like Colchester and Hartlepool, at this level he would have been much better, which has shown since he left City in Europe and for Oz.

I recall that pass at the time and got well pished off, Personally I very much saw it as LJ delaying the pass for too long, McIndoe had been bombing up field to get into position sprinting almost 30/40 yards and had been screaming for the ball, a defender then cut across to cover mcindoe at which point McIndoe started slowing, THEN Lee played the pass, despite the fact McIndoe stopped run and was getting marked, if he had played the ball 10 seconds earlier he would have been able to get the ball in space, but for me it was another wasted pass by LJ.

LJ has GJ and Mrs GJ's grandchild, no way will that child be moved away. Apart from a one match career at Hearts LJ's been under Mum and Dads management. It is a safety net and let me advise you posters under 50....you cant argue with a Grandma when it comes to a new grandchild. Just imagine Christmas day at the Johnsons, Mr & Mrs GJ, Mr & Mrs PJ, MR and Mrs LJ and the center of the Universe, Mr & Mrs LJ's baby. We just wont enter into that equation, its impossible to over ride the family connection, and with 3 generations of Johnsons together at Christmas its just impossible for GJ not to be under family influence towards his son. It would be unnatural and highly unlikely.

In GJ's position I would find it almost impossible to drop my son, especially with a new grandchild. You younger people have no concept of this equation and IMO LJ only has to be average to appear mom material in the eyes of his dad. Thats just natural feelings and I understand them entirely at 65. GJ is in a no win scenario with the Johnson clan and a no win scenario with many fans who pay good money and demand better results/selections.

In my eyes LJ performed better than average in league 1 and scored 5 goals in our promotion season. In the Championship he is short of the quality needed to affect a game as GJ puts it. I wish him well as he tries hard and is a good pro, however the quality at this level is missing.

On the downside and the family wins the day, we are stuck with LJ and if continually selected it can only help with our relegation. The family wont contemplate a move too far away and that only leaves Yeovil, Cheltenham and Swindon, all 3 a career downer. Cant see any realistic offers for him, or GJ listing him, Mrs GJ would have his guts for garters.

Overall, GJ has a massive ego and rules City with an iron hand, that would naturally extend to his children and the longer he is here, I am convinced that GJ over rates the ability of his son and heir at this level.

The match at the gate V Palace could well be very nasty, the fans supporting/booing LJ/Carle. Carle has started in the Sydney school of hack and hard knocks and you can bet that Warnocke will be right in his face before kick off. The crowd, media and players will all be on a knives edge.

BE THERE.

What a rubbish post. This is professional football not family bl**dy fortunes. I can assure you that the assistant manager is behind Gary's selections as are the coaching staff. None of us see what happens in training / players attitudes etc it has got nothing to do with LJ's grandchild

The family wont contemplate a move too far away and that only leaves Yeovil, Cheltenham and Swindon, all 3 a career downer.

Plus, even nearer to home of course, B.Rovers. No need to up sticks so Lee can remain close to the parents/grandparents. I'd agree though that would be such a catastrophic career downer, even compared with the other 3, that the blighters probably don't warrant a mention.

However...........could Trolloppe be casting envious eyes in the direction of City's much pilloried playmaker? Is a deal being lined up with the rotund Lambert being included as a make (heavy) weight coming in the opposite ditrection? :redcard::o

Lee Johnson to the gas? City manager's diminutive son striding the great divide to join our reviled cross City rivals........plucked from the BCFC pressure cooker yet still able to host extended family occasions at Dad's favourite venue? :dunno:

Fascinating scenario, far from impossible, and it would be [i ]very interesting to see the reaction to such a deal on both sides of the river. :devil:

Plus, even nearer to home of course, B.Rovers. No need to up sticks so Lee can remain close to the parents/grandparents. I'd agree though that would be such a catastrophic career downer, even compared with the other 3, that the blighters probably don't warrant a mention.

However...........could Trolloppe be casting envious eyes in the direction of City's much pilloried playmaker? Is a deal being lined up with the rotund Lambert being included as a make (heavy) weight coming in the opposite ditrection? :redcard::o

Lee Johnson to the gas? City manager's diminutive son striding the great divide to join our reviled cross City rivals........plucked from the BCFC pressure cooker yet still able to host extended family occasions at Dad's favourite venue? :dunno:

Fascinating scenario, far from impossible, and it would be [i ]very interesting to see the reaction to such a deal on both sides of the river. :devil:

Can't see it happening IMO, but saying that if it did happen I feel he would do very well there, lee is a very good CM as proved in our promotion season, just not up to scratch for what we need ( as are other players who got us up ) now the momentum of promotion has died away.

:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

This is professional football not family bl**dy fortunes. I can assure you that the assistant manager is behind Gary's selections as are the coaching staff. None of us see what happens in training / players attitudes etc it has got nothing to do with LJ's grandchild

As a matter of interest, how would you know? :noexpression:

BE THERE.

Nice try. But Lee J doesn't have to be in the first team to remain at BCFC and on the payroll.

What a rubbish post. This is professional football not family bl**dy fortunes. I can assure you that the assistant manager is behind Gary's selections as are the coaching staff. None of us see what happens in training / players attitudes etc it has got nothing to do with LJ's grandchild

I believe GJ likes to be surrounded by yes men, so no matter what they think inside I doubt if any of them will contradict him.

Personally I am not interested in what goes on behind the scenes in training etc. I am only interested in what I watch on a Saturday.

So if you say everyone is backing everyone else and they are all singing from the same hymn sheet (topical) then the whole lot need a re-apraisal, because something, sure as hell, aint right and someone needs to stand up and say so!!!!!

Thankyou for that astute judgement, however you will note that other posters back me up and you have not answered them.

In keeping with the forum rules I tend not to get involved with squabbles and use the ignore button for the outright nonsensical posters.

In your case I have thought it over and will say this. Unless you are a grandparent or senior parent , you are in no position to judge. Finally professional football or family fortunes as you put it, is indeed an invalid comment. Read the news and you will see a constant stream of criminality, rules violations and back room deals. Players careers and where they move to and don't move to hinges a great deal on their wives and families and where they live, want to live or don't want to live. Just look at players that City have tried to sign in recent years.

When I see a gorilla peering out of an Avatar, it does tend to indicate a certain level of intelligence, even contemplating a minor degree of humour.

Players careers and where they move to and don't move to hinges a great deal on their wives and families and where they live, want to live or don't want to live. Just look at players that City have tried to sign in recent years.

An excellent point Sir, I was reading Norman Hunter's memoirs. The reason he left us was because he missed his friends and family in Yorkshire. For those too young to remember, Norman Hunter was the highest calibre defender we've had here since Billy Wedlock. Had Norman Hunter stayed here in some sort of player/coach capacity we may have been able to hold onto our top flight status for a while longer.

At least he gets stuck in and tackles.He gives all he has got even if at times he does not play well.As opposed to LJ who when the going gets tough dissapears.

Whatever you might say about Lee Johnson, and lets face it, most things have been said by now, hiding or disappearing during a game is not one of them. Johnson is always available for a pass and always looking to move the ball on. I can't believe the amount of rubbish that is spouted on here about one of our key players just because he is the managers son. The amount of moaning and groaning that goes on, whether on the radio, on here, or in the ground is unbelievable. It makes the fans look stupid and the club feel small-time.

Whatever you might say about Lee Johnson, and lets face it, most things have been said by now, hiding or disappearing during a game is not one of them. Johnson is always available for a pass and always looking to move the ball on. I can't believe the amount of rubbish that is spouted on here about one of our key players just because he is the managers son. The amount of moaning and groaning that goes on, whether on the radio, on here, or in the ground is unbelievable. It makes the fans look stupid and the club feel small-time.

all perhaps the number of fans that actually think it, may actually have a point?

personally, I just don't like bottlers, especially when they are supposed to be central midfielders which is a position that should involve taclking, the only people who refer the father/son relationship is those defending him, who clearly miss the point.

He's not disliked becuase he's the managers son, people do actually like Gary Johnson, it's just that his son is crap

I firmly believe the sooner lee johnson moves on the better for Bristol City on and off the field........I doubt many would disagree with that statement

all perhaps the number of fans that actually think it, may actually have a point?

personally, I just don't like bottlers, especially when they are supposed to be central midfielders which is a position that should involve taclking, the only people who refer the father/son relationship is those defending him, who clearly miss the point.

He's not disliked becuase he's the managers son, people do actually like Gary Johnson, it's just that his son is crap

I firmly believe the sooner lee johnson moves on the better for Bristol City on and off the field........I doubt many would disagree with that statement

Excellent post......very good statement and IMO opinion very true, i just cant see why GJ dosn't see it??? weather he is looking at it as a manager or a father for me = the same answer....let him go!!!

Excellent post......very good statement and IMO opinion very true, i just cant see why GJ dosn't see it??? weather he is looking at it as a manager or a father for me = the same answer....let him go!!!

Why would you let one of your best players just go?

Archived