IGNORED

Farewell Robins Pub & Quba Ice (topics Merged)

madmax

Yep, my local has shut I have been told. Went down two days ago and it was in darkness so I thought it was a private function, but was told by a neighbour the owners have called time.

Really sad to see the old lady go (pub that is) so will have to find a new local.

R.I.P Robins pub. Hope to see you again soon.

MM

Yep, my local has shut I have been told. Went down two days ago and it was in darkness so I thought it was a private function, but was told by a neighbour the owners have called time.

Really sad to see the old lady go (pub that is) so will have to find a new local.

R.I.P Robins pub. Hope to see you again soon.

MM

this is sad, surely there is someone who will open this up again. i cant see it not making money as it is rammed every home game and the nearest other pubs are the miners and Luckwell. so it has a big catchment area in Ashton.

Guest churchill gaffer
this is sad, surely there is someone who will open this up again. i cant see it not making money as it is rammed every home game and the nearest other pubs are the miners and Luckwell. so it has a big catchment area in Ashton.

Must be because we are getting a new ground?

Joking. It's probibly political!

Probibly ground worth more to owners, for redevelopment.

If this is true it really is bad news, they really tried to get trade in on other days,

not just rely on matchday trade.

The smoking ban, the price the pubs have to charge per pint,

and competition from supermarkets are sounding the death knell

for the traditional pub :disapointed2se:

Must be because we are getting a new ground?

Joking. It's probibly political!

Probibly ground worth more to owners, for redevelopment.

Nothing to do with new ground. Simply no money coming through the tils so I've been told but the owners have been jacked off for sometime. Problem I see it as they tried to make it a music pub with little memorabilia there for football and more photos of Kylie and Elton than Ateyo or 'Fatty' Wedlock'. BCFC history went ages ago. They tried to build recently but to late.

As for Developement, again, been told the Smythe family hold the freehold to the ground and there is only licence for selling alcohol on the site. I think it may stay as a pub, but as all us locals know, the cigar factory shuts in July so who knows whats planned, hence the ship staying shut further down the round, whats planned on a bigger scale.

They sponsor our Sunday League football team so we go back every Sunday, I'm glad I had to find out on otib.

Yep sponser of Ashton Boys I think, no idea what happens now, but people who have purchased tickets for new years do get a refund as funds haven't been exchanged.

Anymore I'll let you know but Ashton Vale residents are gutted.

MM

Pubs are a dying breed nowdays

long gone are the days where you could get 20 fags and 5 pints for a tenner

people don't go out now in the week unless there's something on,

i went up my local 2 weeks ago and there was 4 people in there all night and it cost me 20 quid,

stayin in seems the new out,get on the net 6 cans for 3 bucks and smoke rollups.

Its ripp off Britian

:ranting:

Pubs are a dying breed nowdays

long gone are the days where you could get 20 fags and 5 pints for a tenner

people don't go out now in the week unless there's something on,

i went up my local 2 weeks ago and there was 4 people in there all night and it cost me 20 quid,

stayin in seems the new out,get on the net 6 cans for 3 bucks and smoke rollups.

Its ripp off Britian

:ranting:

I remember riding my motorbike up to the Coach and Horses in Clifton in the early 1980's and downing about 8 pints of their zider at 50p a pint. I'd buy my girlfriend a few drinks as well and have a few games of pool and have plenty of change from £10. These days that would cost me nearer £30 and I'd probably get breathalyzed and arrested on the ride home. :whistle2:

Do you really think home games keep the local pubs going?

The only pubs now left open in the area are the ones that have a good regular base on normal days of the week (although BS3 always seems empty apart from friday/saturdays)

Do you really think home games keep the local pubs going?

The only pubs now left open in the area are the ones that have a good regular base on normal days of the week (although BS3 always seems empty apart from friday/saturdays)

being rammed every home game cant do no harm to finances but i don't think they can survive on just matchday profits. that is why i mentioned that is is the nearest pub around for a large area in Ashton.

It is strange that during the week most pubs in the city are empty but you take a drive out to the country and most country pubs are doing good business with people driving out. A lot more needs to be done to save local pubs.

I remember riding my motorbike up to the Coach and Horses in Clifton in the early 1980's and downing about 8 pints of their zider at 50p a pint. I'd buy my girlfriend a few drinks as well and have a few games of pool and have plenty of change from £10. These days that would cost me nearer £30 and I'd probably get breathalyzed and arrested on the ride home. :whistle2:

Its all relative to the time.

I remember beer at 20p a pint but I was only earning a tenner a week. Thats 50 pints a week. Now a pint is around £3 depending on where you drink. Most of us earn more than £150 so alcohol is relatively cheaper now than it was 30 odd years ago.

Its partly the competition from supermarkets and offie's along with stricter drink driving policing thats a big factor in people using pubs less.

The pub will only be full 23 days a year on match days, Christmas Day is usually pretty full and New Years is usually full. However this year it wasn't the case and from what I hear New Years Eve wasn't selling well either.

Yes I totally agree with Supermarkets and with the current credit crunch, the writing is on the wall for many other pubs.

Pubs have changed their strategy of late. North Street is a prime example. Hen and Chicken now sell food until 10:30 Sunday to Thursday and Middnight on Friday and Saturday and you get a lot of families in there. You have The Tounge Cafe and Bar plus The Tabcco Factory. Quba Ice is probably the only 'traditional' pub on that section of North Street.

MM

Yes I totally agree with Supermarkets and with the current credit crunch, the writing is on the wall for many other pubs.

The crucial factor is the breweries that own the pubs strangling the landlords with extortionate rents. They just don't seem to realise that they are responsible for many pubs closing. The landlords just can't make a decent living. Not all pubs have the facilities to prepare and cook food.

The crucial factor is the breweries that own the pubs strangling the landlords with extortionate rents. They just don't seem to realise that they are responsible for many pubs closing. The landlords just can't make a decent living. Not all pubs have the facilities to prepare and cook food.

Yeah fair point. When you pop into Sainsburys across the road from the Robins and get 8 cans of Carlsberg for £7, a litre of Bacardi for £14 pubs just can't compete. The breweries ship out the same stuff to pubs 200% higher than the supermarkets sell it, but the breweries don't care and probably see the supermarket/offey as their main source of income now.

Chatting to Laura behind the bar back in the summer, she said the breweries have put their costs up because of the fuel prices so the Robins have no choice but to pass on the increase to patrons. When the fuel prices dropped this made no difference to the beer prices.

MM

I smoke and understand the need for others to be able to drink smoke free, but a total ban on smoking in pubs has caused a lot of pubs to lose business, what was wrong with pubs having an option of a snug/smoking room like in older times, some have countered to loss of trade from smokers by introducing hot food/ bistro, but all pubs don't have to room to do so.

The pub will only be full 23 days a year on match days, Christmas Day is usually pretty full and New Years is usually full. However this year it wasn't the case and from what I hear New Years Eve wasn't selling well either.

Pubs have changed their strategy of late. North Street is a prime example. Hen and Chicken now sell food until 10:30 Sunday to Thursday and Middnight on Friday and Saturday and you get a lot of families in there. You have The Tounge Cafe and Bar plus The Tabcco Factory. Quba Ice is probably the only 'traditional' pub on that section of North Street.

MM

Quba Ice is shutting as well.

• Admin
Quba Ice is probably the only 'traditional' pub on that section of North Street.

MM

I would suggest that The Masonic is the only traditional pub in the whole of North St.

I just hope that there are some pubs left, as I don't drink beer at home, it just doesn't seem right, I'd rather go and pay £2.50 a pint for a decent real ale or cider in a good pub atmosphere, than be sat at home with some cheap, fizzy, chemical crap from a tin.

I would suggest that The Masonic is the only traditional pub in the whole of North St.

I just hope that there are some pubs left, as I don't drink beer at home, it just doesn't seem right, I'd rather go and pay £2.50 a pint for a decent real ale or cider in a good pub atmosphere, than be sat at home with some cheap, fizzy, chemical crap from a tin.

The Full Moon North Street is still there and trading.

Archived