IGNORED

Farewell Robins Pub & Quba Ice (topics Merged)

madmax

Guest RobbieTurner
The Robins, Wedlocks, and the ship had the same problems, not the place most people want to drink, wrong clientel which puts off lots of people. Be honest what person whats to go out on anight out and stand next to a bunch of loud drunks who have been there since tea time, how is that fun.....

The pattern is there for everyone to see, I beleive in general most people are fed up with the lack of respect in the world and when you get people with no respect drunk that is a recipe for disaster, hence lots of pubs being quite, people have had enough.

Yeah ok , I think we get your point now, you can stop calling all us people that used to go in the Robins alcoholic trouble makers with no respect for anyone else....!!!

Wakey wakey mate, we are talking not only bout Mon-Fri drinkers, we are talking about one of the most popular pubs over the last 30 odd years with City fans and its being taken away from us. We don't need a lecture on what is good and whats bad and what should or shouldn't be allowed in pubs. If you're that knowledgeable about the pub game, buy the place yourself and structure your clientale around what you want.

Oh and I'd imagine you would let me in as even though I was a Robins regular, I am not an alcoholic trouble making person and have respect for the next person.

looks like I now have 2 options

a) buy some cans from the off licence across the road and sit in the pub car park (which people did before it closed)

The offey across the road is up for sale and no interest shown as Julie says shes making a loss. Looks like Sainsburys will be the only place for a prematch pint soon.

MM

Very sad news indeed seeing yet another BS3 pub go under. Our culture, history and heritage is being slowly but surely destroyed. Pubs up and down our country are going the same way so it's not just a South Bristol problem.

I still miss "The Western Coach House" (Also known as the "Everybody Inn" - as they kept on changing the name back and forth) in Frampton Cotterell...

Quite a few City fans in the South Gloucestershire area drank many a pint in that pub as well! :(

Its because of Sainsburys, Tescos etc we are in this godforsaken mess, convenient shopping? more like Capitalist overkill.

I believe not being able to smoke in the pub has done a lot of harm to the trade. When we could smoke in the pub 6 of us would go in and have a few beers and a couple of fags, When we could not smoke in any pub we started buying cans and meeting outside, you could still have the same crack for a fraction of the price. I wonder hpw many more have done what we did?? Judging by how many people are outside of the pubs byu ashton gate i would say a fair few.

Its because of Sainsburys, Tescos etc we are in this godforsaken mess, convenient shopping? more like Capitalist overkill.

Very true

Capitalism is supposed to give the consumer more choice but it's not working out that way. I really feel pubs are shutting down because of the influence of cheap alcohol in supermarkets

Wheres Red Goblin by the way? :)

agree, you can't even buy natch in the bloodsucking tesco empire

So you shop there then?

Problem is with the awful blooksucking capitalist empires is they're actually quite good and successful because of that. As indeed are pubs, if you're quality you get success. Wetherspoon profits are down, but they're still reasonably healthy.

The dodgey pups are the ones most effected by the financial problems and the clientel issues. Hopefully the new ground will generate income to the area and therefore not only pubs will be needed but nice ones people actually want to go to.

So you shop there then?

Problem is with the awful blooksucking capitalist empires is they're actually quite good and successful because of that. As indeed are pubs, if you're quality you get success. Wetherspoon profits are down, but they're still reasonably healthy.

The dodgey pups are the ones most effected by the financial problems and the clientel issues. Hopefully the new ground will generate income to the area and therefore not only pubs will be needed but nice ones people actually want to go to.

no i don't shop there i went looking for some natch in nailsea

you think tesco is good for competition? try telling that to those farmers who are bullied into cutting their prices or the small businesses that close up when it opens its doors in a new area.

you think tesco is good for competition? try telling that to those farmers who are bullied into cutting their prices or the small businesses that close up when it opens its doors in a new area.

I know a few farmers and they are all (deservedly) better off than the average man/woman.

If people don't like Tescos then support your local rip off general store - i'd rather see 100 new jobs created myself .

As long as you have Morrisons, Safeway, Asda etc etc you will get competiton that's good for us particularly in these tough times.

Has anyone analysed how many people drink out nowadays compared to say 20 years ago?

In the city centre there are loads more pubs with larger capacities than in the 70's and they are heaving - its more a factor of changing consumer demands than smoking bans - I think people are happier to travel short distances to drink where they like, rather than loyally plod down to the 'local' unless it meets all their expectations, which the Robins clearly didn't.

I know a few farmers and they are all (deservedly) better off than the average man/woman.

If people don't like Tescos then support your local rip off general store - i'd rather see 100 new jobs created myself .

As long as you have Morrisons, Safeway, Asda etc etc you will get competiton that's good for us particularly in these tough times.

Has anyone analysed how many people drink out nowadays compared to say 20 years ago?

In the city centre there are loads more pubs with larger capacities than in the 70's and they are heaving - its more a factor of changing consumer demands than smoking bans - I think people are happier to travel short distances to drink where they like, rather than loyally plod down to the 'local' unless it meets all their expectations, which the Robins clearly didn't.

4 pubs a day are closing due to the smoking ban

4 pubs a day are closing due to the smoking ban

Thats a very sweeping statement and based on hearsay and speculation. Show me any substansial evidence to show that 4 pubs a day are closing due to the smoking ban alone and I'll tell you where to buy Natch in Nailsea.... :yes:

There are lots of other reasons why 4 pubs a day are closing, most have which have been covered in this thread.

Thats a very sweeping statement and based on hearsay and speculation. Show me any substansial evidence to show that 4 pubs a day are closing due to the smoking ban alone and I'll tell you where to buy Natch in Nailsea.... :yes:

There are lots of other reasons why 4 pubs a day are closing, most have which have been covered in this thread.

Put it like this

It aint bloody well helping is it

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news...pubs.4782825.jp

i live down in portishead and after the palarse match decieded to stay in saff bristol for a few pints until my permit ran out which was 9pm ( wifes orders ) went to supporters club ,( well populated ) bs3 not as busy as i thought , walked up to cuba ice ( closed ) went into the hen/chicken which was much busier than i expected as i have heard its a student pub ( lots of lads in there deffo not students ) then up to 3 lions which was fairly busy and ok until some nobhead asked who i was cos he hadnt seen me in there before ( been there about 20 times over last 5 years so not a regular ) when i said I'm from portishead he says this is for real city fans from south bristol ( am i looking forwad to seeing him at the gate when I'm sober and hes not mobhanded ) prat, but back to the subject all the pubs i went in were busy

• Admin

The Blue Flame (now, there's a proper traditional pub.......)

It's not totally the Smoking Ban, worked in Ireland for years and also cheap booze has always been available at the supermarket. It's money, good night out cost loads when you add up Taxi's, Babysitters, Drinks, Fags (outside) even here thats around $175 for me and the wife.

"Leeds lost 12 boozers last year out of a total of 740 licensed premises, although this figure includes nightclubs and off-licences."

1.6% closing each year all due to the smoking ban. Oh no! In 200 years time there will be less than 30 pubs off licenses and clubs in Leeds at that rate of progression.

Who's ripping us off? The supermarkets who charge less or the corner shops?

"Leeds lost 12 boozers last year out of a total of 740 licensed premises, although this figure includes nightclubs and off-licences."

1.6% closing each year all due to the smoking ban. Oh no! In 200 years time there will be less than 30 pubs off licenses and clubs in Leeds at that rate of progression.

Who's ripping us off? The supermarkets who charge less or the corner shops?

alistair darling

country pubs seem to do ok on weekends if they do food, but the Star inn at Star on the A38 is now being run by adminastrators, and the White Hart at Cross is being shut down, Just seem's the way things are going brewery's are shutting pubs with not a high enough turn over, and leaving clause's in the planning so they cant be reopened as Pub's again. The Bell at redcliffe is just another one. I got told about the Robin's shutting by Gerry the landlord of the Miners last night, so guess my local is going to be ramed now on a sat, Gerry is lucky he always has a good full pub what ever day of the week.

Don't tell me The Bell's closed ? That would be tragic.

I know alot of Framers and they hate Tesco's if your on a contract selling your milk for an average of 19p per litre to tesco's, tesco's now have you tied in so they can access your accounts at any time, so they can see how much more than can crush you, They cancel contracts at a moments notice and leave you high and dry. Tesco's and other global giants are destroying the communitys we all live in

The Blue Flame (now, there's a proper traditional pub.......)

Ahh the Blue flame, I would like to see the man/woman from the Brewery brave enough to go in there and tell the Locals it's shutting, Propper old country boozer with good locals that look after there local. just like the Crown at churchill and my Local the Miners on Bedminster down rd

Archived