IGNORED

Lee Johnson - Good Points?

Shockwave

Does anyone know any good points for Lee Johnson?

Subsituted When bad - no

Good passer - no

Crunching Tackles - no

Scores loads of goals - no

What does he actually give to the team?

comments please

Your right but if he's fit he'll play regardless of what he does or doesn't do on the pitch.

He was woeful in the first half against Wolves and only marginly better in the 2nd 45, His passing was all over the place and he consistently gave the ball away. Should of been subbed at half time with Stvar.

With a another decent one in the middle with Marv just how much better could we be? It all very well every one moaning because there's another LJ thread but what do you suggest we do, just ignore his consistently under par performances and just turn a blind eye! When's Gary going to do the honourable thing and enter the transfer market for genuine play maker to play along side Marv and stop deluding himself that LJ is the answer.

Of course Lee wasn't the only player to give it away but these players have other qualitys to offer, If Lee is going to be a play maker then his passing needs to be on the money and needs to contribute more in the final third. Otherwise he's just a passenger for large sections of the match.

This is the criteria for a central midfielder as according to a BBC webpage.....if you're fielding a central midfield player that isn't really up to all the following criteria then games that should be won may be drawn or lost as is happening too often this season.......

It is in the centre of midfield that games are often won or lost.

The best clubs in the country all have world-class players in this position, such as Frank Lampard for Chelsea, Roy Keane for Manchester United and Steven Gerrard at Liverpool.

They are described as the orchestra conductors, the engines of the team, the players pulling the strings from the middle.

You have to have stamina by the bagful to play in this position. It involves endless running.

You will need to be a strong tackler to win the ball back and have the skill to create opportunities for the strikers ahead of you.

A lot of your work will go unnoticed as you will make forward runs to join your attackers.

But so too will your opposite number, and you must match those runs to assist your defence.

Source: http://news.BBC.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/r...ent/4197190.stm

Guest wheres your caravan??

Wen will Gary sign anoter centre mid????

I'm getting very angry watching is son trotting about the place shirking tackles and giving the ball away!!!!

Lee Johnson never seems 100% committed to the tackle unlike his fellow midfielders Marvin Elliott and Cole Skuse who always seem 100% committed.

If you wanna work on that basis, Elliott actually bottled his first challenge against pompey but that didn't make him a bad player.

Poo thread once again. And it's threads like these which ruin this board.

Don't watch then! Oops - forgot - you don't already do you.

Very witty cheese, well done!!!!

If having a season ticket and attending 75% of away games doesn't qualify as watching then I'm sorry!

Is there a comparison between LJ and Trevor Tainton, position & size-wise ?

Never saw TT play but I get the impression from having read various articles etc over the years that he polarised opinions as much as LJ.

TT of course must count as an Ashton legend, over 400 games.

Very witty cheese, well done!!!!

If having a season ticket and attending 75% of away games doesn't qualify as watching then I'm sorry!

There's a difference between watching and seeing - it's the latter that seems to defeat you.

Still, once ME leaves you'll be spared from either as you'll be handing back your ST.

Is there a comparison between LJ and Trevor Tainton, position & size-wise ?

Never saw TT play but I get the impression from having read various articles etc over the years that he polarised opinions as much as LJ.

TT of course must count as an Ashton legend, over 400 games.

Trevor Tainton was good enough to play top flight football for Bristol City.

There's a difference between watching and seeing - it's the latter that seems to defeat you.

Still, once ME leaves you'll be spared from either as you'll be handing back your ST.

Cheese, I said i would hand it back if ME was sold for £1.6m!

Why wont you accept that he is just not good enough?

Lee Johnson has been in the team from all our recent success. FACT.

Some people can't admit they know less about football than GJ and other managers.

Alot of what people are asking for would play in the premier league:

-Pace

-Vision

-Quick Feet

-Creates Chances

-Scores Goals

-Tackles Back

Some people can't admit they know less about football than GJ and other managers.

-Pace-NO

-Vision-NO

-Quick Feet-NO

-Creates Chances-NO

-Scores Goals-NO

-Tackles Back-NO

I'd just settle for a few of those attributes!

-Pace

-Vision

-Quick Feet

-Creates Chances

-Scores Goals

-Tackles Back

LJ has none of these!

Cheese, I said i would hand it back if ME was sold for £1.6m!

Why wont you accept that he is just not good enough?

Because the evidence doesn't suggest it. But we've been through this. Why can't you accept that he is good enough for this level. Not the best, certainly not the worst, but certainly capablle - and the best we have at this club currently.

Because the evidence doesn't suggest it. But we've been through this. Why can't you accept that he is good enough for this level. Not the best, certainly not the worst, but certainly capablle - and the best we have at this club currently.

Thats just the point Gary has ensured this is the situation. Why do we have no other option to Lee Johnson. Persoannly I'd like to see Noble or Williams for that matter rather than Johnson.

What are his attributes? What does he do?

He is capable, approximately 1 in 10 games, just not good enough!

Williams is a far better player than LJ, proved by the fact he was brought by a Premier League side, and played for Ipswich whilst we were still in league 1!

Thats just the point Gary has ensured this is the situation. Why do we have no other option to Lee Johnson. Persoannly I'd like to see Noble or Williams for that matter rather than Johnson.

We do have other options - you have named some yourself. And so does the bloke looking for a caravan. Unfortunately those other options are not as good.

LJ is arguably proven at this level though.

I'm sure if GJ thinks things are in turmoil and we do need a massive shake-up then he would give Gav or Nobes a go but atm we aint doin alright so stick with it.

I do though think that this summer or the summer after we will have to get rid of maybe 6/7 players and bring in new ones.

I think however though that our coaching staff of old players will be amazing.

-Basso

-Carey

-LJ

-Walsh

-Dele/Trunds

-Orr when he retires

????????

Cracking championship side in their hey day.

I'd just settle for a few of those attributes!

If we're genuinely aiming for a return to the top flight then our midfield has to be strengthened preferably with a Gerry Gow type player. If we're going to have a small player in midfield then this is the type of small player I'd settle for..... Despite his small stature, the late Billy Bremner (No 4 of football's greatest hard men) was famously described as 10st of barbed wire. Aside from genuine footballing ability, special moves included ankle-biting tackles, throwing his meagre weight around and ceaselessly agitating opponents. A firebrand.......

article-1118103-007F925A00000258-594_224x428.jpg

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...t-hard-men.html

We do have other options - you have named some yourself. And so does the bloke looking for a caravan. Unfortunately those other options are not as good.

Haha! Williams was brought by a Premier League side! He was also at Ipswich when we were still in league 1. As many Ipswich fans said when we signed him he is one of the best midfielders in the division when he is fit, he has rarely been injured in his time here!

If we're genuinely aiming for a return to the top flight then our midfield has to be strengthened preferably with a Gerry Gow type player. If we're going to have a small player in midfield then this is the type of small player I'd settle for..... Despite his small stature, the late Billy Bremner (No 4 of football's greatest hard men) was famously described as 10st of barbed wire. Aside from genuine footballing ability, special moves included ankle-biting tackles, throwing his meagre weight around and ceaselessly agitating opponents. A firebrand.......

article-1118103-007F925A00000258-594_224x428.jpg

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...t-hard-men.html

Neither of those two would be allowed to stay on the pitch past half time these days (unfortunately).

It all very well every one moaning because there's another LJ thread but what do you suggest we do, just ignore his consistently under par performances and just turn a blind eye!

When and where were these under par performances?

Let's have the full list because everyone's really bored of these vague threads that go nowhere.

When's Gary going to do the honourable thing and enter the transfer market for genuine play maker to play along side Marv and stop deluding himself that LJ is the answer.

When someone better becomes available at a decent price.

Haha! Williams was brought by a Premier League side! He was also at Ipswich when we were still in league 1. As many Ipswich fans said when we signed him he is one of the best midfielders in the division when he is fit, he has rarely been injured in his time here!

You won't let this go will you.

A central midfielder doesn't NEED to set the world alight, look at manchester united. World champions, European champions, English champions. Their central midfielders consist of Giggs, Scholes, Carrick, Anderson and Fletcher.

We don't necceseraly need this amazing trickery goal scoring midfielder you all bark on about.

I would rather have Carrick in the united team than Kaka for instance.

When and where were these under par performances?

Let's have the full list because everyone's really bored of these vague threads that go nowhere.

When someone better becomes available at a decent price.

There are countless games in which LJ has been awful!

Apart from Charlton, Southampton and Portsmouth when has he played well?

There are countless games in which LJ has been awful!

Apart from Charlton, Southampton and Portsmouth when has he played well?

There have been countless games when he has played well - he played especially well against Charlton, Southampton and Portsmouth.

You won't let this go will you.

A central midfielder doesn't NEED to set the world alight, look at manchester united. World champions, European champions, English champions. Their central midfielders consist of Giggs, Scholes, Carrick, Anderson and Fletcher.

We don't necceseraly need this amazing trickery goal scoring midfielder you all bark on about.

I would rather have Carrick in the united team than Kaka for instance.

All of these players score goals (exception of Anderson), create chances, go forward, don't shirk tackles, track back and can head.

What can LJ do apart frompass the ball backwards, sideways and very occasionaly forwards?

Neither of those two would be allowed to stay on the pitch past half time these days (unfortunately).

The 1970's were a heyday for this club and English football. I feel honoured and proud to have witnessed the likes of known 'nutters' such as Norman Hunter, Ron Harris, Gerry Gow and Billy Bremner play at Ashton Gate.

Archived