IGNORED

Lee Johnson - Good Points?

Shockwave

So games where he played outstandingly badly:

Cardiff, Birmingham, Sheff UTD, Reading, Norwich home

Note the most recent of these was 14 matches ago.

Games where he played as badly as the most/all of the team:

Wolves away, Preston away, Palace away, Norwich home, Burnley home, Watford home

Anyone disagree? Any more to add?

Against Reading everyone played badly.

He was alright against Cardiff, Brum, Sheff Utd and Norwich.

Just a quick question, do you think LJ reads this forum?

I spoke to him before the Pompey game and so did alot of fans and surely if he did he would feel like everyone hates him.

I actually feel sorry for Lee. Even when he has a good game he still gets slated, I'm not his biggest fan but I shall always support any player 110% whilst they are in that red shirt He is not a DM nor is he a AM, He is a typical MC who just wonders around and picks up loose balls and passes it around and that is why he gets so much stick because he doesn't score goals etc.

He only ever started 9 games for Plymouth!!

No we are not a one man team. But LJ was a virtual ever-present in a team that was one game away from the promise land - which says it all and makes what you said comical.

He played in central midfield -where you cant hide! If we had a central midfielder who wasnt good enough - we would'nt have been nowhere near the top.

I don't think that LJ's injury cost us promotion - but the balance in midfield was'nt there until NC came into the side. Maybe if NC replaced him immediately we might have got auto promotion. I remember Stoke away, we missed LJ badly that day because stoke were there for the taking - If only NC played instead of Skuse. Things could have been different?? who knows

PS I have checked the stats!! You should really take your own advice!

Carle was injured for the stoke game.

Yes I know the stats and Sturrock was a regular player, he may have only started 9 games, but he played in over 70 games in 3 years.

as for our position, we were top DIRECTLY after the southampton, but before we had kicked a ball in the next game we weren't which is the point I was making, everyone else had at least one game in hand over us and had us in a false position.

Against Reading everyone played badly.

He was alright against Cardiff, Brum, Sheff Utd and Norwich.

Just a quick question, do you think LJ reads this forum?

I spoke to him before the Pompey game and so did alot of fans and surely if he did he would feel like everyone hates him.

This is similar to the point I was leading up to.

I've showed that Caravan and presumably the others are judging LJ on his performance when he was going through his bad patch ie games before Southampton.

But his bad patch was largely down to his treatment by the boo-boys. If you ask him in private, he will admit it and he even admitted it publicly:

"Having a baby can be the best thing in the world, but at times it isn't easy. I'm very fortunate in that I have a good wife at home who is strong and who looks after things.

"You need that when things become difficult. I'm always striving to do the best I can for the club, but it's not easy playing for your dad.

"There are times when you get stick and the reaction I had last week wasn't nice. You give 100 per cent every game and what happened against Reading hurt me.

"Fair enough, I had a bad game, but then so did eight or nine others.

"It's difficult, but you have to accept it (criticism) and try not to let it get you down."

This shouldn't be a surprise. It would affect nearly all of us in the same way. We pretend footballers are robots but they're human and their human doubts can seriously affect their play. Try kicking a ball when you doubt your ability to do so.

So he is still getting stick from people who largely caused him to play badly and are still judging him because he did play badly.

This is why it grates me and why I stand up for him.

Word is he somehow got his head past it before the Southampton game and I believe he's been playing much better ever since.

This is similar to the point I was leading up to.

I've showed that Caravan and presumably the others are judging LJ on his performance when he was going through his bad patch ie games before Southampton.

But his bad patch was largely down to his treatment by the boo-boys. If you ask him in private, he will admit it and he even admitted it publicly:

"Having a baby can be the best thing in the world, but at times it isn't easy. I'm very fortunate in that I have a good wife at home who is strong and who looks after things.

"You need that when things become difficult. I'm always striving to do the best I can for the club, but it's not easy playing for your dad.

"There are times when you get stick and the reaction I had last week wasn't nice. You give 100 per cent every game and what happened against Reading hurt me.

"Fair enough, I had a bad game, but then so did eight or nine others.

"It's difficult, but you have to accept it (criticism) and try not to let it get you down."

This shouldn't be a surprise. It would affect nearly all of us in the same way. We pretend footballers are robots but they're human and their human doubts can seriously affect their play. Try kicking a ball when you doubt your ability to do so.

So he is still getting stick from people who largely caused him to play badly and are still judging him because he did play badly.

This is why it grates me and why I stand up for him.

Word is he somehow got his head past it before the Southampton game and I believe he's been playing much better ever since.

Nice post mate.Good effort.

I'm sure LJ knows that 90% of the fans are right behind him, even if not all of those rate him, he knows they appreciate him giving it his all, which he does without fail each and every time. For the record, i do rate him as a player i think he's key for us, BUT even if i didnt i would still thank him for the effort he puts in for us. Given some of the money bagging drinker play boys we've had over the recent years here,pre-GJ, we should all acknowlegde this and be gratefull for it.

Crack on Lee.

Carle was injured for the stoke game.

Yes I know the stats and Sturrock was a regular player, he may have only started 9 games, but he played in over 70 games in 3 years.

as for our position, we were top DIRECTLY after the southampton, but before we had kicked a ball in the next game we weren't which is the point I was making, everyone else had at least one game in hand over us and had us in a false position.

Ok 2nd!!!! That is still BRILLIANT.

Any player who plays central midfield in a team who is 2nd after 40 odd games is good enough. Theres no hiding in central midfield especially in the championship.

don't get me wrong, he has'nt performed this season and I'm all for him being dropped. But to say he cant do it on a regular basis is just bollox in my opinion.

One thing I would say is that when you watch the highlights on World it is often far more noticeable what Johnson brings to the team as opposed to watching live at the game. I don't think he played particularly well v Pompey or Wolves. However looking at the Wolves highlights on World, he did contribute a heck of a lot to our comeback.

In one way or another he is involved in a lot of our good attacking moves. However as he doesn't always play the "final" ball, his contribution is frequently forgotton - especially if due to no fault of his own the move doesn't result in a goal or at least a good attempt on goal.

Without thinking very hard:

He put Sproule through 1v1 against Cov, Brum & Donny - Sproule missed all 3.

He put McIndone through 1v1 against Donny

He put Maynard through 1v1 against Cardiff

He put Adebola through 1v1 against (I think) Swans or Forest - when Dele blazed over

He put a cross on Adebolas head v Sheff Utd which went over

His shot spilled to Trundle v Sheff Utd but Trunds missed

He set up at least 1 (maybe 2) goals at Watford

He was heavily involved in both goals at Charlton

He scored (shock horror!) at Soton

That list has been put together in 2 mins without looking at highlights to jog my memory. I am sure that I have missed other things out. Is that contribution enough ?? I don't know, but he certainly does more than some folk will allow himc credit for.

One thing I would say is that when you watch the highlights on World it is often far more noticeable what Johnson brings to the team as opposed to watching live at the game. I don't think he played particularly well v Pompey or Wolves. However looking at the Wolves highlights on World, he did contribute a heck of a lot to our comeback.

In one way or another he is involved in a lot of our good attacking moves. However as he doesn't always play the "final" ball, his contribution is frequently forgotton - especially if due to no fault of his own the move doesn't result in a goal or at least a good attempt on goal.

Without thinking very hard:

He put Sproule through 1v1 against Cov, Brum & Donny - Sproule missed all 3.

He put McIndone through 1v1 against Donny

He put Maynard through 1v1 against Cardiff

He put Adebola through 1v1 against (I think) Swans or Forest - when Dele blazed over

He put a cross on Adebolas head v Sheff Utd which went over

His shot spilled to Trundle v Sheff Utd but Trunds missed

He set up at least 1 (maybe 2) goals at Watford

He was heavily involved in both goals at Charlton

He scored (shock horror!) at Soton

That list has been put together in 2 mins without looking at highlights to jog my memory. I am sure that I have missed other things out. Is that contribution enough ?? I don't know, but he certainly does more than some folk will allow himc credit for.

Amazingly, for all that, the club stats show he only has 2 assists. Ironically thats 1 more than Noble who has made 5 starts and 4 subs appearances, as opposed to Lj, who has made 28 starts and 1 sub appearance. By your logic, we obviously need some more strikers.

Amazingly, for all that, the club stats show he only has 2 assists. Ironically thats 1 more than Noble who has made 5 starts and 4 subs appearances, as opposed to Lj, who has made 28 starts and 1 sub appearance. By your logic, we obviously need some more strikers.

I am not saying we need new strikers. However do you think if we signed say Dave Jones or Brian Howard, they would have the ability to play through balls & run on to them, themselves ??

You are so anti LJ you only see what you want & what reinforces your view.

• Admin

Those stats are clearly wrong as I can think of 3 immediately off the top of my head without needing to do any research.

Archived