IGNORED

'big' Clubs

gater2

Sorry mate but the team that went up to the first division would have played this lot of the park.

Interesting observation that seeing as they went up playing a game that usually involved sitting on one goal leads.

Also worth noting how long it took for the manager and team to get us in to a position where we could challenge for promotion.

Sick of hearing this sleeping giant crap...Ive been hearing it since I was about 12, and I'm 35 now!

And whoever said that the size of the catchment area of 1m odd makes this club a sleeping giant...it doesnt. It makes us a relatively smal club. If that were the case Millwall, Orient, Dagenham and Redbridge, Walsall (etc etc) all have bigger potential.

This club is a relatevely small club....certainly in terms of history, honours, attendance, ground size, wage bill, time in the CCC etc etc etc

For those that think that bcfc is anything but a relatively small club, take a trip away from the region and see how big a club people think we are. Where a lot of ciy fans get confused is that bcfc is by far the biggest club in the west country...and thats ends up as weare a massive club.

I just dont get why people think this its a bigger club than it is, or that even Bristol is such a massive place..........but then again Ive always thought that many city fans had notions of granduer, which of course leads to massivey inflated expectations, and demands of promotion to the premier league every year.

I agree with the post that says we are about 12th biggest, so lets have some perspective when winging about Gary Johnson that anything above is a bonus.

Guest ashtonyate
Yeah, the Derby fans sounded really happy with their lot up until the goal on Saturday. I bet they were chuffed to bits with their 11 points in the Premier League two seasons ago too, and their 18th-placed finish in the Championship last season.

I somehow doubt there's ever been a time when you haven't been peed off.

You still haven't answered the questions. I don't recall asking why they get more fans.

tell me again what was your question you lost me

Sick of hearing this sleeping giant crap...Ive been hearing it since I was about 12, and I'm 35 now!

And whoever said that the size of the catchment area of 1m odd makes this club a sleeping giant...it doesnt. It makes us a relatively smal club. If that were the case Millwall, Orient, Dagenham and Redbridge, Walsall (etc etc) all have bigger potential.

This club is a relatevely small club....certainly in terms of history, honours, attendance, ground size, wage bill, time in the CCC etc etc etc

For those that think that bcfc is anything but a relatively small club, take a trip away from the region and see how big a club people think we are. Where a lot of ciy fans get confused is that bcfc is by far the biggest club in the west country...and thats ends up as weare a massive club.

I just dont get why people think this its a bigger club than it is, or that even Bristol is such a massive place..........but then again Ive always thought that many city fans had notions of granduer, which of course leads to massivey inflated expectations, and demands of promotion to the premier league every year.

I agree with the post that says we are about 12th biggest, so lets have some perspective when winging about Gary Johnson that anything above is a bonus.

Great post.

Guest ashtonyate

The only small thing about City is in our minds and our mentality what about Wigan or Bolton we beat them in the LDV final a few years ago.

Guest ashtonyate
They're the phrases that come immediately before the question marks in my initial post.

Right then over the years they have had better our fan have been fed on may bees its just a blip for them they will be back in the prem before us that's a certain

Wake up and smell the coffee we as fans deserve better stop think second best is Ok.

We are not accepting 2nd best. We are a small club with ambition. We're punching above our weight and competing with clubs who are alot richer than ourselves.... only 3 other clubs in the top half have not played in the prem...

People like you need a reality check. Our club, going on attendances and history are a lower championship side at best. But we have a terrific manager who is striving for promotion....

Once we get promoted to the big time and have been there a few seasons, maybe we can ourselves a big club... but not at the moment.....

Guest ashtonyate
We are not accepting 2nd best. We are a small club with ambition. We're punching above our weight and competing with clubs who are alot richer than ourselves.... only 3 other clubs in the top half have not played in the prem...

People like you need a reality check. Our club, going on attendances and history are a lower championship side at best. But we have a terrific manager who is striving for promotion....

Once we get promoted to the big time and have been there a few seasons, maybe we can ourselves a big club... but not at the moment.....

I am not saying we are a big club I am saying we should be a big club given all the advantages we have.

I am not saying we are a big club I am saying we should be a big club given all the advantages we have.

And what are they mr yate?

We have low attendances and we havent had any prem money. The income we've had has been from league one and the championship...

We have a big catchment area yes, but this may only benefit us, once we are in the prem....

So, what advantages do we have mr yate.

Guest ashtonyate
And what are they mr yate?

We have low attendances and we havent had any prem money. The income we've had has been from league one and the championship...

We have a big catchment area yes, but this may only benefit us, once we are in the prem....

So, what advantages do we have mr yate.

but why is that, having a large catchment area is the biggest advantage to have.

The season we came up the crowds started coming but a lot since have been put off by the Managers tactics they want to be entertained not this boring football we are seeing its killing off the support .

but a lot since have been put off by the Managers tactics

really? how do you know this?

Our attendances went up slightly for a while and there can be many reasons why the went down again.....

One realistic one is that some got season tickets thinking that we'd get promoted.

Or more likely the recession - alot of people cannot afford the 'luxury' of going to football....

Guest ashtonyate
really? how do you know this?

Our attendances went up slightly for a while and there can be many reasons why the went down again.....

One realistic one is that some got season tickets thinking that we'd get promoted.

Or more likely the recession - alot of people cannot afford the 'luxury' of going to football....

Some can't afford it , but a lot don't think its value for money and picking there games.

The ones who pick there games are the ones who can very easily stop going altogether

Some can't afford it , but a lot don't think its value for money and picking there games.

The ones who pick there games are the ones who can very easily stop going altogether

But what makes you think that a large proportion have stop going because of the managers tactics?

Guest ashtonyate
But what makes you think that a large proportion have stop going because of the managers tactics?

I could ask the same what makes you think a lot stop going because of the recession

I could ask the same what makes you think a lot stop going because of the recession

Well, based on facts... During the worst of the recession alot of businesses went to the wall and alot of people have lost there jobs.... including bristol.....

If the people of bristol have no money (or less) then it makes sense that the attendances are hit.

but why is that, having a large catchment area is the biggest advantage to have.

The season we came up the crowds started coming but a lot since have been put off by the Managers tactics they want to be entertained not this boring football we are seeing its killing off the support .

Killing oof the support? Our gates now are double that of those in 96, and 1/3 again of the average under Wilson.

So how is out support being "killed off"?

When was the last time we played attractive football on a weekly basis?

This entertainment nonsense is normally spouted by those that cant remember the times under Osman, Pulis and even Wilson.

It's a sad reflection of modern football that thousands of people will go to football and compare it to "entertainment". It's a sport, not a day at the theater.

Bloke came up to me t'other day in the supermarket (out here in the sticks :laugh:) and wondered who my shirt was for.

When he read the logo he said 'good lad' but it's like.....sheesh..

I have been accused of being a Leyton Orient fan more times than I can remember in Essex.

Unfamiliar red shirt = must be local club!

Guest ashtonyate
Well, based on facts... During the worst of the recession alot of businesses went to the wall and alot of people have lost there jobs.... including bristol.....

If the people of bristol have no money (or less) then it makes sense that the attendances are hit.

Ok so 2000 season tickets all got made redundant nothing to do with the football we played

Ok so 2000 season tickets all got made redundant nothing to do with the football we played

Like I said earlier..... recession and no prem football as some of the new ST were hoping for.

Of course, a small percentage may have stop going due to the managers tactics - but they wont be missed. All teams have average seasons... If they have that mindset, there not going to be happy with any city manager.

Guest ashtonyate
Glad you've seen sense. Nearly 10% of the nation is unemployed.

Cant believe people think we are a big or medium sized club when we only have about 15,000 fans.

the question is why with all the advantages we have we are still a small club if football was franchised and a new club came to the area it would have crowds flocking to it the truth with city & rovers is they are past masters of raising expectations and not delivering that why you see kid in Man U & Chelsky Liverpool shirts because they are successfully sides

Guest ashtonyate
Like I said earlier..... recession and no prem football as some of the new ST were hoping for.

Of course, a small percentage may have stop going due to the managers tactics - but they wont be missed. All teams have average seasons... If they have that mindset, there not going to be happy with any city manager.

but they wont be missed.

What extraordinary statement to make tell that to SL

the question is why with all the advantages we have we are still a small club if football was franchised and a new club came to the area it would have crowds flocking to it the truth with city & rovers is they are past masters of raising expectations and not delivering that why you see kid in Man U & Chelsky Liverpool shirts because they are successfully sides

That's true of nearly every town and city in England.

What are all the advantages?

I'll start your list for you and you finish it off:

1. Bristol has a lot of people living in it.

2. ........

Archived