IGNORED

'big' Clubs

gater2

but they wont be missed.

What extraordinary statement to make tell that to SL

How will they be missed. Die hard supporters who support the team/club regardless will be missed.

These "supporters" will only turn up until they feel there not being entertained? cant see these supporters spending much money on city, especially in the long term, so wont be worth much £ to city.

Guest ashtonyate
That's true of nearly every town and city in England.

Not to the extent of bristol its a indictment of our City on Yate shopping centre its embarrassing to see so many other teams shirts

Guest ashtonyate
How will they be missed. Die hard supporters who support the team/club regardless will be missed.

These "supporters" will only turn up until they feel there not being entertained? cant see these supporters spending much money on city, especially in the long term, so wont be worth much £ to city.

word fail me unbleavable

Not to the extent of bristol its a indictment of our City on Yate shopping centre its embarrassing to see so many other teams shirts

Without wanting to make you look more stupid than normal, Southampton gates are not much better than ours over the years apart from in the 80's and when they first moved to St Marys. Like Bristol, it has a metropolitan area of around 1 million people.

Bradford is another, and it's support is far worse than ours through history.

People mention Bolton a lot, and when in the top divistion, their support is 10k more than ours.

Guest ashtonyate
Without wanting to make you look more stupid than normal, Southampton gates are not much better than ours over the years apart from in the 80's and when they first moved to St Marys. Like Bristol, it has a metropolitan area of around 1 million people.

Bradford is another, and it's support is far worse than ours through history.

People mention Bolton a lot, and when in the top divistion, their support is 10k more than ours.

I think you are making yourself a fool Soton have had a bit better gates than us but look at the records of the 2 club there is no reason we could not have had the success they have had.

I think you are making yourself a fool Soton have had a bit better gates than us but look at the records of the 2 club there is no reason we could not have had the success they have had.

Yes and thats what we are currently working towards... whats the problem...

No one is debating the on field record. You claimed that poor support and man u shirts was a Bristol thing given e size of the catchment area, I've proven it's not.

There's also other factors, like Rugby, two clubs, Bristolian apathy and the downs league that can also be taken into account.

Our highest average attendance was in 1956, 26k.

In the top tier, 23k watched games.

It's been 30 years since our average has been over 20k.

I used to laugh my head off when they announced the crowds in the old 1st division days - I reckon it was regularly undercooked by 3-5k !

They couldn't lie when Liverpool or Man U came to town because it was clearly a sell out but I honestly reckon we actually got rather more than 23k through the turnstiles back then.

Guest ashtonyate
No one is debating the on field record. You claimed that poor support and man u shirts was a Bristol thing given e size of the catchment area, I've proven it's not.

There's also other factors, like Rugby, two clubs, Bristolian apathy and the downs league that can also be taken into account.

I am saying that a city the size of bristol you should see a lot more City/Rovers shirts being worn but they are not because of the lack of success and apathy is bred by years of underachieving.

Guest ashtonyate
It's going to take generations for City to become a BIG club, reason being Bristol is not a football hotbed like the many other areas of the country.

We need continued years of relative success to gradually build the fan base over time, but i fell the club is moving in the right direction here.

For me the next step is the new stadium, this will increase the average gate by several thousand IMO. This will pull more support in from the surrounding area, and if we can get promoted then I see no reason why we can't sell out for most games in the first season.

I remember reading in one of the stadium reports that City predicts an average crowd of 23k when we move to the new stadium.

We can't fill a 19,000 stadium if Johnson does not start to play more entertain football it will be down to 12,000 next season

We can't fill a 19,000 stadium if Johnson does not start to play more entertain football it will be down to 12,000 next season

Nonsense.

Anyway...

What are all the advantages?

I'll start your list for you and you finish it off:

1. Bristol has a lot of people living in it.

2. ........

P.S. This is a question.

I am saying that a city the size of bristol you should see a lot more City/Rovers shirts being worn but they are not because of the lack of success and apathy is bred by years of underachieving.

But now we're not underachieving the apathy is still there.

We near enough sell out the home areas each week. City can't help poor away support. Indeed our support is comparible to a lot of sides at this level, even with very high prices.

Guest ashtonyate
But now we're not underachieving the apathy is still there.

We near enough sell out the home areas each week. City can't help poor away support. Indeed our support is comparible to a lot of sides at this level, even with very high prices.

well this season we are 6,000 under what the ground could hold,just over 14,000 for midbro last home game we had a cheap ticket deal.

any new person coming to watch City would soon stop just over one goal a game its crap.

Maybe people get size and potential mixed up. We certainly, have the potential to be big, but it seems to me our long history of relative failure has ensured we don't have the support we could.

I imagine if we'd one a few more cups and had a few runs in Europe in the last 20 years, we'd probably be talking about regular 20,000 attendances.

Unfortunately, (in our case) it aint all down to size of your city. I mean Ipswich? How the hell? Why? Alf Ramsey and Bobby Robson! Does it just come down to how well the club is run or maybe even luck?

well this season we are 6,000 under what the ground could hold,just over 14,000 for midbro last home game we had a cheap ticket deal.

any new person coming to watch City would soon stop just over one goal a game its crap.

You don't even know what the ground can hold do you.

The Middlesbrough attendance, but then it goes back to apathy, as up untill then we'd lost one game.

What have new people got to do with it? A minute ago you said we were losing fans, now you're saying new fans are turning up?

Guest ashtonyate
I agree only in part.

I do feel that the home performance\tactics need to be a bit more positive now. I could understand GJ wanting to keep things tight and narrow in our first two seasons to protect the back four, but now we have some really good players on the books and I would like to see us being a bit for adventurous at home.

However I don't agree that our home gates will fall to 12k next season.

Like I said the club is moving in the right direction, we are taking one step at a time. But by finishing in the play off two years ago it effectively meant we took two steps forward with the average crowds etc, so now we have taken a step back this season when compared to last seasons gates, but IMO we are still in credit!

What I'm basically saying is last season was a blip because a large proportion of fans bought ST based on us getting promoted, before anyone shoots me down take note that I said a large proportion, NOT ALL!

There are other reasons why some fans are staying away.

Money

Away support being lower

people losing their jobs

Money

Away support being lower

people losing their jobs

poor entertainment value

that better

I think the Club has moved in the right direction, but now have staled over the next few months we will either start to clime or crash and at the moment i am not sure which

Guest ashtonyate
You don't even know what the ground can hold do you.

The Middlesbrough attendance, but then it goes back to apathy, as up untill then we'd lost one game.

What have new people got to do with it? A minute ago you said we were losing fans, now you're saying new fans are turning up?

the club site says just under 21,500 ,we may have only lost one game but the style was the same.

Money

Away support being lower

people losing their jobs

poor entertainment value

that better

I think the Club has moved in the right direction, but now have staled over the next few months we will either start to clime or crash and at the moment i am not sure which

But you ALWAYS think that we are going to crash. I can remember when we came up, you said we'd struggle.

I think we'll either climb or stay around mid-table..... and thats very good for our club (at this moment in time)

Guest ashtonyate
But you ALWAYS think that we are going to crash. I can remember when we came up, you said we'd struggle.

I think we'll either climb or stay around mid-table..... and thats very good for our club (at this moment in time)

when we came up the football was no better but we had the luck

if thing go wrong in the next two games we could be in the bottom half of the table

when we came up the football was no better but we had the luck

if thing go wrong in the next two games we could be in the bottom half of the table

Ah yes, but thats what your always expecting....

But we've only dropped down to the bottom half once..... briefly

Nonsense.

Anyway...

What are all the advantages?

I'll start your list for you and you finish it off:

1. Bristol has a lot of people living in it.

2. ........

P.S. This is a question.

I thought if I reposted this, it may get an answer. That was apparently the problem last time I asked a question.

Archived