IGNORED

Patrick Agyemang Signs

JMBCFC

Strongest team ??

IMO

...........................Gerken..........................

Orr...........Carey...........Nytanga.......Mcalister

Haynes.........Sno...............Hartly..........JCR

...........Agyemang.........Maynard................

Subs:

Haynes

Clarkson

Elliot

Sproule

Fontain

What does everyone else think ??

Please dont attack me if I am completely wrong with this ha ha

As ever I will wait until I see Agyemang a few times in a City shirt before passing judgement. I would guess that he will do a job in the short term. Surely this is a sign that Saborio does not have much of a future here. The only issue I have is that I hope Big John is not left to rot in what we have of a reserve team. I would still like to see this lad given time on the pitch because in the medium to long term I reckon he has more to offer us than the likes of Saborio and Agyemang.

When Adebola left there were those who thought we were well rid, dismissing him as a 'lump' and citing his presence as the main reason we (allegedly) played 'hoofball'. I felt at the time that we would miss him badly and took the same view regarding his departure as I did that of McIndoe.

I've said before that Dele was, in fact, a far more accomplished footballer than many gave him credit for - not only a very powerful man and a huge physical presence, but experienced, deceptively quicker over the ground and better with the ball at his feet than one would expect of such a big guy, and quite a composed finisher as well. His scoring record was perfectly respectable for a target man. As for McIndoe, whatever his shortcomings, he was one of the fittest, most hard-grafting players I've seen at AG and he got through a prodigious amount of work during a game.

It was inevitable that these qualities would be missed and I felt that neither should be allowed to leave, if it could be avoided, unless we were certain that we had ready replacements lined up. They were, and we didn't. We've lacked muscle up front and width ever since and now here we are six months later signing JCR and Angyemang, having played half the season without their predecessors and struggled because of the all too obvious gaps their absence has created.

Dele, according to most reports, wanted to stay and, in the absence of an equally good, like-for-like replacement, I would have unhesitatingly given him his 2 year contract, even in the knowledge that he might play in only half of all games or less in his final year. Angyemang can be a handful and I wouldn't make any negative comment about his signing until we've seen enough of him to judge, but would only say that he'll have to do very well to equal, let alone surpass, the contribution that Dele made in a relatively short time. The McIndoe saga is more complicated and it may be that he wanted away and nothing could be done about it, but again I think there were many who though him no great loss: sometimes you don't appreciate what you've got until it's gone.

I hope these two guys cut the mustard, because we've sure as hell been coming up short in the positions they've been brought in to fill.

Here, here, mate

Agyemang may be a lump (and we may need a lump if we can't pass the ball along the ground to our now proven striker Maynard)(and I'm telling you those QPR w++++++s were well jealous of us having Nicky, when I spoke to a group of them coming back from an away game)

but has Agyemang got Dele's heart (and massive legs) do defenders slide down off him like they've been hit by a truck as he runs on to score a class goal (cast your mind back to us coming back from 2 nil down against Wolves at Ashton Gate)

(Dele scores one and cleverly/selflessly lays one off for Maynard)

Bloody mindedness by the powers that be at Ashton Gate again. Dele wants another year. He's a naughty boy. Off

Is Agyemang costing us less than what Dele asked for?

John Akinde must be feeling the sickest boy in the football league

Ta for the opinions.

To be perfectly honest I think it would be impossible for QPR to get a decent impression of what a player is capable of with the manager being changed hourly - it doesn't let players settle down and produce and each individual performs at far less than their best.

I can't claim I'm overjoyed by this, mainly because we're already overstaffed in the striker department and desperately need a left winger and full back, but I doubt he is anywhere near as bad as he's looked at QPR.

I agree with Alex that it looks like the writing is on the wall for Saborio - and possibly Clarkson too. I would presume this means Akinde will be let out on loan again as well?

I hope there's some left in the ever increasing pot of debt for a player we actually need.

to be honest, I think this is a decent signing, and one that is needed. Quick, strong, experienced Championship campaigner...he could well have a similar effect as what Dele did (hopefully not the same as Stern)

Seriously though, Soborio isnt good enough, end of story, Clarkson for whatever reason, just doesnt ever look match fit when he plays, Haynes is still extremely raw, and Maynard is certainly taking his time finding his feet at Championship level, all be it, he is slowly getting there. Akinde is going to be an important player, and yes I would like to see the lad given more of a chance, I think its a big ask to expect him to come in and lead the line.

Two positive signings by Gary so far, both experienced at this level.....I would love to see a new centre half come in now, maybe even a left back (John Harley).

SO far, so good I say

Getting fed up of apparent idiots slating Saborio, he is a proven International who oozes class and intelligence (something possessed by only a few of our squad namely Hartley and Skuse).

I dont think i have seen him go for a header that he hasnt won and virtually every header he makes is flicked in behind the opposition defence, it is more Maynard/Haynes lack of willing to make the gambling runs in behind the defences that are behind your willing to offload Saborio (as confirmed by GJ's comments regarding "a few players" who could learn from Chopra's intelligence to read the game.)

Instead of slating a striker who gives 100% during his brief oppurtunities in the 1st team maybe attention should be turned to why his assets arn't being utilised as they should be, Ok he isnt going to set the world alight Ronaldo style but he is a team player - Maynard and Haynes have gas to burn but the last time i saw either one of them actually make a dangerous run in behind an opposition defence we scored from it (Maynard vs Boro, Haynes vs Barnsely resulting in a penalty)

I accept that these are only my personal views but if you really think about it he should not be ridiculed and ditched by 'fans' simply for his lack of goals - i think you'll find that Agyemang is a similar style of player, willing to come deep and do the dirty work that others dont want to (or arn't able to) whether that be winning headers and flick ons or holding the ball up tp enable our undoubtably talented pace kings the time and space they need.

Rant over....

Agree with that I think Alvero needs to be given more time and actually have a run of games I often think this is GJ big fall down he never really gives strikers that much time, he has with Nicky and we are seeing the benefit and the same with Haynes I reckon.

Games bread confidence.

I dont think i have seen him go for a header that he hasnt won and virtually every header he makes is flicked in behind the opposition defence, it is more Maynard/Haynes lack of willing to make the gambling runs in behind the defences that are behind your willing to offload Saborio (as confirmed by GJ's comments regarding "a few players" who could learn from Chopra's intelligence to read the game.)

Spot on.  I think however, Saborio's lost a bit of confidence and isn't being as proactive as he used to be.

If  Agyemang can score 8 goals for us this season, we'll be laughing.  More likely he'll score 2 and be the source of endless contention on OTIB. ;)

GJ seems to see him as a replacement for Adebola.

For me, Sno's more needed than Skuse, and maybe Skuse is more needed than Agyemand/Saborio/Clarkson.  So I wouldn't be surprised to see us playing the same 4-3-3 we played at Leicester.

Yet more strikers? Maynard, Haynes, Saborio, Clarkson, Akinde and now Agyemang? I personaly think Clarkson, Saborio and Akinde need more time to settle.. Last season GJ brought in Stern John and after the first few games it was blindingly obvious to all that he was here for nothing more than the wages but he played week in week out. Why cant Johnson show that much faith in the other strikers? The only reason he gave Maynard a chance was because we payed 2.25 million for him!

Spot on. I think however, Saborio's lost a bit of confidence and isn't being as proactive as he used to be.

Thats my point exactly and i doubt there is a person on here reading this that isnt already bored to death of the phrase "players need time to shine" especially strikers! But its completely true!

Admittedly in a league as close as this one is turning out to be instant impact is neccessary to make significant progress up the table faith in the ability of players by Managers and giving unproven players their chance to shine has payed dividends - take Forest for example, ok now they are serious automatic promotion contenders but if you look at the first 5-10 games of this season they were as inconsistent as any team dropping unexpected points everywhere, their manager took unbelievable stick for holding confidence in his young talents week in week out but look where they are now with that confidence repayed, goals from all over the pitch and the mixture of youth and experience is tearing top teams apart (West Brom).

Its all very well buying another striker with the reasoning "he'll provide good competition for our other strikers", but completely pointless if the other strikers arn't given a fair crack at the whip, as i said before im fed up of people criticising Saborio when they havnt seen him play a full 90 minutes but i also feel extremely sorry for big John Akinde - he showed at the start of the season against Palace and again last Tuesday against Cardiff that he is willing to run himself into the ground to prove himself but no doubt with the signings of JCR and Agyemang both set to make debuts tomorrow night he will once again be left watching from the stands. As with most strikers he is a confidence player and although he is young and im sure has been given assurances of his future by GJ he is only going to become disheartened after putting in strong performaces only to be left in the stands/shipped out on loan with the rest of our Youth Academy.

Thats my point exactly and i doubt there is a person on here reading this that isnt already bored to death of the phrase "players need time to shine" especially strikers! But its completely true!

Admittedly in a league as close as this one is turning out to be instant impact is neccessary to make significant progress up the table faith in the ability of players by Managers and giving unproven players their chance to shine has payed dividends - take Forest for example, ok now they are serious automatic promotion contenders but if you look at the first 5-10 games of this season they were as inconsistent as any team dropping unexpected points everywhere, their manager took unbelievable stick for holding confidence in his young talents week in week out but look where they are now with that confidence repayed, goals from all over the pitch and the mixture of youth and experience is tearing top teams apart (West Brom).

Its all very well buying another striker with the reasoning "he'll provide good competition for our other strikers", but completely pointless if the other strikers arn't given a fair crack at the whip, as i said before im fed up of people criticising Saborio when they havnt seen him play a full 90 minutes but i also feel extremely sorry for big John Akinde - he showed at the start of the season against Palace and again last Tuesday against Cardiff that he is willing to run himself into the ground to prove himself but no doubt with the signings of JCR and Agyemang both set to make debuts tomorrow night he will once again be left watching from the stands. As with most strikers he is a confidence player and although he is young and im sure has been given assurances of his future by GJ he is only going to become disheartened after putting in strong performaces only to be left in the stands/shipped out on loan with the rest of our Youth Academy.

Edward Ofere, Malmö FF, would have been a better signing. Probably signed by Newcastle this week.

Strongest team ??

IMO

...........................Gerken..........................

Orr...........Carey...........Nytanga.......Mcalister

Haynes.........Sno...............Hartly..........JCR

...........Agyemang.........Maynard................

Subs:

Haynes

Clarkson

Elliot

Sproule

Fontain

What does everyone else think ??

Please dont attack me if I am completely wrong with this ha ha

Haynes on the right and the bench eh!! :laugh:... You must have meant Skuse on the bench.

On a personal note I'd actually Skuse at right back.. He's done it befor, and imo is actually more effective than Orr.

I agree with the basis of the team but I think it's a toss up for the right wing position. I'd start with Sproule.

I see him as someone who will will balls in the air and hold the ball up, not score many goals. But hopfully will help maynard in scoring more and bring more of the midfiled into scoring postitions. a good temp signing to help push us for the playoffs then send him back and replace him with someone better next season.

I heard we were looking at him a couple of weeks ago from a mate of mine who supports QPR, I just hope this guy hasnt been brought in as a replacement for someone... Maynard to Villa anyone???

I did hear we were looking at Fitz Hall as well.. tumbleweed.gif

winner_third_h4h.gif I'm not kidding you - every single QPR season ticket holder would gladly take a days unpaid leave to drive fitz hall to whichever club is stupid enough to take him. Absolute, total and utter pony.

Archived