IGNORED

Best City Goal Ever

There is a goal that John Atyeo scored in an FA cup replay against Aston Villa at Villa Park that is steeped in mystique and history as being one of the if not the best ever goal scored by a BCFC player.

I was'nt there but if memory serves it was either late 50's or very early 60's and I think City lost 2-1. I have heard several older City fans talk of it and in our first division days I was at Villa Park with my dad and an old Villa fan came over and described the goal and pointed out which end it was scored saying it was probably the best goal he had ever seen in his life and that older Villa fans who witnessed it still talked about it.

I have tried unsuccessfully to find a link to a newspaper report of the time.

For skill alone, Maynards goal at Loftus Road this season?

I tend to agree.

Best goal I have seen.

But to underline it, I had taken the old man up there on boxing day and he's a hard critic (aren't all City fans 50+ inclined that way??)

He came out with "I think that is one of the best goals I've seen a City player score" - this from a fella who first went down there in 1954.

Bit more weight behind that comment that my relative short time since 1990.

I loved that goal of Scott Murray's against Oldham where he picked the ball up just outside our penalty area and weaved his was past the whole of their team before slotting it past the keeper...absolute quality.

For just a pure magic moment alone, nobody will do better that Scott Murray scoring and running down their wing doing the Ayatollah.

That for me was one of the best moments away from home I have witnessed.

A Cheesley header for me.

Not the one against the arse on the opening game of the season in the old div 1, but against another team (can't remember who) but headed from the far corner of the penalty area and went past the keeper harder than many shots into the top corner of the net.

never seen a header like it since.

Gillies at leeds also memorable.

There is a goal that John Atyeo scored in an FA cup replay against Aston Villa at Villa Park that is steeped in mystique and history as being one of the if not the best ever goal scored by a BCFC player.

I was'nt there but if memory serves it was either late 50's or very early 60's and I think City lost 2-1. I have heard several older City fans talk of it and in our first division days I was at Villa Park with my dad and an old Villa fan came over and described the goal and pointed out which end it was scored saying it was probably the best goal he had ever seen in his life and that older Villa fans who witnessed it still talked about it.

I would love to see footage of that.

Meanwhile, you can see the great man in action and scoring for England on these Newsreels.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=39774

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=40443

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=38876

Quoting from images of sport by Tom Hopegood "Aston Villa v. Bristol City, 1956/57. John Atyeo scores the goal he rated as the best he ever netted as injury-hit City succumbed to a 1-2 FA Cup defeat in front of a 63,099 Villa Park crowd on 16th February 1957. This picture (of Big John scoring) graced the front cover of City's programme throughout the 1957/58 and 1958/59 seasons". Villa eventually won the Cup that year.

Even I was too young to remember that one but I was lucky enough to see Ivan Testimetanu score away at Chesterfield.

Nicky Maynard at QPR must be right up there though.

not a blockbuster by any stretch, but Louie Donnowa in the 89th minute against the Gas, it was the first time in ages we had beaten them.

So much so that a badge was produced to state that "I was there".

Seemed to coincide with the parting of the ways with us on the up.

not a blockbuster by any stretch, but Louie Donnowa in the 89th minute against the Gas, it was the first time in ages we had beaten them.

So much so that a badge was produced to state that "I was there".

Seemed to coincide with the parting of the ways with us on the up.

And all after skelator missed a penalty. What a night that was.

John Bailey away at Crewe in the Joe Jordan promotion season,

40 yards, still rising when it hit the net !!!

OOH yeah, that was a cracker! I'd forgotten about that one. :chant6ez:

Also... same season - Bob Taylor's second of 2 in a minute in the 5-0 win at the Vetch Field. Stunning volley from miles out! Ended up with a hat-trick if I remember correctly. :winner_third_h4h:

A Cheesley header for me.

Not the one against the arse on the opening game of the season in the old div 1, but against another team (can't remember who) but headed from the far corner of the penalty area and went past the keeper harder than many shots into the top corner of the net.

never seen a header like it since.

Gillies at leeds also memorable.

Blimey someone who is as old and has seen as much as me....For Everyone's information it was against Carlisle in a 2-0 home winworship2.gif

Mickey Bell's first and then identical second vs Cambridge a fair few years back - 30 yards, nestles in top corner, perez no chance

against the same opposition at AG, perez just be sent off, free kick outside the box, peacock flicks it up to Tins who planted it in the bottom corner (think we won that game 6-1?)

good times

Archived