IGNORED

Richard Latham

Coach

"Tuesday's annual photocall and press gathering ..... not so friendly was the atmosphere inside the ground when, after waiting the best part of an hour to interview Coppell, the assembled ranks of press, radio and tv reporters were told that he had driven off on a scouting mission.

Assistant Keith Millen was trotted out as stand-in, a substitution which did not meet with the approval of journalists, particularly those from National newspapers, and tv crews, some of whom had travelled long distances.

It was the first time I have ever known a City manager leave a pre-season photo shoot without doing a single interview and it came as something of a shock.

We knew dealing with the media wasn't high on Coppell's list of priorities, but this was still an extraordinary manoeuvre. It made me wonder how happily the former Manchester United and England player has settled in at Ashton Gate."

And his leading paragraph in the match report:

"Why have City invested so heavily in a goalkeeper when so many other areas of the team need strengthening?"

I must admit I've been worried a little as to whether Coppell has really enjoyed any of his time here. Nothing I can really put my finger on but just a feeling from watching all his interviews. Hopefully it's just a case me of not knowing his personality. As for James, I was also a little worried that he was kind of forced on Coppell by Lansdown. SL did say Coppell agreed to it when it was put to him but he's arguably not going to put the dampeners on something which would've excited his new boss so soon after being appointed by him.

Please let us get some wins under our belt and some injured players back again, I still shudder at the losing streak that Johnson went through so soon after taking over .....

"Tuesday's annual photocall and press gathering ..... not so friendly was the atmosphere inside the ground when, after waiting the best part of an hour to interview Coppell, the assembled ranks of press, radio and tv reporters were told that he had driven off on a scouting mission.

Assistant Keith Millen was trotted out as stand-in, a substitution which did not meet with the approval of journalists, particularly those from National newspapers, and tv crews, some of whom had travelled long distances.

It was the first time I have ever known a City manager leave a pre-season photo shoot without doing a single interview and it came as something of a shock.

We knew dealing with the media wasn't high on Coppell's list of priorities, but this was still an extraordinary manoeuvre. It made me wonder how happily the former Manchester United and England player has settled in at Ashton Gate."

And his leading paragraph in the match report:

"Why have City invested so heavily in a goalkeeper when so many other areas of the team need strengthening?"

I must admit I've been worried a little as to whether Coppell has really enjoyed any of his time here. Nothing I can really put my finger on but just a feeling from watching all his interviews. Hopefully it's just a case me of not knowing his personality. As for James, I was also a little worried that he was kind of forced on Coppell by Lansdown. SL did say Coppell agreed to it when it was put to him but he's arguably not going to put the dampeners on something which would've excited his new boss so soon after being appointed by him.

Please let us get some wins under our belt and some injured players back again, I still shudder at the losing streak that Johnson went through so soon after taking over .....

Really good post. This is something that has been on my mind as well. Coppell seems to be an insecure kind of guy and I wonder how confident he is in his own ability, hence only wanting a one year rolling contract. He obviously has the know how to get teams promoted but I hope that this ability isn't dependent on the amount of change to a team he has to make (and we want a lot), having his own people around him and feeling comfortable where he is. Time will tell. Yesterday must have been a real reality check.

That's what I have heard as well, a work colleague of mine in our office has a dad who is pretty well involved with Palace, particularly from Coppell days.

He said he is not a media-friendly bloke, never has been and is just that sort of fella - he is quiet, reserved but very determined and most importantly, a very very good football manager.

If you're after the Johnson/Big Ron media quotes etc etc we have the wrong man.

I wouldn't take much notice of hack who has obviously taken umbrage to Coppells apparent indifference to the press. He probably sees it a slight against his profession. Latham thinks that 'out of his depth' John Ward was a great City manager simply because he was so amiable towards the press.

Personally I'm impressed that Steve Coppell went off on an scouting mission, which is far more important that sitting in front of mostly local hacks replying to pretty much the same questions he's been asked before. SC got his priorities right imo.

Well done Steve Coppell.

Firstly SL was the man who hired Marcus Stewart, so there is a history. Then again its a rich mans perogative to buy some toys. Then there is the Portsmouth forum that says James is on 8k to 10k per week, supported by a City fan who says we have a 10k wage cap. Then both James and SC are only on 12 month contracts. James and SC may well have recieved a handsome signing on fee, however large sums of money have so far not been mentioned in the media.

If SC does an early exit as he did with Man City, we always have come back Milly to call on.

When Coppell was first mentioned, I asked a very relevant question. Would he live in Bristol or try and commute from London. Now in his 50's that sort of travel can get very old in a hurry. I made the point then and now that I hope he's living in Bristol, at least for his 1 year contract. Hartley found it hard with a weekly trip North and unless SL loans SC his plane for London visitations, it will be a tiresome monotonous drive week after week.

I live in Wimbledon and travel to Downend every other weekend for our home games and to see the folks etc.

It really ain't that bad.

Door to door from my place to my parents' place off the Badminton Rd its less than 2 hours.

A3, M25, M4, M32 boom. It ain't much of a commute mate. Coppell's commute from further down the M4 is even less.

Now Hartley doing Bristol - Scotland was absurd.

At the end of the day I think Steve Coppell is just a very quiet unnassuming man, lets face it he is probably the first City manage I know who didn't come out of the tunnel to a rapturous applause yesterday, most love that first game feeling when all the crowd are behind them, I know as a fan if I'd ever been placed in charge of BCFC I'd crave that sort of thing.

He will just quietly go about his business, although do wonder if he's be more comfortable if he had Wally Downes as his number 2, please dont take this as me knocking KM, far from it he steadied a sinking ship last season no question, however it's a new management now and it;s to be expected that managers feel more at ease working with staff that they know and are comfortable with

He will just quietly go about his business, although do wonder if he's be more comfortable if he had Wally Downes as his number 2, please dont take this as me knocking KM, far from it he steadied a sinking ship last season no question, however it's a new management now and it;s to be expected that managers feel more at ease working with staff that they know and are comfortable with

I heard though from my Palace mate that Coppell has always got on really well with KM's old man Derrick who is still involved with CPFC in the youth set up.

Millen, out of near on any other new assistant, will be probably one person Coppell has met before and can at least relate to his old man?

Steve coppell is a quiet reserved individual and thankfully he's never going to be a 'neil warnock' type of manager. I'd question him prioritising a non urgent press conference over the urgency of pulling together his squad. Look at any change management model or theory and you'll invariably move backward before you go forwards. Yesterday was just the absolute realisation of how much change is needed and the length of time it will take. No room for unsettling rumours at this stage.

I heard though from my Palace mate that Coppell has always got on really well with KM's old man Derrick who is still involved with CPFC in the youth set up.

Millen, out of near on any other new assistant, will be probably one person Coppell has met before and can at least relate to his old man?

Maybe so, of course on the other hand he may be perfectly happy, after all he barely celebrated when taking Reading into the Premier League

I'm currently reading his biography. SC isn't from a standard football background as we all know. He was a Man U star whilst a part time student. He's got a brain and a sense of perspective. I read all his comments to date as coming from a highly experienced manager who knows his job and knows exactly what the task ahead of him is. He's said that he's had the worst pre-season in his career....doesn't surprise me that scouting was more important than a press conference.

Richard Latham has done very well to continue to make a living writing about City. He's seen it all and his perspective is interesting...but he's not encountered a manager like SC at the Gate

Maybe so, of course on the other hand he may be perfectly happy, after all he barely celebrated when taking Reading into the Premier League

Yep I reckon that's it to be honest, he's just that sort of fella.

I mean Dowie kicks every ball and jumps up in the air in celebration etc whereas can anyone say Arsene Wenger looks happy at any point?

Question who would you want? Dowie or Wenger? :whistle2:

Yep I reckon that's it to be honest, he's just that sort of fella.

I mean Dowie kicks every ball and jumps up in the air in celebration etc whereas can anyone say Arsene Wenger looks happy at any point?

Question who would you want? Dowie or Wenger? :whistle2:

Agreed it will probably take a while for the fans to get used to it aswell, I think as a club we will benefit from that sort of modesty going forward

Point me to a manager Latham has liked? Oh yes his best mate John Ward.

Bitter, Twisted, Draconian.

No wonder he was packed off out of the club years back.

I can't remember the last decent non bias article that Latham wrote. He is a very poor hack. Wants the story to come to him and throws his toys out of the pram when this doesn't happen.

Much prefer sc style of management rather than the bull that used to come from the previous managers mouth sometimes.

What's more important, speaking to a bunch of hacks or trying to fix a broken squad? Least he ain't sending his brother to eastern Europe on a jolly.

At the end of the day I think Steve Coppell is just a very quiet unnassuming man, lets face it he is probably the first City manage I know who didn't come out of the tunnel to a rapturous applause yesterday, most love that first game feeling when all the crowd are behind them, I know as a fan if I'd ever been placed in charge of BCFC I'd crave that sort of thing.

See my post on this very point:

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/129183-coppell-without-downes-is-like-clough-without-taylor/

I wouldn't take much notice of hack who has obviously taken umbrage to Coppells apparent indifference to the press. He probably sees it a slight against his profession. Latham thinks that 'out of his depth' John Ward was a great City manager simply because he was so amiable towards the press.

Seriously, Latham had his nose put out of joint, over the whole John Ward thing and has been bitter n twisted since. He should write for the parish pump it would have more readers.

Point me to a manager Latham has liked? Oh yes his best mate John Ward.

Bitter, Twisted, Draconian.

No wonder he was packed off out of the club years back.

I can't remember the last decent non bias article that Latham wrote. He is a very poor hack. Wants the story to come to him and throws his toys out of the pram when this doesn't happen.

All spot on.

It is amazing how Latham has continued to make a career out of writing about City considering the amont of bitter, agenda-driven bile he has spouted ever sine Ward left.

As people have said, I'd much rather Coppell was off scouting players and working on improving the side than answering the same tedious questions of local "journalists" all the time.

Seriously, Latham had his nose put out of joint, over the whole John Ward thing and has been bitter n twisted since. He should write for the parish pump it would have more readers.

Don't buy the "pasty" any more since I got fed up with Latham's totally bitter, downbeat scribblings really started to grate with me. The bloke is a knob of the highest water!

He even makes Schlockhousen look like a "happy clapper".

Must admit at the time I thought SC wasn't that bothered about the James signing and it was all SL's doing.

However, I'm still right behind the new manager and have every faith in him, just wish he would lighten up a bit and look like he was enjoying the job just a wee bit more. The players will be looking to the gaffer for confidence and any other vibes he gives off.

Must admit at the time I thought SC wasn't that bothered about the James signing and it was all SL's doing.

However, I'm still right behind the new manager and have every faith in him, just wish he would lighten up a bit and look like he was enjoying the job just a wee bit more. The players will be looking to the gaffer for confidence and any other vibes he gives off.

Lansdown suggested it. Coppell thought it was unlikely but rang James anyway to see if it was a possibility. He says how it came about in his interview on the club web site.

David James is a good keeper, intelligent/thoughtful man with a great personality. A professional footballer with his record is a great asset to the dressing room, team and manager. Steve Coppell would be a very strange manager indeed if he was not happy to grasp a opportunity to sign him, no matter where the tip/suggestion came from.

Its just steve coppell thats the way he is..Personally id rather have coppell on scouting mission looking to improve are squad than standing around doing interviews..Keith millens job is to stand in,if coppells busy then so be it..!!

Richard latham has nothing better to do..Jog on i say let steve coppell do his job,its hard enough let alone people like him coming out with stupid press comments!!

Guest mesa boogie

Now Hartley doing Bristol - Scotland was absurd.

Not really, I lived in Glasgow for a year and from my flat in The Gorbals to my parents house in Bridgeyate would take 3ish hours.

Archived