IGNORED

Coaching And Scouting Staff...

spudski

Dan Harding the Saints LB is having a blinder, looks like a player we could do with, I am not suggesting we sign him as he'd probably never come, but he's certainly an exciting player to watch.

I noticed him too, this scouting stuff is easy innit!

As for our academy, for whatever reason we aren't seeing the benefits of having one at the moment which can't be cost effective.

Southampton's successful academy, with it's satellite at Bath, effectively takes players that would come to us.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/jan/28/southampton-alex-oxlade-chamberlain

Bas**rds - makes me wonder how poor our set-up has to be that we cannot attract local youth,that they would prefer to train/join Southampton's setup in Bath.

If you are talking about me Robbo you are completely misquoting me - I said the other day that he is not a natural leader and has zero charisma. I didn't say he should be sacked and certainly didn't say he should be replaced by Tisdale.

His complete lack of charisma is a major problem - it's one of the reasons fans (on here and elsewhere) feel so negative this season. He cannot talk the talk in public, simple as that. Whether or not he can on the training ground or in the dressing ground only the players know, but they are hardly tearing up trees for him at present are they?

Ever had a one to one with him? spoke to him after the last fans Q&A and I have also spoken to GJ a few times and I'll tell you one thing, you can look Millen in the eye and know whether he is bullshitting or not, not something GJ excelled in at all. I know who I'd follow in to a battle and it definitely wouldn't be that Johnson chap.

If you are talking about me Robbo you are completely misquoting me - I said the other day that he is not a natural leader and has zero charisma. I didn't say he should be sacked and certainly didn't say he should be replaced by Tisdale.

His complete lack of charisma is a major problem - it's one of the reasons fans (on here and elsewhere) feel so negative this season. He cannot talk the talk in public, simple as that. Whether or not he can on the training ground or in the dressing ground only the players know, but they are hardly tearing up trees for him at present are they?

I don't think we can sack him now - it's too late for a new boss to use the transfer window - but when he goes, we need someone with a lot more experience of managing at this level (or in the Prem). The Championship is no place for beginners.

Oh no, the journo doesn't like him........why? won't he give you an interview?

he's done nothing to deserve sacking, but that won't stop your type from knocking him, it's your type in the media that has helped build up the hire and fire mentality that so many chairman stupidly adopt.

Bas**rds - makes me wonder how poor our set-up has to be that we cannot attract local youth,that they would prefer to train/join Southampton's setup in Bath.

It's an estabished setup that's been there for years and simply parents would rather take their kids to a youth setup in Bath, as Southampton have a proven record in given youngsters a chance.

You only have to look at Lloyd James who is a young full back for them, went to Ashton School is a Bristol City fan and ends up at Southampton? WHY simple, better facilities setup and look after their players beter than us,

Personally I find it a bit embrassing that a kid who went to school literally across the road from ashton gate ends up in Southampton academy.

It's an estabished setup that's been there for years and simply parents would rather take their kids to a youth setup in Bath, as Southampton have a proven record in given youngsters a chance.

You only have to look at Lloyd James who is a young full back for them, went to Ashton School is a Bristol City fan and ends up at Southampton? WHY simple, better facilities setup and look after their players beter than us,

Personally I find it a bit embrassing that a kid who went to school literally across the road from ashton gate ends up in Southampton academy.

are you involved with the acadamy, Donald?

You seem to know a lot about the players coming and going.

Typical isn't it?

City are having a difficult season on the back of the disruption of Coppell's departure,the loss of Maynard through injury and Hartley heading back home.

Millen has come in for some OTT critism to the point of someone posting that he should be replaced 'because he lacks charisma' and that his job should go to Tisdale who has even less experience of the Championship than Millen does. Ridiculous.

Now its the coaching staff who are coming in for critism. Someone asked 'what can Stuart Naylor coach David James?'. Well, what goalkeeping coach anywhere could reach DJ anything? Someone else mentioned 'jobs for the boys'. Once again is Wigley 'one of the boys?'

Some fans seem to completely overlook that the current City squad is simply not strong enough and is the main reason that City are having such a tough season. Just ask yourself how many City players would get into the QPR or even Cardiff teams? One maybe.

Millen has very limited player resources and keeping us in the Championship is the best we can hope for this season. Should he achieve that then he will have done a decent job imo and look to improve the squad over the summer. With around 10 players being out of contract by then his job will be that much easier.

It's not something that has just occured to me this season. For years i've been questioning our Coaching and Scouting staffs ability, along with the Academy.

Yes we maybe having a poor season, but this thread is regardless of that.

We all want the best for our Club, and to discuss ways of improving makes for good debate. What we say on here, makes no difference in the bigger picture, we are just fans who have no say in the matter. The only thing that we can do as fans, that would make the club take notice, is talk with our feet.

At the end of the day, if you are a small Club in this division, and want to stay in this division, on a tight budget, then you need good coaches and staff that can train young up and coming talent from the lower leagues, or motivate average journeyman Pro's. The Academy isn't producing anything on a regular basis, players are coming and going at an alarming rate. They turn up with a decent pedigree, then seem to slowly go backwards. OK, there are a few exceptions, but this seems to be the norm. Then on top of that we find ourselves 25 million in debt and sitting 17th in the league, having played more than the teams below us.

Asking questions about the Club, it's faults and where they could be improved, is only natural, don't you think?

I think there has been a element of far too many "jobs for the boys" in the past but Wigley's appointment hopefully signals the end of this.

Also to be fair to Naylor, he was previously goalkeeping coach at Rushden and Oldham, he didn't just walk into a job here and if anyone can recall Basso at the start of his City career that was definitely one player who did improve (and excel) in his time with us.

I'd love a complete overhaul of our scouting system though.

Agree. For me the Monday meeting over the village green claim is a bigger issue than the window closing. I rather have quality on loan than crap signed just for the sake of it.

It may well be a more important issue to you, I am not going to comment, but to intimate we can work on only one issue or the other is, with respect, nonsense; millen says he has to drop the search for midfield and defence and concentrate only on a striker. That sounds like the thing a non-league team might have to do when the gaffer does everything from making the tea to cutting the grass to coaching. It's utterly disingenuous for Millen to use that excuse.... Unless of course BCFC are sacking people right left and centre?

It may well be a more important issue to you, I am not going to comment, but to intimate we can work on only one issue or the other is, with respect, nonsense; millen says he has to drop the search for midfield and defence and concentrate only on a striker. That sounds like the thing a non-league team might have to do when the gaffer does everything from making the tea to cutting the grass to coaching. It's utterly disingenuous for Millen to use that excuse.... Unless of course BCFC are sacking people right left and centre?

Until some people who will not allow any proper debate about the coaching especially realize that Millen has been part of that coaching process for 6 years now so has a case to answer for it's failure and to be honest looking at many of the goals we have shipped (and boy there is a lot to choose from) this season one thing for sure is it ain't improved defensively.

Asking questions about the Club, it's faults and where they could be improved, is only natural, don't you think?

Its rare that I get swayed by a debate on here but I have to admit that reading through this thread has caused me to reconsider my opinion about the coaching set-up at City. Maybe it does require an review.

That said Steve Lansdown must be happy with the current coaching set-up. He's not a man who would let things drift along and accomodate an attitude of 'jobs for the boys' within the club.

Apart from Alan Walsh and Naylor who exactly are these staff who fill these 'jobs for the boys'. I don't include Millen for obvious reasons.

Oh no, the journo doesn't like him........why? won't he give you an interview?

he's done nothing to deserve sacking, but that won't stop your type from knocking him, it's your type in the media that has helped build up the hire and fire mentality that so many chairman stupidly adopt.

I'm sorry to say Donald that this is the sort of post that brings this forum into disrepute. By comparison with Robbo's entirely reasonable response to Martyn Hocking's views yours is to attack a poster. As one of the very few people to post using their real name it's easy to find out what this particular poster does and their profession. Does that give you - hiding behind an online alias - the right to attack not just his views but his whole "type"?

I think not.

Shame on you.

Until some people who will not allow any proper debate about the coaching especially realize that Millen has been part of that coaching process for 6 years now so has a case to answer. this season one thing for sure is it ain't improved defensively.

well, many have very squewed and rose tinted views of Millen in my opinion but each to their own. Point noted though in that a respectful debate is far more constructive than point scoring by the few.

On defense; the sum total then, in your view, of Caulker coming in and others being injured or poor has still not improved the back line? That's an interesting point because had he not come in you are suggesting, i think, then we would have gone even more backwards.

What would be those 'obvious' reasons because I cannot think of them sorry.

Because Millen had been assistant manager and it made pefect sense to appoint him as manager after Coppell left City in the lurch. Millens coaching qualifications are top drawer and his knowledge of the club and many of the players made him the ideal appointment. He merited it in other words.

Hardly a 'job for boys' appointment.

I'm sorry to say Donald that this is the sort of post that brings this forum into disrepute. By comparison with Robbo's entirely reasonable response to Martyn Hocking's views yours is to attack a poster. As one of the very few people to post using their real name it's easy to find out what this particular poster does and their profession. Does that give you - hiding behind an online alias - the right to attack not just his views but his whole "type"?

I think not.

Shame on you.

I'm no fan of the written media at all and only brought up his media background, which is only because of his past references of his media background, my post is personal agreed and it was aimed to be that way, purely on the basis that he is consistent on his personal critisitism of Millen and his personality with endless comments of why he should be sacked already, which has been his view point almost constantly since Millen was promoted.

Because Millen had been assistant manager and it made pefect sense to appoint him as manager after Coppell left City in the lurch. Millens coaching qualifications are top drawer and his knowledge of the club and many of the players made him the ideal appointment. He merited it in other words.

I really dont see why...."jobs for the boys "is a problem. Worked for Liverpool with great success for decades and it's something they want to go back to.

I'd much rather have ex-players who want to go into coaching join our academy setup to learn their trade, some make good coaches, others dont....Millen from day one of going into the academy was felt to be doing a good job, ironically it was at the time when a number of players started coming through the system.

I'd much rather have ex-players who are doing their badges work their way up through the system and if they are good at their job, great a crack at a top job,

it's also something that the FA are trying to do at International level with ex-England players.

But hey.......some just want a big name with no passion for the club.......ala Steve Coppell

I really dont see why...."jobs for the boys "is a problem. Worked for Liverpool with great success for decades and it's something they want to go back to.

I'd much rather have ex-players who want to go into coaching join our academy setup to learn their trade, some make good coaches, others dont....Millen from day one of going into the academy was felt to be doing a good job, ironically it was at the time when a number of players started coming through the system.

I'd much rather have ex-players who are doing their badges work their way up through the system and if they are good at their job, great a crack at a top job,

it's also something that the FA are trying to do at International level with ex-England players.

But hey.......some just want a big name with no passion for the club.......ala Steve Coppell

I realy wouldnt reccomend copying the FA or using them as an example to prove a point. If ever there was a useless bunch of overpaid disinterested people in football who line their own pockets and those of their mates then the FA is it.

I dont care if a coach is an ex player an ex Rovers manager or an ex member of Duran Duran so long as they are good at their job. Where they come from is neither here or there.

I realy wouldnt reccomend copying the FA or using them as an example to prove a point. If ever there was a useless bunch of overpaid disinterested people in football who line their own pockets and those of their mates then the FA is it.

I dont care if a coach is an ex player an ex Rovers manager or an ex member of Duran Duran so long as they are good at their job. Where they come from is neither here or there.

sigh..........READ THE F@$KING POST............What the FA (Trevor Brooking) is trying to do once the new burton academy is open, obviously what is happening at the moment isn't working, but Brooking is trying to change the way the FA works with International coaching by getting ex-players involved throughout the setup, similar to what they are doing with Pearce at u21

sigh..........READ THE F@$KING POST............What the FA (Trevor Brooking) is trying to do once the new burton academy is open, obviously what is happening at the moment isn't working, but Brooking is trying to change the way the FA works with International coaching by getting ex-players involved throughout the setup, similar to what they are doing with Pearce at u21

Sigh read mine and watch your language. Point being the FA should never be used as an example. Your saying the FA is going to do it this way, like that makes it a good thing. It doesnt.

Brooking the ex England player whose been there years and done nothing while pulling a tidy wage because he;s got mates there? A good example.

Until it did'nt work anymore like the last year of Kenny Dalglish's reign, Ronnie Moran, Graham Souness and Roy Evans.

Sigh read mine and watch your language. Point being the FA should never be used as an example. Your saying the FA is going to do it this way, like that makes it a good thing. It doesnt.

Brooking the ex England player whose been there years and done nothing while pulling a tidy wage because he;s got mates there? A good example.

Totally ignoring the point that the vast majority of football believe Brooking has the right ideas, but the people above him are the problem

well, many have very squewed and rose tinted views of Millen in my opinion but each to their own. Point noted though in that a respectful debate is far more constructive than point scoring by the few.

On defense; the sum total then, in your view, of Caulker coming in and others being injured or poor has still not improved the back line? That's an interesting point because had he not come in you are suggesting, i think, then we would have gone even more backwards.

What I am suggesting is Caulker is an extremely talented player in fact if he continues to improve I agree a future England captain in the making but without him in our defence for only 45 minutes it falls to pieces and shows how poor we are defensively when without a 19 year old is all that is holding it together of course injuries have caused us major problems but the defensive problem has been with us for 3 years now.

Until it did'nt work anymore like the last year of Kenny Dalglish's reign, Ronnie Moran, Graham Souness and Roy Evans.

Um, in the final Full season of kenny, they won the title, the following year he quit mid season for personal reasons, they then brought sounded from outside the club andvrhey went into decline.

But hey, just change history to make a point again why don't you

maybe so. Its all well and good having a nice certificate above his desk saying what he can do. Its a completely different ball game actually getting out there and coaching.

For me, a good coach should be judged on how his players develop. You can see with your own eyes our squad, from youth players up to first team, doesnt develop.

Um, in the final Full season of kenny, they won the title, the following year he quit mid season for personal reasons, they then brought sounded from outside the club andvrhey went into decline.

But hey, just change history to make a point again why don't you

Your changing history mate, Ronnie Moran, Roy Evans and Souness all either promoted from within or brought in as an ex player and all failures, ergo the policy of jobs for the boys ended.

Archived