IGNORED

Season Tickets

marmite

Yeah, definately.

I love City, but to me City is far more than turning up for 90 mins on a Saturday expecting to be entertained.

I love going to the pub then milling around the back of the east end, having a chat, seeing friends. This is one thing i'll miss when we move grounds. The thought of having to sit in the same seat and be forced to watch the match horrifies me.

Make no mistake, Tuesday was dire, Millen is a good bloke but has no clue what he is doing and will not take us forward. Despite all that, i had a cracking laugh with my mates and a good chat with my city mates. We all discussed our season tickets and all agreed we would renew. Not because of the football or the faith we have in Millen, but because what else is there to do? Where esle we see all our mates and have a good laugh?

It may sound sad, but now i'm a dad of two, it's pretty much my social life!!

Plus, I love City. If i can't turn up because of money etc, that's fine (god knows i've had my lean spells) but if i can (as i am able to do a the moment) i wouldn't be a City fan i chose not to!

Funny enough, I was only saying this the other day. With everything that has happened over the last 12/18 months....its as if I have falling out of love with the game. I've had a season ticket for 16 years now, and it will depend what league were in whether I renew. Not a faithful fan? if people wish to think that, so be it. However I am sick to the back teeth of a club being ran so poorly.

This club actually seems dead. There is absolutely no togetherness on the pitch, or off it. There certainly isnt any togetherness between playing staff and fans. I look at absolute wasters like Damien Stewart, Nicky Hunt, Cisse and Clarkson....and it angers me. For all his failings towards the end, Gary Johnson really bought this club together as a whole, and for that, Ill always be grateful to him. His first three years, we accomplished so much down to this club being so tight nit. Now, as Red Badger said.....I just see so many people getting an easy ride at our expense.

Lansdown. Ok, granted....he covers our debt, for that im grateful, but dont forget its a debt he has allowed to rack up. He continuously backed Tinnion, GJ when it was clear to see a change was needed, and he is doing exactly the same with Millen.

In all 16 years of having a season ticket, and the couple of years I watched before that......Ive never known the club and its supporters be so distant from each other

Good post...

Many i have spoken too have said the same thing. It's a general feeling around the Club of remoteness.

I know many will say those first seasons up, gave us a good feeling, because it was all new, we were optimistic, and played at times good football. But it wasn't just that. Players like Basso, Murray and Orr plus others gave a feeling of unity between fans and players. At the moment, it feels like going to watch football at a morgue with a few Zombies running around. It's dead down there. The fans all have that '1000 yard stare' look. Even the guy doing the mic at the beginning of the game and half time sends me to sleep. Not his fault, but he has one of those voices. Tbh, i've never known a season like it, even in the dark days of Div 4. Even if the team were playing well and we weren't in a relegation scrap, I still think it would be dull down there. I can't pinpoint it though.

• Admin

Some interesting posts, I'm currently undecided whether to renew, (I've had a ST for about 15 seasons). I've been going down the Gate since taken by my Father in the 60's, I've done the seasons where I haven't missed a game, home or away, the last 6 years I have had a job with shifts, I've taken annual leave, begged colleagues to work late etc to cover me whilst I go to the game. I get up early when on nights to go to the games, but the last couple of seasons, I've done less of the begging, been reluctant to use up annual leave. Why? Because I am not being entertained, I do a lot of match fishing and have enjoyed that a lot more than watching us struggle to trouble a goalkeeper for 7½ hours.

So, this year, I guess, I haven't been to 4 home games and will probably miss one or two more, unless I waste a days leave, so I am weighing up seriously if, I want to go POTD. My main concern is that if i go POTD and things remain as unexciting as they currently are, I might struggle to bother going at all. The social side of the day is the main draw at the moment, but as more and more folk stop coming or are having to tighten their belts that isn't the same as it was.

So on balance, I'll probably renew, but waste 4 - 6 of the games due to work, but I won't be renewing early bird and I'll definitely be POTD if we go down.

Just a thought about all the "Gloryhunters, who purchased season tickets for the season after the playoff final" - Maybe they weren't gloryhunters, maybe they were City fans who work shifts, have other interests and ties and usually POTD, but knew that the only way to see City play Man U etc. if we did go up, would be by getting a season ticket - I don't blame anyone for that, if I go back to POTD and we look like getting to the Prem in my lifetime, I'd jump on the "gloryhunting" bandwagon and get another season ticket.

it works out cheaper for me n Mrs Bucks, than POTD, so yes. The downside is I am continuing to contribute to Johnson & Gerkin's wages however such is life

If times get harder though, it will be interesting to see what happens...

Some interesting posts, I'm currently undecided whether to renew, (I've had a ST for about 15 seasons). I've been going down the Gate since taken by my Father in the 60's, I've done the seasons where I haven't missed a game, home or away, the last 6 years I have had a job with shifts, I've taken annual leave, begged colleagues to work late etc to cover me whilst I go to the game. I get up early when on nights to go to the games, but the last couple of seasons, I've done less of the begging, been reluctant to use up annual leave. Why? Because I am not being entertained, I do a lot of match fishing and have enjoyed that a lot more than watching us struggle to trouble a goalkeeper for 7½ hours.

So, this year, I guess, I haven't been to 4 home games and will probably miss one or two more, unless I waste a days leave, so I am weighing up seriously if, I want to go POTD. My main concern is that if i go POTD and things remain as unexciting as they currently are, I might struggle to bother going at all. The social side of the day is the main draw at the moment, but as more and more folk stop coming or are having to tighten their belts that isn't the same as it was.

So on balance, I'll probably renew, but waste 4 - 6 of the games due to work, but I won't be renewing early bird and I'll definitely be POTD if we go down.

Just a thought about all the "Gloryhunters, who purchased season tickets for the season after the playoff final" - Maybe they weren't gloryhunters, maybe they were City fans who work shifts, have other interests and ties and usually POTD, but knew that the only way to see City play Man U etc. if we did go up, would be by getting a season ticket - I don't blame anyone for that, if I go back to POTD and we look like getting to the Prem in my lifetime, I'd jump on the "gloryhunting" bandwagon and get another season ticket.

Interesting points made here about so called gloryhunters. We all aspire to the new stadium and gates of 30000 (really!!). But surely by definition, the extra thousands that turn up will be just that,"gloryhunters". Does that mean they wont be welcome because they are not City through and through?

There are many City fans who go to the football, because it involves meeting up with mate's and having a few beers.

If you went on your own, and just went to watch the football, with no social side, then i think season tickets would drop drastically.

Interesting looking at your signature photo of the city squad then 'Spudski'. How many of them would have lay down and get rolled over like our present team recently.

I'm definately going to wait to see what happens and to see if things improve this season and to see what happens in the summer. I'm not getting sucked in by this early bird purchasing rubbish. We should get discounts now for how many years we have been season ticket holders, a loyalty discount. I would then be up for 20 years service.

At the moment, watching BCFC is a good drink ruined!!!

Mixed responses yes, but if I was someone from the club reading this then i would be quite happy with the positive responses.

Fair enough it's not a very big poll of people's intentions. Some are saying a definate no, some are saying no because of the expense of travel as they live many miles away from Bristol. But most are saying yes for social or habitual reasons and the fact that POTD is so expensive.

The club have a captive audience, we cannot get the same 'product' elsewhere. They give us and price and we have to pay it, and they know that of course.

<br />I'm definately going to wait to see what happens and to see if things improve this season and to see what happens in the summer. I'm not getting sucked in by this early bird purchasing rubbish. We should get discounts now for how many years we have been season ticket holders, a loyalty discount. I would then be up for 20 years service.<br />At the moment, watching BCFC is a good drink ruined!!!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Too true!

Just like away days, a fantastic day on the beer with your mates, spoilt by 90 minutes of football!

Funny enough, I was only saying this the other day. With everything that has happened over the last 12/18 months....its as if I have falling out of love with the game. I've had a season ticket for 16 years now, and it will depend what league were in whether I renew. Not a faithful fan? if people wish to think that, so be it. However I am sick to the back teeth of a club being ran so poorly.

This club actually seems dead. There is absolutely no togetherness on the pitch, or off it. There certainly isnt any togetherness between playing staff and fans. I look at absolute wasters like Damien Stewart, Nicky Hunt, Cisse and Clarkson....and it angers me. For all his failings towards the end, Gary Johnson really bought this club together as a whole, and for that, Ill always be grateful to him. His first three years, we accomplished so much down to this club being so tight nit. Now, as Red Badger said.....I just see so many people getting an easy ride at our expense.

Lansdown. Ok, granted....he covers our debt, for that im grateful, but dont forget its a debt he has allowed to rack up. He continuously backed Tinnion, GJ when it was clear to see a change was needed, and he is doing exactly the same with Millen.

In all 16 years of having a season ticket, and the couple of years I watched before that......Ive never known the club and its supporters be so distant from each other

Good post, and an interesting one at that.

I too am sensing a "lack of togetherness", and whilst I often find myself at loggerheads with you and red badger, I must say I am sharing some of your concerns too.

You can look as deep as you want and you will find reasons why peoples "love" of the game is dwindling. From Scudamore (How can that man be a City fan when all he seems to want is to put clubs like us out of business?) and his Premier League to the Yanks and the Sheiks coming and distorting the markets from top to bottom with their corrupt money.

A lot of fans such as Nogbad the Bad harp back to the "good old days" of the 70's and 80's... But the game has got worse even from the early nineties. Bosman rulings and Sky money has continually increased further distancing the sport from the masses.

If we were in this position in our first season in the championship, When the club was "together" I have no doubts the fans would have been fully behind the club and taking an impressive following up to preston to cheer the boys to a victory... The back to the walls mentality has completely disapearred from the club, and I think the fans lost it before the players...

People may not be renewing next season, and that is their perogative. I will be, no matter the division. But a lot of you have a season ticket now... If you are not going to come next year then the club needs you to help restore that backs against the walls mentality. the fans have their part to play too (and bollocks to the excuse " they need to give us something to shout about" now is the time for the fans to do all they can), if the players still fail us then we can still hold our heads high!!! I dont want this club to drop without a whimper... and that is slowly looking likely.

On Lansdown, I would say that his backing of managers is a good thing, as if he hadn't backed the managers he would have been lambasted on here and by those managers. One thing I will admit though, Where has he gone? under GJ he was frequently at the forefront of the OS or making statements... He has a duty to his club to rouse us... get us back onside...

It's slipping away, to the point where fans won't come back if they are allowed to leave.

Good post, and an interesting one at that.

I too am sensing a "lack of togetherness", and whilst I often find myself at loggerheads with you and red badger, I must say I am sharing some of your concerns too.

You can look as deep as you want and you will find reasons why peoples "love" of the game is dwindling. From Scudamore (How can that man be a City fan when all he seems to want is to put clubs like us out of business?) and his Premier League to the Yanks and the Sheiks coming and distorting the markets from top to bottom with their corrupt money.

A lot of fans such as Nogbad the Bad harp back to the "good old days" of the 70's and 80's... But the game has got worse even from the early nineties. Bosman rulings and Sky money has continually increased further distancing the sport from the masses.

If we were in this position in our first season in the championship, When the club was "together" I have no doubts the fans would have been fully behind the club and taking an impressive following up to preston to cheer the boys to a victory... The back to the walls mentality has completely disapearred from the club, and I think the fans lost it before the players...

People may not be renewing next season, and that is their perogative. I will be, no matter the division. But a lot of you have a season ticket now... If you are not going to come next year then the club needs you to help restore that backs against the walls mentality. the fans have their part to play too (and bollocks to the excuse " they need to give us something to shout about" now is the time for the fans to do all they can), if the players still fail us then we can still hold our heads high!!! I dont want this club to drop without a whimper... and that is slowly looking likely.

On Lansdown, I would say that his backing of managers is a good thing, as if he hadn't backed the managers he would have been lambasted on here and by those managers. One thing I will admit though, Where has he gone? under GJ he was frequently at the forefront of the OS or making statements... He has a duty to his club to rouse us... get us back onside...

It's slipping away, to the point where fans won't come back if they are allowed to leave.

I think as much as GJ had his shortcomings he had alot to do with club unity! The whole Johnson said bounce around the ground, get behind the team, always believe etc, it had a meaning under him because he only wanted the best for BCFC and wanted to involve the fans.

He would always acknowledge the fans, every single game he would say something about the support ,99% was positive, I think Millen has acknowledged the fans once this season.

I know its the small things, but its things that you talk about before and after games, when your at work, the buzz of watching a City game on a week nights for the first 2 and a half season in the Championship was amazing. Going away, the reading game, with 4500 City fans, the palace games have always been epic up until this season. It was a us verses the world attitude, it was our club and we were right behind them!

But i think it had alot to do with it was the players, we were bottom of league 1, the players turned it around and eventually that group got us promotion, the supporters were right behind the team, people like orr, carey, noble, basso etc, that continued into the first season in the championship. I think the players we have now just apart from maybe stead and adamoh haven't got that same bond with the fans that team had.

I just think the whole clubs needs a shake up from the bottom up, we need a manager that can unify the club and take it forward and the fans will be there for the ride. I just think alot of fans don't see where we are going at the moment and the excitement of going to watch City has gone away because I think the club has lost its personality slightly! Hopefully next season we can start again!

Interesting looking at your signature photo of the city squad then 'Spudski'. How many of them would have lay down and get rolled over like our present team recently.

Those lads are incomparable with the shower we have now. I get quiet cross thinking about it. Just glad i'm old enough to have witnessed them. I Feel sorry for a lot of our younger fans.

Those lads are incomparable with the shower we have now. I get quiet cross thinking about it. Just glad i'm old enough to have witnessed them. I Feel sorry for a lot of our younger fans.

Yes,when football fun,yes fun.Wheatsheaf then on to the black horse before the game, ninety minutes of singing [well thats what seemed like],and generally shouting abuse at the ref,away fans,police and letting off steam.Then down town to watch some local bands or off down the piggery[barton hll]for a bit of a do. :clapping:

I can't believe some of the posts on here describing certain city fans as "glory hunters" because they may not be renewing their season ticket.

Our club has never won a major trophy and has spent most of its 100+ year history playing in the lower leagues. Do you think that Manchester United would have such a large fan base if it had never won the Premier League, the old Division One, the European Cup, the Champions League, the FA Cup, the League Cup etc, etc,etc and had spent most of its history in league two. It is a fact that success breeds success.

In the circumstances I think it is remarkable that we get over14,000 turning up every home game. The potential is there as is evidenced by the 40,000 plus we took to the Millennium stadium and Wembley in the two play off finals (which we inevitably lost) but we have never produced the success which is necessary to attract and maintain a large fan base.

If, after over 100 years of winning nothing and faced with regularly getting stuffed at home, some fans decide not to renew their season ticket then this is understandable. But to call them "glory hunters" is ridiculous.

Been following City since 1951 aged 3, you do the maths! Had a bit of break around the time Osman was in charge (and in all honesty it almost seems as bad these days).

The following years I didn't go very often, but then got right back into it when Danny Wilson was in charge and have been a regular ever since. For the first time around seven years ago I could finally afford a season ticket and have had the same seat ever since. But now having retired from work a bit early, but not yet getting the state pension, I have to decide whether it's really worth it.

Out of 24 clubs in this league only 5 others plus this club, do not offer concessions to the over 60s. We have to wait till 65. It may not mean much to those still in work but for me it is a significant factor considering the poor value of entertainment served up and the rising costs in virtually all other things.

At the moment I'm not sure if I can, or indeed want to justify it. I guess I will wait and see what the prices are and then decide whether to renew or POTD. The trouble with POTD is that I know once you miss one or two you can get out of the habit of going, and it is not that long before you don't really miss it that much at all! :dunno:

After 35 years I don't think I will be able to renew this year although I would if my circumstances were different. Nothing to do with the football, purely financial after nigh on 12 months out of work.

Although I have finally landed another job, I can't see me spending £500 on a ST as justifiable ATM.

Here's hoping tho!! :fingerscrossed:

In these difficult financial times, accusations of people being "glory hunters" are wide of the mark. Sure, there are people who are lucky enough to be able to afford season tickets each year, and people who live close enough that the extra costs are eliminated.

Personally I cannot get to the gate as often as I used to, but over Christmas went as often as I could with my Dad. With his retirement, money is tight (as it is for all of us) and I saw he paid over 140 quid (ticket price only) for 2 matches. No beers before the game, no burgers at half time because it's simply too expensive. We take our own chocolate bars or whatever for half time and listen to the scores while other people munch their burgers and check the highlights on their iPhones and that is a world totally alien to mine. Some people can afford it and fair enough, but not for us. And one of those games was Palace at home. No effort, no leadership, no reward. Of course the following Cardiff game made it all worthwhile, and as a fan I wouldn't have considered not going when I had the chance. But when I see my father making the effort to go (and nigh on 30 quid plus petrol plus parking is a ludicrous price for 2 hours of "entertainment") and be given a totally disinterested performance in return, I wonder if he wouldn't have been better spending the money on heating or food, because that is the reality most of us live with, and if BCFC think people are going to continue to line these "gangtas" pockets for not even caring enough to try, then they may be in for a surprise. Football is at a real turning point and regular working people are questioning whether they should go anymore, even if they could technically scrape together the money for it.

Credit to those who renew in the middle of this self-inflicted relegation battle, but it's not a luxury everyone can afford anymore.

In these difficult financial times, accusations of people being "glory hunters" are wide of the mark. Sure, there are people who are lucky enough to be able to afford season tickets each year, and people who live close enough that the extra costs are eliminated.

Personally I cannot get to the gate as often as I used to, but over Christmas went as often as I could with my Dad. With his retirement, money is tight (as it is for all of us) and I saw he paid over 140 quid (ticket price only) for 2 matches. No beers before the game, no burgers at half time because it's simply too expensive. We take our own chocolate bars or whatever for half time and listen to the scores while other people munch their burgers and check the highlights on their iPhones and that is a world totally alien to mine. Some people can afford it and fair enough, but not for us. And one of those games was Palace at home. No effort, no leadership, no reward. Of course the following Cardiff game made it all worthwhile, and as a fan I wouldn't have considered not going when I had the chance. But when I see my father making the effort to go (and nigh on 30 quid plus petrol plus parking is a ludicrous price for 2 hours of "entertainment") and be given a totally disinterested performance in return, I wonder if he wouldn't have been better spending the money on heating or food, because that is the reality most of us live with, and if BCFC think people are going to continue to line these "gangtas" pockets for not even caring enough to try, then they may be in for a surprise. Football is at a real turning point and regular working people are questioning whether they should go anymore, even if they could technically scrape together the money for it.

Credit to those who renew in the middle of this self-inflicted relegation battle, but it's not a luxury everyone can afford anymore.

I hear what your'e saying , but , "I saw he paid over 140 quid (ticket price only) for 2 matches". Can I ask how many people was that for. Not just the 2 of you surely?

I hear what your'e saying , but , "I saw he paid over 140 quid (ticket price only) for 2 matches". Can I ask how many people was that for. Not just the 2 of you surely?

Fair point mate - One game was 2 of us, one game there was 3 of us (perhaps a lucky charm - one whose first and only city game ever was Cardiff!) but still works out at 28 a ticket, which is quite steep come what may. Essentially that's for 2 people to watch one game, then one extra (who is never going to buy a city scarf, shirt etc) for another. Like I said, fair play to those who can, but for some of us it gets difficult to make that commitment

I can't believe some of the posts on here describing certain city fans as "glory hunters" because they may not be renewing their season ticket.

Our club has never won a major trophy and has spent most of its 100+ year history playing in the lower leagues. Do you think that Manchester United would have such a large fan base if it had never won the Premier League, the old Division One, the European Cup, the Champions League, the FA Cup, the League Cup etc, etc,etc and had spent most of its history in league two. It is a fact that success breeds success.

In the circumstances I think it is remarkable that we get over14,000 turning up every home game. The potential is there as is evidenced by the 40,000 plus we took to the Millennium stadium and Wembley in the two play off finals (which we inevitably lost) but we have never produced the success which is necessary to attract and maintain a large fan base.

If, after over 100 years of winning nothing and faced with regularly getting stuffed at home, some fans decide not to renew their season ticket then this is understandable. But to call them "glory hunters" is ridiculous.

absolutely superb post. considering the fact wev'e never really done anything our attendances are pretty good.

how many clubs regularly get larger gates than us but have never been in the Premier League (not the old league one), meaning theyv'e had recent succes of some degree??? cardiff are one, i cant think of another, and even then their attendances have been fullued by outrageously living beyond their means and a new stadium.

I know what you mean, I've been telling my boys about that team, I hope we can get promoted to the top division just so they can experience what we did and then they can tell their children and grandchildren.

Oh by the way, I will be renewing next season, its in the blood.

Will you take a chance and renew when the offer prices are announced? Bear in mind that whatever the price is, you could just be watching Div 1 football next season and if thats the case,how many of our "better" players will stay with us or have to be sold to balance the books.? If last nights performance v Swansea is a benchmark of the future, there will be a lot of soulsearching in this household for one.

Without Question!!

apart from a couple of seasons during the early 80's when I was in London quite a bit, I have had a season ticket every year since the old first division days. Doesn't matter what division they are in, you follow them though thick & thin!!!!!

:chant6ez:

• Admin

Anyone changed their minds from no to yes now the prices are out.

Work means I miss 5-8 games a season, I was considering not renewing & going POTD, but even if I miss 8 games, @ £375 for 23 games, my seat in the Dolman is still only £25 per game, so likely to remain less than the POTD prices. Renewal looks positive.

For my Adult Season ticket in the Atyeo, I've divided the cost by 23 games and each match costs me £14.13 ! To me, that's a really good deal, so I'll be taking advantage of it.

I still think that entry costs to all football matches should be around the tenner mark, but I can't grumble about that - especially when you look at what QPR were charging away fans earlier this season.

Archived