IGNORED

Never Mind The Boos .... Lj's A Winner In Property

headhunter

Pretty sure I just saw badger (mrs L) viewing this topic...

Makes you so proud of the vitriolic bullshit this forum is now known for...

For clarifications sake, mrs lansdown, the section of people who personally insult our own players is a distinct minority and the rest of us "human beings" actually support every member of our playing squad ( except nicky hunt)

So, if you think players are overpaid you are not a "human being" are you? :argh:

I support the team - rather than individuals. As players come and go (in their flash cars), I'm still here. And that gives me the right to my opinion.

So, if you think players are overpaid you are not a "human being" are you? :argh:

I support the team - rather than individuals. As players come and go (in their flash cars), I'm still here. And that gives me the right to my opinion.

Thinking they are overpaid is not what I questioned, Unless you think that is Vitriolic Bullshit?

Read the post properly before you get a bee in your knickers.

People have said LJ is an average championship player and expressed astonishment and the amount he is able to trouser in wages. I don't think that's vitriolic, I think it's honest opinion.

To be fair, being an 'average' player still puts you in the top 1000 - maybe - of the millions of blokes who play football in this country. Some of us just don't think that's skill enough to enable you to be made-for-life in your 30s.

People have said LJ is an average championship player and expressed astonishment and the amount he is able to trouser in wages. I don't think that's vitriolic, I think it's honest opinion.

To be fair, being an 'average' player still puts you in the top 1000 - maybe - of the millions of blokes who play football in this country. Some of us just don't think that's skill enough to enable you to be made-for-life in your 30s.

open your eyes, there as been some particularly rude and insulting things said about LJ in this thread by the "usual suspects"

Well, if it insults you so much that he earns what he does then cancel your ST, Cancel your Sky subscription and start a campaign? You pay the money you think football is worth, and I would sure as hell prefer the money went to the players rather than ***** like Glazier, Hicks, Gillette, Mandaric, Storrie etc etc. They recieve nothing but a fair percentage of the money within the game.

I'm dead certain that if everyone on here was "an average footballer" they would refuse the money available to them, aren't you all so noble.

Of course we wouldn't refuse the money if it was offered us, but that's not to take away the point that players earn too much, which increases the losses to clubs, the price for fans and all sorts of other things that will eventually strangle football at its grassroots (e: everything other than the Big Five).

As for chancers like Gilette and Hicks - wasn't one of the most amusing sides of that farrago that they ended up losing money on their 'investment'?

Just watched West Ham v Birmingham and i'll pick out one player Wayne Bridge must be on 30/40k minimum per week and is a defender and somehow lost a 6' 7" giant and got the wrong side of him and from a set piece 1-0. Like a dentist trying to extract a tooth through your arse, you could'nt make it up, Wayne Bridge 30/40k a week FFS, bloke can't even defend his girlfriend.

Priceless comment. He will have to to a lot of defensive work to shrug of big 6 '7" red blooded males to keep hold of his current girlfriend.

Pretty sure I just saw badger (mrs L) viewing this topic...

Makes you so proud of the vitriolic bullshit this forum is now known for...

For clarifications sake, mrs lansdown, the section of people who personally insult our own players is a distinct minority and the rest of us "human beings" actually support every member of our playing squad ( except nicky hunt)

You are one sanctimonious individual!

A player out of his depth in the Championship on an inflated contract, he's not stupid i'll give him that, he used the money well to help secure his future in the knowledge he will soon lose the level of income he is currently on. I understand it's not Lee's fault, he was hardly going to turn the deal down when it was offered to him!

He must be one of the top earners at the club yet one of the worse players. Now I wonder how that happened!?

A player out of his depth in the Championship on an inflated contract, he's not stupid i'll give him that, he used the money well to help secure his future in the knowledge he will soon lose the level of income he is currently on. I understand it's not Lee's fault, he was hardly going to turn the deal down when it was offered to him!

He must be one of the top earners at the club yet one of the worse players. Now I wonder how that happened!?

Top earner at the club?, when did he sign his last contract, unless there is a clause in his contract like top clubs, some one comes in i'm the highest player player here, if someone comes in you match this?, i doubt he is anywhere near a top earning at our club.

Out of his depth in a team that finished 4th, 10th and 10th? must be a hell of a lot of players even further out of their depth in the championship.

pretty sure I read at the time that Lee Johnson was the one player who Lansdown negotiated a contract with as Gary Johnson didnt want to get involved. So if your blaming anyone then I think its the chairman who agreed his wages.

why must he be one of the top earners?

What some of you are ignoring is that an article about LJ selling a £1m house is likely to arouse interest from many City fans, arising from the fact that he's been able to do it from a lucrative contract given by his dad who also played him ahead of better players.

Of course he's not going to refuse what was handed on a plate but that doesnt make it right.

Lucky very lucky lad, at Bristol City's (or maybe Steve Lansdown's) expense.

What some of you are ignoring is that an article about LJ selling a £1m house is likely to arouse interest from many City fans, arising from the fact that he's been able to do it from a lucrative contract given by his dad who also played him ahead of better players.

Of course he's not going to refuse what was handed on a plate but that doesnt make it right.

Lucky very lucky lad, at Bristol City's (or maybe Steve Lansdown's) expense.

again pretty sure it was said that Lansdown did all contract negotiations with him.

the better players bit is just your opinion not a fact.

Out of his depth in a team that finished 4th, 10th and 10th? must be a hell of a lot of players even further out of their depth in the championship.

pretty sure I read at the time that Lee Johnson was the one player who Lansdown negotiated a contract with as Gary Johnson didnt want to get involved. So if your blaming anyone then I think its the chairman who agreed his wages.

why must he be one of the top earners?

I'm equally as sure of reading during the summer of 2009 GJ quoted as saying that he'd requested the players of 2 or 3 players to be extended and significantly improved, LJ being one of those players.

Steve Lansdown backs his managers and within the budget is unlikely to have said no.

I also definitely recall the justification being that those players deserved reward for past efforts, which seemed bizzarre to me at the time considering that we had declined and the team needed improving not being rewarded for going backwards.

I'm equally as sure of reading during the summer of 2009 GJ quoted as saying that he'd requested the players of 2 or 3 players to be extended and significantly improved, LJ being one of those players.

Steve Lansdown backs his managers and within the budget is unlikely to have said no.

I also definitely recall the justification being that those players deserved reward for past efforts, which seemed bizzarre to me at the time considering that we had declined and the team needed improving not being rewarded for going backwards.

not sure how it works. I'm sure I read Lansdown negotiated terms with him when he first signedand Gary had nothing to do with it, so any improvment would of been using that as the starting point for improving it.

I'd guess the manager would of said he wanted to retain Lee and then its up to him and his agent and Lansdown to discuss terms and come to an agreement.

again pretty sure it was said that Lansdown did all contract negotiations with him.

the better players bit is just your opinion not a fact.

See other post I'm fairly confident Lansdown would have taken on board Johnson's views on how to pay players so long as within the overall budget.

Yes the better players comment Hartley and Sno for example is just my opinion, as is my view that Elliott playing left wing and Johnson in the middle was effing ludicrous.

My understanding is that LJ is on £11k a week at City. I have been told this by a member of the coaching staff who I know well. Make of that what you want.

Well my contact that does a lot of work for the club (and has done for years) says that LJ is the highest paid player at AG on around 16k per week..............needless to say he had to pick me up off the floor after telling me that.

BCAGFC

Well my contact that does a lot of work for the club (and has done for years) says that LJ is the highest paid player at AG on around 16k per week..............needless to say he had to pick me up off the floor after telling me that.

BCAGFC

ha ha ha.

like hell he's on that amount.

BCAGFC

i think you will find that it is per fortnight....... get your facts right unless you were being sarcastic of course

Reading this makes it sound like he's only ever been paid by Bristol City. Don't forget he would have made a fair amount from his transfer from Yeovil to Hearts, with a good signing on fee and I would assume a better weekly wage than he initially got paid here. Then given he didn't ask for a transfer he would have pocketed £X from Hearts on leaving and another signing on fee from us just as any othere player would get. I'm not sure how City pay their bonuses but if it's on final placings he would have done alright in our promotion season and the play-off season after.

Whatever your opinion of LJ's ability, and everyone's entitled to their own opinion, he is being paid the amount he and the club have decided he is worth not what you or I feel he's is. This is the way in professional sport. But the fact he has increased his wealth due to investing in property I would have to say well done that man, looking to the future and safegaurding it for himself and his young family rather than blowing it on flash cars and payboy lifestyle shows he is a well grounded, responsible young man. Players have a short career and the more intelligent of them appreciate this and invest for the time it ends. Some like LJ go into property whilst others like Mick Channon and Micky Quinn have followed their dream and become Race Horse Trainers. I think little Lee should be respected for this unlike a certain Leroy Lita who became the "Big I Am" so well done to him and I hope he goes on to become a millionaire property developer. But if he does I can't somehow see him returning to sink his money into this club given the stick he takes can you?

Just for the record I do believe that players wages are obscene but that's supply and demand for you, thank Jimmy Hill for abolishing the maximum wage.

You have summed up it in my opion anyone with half a brain views, he has been clever, thinking of life after football, look at the sad stories of players having to sell medals to put food on the table, and people on here saying how much is he on ETC. A footballers career is short, no pension, no chance of progression, you as a player in the years of your life 18-35 have to maximises your earnings. Clever players invest for there future. Well done done to him.

You have summed up it in my opion anyone with half a brain views, he has been clever, thinking of life after football, look at the sad stories of players having to sell medals to put food on the table, and people on here saying how much is he on ETC. A footballers career is short, no pension, no chance of progression, you as a player in the years of your life 18-35 have to maximises your earnings. Clever players invest for there future. Well done done to him.

Don't buy it.

20-30 years ago yes, but when your lower end championship player is earning in the region of 250k per year (rightly or wrongly) over 12 years of thier prime, your looking at £3m

If someone can't live on that sort if money even if they stop earning at 35, then they have a problem

No senior player at City will have to work into thier 50's/60's like some of us have too

So please don't spout ball crap about it's a short career when your talking about people who will be millionaires before they are 30

Don't buy it.

20-30 years ago yes, but when your lower end championship player is earning in the region of 250k per year (rightly or wrongly) over 12 years of thier prime, your looking at £3m

If someone can't live on that sort if money even if they stop earning at 35, then they have a problem

No senior player at City will have to work into thier 50's/60's like some of us have too

So please don't spout ball crap about it's a short career when your talking about people who will be millionaires before they are 30

it is a short career. Thats not ball crap (whatever that is) its fact.

some invest the money for their familys future others piss it up the wall. Fair play to those who make it work for them.

footballers are overpaid in my opinion. I base that on the fact they get paid more than the business an afford on turnover alone in most cases.

but in relative terms I think we've had a better return on Lee Johnson than a large number of others who've been and gone in the time he's been here. Nearly always fit and available when needed and the club has done pretty well for most of the time he's played for us.

he's not a worldbeater of course but he's not crap and out of his depth as many seem to say he is. I think he's coming to the end of his time with us now and may drop down a level but I think its unfair to suggest we've got promoted and been competitive for 3 seasons in the Championship while carrying him.

Nationally the Right to buy legislation was introduced during her time as PM.

However you should be aware that the Labour controlled BCC were already selling its council houses at discounted sums long before this.

Not making a political point as I have little respect for any of them, just pointing out the facts.

Not at the same discounted price offered by her government,up to 70% if I remember rightly[could be wrong,I'm sure you've have the facts to hand].

Not at the same discounted price offered by her government,up to 70% if I remember rightly[could be wrong,I'm sure you've have the facts to hand].

I can't recall what the discount was under the right to buy scheme as I had moved on from that area work. If it was 70% then that was a very good discount and the scheme run by the council prior to that was not that generous.

When I was involved, the council houses were being sold at "investment" value. I.E. at a figure which was based on there being a sitting tenant, which there was of course, 9 times out of 10 being that person being the one wanting to buy it.

This was roughly around 2/3rds of what was considered market value with vacant possession.

Everything seemed cheaper back then.

Houses, watching footie, players wages, petrol, etc etc!! :rolleyes:

**** me, I've read some crap on here lately, but this just about tops it

So what if he's on £6k / £11k / £16k a week - if that's the going rate, then that's all there is to it. I asked my boss for a raise last week, so now I have to go benchmark similar roles in the industry to see who is paying what. I'm guessing that's what football clubs do too. I get the going rate for my job, a Championship midfielder gets his. That's the way of the world, get over it. Would I swap places with him, hell yeah. Do I think he's overpaid, hell yeah. That's not the point

He'd get more kudo's from having a spit roast down town with a team mate on a Saturday night than looking after his family

Good luck Lee, nice to see one of our lot being sensible with his money

I can't recall what the discount was under the right to buy scheme as I had moved on from that area work. If it was 70% then that was a very good discount and the scheme run by the council prior to that was not that generous.

When I was involved, the council houses were being sold at "investment" value. I.E. at a figure which was based on there being a sitting tenant, which there was of course, 9 times out of 10 being that person being the one wanting to buy it.

This was roughly around 2/3rds of what was considered market value with vacant possession.

Everything seemed cheaper back then.

Houses, watching footie, players wages, petrol, etc etc!! :rolleyes:

Thing is selling off of the council housing stock was short sighted who ever sold it.The shortage of affordable housing is now a major problem in this country.We need to get building now.

Archived