IGNORED

Season Ticket Prices Out.

Dollymarie

Are you retarded?

Business studies covers a decent number of modules. But yeh of course there are plenty of economists, accountants, consultants and traders at the bottom of the ladder.. . . . . . .

Not at all retarded my learned friend, simply a realist.

Simply wishing to point out that there are a lot of students out there who go for the 'easy' option just to continue bumming around for a few years. Business Studies can no doubt be a good module if you follow it up with Economy, Accountancy etc, but lets face it, most people are not taking Business Studies to get a career at Deloittes are they?

Not at all retarded my learned friend, simply a realist.

Simply wishing to point out that there are a lot of students out there who go for the 'easy' option just to continue bumming around for a few years. Business Studies can no doubt be a good module if you follow it up with Economy, Accountancy etc, but lets face it, most people are not taking Business Studies to get a career at Deloittes are they?

Course, I agree, alot are just plebs taking an easy ride. But alot of people are trying to get a career that way.

Not at all, I am self funding my education actually and am training to teach!(which hopefully you will agree is quite an important subject) so not creaming any benefits or taxpayers money!

and I do work a job, and have a child to support and pay a mortgage,

Good on ya fella. I'm glad you have a lovely life, a job, a mortgage, a child and are able to self fund your further education. You must feel pretty swell, huh?

So, the fact that you work and earn a living - With this in mind, what sets you out as a special case to be able to qualify for a discount in your season ticket? Please tell me why you expect something to be given to you on plate that you can probably afford more than some of the hard working factory workers or labourers out there who barely earn enough to keep themselves and their families in a home, and yet they still wish to have the pleasure (?) of watching their team. What puts you on that pedestal?

Being in a top job I reckon I got it sussed just fine thanks son.

I'm campaigning for reduced Season Ticket prices for retired folk under 60, that's where I plan to be pretty damn soon.

With all due respect mate if you're lucky enough to be able to retire before the national retirement age then I suspect you've got well paid job and with retire with a healthy pension. I suspect you could afford to get a full price season ticket.

The student issue is a total PR disaster and for 3 years I took up the cheap st offer. I know the system is open to abuse but this should be a issue to be raised with the sales department rather than take the deal away.

In general at a time when everyone is feeling the pinch I think the prices announced are pretty fair for championship football.

No, I will be paying for my University fees. I will pay back those fee's over time and contribute more to the country because of my degree in income tax.

I usually agree with you Harry, on most things. But you're truely being a complete dick head over this. To de-value further education and catergorise all students as "lazy" is utterly pathetic and I can only assume you didn't get in? didn't attain the grades?

Your stereotyping of students is as bad as thinking all people without work are spongers...

ever thought the guy without the job didn't work hard enough to keep his job? many different circumstances for many different people, but you seem about as open minded as Nick Griffin.

Hi Jordan. Firstly I've not categorised 'all' students as lazy. I used the phrase 'most students'. As I've answered in the previous couple of posts, I am fully aware that there are a lot of students who are pursuing a fully fledged career and have actively made a choice to make some sacrifices in the short term in order to benefit in the long term. However, there are also lots out there who are in it for the stereotypical 'student lifestyle' and have no intentions of becoming a high earner. I've seen it with my own eyes. Over the years I've worked with literally hundreds of folk who've been to Uni and made nothing of themselves. Under the new Government legislation, they wouldn't be capable of earning enough money to even begin paying off their fees (assuming they bring in the £21k threshold). Ultimately this would mean that they have had a few extra years off the state for zero self contribution.

I sincerely wish you all the best young fella. Make sure you pursue your chosen career and don't end up coming out the back of 4 years finding yourself earning £12k and touting yourself around a few employment agencies.

In answer to your assumption regards my own grades, I can assure you I took my GCSE's and scored incredibly well. If I had chosen to do so I could have attained entry into most Uni's in the Country. However, being from a single-parent family, hard-up and experiencing troubling times I knew the best place for me was in the workplace, so I started earning at 16 years of age. I now do very well for myself and am happy with the choices I made.

Not entirely sure about your final comments fella. A lot of people have lost their jobs in the last 18 months for no reason of their own, it's nothing to do with their own performance. Also, not too enamoured with the Griffin comment?

I agree with you Jordan, I pay for my university fees and I also work part time almost 30 hours a week and literally have nothing in my pocket. I'm doing to to give myself the best opportunity to do what I want in the future! Personally I'm fed up of hearing how the so call "taxpayer" is meant to be doing me so many favours! Thats almost as laughable as saying this government is helping young people get into work!

Good for you mate. You work 30 hours a week and are funding your education with this. I'm with you baby, I'm on your side.

However, there are millions who work longer hours than you, probably earning less than you, and they do it to give themselves the best opportunity to survive. Where's their season ticket discount. You work, you earn and you also learn. Why should you be entitled to a discount as much as the next man?

That's the life choices you make. Short term sacrifice for long term benefit. During those sacrificial years, you might only be able to do the things that you can afford to do.

Lets also be straight with this though. The Government do fund the majority of students. Most of those who are not self-funding are not always necessarily in it for the long haul. It's those types to which I throw my rage.

Jeez, I thought the prices were quite good to start with....

The student argument here appears to be down to two main factors; either (1) I can't afford it or (2) The club run the risk of losing my support

(2) is easy. Yes, thats undoubted. But by the same token, I'd argue that once you're the age to be a uni student its in the blood and you'll always be a fan. At various stages in life (kids, job losses, mortgages, and, yes, uni) people have less money or more commitments but we don't cease to be city fans and come back more regularly as and when circumstances/finances demand. Football fans unfortunately are captive. Sainsburys too expensive? Go to Asda. City too expensive? Is Rovers really an option? I'd say the club have dropped a bigger ball with the U7 tickets, as thats when most people get the bug...

Now (1). Didn't go to uni. Had the choice, had offers, chose not to. Why? Financially, at that time, it didn't work. If I had gone, could I afford a full price ticket - nope. However, if I lost my job, could I afford a season ticket - nope. And with kids and a mortgage, it'd be a squeeze now even in good employment. The ultimate angle here is that you've made the choice to go to uni. I don't doubt you have to pay, but how many students are doing it for altruistic reasons? You're doing it to earn more money than the bloke that didn't go to uni and better yourself - I applaud that, but saying you should get a ticket cheaper than a bloke who's working 45 hours a week just to make ends meet feels wrong. When you're earning more than that bloke will you be petitioning for him to get a discount...?

Hi Jordan. Firstly I've not categorised 'all' students as lazy. I used the phrase 'most students'. As I've answered in the previous couple of posts, I am fully aware that there are a lot of students who are pursuing a fully fledged career and have actively made a choice to make some sacrifices in the short term in order to benefit in the long term. However, there are also lots out there who are in it for the stereotypical 'student lifestyle' and have no intentions of becoming a high earner. I've seen it with my own eyes. Over the years I've worked with literally hundreds of folk who've been to Uni and made nothing of themselves. Under the new Government legislation, they wouldn't be capable of earning enough money to even begin paying off their fees (assuming they bring in the £21k threshold). Ultimately this would mean that they have had a few extra years off the state for zero self contribution.

I sincerely wish you all the best young fella. Make sure you pursue your chosen career and don't end up coming out the back of 4 years finding yourself earning £12k and touting yourself around a few employment agencies.

In answer to your assumption regards my own grades, I can assure you I took my GCSE's and scored incredibly well. If I had chosen to do so I could have attained entry into most Uni's in the Country. However, being from a single-parent family, hard-up and experiencing troubling times I knew the best place for me was in the workplace, so I started earning at 16 years of age. I now do very well for myself and am happy with the choices I made.

Not entirely sure about your final comments fella. A lot of people have lost their jobs in the last 18 months for no reason of their own, it's nothing to do with their own performance. Also, not too enamoured with the Griffin comment?

Sorry, the comments about Griffin were born out of frustration/defensiveness. I just get fed up of defending myself, I know you have a negative view of students but I don't think I personally or many of my friends deserve that "stereotype".

What I will say is this, there are as many people who haven't gone to Uni and done nothing, just as there are many who have gone to Uni and achieved much more than they could without further education. I personally aspire to become a Teacher, though the level at which I teach is still undecided. The easiest route for me to do this is to go to Universtiy and get a degree (Shockingly any degree is valid, one aspect of the system I disagree with) before I take a PGCE. As I'm still slightly undecided as to what level of Education I wish to become a part of I have chosen a subject that keeps all options open, Modern History.

I will also be retaining a part time job, and commuting from Weston to Cardiff. I will recieve my tuition fees and around £4000 from the government of which £2000 is a grant (courtesy of my single parent families annual wage falling below a certain amount)

So, If I budgeted properly, I probably could afford "full whack" But, most students can't. The workload for some students (Psychology for example, which I think you wrongly used as a negative course choice) is so high that maintaining a part time job is nigh on impossible, So they must make do with the money they are loaned. I personally think we should be making as many concessions to those who have less financial clout as we can, in order to increase attendances and "get them hooked"

In a seperate point, it seems most posters on forums achieved high grades and are in "top jobs", Although not neccessarily in your case, it seems very suspect at times!!!

In the main, I think students as a whole get a rough ride from the public/media, Yes there is a "lifestyle" attached to it, but there is also a lot of hard work too.

Apparently there are only 20 current season ticket holders who are students and 21+ years of age...hard to believe, but these are the numbers coming out of the club so I have heard. Vis-a-vis the whole student debate, I think it's pretty common knowledge that over the course of a career the average graduate earns six figures more than a non-graduate. You can spin this facts whichever way you wish and indeed interpret them at your will however I think's it somewhat short-sighted and blinkered to say that everyone else in the country in subsiding students to piss money up the wall whilst in all likelihood it'll be the current generation in education having to bear the brunt of the downturn in the jobs market and indeed then further down the line having to work and support an ever aging population. Some people need to stop reading the Daily Fail ;)

Good on ya fella. I'm glad you have a lovely life, a job, a mortgage, a child and are able to self fund your further education. You must feel pretty swell, huh?

So, the fact that you work and earn a living - With this in mind, what sets you out as a special case to be able to qualify for a discount in your season ticket? Please tell me why you expect something to be given to you on plate that you can probably afford more than some of the hard working factory workers or labourers out there who barely earn enough to keep themselves and their families in a home, and yet they still wish to have the pleasure (?) of watching their team. What puts you on that pedestal?

I just cannot believe your attitude towards this topic, It seems that you think you can label students, their career aspirations and how they should and could spend the money they have. I also find it utterly disrepectful the way you undermine students and graduates that may find it difficult to gain employment after their education, what this comes down to is that the club have scrapped the student pricing scheme because of the abuse it has taken from the obviously hard working labourers and factory workers who cannot also afford the full price and feel they can deceive the club they support so that they can throw their spare money against public house lavatories, harsh comment?? no.... seeing as you feel you can belittle students!!

Your stereotypical view on student lifestyle is quite the opposite to the reality of my chosen course and I would more than welcome you to visit my course and you could air your views to the others....then i'd let you decide for yourself, and you will hopefully retract some of the things you have said!!

Your probably thinking huh, 1.45am he obviously has had too many shandies, has a kebab in his lap and a traffic cone on his head!!

I am not wanting to be on any pedestal, I just wanted to know why they still have an under 21 scheme, an over 65 yet no student rate.....

Can I transfer from my existing 2010/11 seat to a new seat in 2011/12?

Yes, but please note that transferring your seat will be subject to an administration fee of £10 covering the issue of a new smart card. In addition, the only seats available to transfer into until May 16th will be those not currently in use by a 2010/11 season card holder. As a result seats are not available for transfer into the Wedlock Stand or Premier Seating. A seat transfer week will be held between 16-20 May when you opt to change your seat to one not claimed by a current season card holder before ALL remaining seats are put on general sale from June 1.

£10 quid smart card admin charge?

That seem a bit unfair/profiteering to anyone else?

So an existing ST holder who has previously spent a significant amount of money supporting the club decides ' I fancy sitting somewhere else for a change this year ' ... has to pay through the nose for the privaledge... or stay put ....seems wrong to me for the club to be charging a tenner.

Wonder what they'ed say to a supporter wishing to change seats & maybe even upgrade to a dearer seat when he says ' I aint prepared to pay £10 extra for the bloody smartcard though ' .... ' if you insist on charging me that on top of the seat price then stuff it, I'll still swap seats ok but it will be to my sofa at home, renew? forget it ! .

Would they really cut off their nose to spite their face by letting that supporter walk away? (with several hundred quid still in his pocket & a bitter taste in his mouth) - or show some mutual loyalty to the fan, forego the ten quid surcharge, keep a happy supporter & add a few hundred quid to clubs coffers??

No, I will be paying for my University fees. I will pay back those fee's over time and contribute more to the country because of my degree in income tax.

I usually agree with you Harry, on most things. But you're truely being a complete dick head over this. To de-value further education and catergorise all students as "lazy" is utterly pathetic and I can only assume you didn't get in? didn't attain the grades?

Your stereotyping of students is as bad as thinking all people without work are spongers...

ever thought the guy without the job didn't work hard enough to keep his job? many different circumstances for many different people, but you seem about as open minded as Nick Griffin.

I think the reason he is so infuriated is the one line in the arguement about "not caring about the man who lost his job"

There are plenty of people who are jobless and bumming it, but due to the sh*t state this country is in, there are plenty of people out there who have lost jobs and have really struggled to pay bills and mortgages. I know a few friends who work as scaffolders, brick layers etc.....and due to work dropping off, they have lost their jobs. Lots of jobs out there? yeah a solicitors firm are really going to take on a former "bricky" are tehy.....come on, its almost as if one minute he is moaning about people thinking all students are bums, whilst at the same time saying all people who dont have a job are creaming benefits and have no interest in getting a job

I totally agree with students being able to get reduced ticket rates, as I put earlier in this thread. However, the "I dont care about the man with no job" post really piss*ed me off to!

I work as a Postie, its sh*t pay but what always made it a good job was plenty of overtime opportunities. Thats been cut back, so as it stands, next season, I may not be able to afford a season ticket for the first time in 16 years (although after this season, could be a blessing).

Some people are so selfish, that all they care about is themselves. They dont give two sh*ts about anyone elses problems as long as it dont effect them, Stillmorecider appears to be one of them

I just cannot believe your attitude towards this topic, It seems that you think you can label students, their career aspirations and how they should and could spend the money they have. I also find it utterly disrepectful the way you undermine students and graduates that may find it difficult to gain employment after their education, what this comes down to is that the club have scrapped the student pricing scheme because of the abuse it has taken from the obviously hard working labourers and factory workers who cannot also afford the full price and feel they can deceive the club they support so that they can throw their spare money against public house lavatories, harsh comment?? no.... seeing as you feel you can belittle students!!

Your stereotypical view on student lifestyle is quite the opposite to the reality of my chosen course and I would more than welcome you to visit my course and you could air your views to the others....then i'd let you decide for yourself, and you will hopefully retract some of the things you have said!!

Your probably thinking huh, 1.45am he obviously has had too many shandies, has a kebab in his lap and a traffic cone on his head!!

I am not wanting to be on any pedestal, I just wanted to know why they still have an under 21 scheme, an over 65 yet no student rate.....

It would make this post so much better if you were........

<br />Mmm, how  very considerate of you.<br />You don't care about the the bloke who's lost his job, has a mortgage to pay, kids to feed, bills to pay, perhaps has the threat of being kicked out of his home - all through no real fault of his own - simply an economic crisis.<br />Well, if you don't give a ** about him then I'm sure he doesn't give a ** about you.  Whining students, trying to claim discounts for simply being in further education.  As you said, there's plenty of jobs out there, so why don't you work a part-time job on evenings or weekends, earn your way.  As for creaming benefits, who's paying for your education?  That's right, the taxpayer.  Oh, you'll pay it off in the end (well assuming you're intelligent enough to work a real job earning more than £21k pa), but in the meantime you're the one who's creaming it.<br />Most of you students are simply there to layabout for an extra couple of years, taking 'Business Studies or Psychology' or some such other crap that'll stand you in no good stead in the wider market, in a couple of years time you'll find yourself on the bottom rung of some admin job, or jockeying a cash till at tesco, something you could have done 3 years ago and got yourself a couple of promotions since.  You're just wasting your own time, and wasting the Country's cash.<br />If you want to stay on in further education, get yourself a part-time job and pay your way.  You've got as much right to a discounted season ticket as the bloke who's lost his job and needs help and support.  If he can't afford it cuz he has to cut back and prioritise, then you should do the same.  Why should you students be a special case??<br />
&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br /><br />

You absolutely smack of bitterness, resentment and most of all jealousy.<br /><br />What are you, some kind of working class hero? Should i strike up The Internacionale?

The fact is full time students don't have much money. If anything kids like me who came from families who had fork all and still tried to get an education have even less at Uni, despite the government feeding you sh!t that 'poor' kids get a good deal, so student prices were very welcome for me.

My education paid off, my parents are proud of me and with the decent job i now have, this season i'll be buying a family season ticket as i never lost touch with the Super Reds.

If you really were on the side of the working class unemployed man with a family, you would realise that a decent socialist state helps ALL those who needs it, whether it's help whilst trying to find work or help whilst trying to better themselves and incresase job opportunities through firther education.

Something bad happened to you and you obviously carry it around.

Let it go mate.

The country would be a better place if we looked after each other rather than the Thatcherite look after yourself mentality.

perk of supporting a big club mate, successful over the years n all.

Well Bates has said 'If you want Premier League football you have to pay Premier League prices'.

You can imagine how inspiring that felt sat in League One for three years :dancing2: .

I've got two weeks to get the forms in to take advantage of my super 'early renewal' offer. £516 for my seat, the cheapest adult area in the ground.

I would love to tell them where to stick it, but I just can't. :(

&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br /><br />

You absolutely smack of bitterness, resentment and most of all jealousy.<br /><br />What are you, some kind of working class hero? Should i strike up The Internacionale?

The fact is full time students don't have much money. If anything kids like me who came from families who had fork all and still tried to get an education have even less at Uni, despite the government feeding you sh!t that 'poor' kids get a good deal, so student prices were very welcome for me.

My education paid off, my parents are proud of me and with the decent job i now have, this season i'll be buying a family season ticket as i never lost touch with the Super Reds.

If you really were on the side of the working class unemployed man with a family, you would realise that a decent socialist state helps ALL those who needs it, whether it's help whilst trying to find work or help whilst trying to better themselves and incresase job opportunities through firther education.

Something bad happened to you and you obviously carry it around.

Let it go mate.

The country would be a better place if we looked after each other rather than the Thatcherite look after yourself mentality.

I can see things from both sides.

I was a student back in the 90s and every discount came in really helpful, even without the massive debts students rack up today.

But I guess the question is also about where in life students should receive such discounts. Things like train travel (often a necessity) are excellent candidates for a discount as a student often NEEDS this service to get by. But should a line be drawn? I guess it comes down to indiviudiual businesses and where they think affordability starts and stops for different groups versus the need to actually make a profit? I don't see students up in arms because they don't get a discount on food and heating fuel - the things that really matter - that's where a discount should exist if at all, less so on non-essential leisure activity.

Do I think a local TV shop should offer discounts to students? No - but if they feel they can increase their profits by doing so then go ahead. A sale with a smaller margin is often better than no margin at all. But if a business feels they may even make a loss in doing so then then are perfectly within their rights to treat students like everyone else - almost all businesses do just that.

The one ingredient added to the BCFC mix is one of social responsibility (which will mean different things to different people). For that reason BCFC isn't like every other business where you can shop around etc. It is tied to the city and people of Bristol and isn't just there to make money (if only it did!).

Its a difficult one and, for me, there is no completely right answer to appease all, but the lack of notice on this is surely upsetting people as much as anything. It kind of says, we couldn't be bothered to let you know so you're not really that important to us, even if that wasn't that intention.

Aside from the lack of communication on this if the club feels it will lose money by offering a discount then it must address this. People like to think that the club owes them something for their support - its spouted all the time. But I would rather view the club as a collective effort - its not SL's responsibilty to offer loss-leading tickets even though he may have done in the past.

Personally (lets assume we are starting from scratch) I would say a discount for students of 10-15% is a fairer approach, rather than the deals previously on offer. That, for me, strikes a balance and its the kind of discount offered on presentation of NUS cards through many business outlets.

No right answer here lads and lasses, but change, as much as anything else, is what people don't like.

Hi reddoc - I simply used Business Studies & Psychology as examples. I have nothing in particular against anyone who wants to follow that particular vocation and become a success. I could easily have used Sports Science, Media, Sociology as other examples of what you could label as an 'easier' degree. For a lot of people taking these courses, they are probably passionate about it and are actively looking for a career in this area, but on the flip side there are no doubt plenty of students who simply take these courses just to while away the years without working.

I do not wish to appear ignorant, but this is my opinion based on my own experiences of life. Where I work, pretty much every other person that comes through the door as a new recruit has been to Uni, taken one of the 'easier' options, wasted 3 or 4 years of their life and ended up starting at the bottom of the ladder on a below average wage. Makes no sense to me, I'd rather be out there earning from day 1.

Thanks Harry, that's a fair reply. Actually tend to agree with you on many points regarding the relevance of many of the courses on offer today, although in fairness to the students who take them, in my experience they appear to take the work much more seriously than we did a few years back.

The psychology bit was probably a bad choice and in fairness, despite the popularity of the degree very few of them end up as practising psychotherapists that I can access.

Do feel sorry for a lot of these students though. We have a government and an education system that actively pushes them into higher education in order to attain a degree that's unlikely to contribute to their job prospects or be relevant to their future career and then the rest of us tell them they're a drain on the tax payer and their course is worthless. Can't win. And they have to pay full price for a season ticket.....

<br />I can see things from both sides.<br /><br />I was a student back in the 90s and every discount came in really helpful, even without the massive debts students rack up today.<br /><br />But I guess the question is also about where in life students should receive such discounts.  Things like train travel (often a necessity) are excellent candidates for a discount as a student often NEEDS this service to get by.  But should a line be drawn?  I guess it comes down to indiviudiual businesses and where they think affordability starts and stops for different groups versus the need to actually make a profit?  I don't see students up in arms because they don't get a discount on food and heating fuel - the things that really matter - that's where a discount should exist if at all, less so on non-essential leisure activity.<br /><br />Do I think a local TV shop should offer discounts to students?  No - but if they feel they can increase their profits by doing so then go ahead.  A sale with a smaller margin is often better than no margin at all.  But if a business feels they may even make a loss in doing so then then are perfectly within their rights to treat students like everyone else - almost all businesses do just that.<br /><br />The one ingredient added to the BCFC mix is one of social responsibility (which will mean different things to different people).  For that reason BCFC isn't like every other business where you can shop around etc.  It is tied to the city and people of Bristol and isn't just there to make money (if only it did!).<br /><br />Its a difficult one and, for me, there is no completely right answer to appease all, but the lack of notice on this is surely upsetting people as much as anything.  It kind of says, we couldn't be bothered to let you know so you're not really that important to us, even if that wasn't that intention.<br /><br />Aside from the lack of communication on this if the club feels it will lose money by offering a discount then it must address this.  People like to think that the club owes them something for their support - its spouted all the time.  But I would rather view the club as a collective effort - its not SL's responsibilty to offer loss-leading tickets even though he may have done in the past.<br /><br />Personally (lets assume we are starting from scratch) I would say a discount for students of 10-15% is a fairer approach, rather than the deals previously on offer.  That, for me, strikes a balance and its the kind of discount offered on presentation of NUS cards through many business outlets.<br /><br />No right answer here lads and lasses, but change, as much as anything else, is what people don't like.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

A good post with some valid points.

The only one i think i can add to is where do student discounts start and end.

I guess this comes back to an earlier post i made about expanding your market. The fact is football is an expensive game to attend. Where as i wouldn't expect students to get 10% off of a mars bar, if the club are selling something in excess of £300 (even £400) and wish to maximise their growth then discounting it to a section of society of which a proportion of our fans will be, have been or currently are, makes sense.

There is a valid point "well whats the difference between an unemployed man or a student", but essentially it's easier to bracket groups in society, OAP's, students, etc, which are more or less definite, as opposed to trying bracket an "unemployed sector". What if they are unemployed for 1 week? what if they find a temporary 3 month contract which pays well in the middle of the season, then get laid off?

By taking away the Full-Time student option, the club are almost throwing their toys out of the pram and saying "fine, none of you can have it then".

For the record, when i left education, my first few jobs were on sh!t pay and i literally watched city a handful of times in a season. It's a sickner yes, but that was life.

<br />Thanks Harry, that's a fair reply. Actually tend to agree with you on many points regarding the relevance of many of the courses on offer today, although in fairness to the students who take them, in my experience they appear to take the work much more seriously than we did a few years back.<br />  The psychology bit was probably a bad choice and in fairness, despite the popularity of the degree very few of them end up as practising psychotherapists that I can access.<br />   Do feel sorry for a lot of these students though. We have a government and an education system that actively pushes them into higher education in order to attain a degree that's unlikely to contribute to their job prospects or be relevant to their future career and then the rest of us tell them they're a drain on the tax payer and their course is worthless. Can't win. And they have to pay full price for a season ticket.....<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Completely agree with the comment regarding kids being pushed into it.

I felt pushed into it and never really enjoyed the experience, just got on with it.

I would have mych rather someone sat me down at school and said you might get good exam results, but you don't like writing papers, you prefer manual work, is there something else you would rather do?

There are too many wishy washy degrees and not enough tied to a vocation. That said,my experience was no matter what you were studying you still had very little money.

Good for you mate. You work 30 hours a week and are funding your education with this. I'm with you baby, I'm on your side.

However, there are millions who work longer hours than you, probably earning less than you, and they do it to give themselves the best opportunity to survive. Where's their season ticket discount. You work, you earn and you also learn. Why should you be entitled to a discount as much as the next man?

That's the life choices you make. Short term sacrifice for long term benefit. During those sacrificial years, you might only be able to do the things that you can afford to do.

Lets also be straight with this though. The Government do fund the majority of students. Most of those who are not self-funding are not always necessarily in it for the long haul. It's those types to which I throw my rage.

Just want to clarify I'm not asking for any discounts personally as I think a ticket in the eastend is reasonable enough value as it is.....my point was that the club could have just clarified on the website what the situation was with student tickets. Even though I'm a student because I'm not classed as full time student even though I'm at uni 2 and a half days a week so I wasn't entitled to a discount for this season so I paid a for a full price adult ticket in the eastend on finance. £60 a month is tough and if I renew again this season it will be hard for another 5 months for me. Luckily I do work 30 hours a week on top off being at uni so if i scrimp on everything i can find the monthly instalments somehow, but I know there are people who have alot less than me.

But students aren't the problem in this country, contrary to what the perception is. The banks have caused this mess and should pay the tax payer back first before they start handing out millions of pounds worth of bonuses, we give far to much away to other countries and spending £9 billion for 3 weeks of track and field events is almost beyond the joke!

But like you said in one of your previous posts if anyone wants to go to City badly enough whether they are a student, unemployed or whatever they will find the money somehow, I probably won't renew until the may as I just don't have the spare income at the moment.

But students aren't the problem in this country, contrary to what the perception is. The banks have caused this mess and should pay the tax payer back first before they start handing out millions of pounds worth of bonuses, we give far to much away to other countries and spending £9 billion for 3 weeks of track and field events is almost beyond the joke!

Insofar as its the banks fault if someone borrows money they can't afford to pay back?

I don't really buy it. The banks made some atrocious errors, but the public just seems to want a scapegoat and the banks fit the bill.

If everyone who borrowed money in the first place took the time to work out how they were going to pay it back and took a little more personal responsibility we might not be in this mess.

The even greater problem now is public overspending.

Let's not fall into the trap of taking the easy option when choosing that scapegoat.

Insofar as its the banks fault if someone borrows money they can't afford to pay back?

I don't really buy it. The banks made some atrocious errors, but the public just seems to want a scapegoat and the banks fit the bill.

If everyone who borrowed money in the first place took the time to work out how they were going to pay it back and took a little more personal responsibility we might not be in this mess.

The even greater problem now is public overspending.

Let's not fall into the trap of taking the easy option when choosing that scapegoat.

Surely it is the Banks responsibility to be prudent with their money and selective over who they lend to? If people are desperate for a Loan they are not going to think about paying it back...

Facts are, at 18 I was told by my bank manager I would be able to get a mortgage such was my apparent credit rating... Now, I don't know much about Banks, but that MUST be wrong somewhere.

Surely it is the Banks responsibility to be prudent with their money and selective over who they lend to? If people are desperate for a Loan they are not going to think about paying it back...

Facts are, at 18 I was told by my bank manager I would be able to get a mortgage such was my apparent credit rating... Now, I don't know much about Banks, but that MUST be wrong somewhere.

Yes it is so it is partly their fault.

However, it just wouldn't be popular for the powers that be to lay the blame with the public in general would it?

I've been desperate for a loan in the past and I can promise you I thought about how I was going to pay it back, and did.

Regulation has done very well in recent years removing much personal responsibility from people. Its easier than ever to declare yourself bankrupt. You watch the ads for debt advice and the like - they talk to you like you've had an accident at work and it was someone else's fault and that you deserve to be set free from this wicked debt oppression. Bollux.

Debts don't just disappear, they are carried by businesses and society in general. It stinks.

I agree with you, especially on the subject of Bankruptcy, Isn't it treated like a crime in some countries? But I do beleive that the Banks cannot blame anyone but themselves for this.

I've heard stories from before I was born that people had to have INTERVIEWS for loans! now you can apply online? seems a little bit Blasé to me!

The most annoying thing about the entire financial downturn is that it was entirely avoidable if the worlds Banks had been more prudent and considered when they handed out money left right and centre, It can be no coincidence that the "borrowing culture" was born in a direct parrallel to the loosening of Loan restrictions.

Archived