IGNORED

The Aim

nebristolred

We are 5 points off 12th placed Watford, who have a game in hand over us. I think 12th should be the aim for us to finish this year.

Not sure how many know this but we haven't finished outside of the top half of the table since 1999 when we got relegated from this league. I think this is a pretty impressive record, and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that our average league finishing position is the 6th highest in the country, behind the "big 4" and Reading.

We need to keep this record going, and it gives us a target for the end of the season.

sounds like a sensible aim.

I reckon the target in the dressing room is 60 points which they can achieve with just over 1.5 points per game but will depend on what defenders we have available from here in among other things. That would get roughly 12th place and would be a good finish to the season.

Most fans would be happy with a top half finish but I'd be surprised that if after the recent improvements in form Millen wouldn't aiming for an average of 2 points a game from here on in. Another 24 would put City on a vert respectable 65 points. To reach that total after where City were after 10 games would be a tremendous achievement.

Problem now that Carey is out is who Millen recruits at right back. Ribiero and Skuse are both injured as well and Hunt very out of favour. Edwards is a possibilty but has zero experience. We could see a loan player coming in before the Coventry game.

Most fans would be happy with a top half finish but I'd be surprised that if after the recent improvements in form Millen wouldn't aiming for an average of 2 points a game from here on in. Another 24 would put City on a vert respectable 65 points. To reach that total after where City were after 10 games would be a tremendous achievement.

Problem now that Carey is out is who Millen recruits at right back. Ribiero and Skuse are both injured as well and Hunt very out of favour. Edwards is a possibilty but has zero experience. We could see a loan player coming in before the Coventry game.

I read that Riberio is fit for saturday, hope its correct. Top half thinks can be done.

We are 5 points off 12th placed Watford, who have a game in hand over us. I think 12th should be the aim for us to finish this year.

Not sure how many know this but we haven't finished outside of the top half of the table since 1999 when we got relegated from this league. I think this is a pretty impressive record, and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that our average league finishing position is the 6th highest in the country, behind the "big 4" and Reading.

We need to keep this record going, and it gives us a target for the end of the season.

Not a chance unless Millen strengthens, and strengthens in depth, at the back. Probably more chance of Gadhafi having dinner with David Cameron.

Why am i not surprised with Millen's latest remarks on the subject?; "i am widening my search" Hello?

The aim is to just keep progressing, which isn't being made any easier by injuries. People seem quick to criticise Millen and act as if we haven't improved over the last 3 or 4 months which is ridiculous because we clearly have. After the mess of pre-season and the Coppell walk out, we had an awful start to the season and were bottom of the league in mid October. 4 months later we're up 8 places to 16th. Sure Keith Millen could have gave me the winning lottery numbers and found a cure to cancer in that time but in reality we're actually not doing half as bad as some seem to think.

The aim is to just keep progressing, which isn't being made any easier by injuries. People seem quick to criticise Millen and act as if we haven't improved over the last 3 or 4 months which is ridiculous because we clearly have. After the mess of pre-season and the Coppell walk out, we had an awful start to the season and were bottom of the league in mid October. 4 months later we're up 8 places to 16th. Sure Keith Millen could have gave me the winning lottery numbers and found a cure to cancer in that time but in reality we're actually not doing half as bad as some seem to think.

We did show signs of improvement early on - but nothing since. We have a few good games (like now for instance) and then we'll look shaky again. Millen cannot organise a team defensively.

if by 'quick to criticise Millen' means since the start of the season then I agree with you; that is how long many have been in disagreement with this appointment and its a tad disingenuous to consider the season so far a period of progress when he took over with the stats showing Played 1 Lost 1 on the board. You acknowledge we had a poor 'start' through October but sort of 'airbrushed' over it as far as KM's responsibility is concerned.

Make no bones about it; this is Millies season and nobody elses; he will stand or fall by it. I wish him luck I really do.

precisely, should have been looking anyway.

Are you saying that Millen hasn't been looking for full back, at least a left sided one for ages? Problem is that decent ones are hard to find.

As for a right back, do you suppose that Millen knew via his crystal ball that Carey would be out with a cracked skull after the Scunny game?

Fact is he's had just two days since Carey's injury.Give the bloke a chance.

We did show signs of improvement early on - but nothing since. We have a few good games (like now for instance) and then we'll look shaky again. Millen cannot organise a team defensively.

Nothing since? Since when? We've won 3 of our last 5 games ffs. We won all 3 of those by at least 2 goals. We got beat by a late goal at in form Leicester and lost a close-ish game to Leeds where we hit the bar and post as well as the ball being cleared off the line several times. And that's not improving? Seriously?

Are you saying that Millen hasn't been looking for full back, at least a left sided one for ages? Problem is that decent ones are hard to find.

As for a right back, do you suppose that Millen knew via his crystal ball that Carey would be out with a cracked skull after the Scunny game?

"widening the search" - was I imagining Carey being played out of position? no, so we needed a right back anyway .

I think the point Robbored, is that Millie should have an insurance policy in place for when such an injury takes place; it is nonsense not to have had cover in crucial positions especially for Macca and Carey; why?.. because the former needs competition and the latter is getting on a bit and prone to getting stuck in and getting injured. In fact Millie has said, like any guy with half a brain would understand, that he needs cover in each position. he does not have it, still and we are 2/3rds through a season... there is no excuse for it and to come out and say he needs to up his search just shows he has little grasp of what he said last month, let alone last week in terms of contradicting himself time and time and time again. He would be far better off, as i have said before, in saying nada; he sets himself up to criticism, maybe he likes it.

Nothing since? Since when? We've won 3 of our last 5 games ffs. We won all 3 of those by at least 2 goals. We got beat by a late goal at in form Leicester and lost a close-ish game to Leeds where we hit the bar and post as well as the ball being cleared off the line several times. And that's not improving? Seriously?

You can pick out a sequence of games to make you feel better all you like. Reality is, as I said before, we'll win a couple of games here and there, but then we'll lose just as many if not more.

And why will we win some? because we have some terrific forwards/wingers - who will win us games. Its a shame millen FAILED to strengthen our defence or midfield - because we may have climbed the table.

As it is, we'll finish in the bottom half - lets hope, come the end of the season, SL see's the problems and acts. I dont think he will tho. He'll want to "give his manager a proper chance" - lets hope when he does make a change, its not too late.

widening the search - was I imagining Carey being played out of position? no, so we needed a right back anyway .

Carey has played many times at right back. If I remember rightly he started his first team career in that position. He's since played more times at center back over his long career but is experienced enough to slip back into a position that he knows well.

Hardly 'out of position'.

i'd say it was the manner of the wins, against scunny we had an embarassment of riches against a very poor side and still looked disorganised, both goals were from mistakes, the free kick fluked everybody and the second was from a mis hit corner ffs, funny but definetly take the win and points

the players didnt seem to be understanding millen, that's only my view though and i only play football for the 5th's so i'm not really qualified to pass judgement, just observing, i did comment to somebody who supports cheltenham town that it's the poorest game i've seen in a long time, like i said though you can't argue with the end result, the win, i just want to stay in the championship

Carey has played many times at right back. If I remember rightly he started his first team career in that position. He's since played more times at center back over his long career but is experienced enough to slip back into a position that he knows well.

Hardly 'out of position'.

Carey's a terrific defender and he is a short-term solution at right back - but nothing more.

He is terrible at going forward from right back - he was'nt very good at league one when he played there - let alone this level!

He is also at the stage in his career where he'll get beaten by pacy wingers time and time again.

You can pick out a sequence of games to make you feel better all you like. Reality is, as I said before, we'll win a couple of games here and there, but then we'll lose just as many if not more.

And why will we win some? because we have some terrific forwards/wingers - who will win us games. Its a shame millen FAILED to strengthen our defence or midfield - because we may have climbed the table.

As it is, we'll finish in the bottom half - lets hope, come the end of the season, SL see's the problems and acts. I dont think he will tho. He'll want to "give his manager a proper chance" - lets hope when he does make a change, its not too late.

Umm this sequence of games is our current form. And yes I am pretty sure we'll lose again some day, that normally happens.

We may have climbed the table? Umm we have climbed the table.. that's why we were bottom of the league in October and now we're 16th. Maybe we've not climbed it as high as we might have liked but the progress is clearly there to see.

Yeah we have some terrific forwards and wingers, mainly because Millen has strengthened that part of our team. Sure he could have built from the back or added patches but it's definitely been improved up front. In the summer, the midfield and defence will also be improved and we'll start to have a good squad again. If by around September/October time next season we're still struggling around the bottom half of the table then fine, blame Millen as much as you want but right now it's just bizarre to knock the manager and someone who's been at the club for over a decade just because some seem to 'have a feeling' that it won't work out.

Perhaps we should get a big name manager in again.. I hear Steve Coppell's still out of work?

Umm this sequence of games is our current form. And yes I am pretty sure we'll lose again some day, that normally happens.

We may have climbed the table? Umm we have climbed the table.. that's why we were bottom of the league in October and now we're 16th. Maybe we've not climbed it as high as we might have liked but the progress is clearly there to see.

Yeah we have some terrific forwards and wingers, mainly because Millen has strengthened that part of our team. Sure he could have built from the back or added patches but it's definitely been improved up front. In the summer, the midfield and defence will also be improved and we'll start to have a good squad again. If by around September/October time next season we're still struggling around the bottom half of the table then fine, blame Millen as much as you want but right now it's just bizarre to knock the manager and someone who's been at the club for over a decade just because some seem to 'have a feeling' that it won't work out.

Perhaps we should get a big name manager in again.. I hear Steve Coppell's still out of work?

Is this the first time we have climbed to 16th? no. we dropped now and now two wins have picked us back up to 16th.

Yeah millen did bring in another winger and striker. Was that a good thing? no. We have an embarassment of riches up front and our wingers we're adequate plus albert.

We have only one full back who is good enough and he is always injured. we have an ageing left back, who is past his sell by a couple of years. He is now injured and we have now got someone who is playing out of position.

I'm glad millen was given a chance - he deserved it. But he has proven that he aint got what it takes - not at this level anyway.

And no, I dont want a big name manager - anything but going by whats available.

Is this the first time we have climbed to 16th? no. we dropped now and now two wins have picked us back up to 16th.

Yeah millen did bring in another winger and striker. Was that a good thing? no. We have an embarassment of riches up front and our wingers we're adequate plus albert.

We have only one full back who is good enough and he is always injured. we have an ageing left back, who is past his sell by a couple of years. He is now injured and we have now got someone who is playing out of position.

I'm glad millen was given a chance - he deserved it. But he has proven that he aint got what it takes - not at this level anyway.

Disagree with that, with Danny Rose recalled and if we hadn't signed Woolford there wouldn't be much options with width, and it was only a month ago we had bare bones upfront, Marlon Jackson was the only backup striker. Now we have some depth and if injuries and suspensions mount up weve got quality replacements.

Disagree with that, with Danny Rose recalled and if we hadn't signed Woolford there wouldn't be much options with width, and it was only a month ago we had bare bones upfront, Marlon Jackson was the only backup striker. Now we have some depth and if injuries and suspensions mount up weve got quality replacements.

Wingers before woolford

Albert

Ivan

Rose

JCR

Full Backs (that are good enough)

Ribiero

We were down to the bare bones with regards to full backs and still are! Rose may have been sent back but millen did'nt know he was going to be when he brought in Woolford.

you talk like he hasnt been looking to strengthen other areas.

does it occur to you that he might of been but hasnt been able to get in the players he feels will improve us in those areas up to now?

signing people for the sake of it is a mistake. Long term its far better to wait for the players you want even if it makes things difficult in the short term.

if it was as easy as saying "we need a right back. I'll get one in this afternoon who wants to come, is better than what we have and we can afford" then every manager would do it.

personally I think Millen has clear targets and thinks we have enough to get through this season if he cant get them in now. Then he'll try again in the summer when club's are more likely to sell because they need money to buy.

you talk like he hasnt been looking to strengthen other areas.

does it occur to you that he might of been but hasnt been able to get in the players he feels will improve us in those areas up to now?

signing people for the sake of it is a mistake. Long term its far better to wait for the players you want even if it makes things difficult in the short term.

if it was as easy as saying "we need a right back. I'll get one in this afternoon who wants to come, is better than what we have and we can afford" then every manager would do it.

personally I think Millen has clear targets and thinks we have enough to get through this season if he cant get them in now. Then he'll try again in the summer when club's are more likely to sell because they need money to buy.

If he has been looking, why does he say he's "widening his search" - that suggest to me, that he was'nt searching as much as he should been?

If he has been looking, why does he say he's "widening his search" - that suggest to me, that he was'nt searching as much as he should been?

he doesnt say that. the article does.

he says this:

"We may not be able to get anybody in but we are always looking."

I don't know how you draw the conclusion that Millen 'ain't got what it takes'. A bit premature imo.

He's had less than one season to impose his own style and philosophy and has been dealing with players (bar one) that are not his own. He's had our main striker Maynard out untill recently and it was largely his goals last season that kept City in the Championship. City recently lost Stead to injury but despite all the difficulties (club in confusion after Coppell walked out) Millen has taken us from bottom of the league to 16th and almost definately safe from relegation.

I think he's done/is doing a decent job.

Next season will a true test of what Millen can do.

Archived