IGNORED

Unbelievable...!

everreddy

What a great match and result, yesterday!

BUT: I just find it UNBELIEVABLE to hear so much energy being put into celebrating the Gas' misfortunes, rather than cheering on our team, and enjoying the experience of a 4 - 1 win away from home. Even at half time, with City 3 - 0 up, the concourse reverberated to "The Gas are going down...." rather than "Can we play you every week?" or other positive chanting in support of the only team in Bristol that really matters.

Personally, I have no problem at all with Rovers - so long as they are at least a division below us. And, revolutionary though it may sound, I'd rather see local fans wearing the colours of Yeovil, Swindon, Bath City, FGR - or even Blue and White quarters - rather than replica shirts representing the latest "top" teams that are miles away, and have no local connections whatsoever.

Rant over...after an uninspiring season, now let the good times roll, with another win in the sequence, against Pompey!

What a great match and result, yesterday!

BUT: I just find it UNBELIEVABLE to hear so much energy being put into celebrating the Gas' misfortunes, rather than cheering on our team, and enjoying the experience of a 4 - 1 win away from home. Even at half time, with City 3 - 0 up, the concourse reverberated to "The Gas are going down...." rather than "Can we play you every week?" or other positive chanting in support of the only team in Bristol that really matters.

Personally, I have no problem at all with Rovers - so long as they are at least a division below us. And, revolutionary though it may sound, I'd rather see local fans wearing the colours of Yeovil, Swindon, Bath City, FGR - or even Blue and White quarters - rather than replica shirts representing the latest "top" teams that are miles away, and have no local connections whatsoever.

Rant over...after an uninspiring season, now let the good times roll, with another win in the sequence, against Pompey!

It's all about bragging rights in the pubs, clubs, and workplaces of the West Country. If we stay up and the Gas are relegated we'll be more than a division above the Gas for the first time since 1911 !!!!!!

Well ok, it;s hands up time..........YES I do revel in the misfortune of the Gas. Stood outside the Ricoh at half time, having a smoke, the group of previously unknown lads I was talking with were of the opinion that weeks don't get much better than this. Saino's approved, City 3 up and the Gas a goal and a man down!

Does this mean I have a Gas fixation? Does it bullox...........just now being in a position to recover from all of the grief I and other City lads had on the day we were at the very bottom of the pile feels absolutely top notch.

Having played footy for a good few years in the area, plus in Wales and the MIdlands, I always think of the Gas as the cocky long haired youth who ran rings round me for a spell in the first half, before succumbing to a Jacko Special after half an hour!

Obviously for the benefit of the referee I would help the lad up from the floor, but accidentally stand on his hair as I pulled him up!!!!!!

The Gasheads have been trying to get bragging rights over us for years and all they can hang their hat on is a so-called 1982 argument and the tin pot trophy. So am I glad that they're in the proverbial????

Too blimmin' right lads.

B y the way, sorry if any of you lads suffered a Jacko Special...................I love you all really XX

Bristol Rovers are our rivals! I don't see the problem as long as we're making noise. Why didn't you start a different chant?

During the late 1970s we used to chant....

The Gas

The Gas

We've gotta get rid of the Gas !!!!!!

....about time that chant was heard again echoing around the Gate. :dancing6:

I find the whole Rovers fixation rather tedious too... They are not our rivals. We haven't played them for years. They just happen to be another team that play in our City...they don't even register on my radar. Singing about them, only makes them look more important than they really are. Just ignore them...it's far more insulting. Sing about the City and getting behind the boys. Tbh...the imagination of songs and chants sung by our fans is rather very poor compared to years gone by. They'll be texting their songs next... :tumbleweed:

I find the whole Rovers fixation rather tedious too... They are not our rivals. We haven't played them for years. They just happen to be another team that play in our City...they don't even register on my radar. Singing about them, only makes them look more important than they really are. Just ignore them...it's far more insulting. Sing about the City and getting behind the boys. Tbh...the imagination of songs and chants sung by our fans is rather very poor compared to years gone by. They'll be texting their songs next... :tumbleweed:

I blame Lee Johnson :protest:

Just one point gobbers, it was the early 80's. I think you'll find we didn't invent their name till about 80/81

I'm pretty sure I first heard us use that chant during the late 1970s at a Gloucestershire Cup final at Eastville. You might be right though - it was 30 odd years ago whatever.

I'm pretty sure I first heard us use that chant during the late 1970s at a Gloucestershire Cup final at Eastville. You might be right though - it was 30 odd years ago whatever.

Surely 'Gas' predates the 80's ?....... goes way back to the old gasworks/gasometers adjacent to Eastville dog. Stadium . Seems I've always known 'em as 'The Gas' since schooldays 68/69ish when started going to football.

Might be wrong but think it was always so... & the old town gas around there & the river frome didnt half stink, was worse than the wastebins of the old Eastville market on Sundays in that respect..

The Gas ,The Gas... Our Agents Got Rid Of The Gas!! :)

Surely 'Gas' predates the 80's ?....... goes way back to the old gasworks/gasometers adjacent to Eastville dog. Stadium . Seems I've always known 'em as 'The Gas' since schooldays 68/69ish when started going to football.

Might be wrong but think it was always so... & the old town gas around there & the river frome didnt half stink, was worse than the wastebins of the old Eastville market on Sundays in that respect..

The Gas ,The Gas... Our Agents Got Rid Of The Gas!! :)

We always called Eastvile the Gasworks coz as you say IT STANK !

But I'm pretty sure the "official nomecliture" was the early 80's

It was about 84 when they started pretending it was not an insult but a tribute, and the first I saw of this was blue spray on the back of the Ashton Park bogs (must have been a blue few cottaging with a spare 5 mins) !

we're not going up this season. the next best thing is rovers going down, and im lovin every second of their struggle. what they started earlier in the season when we were bottom will not be forgotten....

That's the age old City spirit - never let the Gas forget. Never forget that they'd be rubbing our noses in it if the league places were reversed. If you lived through 1982 as a City supporter - as I did - it wasn't nice taking shit from Gas in those days.

This is pay back time for every City fan who was at Trumpton on May 2nd 1990,

only about 1,800 of us, kept locked in, while they celebrated beating us to the title.

Anyone forced to listen to Gerry Francis leading a chorus of "Goodnight Irene"

over and over again will be loving their current crisis.

Yes, they are our rivals, as anyone who works in Bristol will tell you,

the Blue Few really do think they are our equals.

Watch them sink, and sing loud and proud about it chant6ez.gif

I disagree with the highlighted statement Spudski (apart from the not playing them for years bit),

There are many aspects to what makes a particular team your 'rivals' but I would say that the fact that Rovers are the closest league club to us geographically is a big factor. Imo local rivalry is about bragging rights and the pleasure of doing better, whether it be in one game or over a season, than your closest neighbours. The fact that we have been way ahead of them on and off the pitch for so long just adds to my enjoyment of being a BCFC fan.

Many people say Cardiff are our rivals now, I cant stand Cardiff but I see them as a regional rival like Swindon. After those scumbags beat us 6-0 at the gate the only grief I got at work over the following week was from gasheads, my only comfort was thinking "thank **** it wasnt them beating us 6-0".

Gasheads take great pleasure from our misfortunes and I take great pleasure from their misfortunes and nothings better than a weekend when we win and they lose irrespective of which divisions we are in, just my opinion of course.

So who are our rivals? Cant be cardiff, as they are miles ahead of us.

Yes...I would say Cardiff are our nearest Rivals.

Rising above the bait, makes a fan superior. All this banter about the Gas, makes them look important. It's what their fans would want. It puts them on the raidar.If we ignore them, they will go away. Why can't fans see that. They mean **** all to us. It's like my dad is bigger than your dad syndrome...kids in the playground stuff. Can't believe people still get worked up about 'em. Move on...

You can imagine the rovers fans saying...'Have you seen the City singing about us again'...'we still piss 'em off'.

What the Gas fans should be saying is...'City don't even sing about us anymore...we really must be shite' SIMPLES!!!

I disagree with the highlighted statement Spudski (apart from the not playing them for years bit),

There are many aspects to what makes a particular team your 'rivals' but I would say that the fact that Rovers are the closest league club to us geographically is a big factor. Imo local rivalry is about bragging rights and the pleasure of doing better, whether it be in one game or over a season, than your closest neighbours. The fact that we have been way ahead of them on and off the pitch for so long just adds to my enjoyment of being a BCFC fan.

Many people say Cardiff are our rivals now, I cant stand Cardiff but I see them as a regional rival like Swindon. After those scumbags beat us 6-0 at the gate the only grief I got at work over the following week was from gasheads, my only comfort was thinking "thank **** it wasnt them beating us 6-0".

Gasheads take great pleasure from our misfortunes and I take great pleasure from their misfortunes and nothings better than a weekend when we win and they lose irrespective of which divisions we are in, just my opinion of course.

+1 - though in my experience it's the armchair gasheads that give me grief - all my friends who actually go and watch them (I have a a few) are resigned to the fact that they are going down and aren't worried about us at all

Rising above the bait, makes a fan superior. All this banter about the Gas, makes them look important. It's what their fans would want. It puts them on the raidar.If we ignore them, they will go away. Why can't fans see that. They mean **** all to us. It's like my dad is bigger than your dad syndrome...kids in the playground stuff. Can't believe people still get worked up about 'em. Move on...

You can imagine the rovers fans saying...'Have you seen the City singing about us again'...'we still piss 'em off'.

What the Gas fans should be saying is...'City don't even sing about us anymore...we really must be shite' SIMPLES!!!

Its good were all different or the world would be a very very boring place. (Not saying your boring, just saying if everyone was the same it would be)

What happens if they get promoted, who will be our rivals then? I wont know who to hate.....we cant have different rivals every season.

I do think you are correct that nothing pisses off gasheads more than us ignoring them but thats difficult to do when winding them up is so much fun :dancing6:

What happens if they get promoted, who will be our rivals then? I wont know who to hate.....we cant have different rivals every season.

I do think you are correct that nothing pisses off gasheads more than us ignoring them but thats difficult to do when winding them up is so much fun :dancing6:

Guess it would have to be either swansea or reading as they will be the nearest wont they? Maybe bournemouth?

Archived