IGNORED

Unbelievable...!

everreddy

I'm not miserable mate, quiet the opposite. I just find it funny that people care so much about Rovers demise. Each to their own and all. But Like studies have shown, people who enjoy other peoples demise, and get pleasure from it, generally have low self esteem themselves.

I don't find it fun, and tbh, it shows the mindset of many fans on here, when one of the longest threads is about the demise of the Sag's, rather than concentrating on the positives of our own team. Say's it all really. And when you hear more songs at the ground, sung about the Rovers, then i'm sure it has such a positive effect on our own players!!!Not... It's like saying to them...'We're ******* bored of you lot...we're gonna sing about something totally irrelevent to what's happening on the pitch. They might as well start a Mexican wave and really rub it in our own players faces. :disapointed2se: Pathetic...

Anyway...I hope it makes you feel better, personally, i couldn't give a shit. But i hear many fans who sit around me say, 'I wish our lot would stop singing about the Sag's so much, it's ******* boring'.

No it doesn't at all, and it's the same at every club who has a local rival in the land. If any of the players take it that way then they're very sheltered souls...

Supporting BCFC doesn't hold many glories. One thing we do have though is we are better than that sorry bunch up the road. So why shouldn't we revel? I suppose we should all sit there miserable as sin, watching but not making any noise... then come on a forum and moan about the atmosphere?

Just one point gobbers, it was the early 80's. I think you'll find we didn't invent their name till about 80/81

The moniker "Gasheads"was supplied by by a City lad from Kingswood, Mike Baker, in the mid '70's,

don't let anyone tell you any different.

No it doesn't at all, and it's the same at every club who has a local rival in the land. If any of the players take it that way then they're very sheltered souls...

Supporting BCFC doesn't hold many glories. One thing we do have though is we are better than that sorry bunch up the road. So why shouldn't we revel? I suppose we should all sit there miserable as sin, watching but not making any noise... then come on a forum and moan about the atmosphere?

Why Revel in their demise...Sing about our Team instead. Sums it up really. It is possible to sing about our club and make some noise, rather than the gas.

Yes, other Clubs do have local rivalries, but they don't sing about it at every game. It's boring as hell, and loads of other fans i know, think the same.

Some of us have moved on from singing and cheering, and just sit and watch. We handed it over to a younger generation.But loads of us have been their in the 70's and 80's, been their done that and worn the T shirt...but the EE at the moment are a ******* embarrasment to many who have been their before.

Instead of getting into a tit for tat on the forum, you young 'ens prove us us old'ens wrong tomorrow night...and try and outsing Pompey...you don't stand a chance, because all you ever sing is about the Gas and the occasional 'Come on you Reds'... :disapointed2se:

Why Revel in their demise...Sing about our Team instead. Sums it up really. It is possible to sing about our club and make some noise, rather than the gas.

Yes, other Clubs do have local rivalries, but they don't sing about it at every game. It's boring as hell, and loads of other fans i know, think the same.

Some of us have moved on from singing and cheering, and just sit and watch. We handed it over to a younger generation.But loads of us have been their in the 70's and 80's, been their done that and worn the T shirt...but the EE at the moment are a ******* embarrasment to many who have been their before.

Instead of getting into a tit for tat on the forum, you young 'ens prove us us old'ens wrong tomorrow night...and try and outsing Pompey...you don't stand a chance, because all you ever sing is about the Gas and the occasional 'Come on you Reds'... :disapointed2se:

You dont seem like a happy chappy.

Is it cold up there on your high horse?

Yes, yes they do. Clubs sing about past glories or their rivals... we have NO PAST GLORIES.... do the math.

Most of the songs that are "anti rovers" are more Pro City... "she's a whore" isn't, but it's one of my favourites.

I'm not getting into a tit for tat... But for you to label other fans an embrassment for what they sing and how they sing it when you've previously stated you don't sing is somewhat confusing... If you don't sing then don't bad mouth those who do... I find that more embarrassing than the content of the songs.

Football is about as tribal as it gets, Singing about rivals, no matter how poor they are is a massive part of that togetherness. "We're shit, but we're better than them and thats a small triumph at least"

Should we be singing about how amazing we are? how our season is going so swimmingly? I'd find that cringeworthy tbh.

I'm not miserable mate, quiet the opposite. I just find it funny that people care so much about Rovers demise. Each to their own and all. But Like studies have shown, people who enjoy other peoples demise, and get pleasure from it, generally have low self esteem themselves.

Spot on, Spudski...........I have a low self esteem......I've followed the City since 1971. Goes with the territory , really!

Yes, yes they do. Clubs sing about past glories or their rivals... we have NO PAST GLORIES.... do the math.

Most of the songs that are "anti rovers" are more Pro City... "she's a whore" isn't, but it's one of my favourites.

I'm not getting into a tit for tat... But for you to label other fans an embrassment for what they sing and how they sing it when you've previously stated you don't sing is somewhat confusing... If you don't sing then don't bad mouth those who do... I find that more embarrassing than the content of the songs.

Football is about as tribal as it gets, Singing about rivals, no matter how poor they are is a massive part of that togetherness. "We're shit, but we're better than them and thats a small triumph at least"

Should we be singing about how amazing we are? how our season is going so swimmingly? I'd find that cringeworthy tbh.

Agree 100%

The Gas are our main rivals, and the derbys were the only games that managed to give me butterflies days before the actual game.

Sadly , derbys seem to be a thing of the past..... so enjoy the next best thing, savour the moment and revel in their demise!

WE'RE GONNA GET RID OF THE GAS!!!

I'm not on my high horse mate...It's called Constructive Criticism. You mention cringeworthy...many old en's before you, that sit in the stands and Cringe at what comes out of the EE. I've sung before, for over two decades...So i know what it's about. I prefer to watch my football these days from the comfort of the Premier seating. I'm justing saying it as it is, and passing on, not just my thoughts, but many others who sit around me. The whole EE sounds disjointed. You don't sound like a group, but more a bunch of individuals. No organisation whatsoever. It might sound great in their to you, but it sure as don't to the rest of the Stadium.

Don't take it personally...Consider for a minute, that i'm trying to be pro active, and sometimes pointing out faults, brings out the best in the future.

Like i say...tomorow night will sort the men from the boys me thinks.

I'm not on my high horse mate...It's called Constructive Criticism. You mention cringeworthy...many old en's before you, that sit in the stands and Cringe at what comes out of the EE. I've sung before, for over two decades...So i know what it's about. I prefer to watch my football these days from the comfort of the Premier seating. I'm justing saying it as it is, and passing on, not just my thoughts, but many others who sit around me. The whole EE sounds disjointed. You don't sound like a group, but more a bunch of individuals. No organisation whatsoever. It might sound great in their to you, but it sure as don't to the rest of the Stadium.

Don't take it personally...Consider for a minute, that i'm trying to be pro active, and sometimes pointing out faults, brings out the best in the future.

I don't sit in the east end, Dolman... wasting my throat trying to start the odd song in there...

Another point, You keep going on about knowing plenty of people who find it cringeworthy, or whatever.... yet I'm sure there are more fans in the stadium singing those songs than moaning with displeasure about it... I'd say you're in the monority and to expect people to change the entire mindset of football to keep the Premier seating "prawn sandwich" brigade happy is pretty amusing.

Calling people Pathetic, embarrasing and anything else is not constructive, I am afraid. You supply some songs that could be sung that would "embarrass" you less and then it can be considered constructive.

And on the first point, you may not think you are, but it is coming across that you "look down" on those who sing about the sags... which is infact, sitting on a high horse.

I don't sit in the east end, Dolman... wasting my throat trying to start the odd song in there...

Another point, You keep going on about knowing plenty of people who find it cringeworthy, or whatever.... yet I'm sure there are more fans in the stadium singing those songs than moaning with displeasure about it... I'd say you're in the monority and to expect people to change the entire mindset of football to keep the Premier seating "prawn sandwich" brigade happy is pretty amusing.

Calling people Pathetic, embarrasing and anything else is not constructive, I am afraid. You supply some songs that could be sung that would "embarrass" you less and then it can be considered constructive.

And on the first point, you may not think you are, but it is coming across that you "look down" on those who sing about the sags... which is infact, sitting on a high horse.

How wrong you are...I'm a working class lad, and just because i sit where i want, doesn't mean we are the 'Prawn Sandwich' brigade. We'll have to agree to disagree, but thank God i grew up in an era, when supporting City meant supporting the team, rather than singing about the Gas all the time. I'll happily be in the minority. The spirit of 76 will have to be a long distant memory for me, because i can't see it ever being replicated vociferously by what's around at the moment. Shame... Good luck at AV :disapointed2se:

How wrong you are...I'm a working class lad, and just because i sit where i want, doesn't mean we are the 'Prawn Sandwich' brigade. We'll have to agree to disagree, but thank God i grew up in an era, when supporting City meant supporting the team, rather than singing about the Gas all the time. I'll happily be in the minority. The spirit of 76 will have to be a long distant memory for me, because i can't see it ever being replicated vociferously by what's around at the moment. Shame... Good luck at AV :disapointed2se:

Who cares, supporters just want to go and enjoy the football in their own way. If you happy to sit in the premier seating and do what you do fine, I go in the eastend because of the atmosphere and I like to stand up and really get behind the team. Either way we all pay our money, we all want Bristol City to win so just let it be. No section of the ground of supporters are better than another, we are all City fans and I think it some's up the negativity on this forum that we have won 3 on the bounce yet there is a thread moaning about what we sing about. Thats the unbelievable thing!

Why can't we just enjoy this small amount of success is what has otherwise been a dire season!

I don't think comments like this are terribly helpful.

You seem to be suggesting that there was a golden age at AG when younger fans justified their place in the stands?

Well not so long ago barely any youngsters even bothered to turn up to AG - I'm old enough to remember crowds of 3, 4 or 5,000 and the atmosphere was far worse then. Far more youngsters can be proud about supporting their club at AG today than many of those from previous generations can, however much noise they make.

On a wider point, its the older generation that is responsible for sanitising football. Lets not have a go at the young 'uns if things aren't how they used to be.

Put up or shut up.

I've been to more Derby's than i've had hot dinners. It's such a long time ago though...I can hardly remember them. I can't believe you know those Gas stats...it beggers belief. I'm sure some City fans are more interested in what the Gas are doing, rather than their own team. :disapointed2se:

Spot on, Spudski: that's exactly the point I was trying to make, on my op. At least someone gets it!

I think it will be interesting to see what happens if the Gas go down. Even allowing for RG's clarification of the true nature of the gap between us, that's still 100 years since we were 2 divisions apart. If they don't recover very quickly and we can continue forward to a new ground and push for the promise land, it could be hard for them to survive beyond this decade. Attending football is a habit but the next generation of potential Gas supporters could lose that habit and the draw of a higher class of football at a top class stadium could be too much.

I think it will be interesting to see what happens if the Gas go down. Even allowing for RG's clarification of the true nature of the gap between us, that's still 100 years since we were 2 divisions apart. If they don't recover very quickly and we can continue forward to a new ground and push for the promise land, it could be hard for them to survive beyond this decade. Attending football is a habit but the next generation of potential Gas supporters could lose that habit and the draw of a higher class of football at a top class stadium could be too much.

:winner_third_h4h: We live in hope!:city::w00t:

Spot on, Spudski: that's exactly the point I was trying to make, on my op. At least someone gets it!

No worries mate...some people can't see the wood for the trees.

In my mind, i can fully justify singing songs about the Gas, if we were playing against them. But when you are in the stands watching the likes of Coventry, Leeds and Cardiff, and such like, I just don't get it.

Anyway, it looks like we are in a minority on this forum, but far from it at the ground.

It's been taken out of all context as usual...but everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Tomorrow will be interesting... :rolleyes:

In my mind, i can fully justify singing songs about the Gas, if we were playing against them. But when you are in the stands watching the likes of Coventry, Leeds and Cardiff, and such like, I just don't get it.

Anyway, it looks like we are in a minority on this forum, but far from it at the ground.

It's been taken out of all context as usual...but everyone is entitled to an opinion.

So despite being in the distinct minority, you are claiming you hold the higher ground and that those many thousands of fans who disagree with you "cannot see the wood from the trees"?

and of course you are in the minority in the ground! otherwise the songs wouldn't get sung!

Tomorrow won't be interesting, as you imply at least, because there are too many like you who sit and watch then moan about the atmosphere. We have a poor atmosphere because of you... nothing to do with the east end.

So despite being in the distinct minority, you are claiming you hold the higher ground and that those many thousands of fans who disagree with you "cannot see the wood from the trees"?

and of course you are in the minority in the ground! otherwise the songs wouldn't get sung!

Tomorrow won't be interesting, as you imply at least, because there are too many like you who sit and watch then moan about the atmosphere. We have a poor atmosphere because of you... nothing to do with the east end.

Bollox mate. Those who want to sing go into the EE. But they don't ******* sing. If you did, we'd here you. Same old shit comes out of it each week, and loads this season have complained how quiet it is in there.

Who are all these 1000's?...you mean a few on this forum. I'm a minority on this forum, but not at the ground. Loads of City fans laugh at the EE and how pathetic their attempts to get an atmosphere going are. They've got as much imagination as a bunch of natched up 12 year olds.

The EE hate it when they get critised, the Forza East End crew tried to get something started in there, but the 'masses' in their, couldn't be bothered to help or join in.

Anyway this thread is about Gas songs, not an overall atmosphere.

Tomorrow will be interesting, because the Pompey fans will out sing the EE, but i'm sure everyone will be singing about Penny and the Gas going down. :disapointed2se:

Constructive criticism mate...you just don't get it do you? I'm one bloke on the forum disagreeing with you, and i get a typical pack mentality negative response, because people don't like hearing criticism. Comments like 'put up or shut up'...pretty constructive huh?

Fail to see why tomorrow will be interesting?

Put it this way, if we were in rovers div and it was the last game of the season at ashton gate, say we were playing yeovil and we were safe, but the sags needed us to beat them to stay up, i would be at Ashton Gate that day singing Yeovil as loud as my lungs would allow!

...can picture the game now:

Yeovil in relegation battle with the Gas... we're safe, Yeovil need win to stay up, Gas need Yeovil to lose or the Gas go down instead...

Its a great game of competitive, almost classic cup-tie like football, its 3-3 going into the final minutes (Rovers safe -Yeovil down as it stands ...oh & Maynard has completed a hat-trick netting his 30th goal of season!)...

OK ninety mins are up, four minutes on the board, three minutes into injury time, City have ball on halfwall line with Clarkson.... Yeovil desperate to win it back, City giving it the ole's... David James lottering near penalty spot, Clarky looks up spots an opportunity, - & knocks an (erm, accidental) 45yard (back -pass) high & looping back towards Jammo... ball floats over Jammo & under the bar into the waiting net at the East End end of the pitch.... whistle blows, Yeovil win 4-3 (due to the final minute 'accidental mix-up' between Clarky & Jammo .... Yeovil stay up - Gas are relegated.. a full house Ashton Gate goes absolutely f'******g mental!!!! .... :)

HAPPY DAYS!!

We always called Eastvile the Gasworks coz as you say IT STANK !

But I'm pretty sure the "official nomecliture" was the early 80's

It was about 84 when they started pretending it was not an insult but a tribute, and the first I saw of this was blue spray on the back of the Ashton Park bogs (must have been a blue few cottaging with a spare 5 mins) !

your'e spot on,started early eighties,before that they were known as the gas works gang,we changed it to the gas.They now pretend they came up the name.The tits don't even recognise an insult when they see one,boy are they thick or what.

Getting a crowd atmosphere going isn't as easy as it sounds and is the product of many things including:

Recent Performances

Recent results

Crowd numbers

Crowd concentration

Apathy

Club history

etc.

Its easy joining in with a noisy crowd and easy to abstain in a quiet one. Its a bit like steering a tanker I guess, and no one person can be blamed individually. The atmosphere WAS superb for a period under GJ. No reason why it can't or won't come back.

I think it would help if we could:

Get more fans into the EE where possible.

Ban people not singing (joke), or possibly designate 'singing only' block. There's a fair few who clearly have no interest in singing, ever.

Provide greater accessibilty for POD fans.

Growing up in Southmead,with the estate split down the middle you were either red or blue,none of this I support man ure,liverpool,chelski,arse n hole shit,it really added to the rivalry.The banter was fantastic.So growing up and living in north Bristol i've been giving and been on the receiving end of the banter my whole life.Trouble for them is I know more about thier club than they know themselves,it's far too easy to tie them in knots.OH and for those of you who keep refering to Southmead as a gash area,you couldn't be more wrong,there are plenty of reds ,as are there in Henbury,L dub,shire and believe it or not Horfield and Lockleaze.COYR

Growing up in Southmead,with the estate split down the middle you were either red or blue,none of this I support man ure,liverpool,chelski,arse n hole shit,it really added to the rivalry.The banter was fantastic.So growing up and living in north Bristol i've been giving and been on the receiving end of the banter my whole life.Trouble for them is I know more about thier club than they know themselves,it's far too easy to tie them in knots.OH and for those of you who keep refering to Southmead as a gash area,you couldn't be more wrong,there are plenty of reds ,as are there in Henbury,L dub,shire and believe it or not Horfield and Lockleaze.COYR

Agree

I lived in Lockleaze for several years and there were a fair few City fans around there, one house off Wordsworth Road near the railway line even displayed a very large City flag during the World Cup

Agree

I lived in Lockleaze for several years and there were a fair few City fans around there, one house off Wordsworth Road near the railway line even displayed a very large City flag during the World Cup

Any City fans of a certain era will know who's house that is ,very well know in city circles.He's also got one of the deepest voices I've ever heard.

Archived