IGNORED

Retained List

Rocky

If you are looking for precedents, the last year that Murray was here was under very similar circumstances. What that is worth to the club will be for them to decide.

The Murray precedent is exactly the one I would use to back up my point that an extra year for Louis would be a complete waste of time, money and squad place.

Scott wrongly (IMO) got an extra year and barely played a game for City the following season.

He went out on loan for long periods so had much reduced opportunity to pass on any positive influence in the dressing room.

He took a bow at the end of the season and got a great send off from the fans but most realised when clapping him off the pitch that it would have made no difference to our fortunes if the well-merited occasion had occurred a year earlier.

Except City had paid him the majority of a years wages inbetween for next to no impact on our fortunes.

I hoped the noises coming out of the club about the necessity for a reduced squad indicated City had learnt the lesson from Scott Murray and would be ruthlessly determined to carry it through, but it would appear not.

Are popularity, long service, and possible positive dressing room influence really enough to justify a new playing contract?

Surely most clubs would be looking first and foremost at probable value for money on the pitch, realise they were very unlikely to get it, and conclude, albeit reluctantly, that the time was right for a parting of the ways.

Unfortunately the archive only goes back to early april,( unless someone can point me in the right direction) otherwise I would.

I didn't realise you had to be in the country to post on this forum, mmmmm.

Would'nt I need some of those new fangled gadgets to be able to do that?, sadly I haven't got a mummy or a daddy to buy me such luxuries.

I agree Big Rob. The least we can do is offer Carey what will probably be his testimonial season as we did with Scotty and many others before him. And let's not forget he does still have something to offer even if he becomes more of a sub player. The guy is heading for one of our longest serving players and in view of his continued ability, albeit a little slower, we should cut him some slack.

Nogbad; I take your point and it's a valid one but perhaps there is more to it than just a financial consideration for the club. Giving a little back to a player by offering a final swan song season, if that is what it probably will be, is one way of illustrating that BCFC rewards loyalty; not a bad thing when you are trying to attract the same in return as well as new signings. Reasonable point?

Archived