IGNORED

Norwich Eye £5M Maynard For Prem

Ryan_BCFC

Not if he signs a new contract and requires a minimum fee closedeyes.gif

Yes, if he gets a chance in the Prem he will take it.....but he would regret it. Norwich are a nothing team and not a long term step forward.

If I were him, sign an extension for us with a minimum release fee, bang the goals in and NO DOUBT a BIGGER, MORE ESTABLISHED CLUB will sign in.

Thats a BIG IF!

Ok. is there clear evidence that a player is worth much less, simply because he has a year left? People say it all the time, but I'm not convinced.

I keep banging on about competition in the bidding, but if I am the chairman of Premier League Club A and another chairman from Premier League Club B also wants the same player as me, what would make me think that I can have that player on the cheap?

We both want him, he's under contract and the only way to guarantee his signature is to offer more than anyone else. I'm not entirely sure how 1 year or 2 years makes any tangible difference.

If it was 6 weeks left I'd completely understand the argument.

as I said before. A bidding war is the only way I can see his transfer fee going up significantly when he has 1 year left.

having 1 year left puts pressure on the selling club to take an offer lower than they'd like because the clock is ticking. Look at Billy Jones. We offered 500k supposedly. They refused and have now gone down and lost him for nothing.

Was that a good financial decision by them? They decided not to sell for less than they thought he was worth to them and now he's not there player anymore and they havent got a penny for him.

Thats the situation we may find ourselves in with Maynard. Hopefully not and as you suggest, several clubs come in and bump the price up but I'm not sure lots of clubs in the Prem will take a punt on him.

Its also a bigger issue if the player wants to leave. Not saying Maynard does but that could become an issue if he does as it adds to the pressure to sell.

Its hard to put a value on a player but given the contract situation as it stands and if the player wants to go. I think 5-6m is what we're looking at. Hernandez was £6m.

Ok. is there clear evidence that a player is worth much less, simply because he has a year left? People say it all the time, but I'm not convinced.

I keep banging on about competition in the bidding, but if I am the chairman of Premier League Club A and another chairman from Premier League Club B also wants the same player as me, what would make me think that I can have that player on the cheap?

We both want him, he's under contract and the only way to guarantee his signature is to offer more than anyone else. I'm not entirely sure how 1 year or 2 years makes any tangible difference.

If it was 6 weeks left I'd completely understand the argument.

I would be very surprised if there was not a clause in current contract that allows him to leave if a certain value is offered...........and I would also expect that to be currently a lot less than 5M

In fact I bet the "deal breaker" in the new contract offer is the value we NOW want to put on such a clause and NM thinks its too high hence no signing yet

Heard this rumour a few days ago.

Nicky Maynard still has a year left on his contract, so would have to be given permission to talk to anyone at Norwich.

So unless BCFC have agreed a fee and have let NM talk to them.......it is rubbish.

BCAGFC

Is there any sell-on clause that we have to pay if we do get rid of him?

This is part of the problem, nobody knows the full detail within the contracts.

I have heard previously that Crew want a slice of any sell-on.

This is part of the problem, nobody knows the full detail within the contracts.

I have heard previously that Crew want a slice of any sell-on.

Pretty sure they do have one (would've been mad not to). I would assume that it would be round the 20-30% mark, but as someone pointed out in another thread that percentage would only be on the profit we make (i.e. not on the £2,25m or whatever we paid for him).

crewe would have been mad not to put in a future sell on clause, lets just assume they have one, i hope it is for profit difference above the amount we paid them and not just a basic percentage fee or any future sale.

it's gonna be a long summer of ifs and maybes with the possibility of maynard not being here next season unless the club or nm's agent have information and are willing to release it publicly.

i'm staying positive until i hear otherwise and look on the plus side, we may be signing the next patrick viera accordcing to another thread. laughcont.gif

Its hard to put a value on a player but given the contract situation as it stands and if the player wants to go. I think 5-6m is what we're looking at. Hernandez was £6m.

Not sure about this comparison- Hernandez has scored goals at a good standard- vs France and Argentina and generally impressed in WC. Undoubtedly Hernandez based on this season is a very good young striker. Only 22 as well, though he needs to improve his all round game. He'd be worth a lot more now but perhaps the reason he was so or purported to be so unknown is because British football culture is quite an insular one? A contentious view no doubt but looking at media coverage occasionally I sometimes wonder- hence the high number of 'unknown' or 'obscure' players who suddenly come over here and do rather better than predicted.

Not sure about this comparison- Hernandez has scored goals at a good standard- vs France and Argentina and generally impressed in WC. Undoubtedly Hernandez based on this season is a very good young striker. Only 22 as well, though he needs to improve his all round game. He'd be worth a lot more now but perhaps the reason he was so or purported to be so unknown is because British football culture is quite an insular one? A contentious view no doubt but looking at media coverage occasionally I sometimes wonder- hence the high number of 'unknown' or 'obscure' players who suddenly come over here and do rather better than predicted.

definitely agree about the hernandez thing, and the insular british media/ attitudes! The boy is clearly total class, but because our media come out with all this BS about the premier league is the best league in the world, and all the english world class players, its seems everyone thinks we are important on the world stage of the game. He was only 6 million because he hadnt played in europe yet, and man u dont mind paying that kind of money to see if a player will make it or not, and a lot of that is to do with settling down in a foreign country and adapting to the pace of the game here. His value to anyone who want to sign him is probably 25 million now, maybe more.

Maynard cant compare to him at the moment in terms of ability/ transfer fee, but his value, as far as I can see, with his contract expiring, would be about 5 million for us to sell.

I dont think we need a replacement...

we have BRETT PITMAN

Pitman can clearly finish, but if he has any injury problems, loss of form etc, then that leaves us with Stead and Clarkson. If maynard goes we will need 1 more in to replace him in terms of numbers, if nothing else.

Your having a laugh right?

Why am I having a laugh? Millen said he wants to give youngsters a chance and not have their path blocked.....

And in pitman we have a goalscorer.

Think city fans are in for a rude awakening next season or whenever millen starts giving the youngsters places in the squad.

Why am I having a laugh? Millen said he wants to give youngsters a chance and not have their path blocked.....

And in pitman we have a goalscorer.

Think city fans are in for a rude awakening next season or whenever millen starts giving the youngsters places in the squad.

1 goal in 42 league appeearances.

Get rid of this kid he aint up to scratch.

If the worst thing was too happen and Maynard was too leave.

Who would you like too see as his replacement ??

Dont forget we may have a fair bit of cash too spend.........

The word you're looking for is to. too means also.

On to your question , I'm not sure about Goodwillie (dont know much about Scottish football).

Would not mind someone like Simon Cox if we could get him.

1 goal in 42 league appeearances.

Get rid of this kid he aint up to scratch.

maybe. I dont know. but he seems to be in millen's plans.

Of course, millen may get a replacement - but then he's not doing what he said he will do.

Archived