IGNORED

Norwich Eye £5M Maynard For Prem

Ryan_BCFC

Pitman can certainly score goals yes, but he's not the finished article by any means. He could perhaps do with adding more to his game off the ball, linking play and so on. He is young, time is on his side and in the long run he may well be a like for like replacement for Maynard- just not atm IMO.

Pitman can certainly score goals yes, but he's not the finished article by any means. He could perhaps do with adding more to his game off the ball, linking play and so on. He is young, time is on his side and in the long run he may well be a like for like replacement for Maynard- just not atm IMO.

Was maynard the finished article when he came here? no

If pitman was the finished article, do you think he'd be here? no

point is, we're not going to get any better - pitman look like he's the next maynard and I'm sure he'd get 20 plus, if given a full season

Was maynard the finished article when he came here? no

If pitman was the finished article, do you think he'd be here? no

point is, we're not going to get any better - pitman look like he's the next maynard and I'm sure he'd get 20 plus, if given a full season

Yes agree what that for most part, like I say though perhaps Pitman needs to work on those other aspects of the game- and I'm sure he knows this more than anyone. Time is still on his side, 13 goals in 39 games in a midtable side is a pretty good return for first season at this level. Hopefully we can keep Maynard for one more year at least, though losing him on a free would be less than ideal.

Yes agree what that for most part, like I say though perhaps Pitman needs to work on those other aspects of the game- and I'm sure he knows this more than anyone. Time is still on his side, 13 goals in 39 games in a midtable side is a pretty good return for first season at this level. Hopefully we can keep Maynard for one more year at least, though losing him on a free would be less than ideal.

13 in 39 does not tell the story.

Pitman only started 21 games - not only that - millen seemed to drop him at odd times - quite often he had scored and subsequently been dropped from the team.

Also its more than maynard got in his first season - and maynard played alot more games

I think Stead has become a very good signing, after many people had wrote him off before he even kicked a ball.

9 goals in 27 apperances, He also gives 100% every game.

Could easily hit double figures next season,

Very much so, first tiem I saw him properly was QPR home game- impressed with him that evening no doubt about it, number of assists too, links play well etc.

Pitman only started 21 games - not only that - millen seemed to drop him at odd times - quite often he had scored and subsequently been dropped from the team.

Also its more than maynard got in his first season - and maynard played alot more games

Pitman was left out simply because his overall game is lacking in certain area's. He isn't the hardest of workers and it was quite right for Millen to leave him out as a bit of reminder that everyone has to earn their starting place.. Plus the most effective partnership up front is Maynard and Stead so Pitman is third striker and not likely to start every game.

If Maynard was to move on then Pitman is quite capable of filling his boots....his goal record proves that. He'll be even better next season.

Pitman was left out simply because his overall game is lacking in certain area's. He isn't the hardest of workers and it was quite right for Millen to leave him out as a bit of reminder that everyone has to earn their starting place.. Plus the most effective partnership up front is Maynard and Stead so Pitman is third striker and not likely to start every game.

If Maynard was to move on then Pitman is quite capable of filling his boots....his goal record proves that. He'll be even better next season.

Agreed.

Agree with you Riaz that Pitman is already the ideal replacement in waiting, but as awesome as Stead is, he won't score that many goals. If Nicky left and Pitman was injured, who would score our goals? I wouldn't have faith in Clarkson or Jackson to provide that on a regular basis, so we would ideally need another striker capable of scoring 15+ goals a season. I don't think when Millen said that he would give a chance to youngsters he meant as part of the first team squad, but more of a back up to the first team. I can see Jackson being back-up for 4 main strikers. IMO, if Nicky leaves, he will bring someone else in.

P.S. Love your vid on you tube. :winner_third_h4h:

I dont think we need a replacement...

we have BRETT PITMAN

Don't know about Norwich, but personally I'm convinced Maynard will leave.

I thought from the start that Pitman was bought with an eye to replacing Maynard.

In fact he's turned out to be a better finisher and with the resignation of Maynard going comes the real worry that some of these rumours about Pitman's future may also have some foundation.

Pitman to start next season alongside Stead with some of the Maynard millions being spent on the next up and coming young striker with a view to eventually taking Pitman's place.

I can see Pitman getting AT LEAST 20 Championship goals next season and the vultures will be circling again this time next year presuming City don't go up.

Not an ideal situation, but almost inevitable, and masses of profit for City in this production line selling game, as long as we keep thinking ahead and bringing in the next likely lad..

Agree with you Riaz that Pitman is already the ideal replacement in waiting, but as awesome as Stead is, he won't score that many goals. If Nicky left and Pitman was injured, who would score our goals? I wouldn't have faith in Clarkson or Jackson to provide that on a regular basis, so we would ideally need another striker capable of scoring 15+ goals a season. I don't think when Millen said that he would give a chance to youngsters he meant as part of the first team squad, but more of a back up to the first team. I can see Jackson being back-up for 4 main strikers. IMO, if Nicky leaves, he will bring someone else in.

This.

I believe Stead is similar to that of Adebola; not the same player or anything but wil get a similar amount of goals from about 7-10 a season with many assists alongside a 20 goal + striker in Maynard which is something Adebola never had. Whereas Pitman will probably bag the same amount of goals if not a bit more (12-16 perhaps) being the 3rd striker as I dont believe Maynard and Pitman would be a successful partnership and I think it will take Pitman a little bit longer to become a 20+ goalscorer at this level than it did Maynard. Clarkson or Jackson will never be 20+ a season goalscorers at this level and wont score the same amount of goals Pitman is capable of say if Maynard went and

Pitman got injured.

Stead isn't the most prolific no doubt. Think of him as a poor mans Cassano- people may look at his stats and say 'oh he's not that good, he's not so prolific' but he creates rather a lot for others, similar to his goal output in fact. Admittedly he undoubtedly lacks the flair and natural ability of Cassano, but there are faint similarities. Personally I think we need to keep Maynard but then he only has one year on his contract and we risk losing him on a free. Mind you, say he fires us to the playoffs which we could win then losing him on a free may conceivably be worth the greater reward? Tricky one really.

But being back-up is surely the being the 4th choice striker?? otherwise, he'll hardly ever play and we'll still have a big squad?

From my understanding, fringe players, who fill the squad, are going to be promoted from within where possible??

Anyway, time will tell I suppose,

As for the youtube video - its was a great day!

Norwich !!

NM can do better than that,someone have a word with him about Andy Cole .

Newcastle and the like, I would suggest is where he wants to be aiming not some footballing backwater .

5m is also a joke, proven goal scorers are like gold dust and taken into account inflation and sell on clauses would represent a poor return on our initial outlay.

If NM wants to leave best for all concerned to allow this to happen, but not to the first bidder and not at 5m

Hope it's true, but I doubt it

I hope it isn't, we always seem to sell our best goalscorers.

Do you think the fact he's featured modelling next season's kit means anything particularly ? If he was off I'm sure they'd have got someone else to pose, possibly being naive though.

I hope it isn't, we always seem to sell our best goalscorers.

Do you think the fact he's featured modelling next season's kit means anything particularly ? If he was off I'm sure they'd have got someone else to pose, possibly being naive though.

i think it probably had to do with marketing mate, put a young player in the pics that no young fans know and they're far less likely to be begging mum and dad for the kit. put your biggest fans favourite in the new kit and the youngsters want to be like him, easy, basic marketing. but it'd be a lot better if it was an indication that he's gonna sign a new contract and stay with us for a season at least but it's not.

Don't know about Norwich, but personally I'm convinced Maynard will leave.

I thought from the start that Pitman was bought with an eye to replacing Maynard.

In fact he's turned out to be a better finisher and with the resignation of Maynard going comes the real worry that some of these rumours about Pitman's future may also have some foundation.

Pitman to start next season alongside Stead with some of the Maynard millions being spent on the next up and coming young striker with a view to eventually taking Pitman's place.

I can see Pitman getting AT LEAST 20 Championship goals next season and the vultures will be circling again this time next year presuming City don't go up.

Not an ideal situation, but almost inevitable, and masses of profit for City in this production line selling game, as long as we keep thinking ahead and bringing in the next likely lad..

This :clap:

Pitman is a good finisher and him and Stead will be a good partnership but we will need a plan B. Clarky is too similar, Jackson is not good enough in my eyes. IF Nicky leaves we will be crying out for someone to come off the bench with pace.

How much of Nickys money we'd spend on that player is debatable. If we are in the mood to make a dent in it I'd like us to go for someone like Ishamel Miller of WBA. Otherwise it might be a case of someone like Luke Moore or Donaldson of Crewe. Either way, Pitman is not the complete answer.

If you're Nicky Maynard you're going to either:

a) sign a new contract on double wages with a release clause for £7m or so in

b) refuse to sign the contract because a number of Prem clubs have shown an interest, resulting in a move to the biggest of those.

In neither case will Norwich be involved.

I think there's a reasonable chance he will sign with some sort of release clause because there's no downside to doing so as he will still be able to take a Prem move, and one big financial upside. It depends on who is willing to pay the money for him but remember that he will still cost £5m + and £25k a week, the question will always be how does that compare to a signing from the continent?

If he goes we will definitely need another striker, two if Clarkson gets moved on as well. Jackson is part of the development squad and will be the fifth striker not the fourth.

I'd be very happy with Stead and Pitman as the first choice pair though, they are well suited and I think we should get 30 goals out of that.

If anybody thinks that isn't sufficient they ought to take a look at the top scorer charts. There were only 11 players who got 15+ goals this season and four of them were midfielders or wingers. Be a bit more realistic.

As things stand Nicky holds all the cards so therefore can realistically dictate his contract either here or elsewhere. Some on here are saying stay with us and write in a release clause of £xM and that would be better than signing for Norwich. But look at this scenario, Nicky his Mum and his agent go to Norwich to discuss a contract the first thing he asks for is a relegation release clause that way if NM adapts to life with the big boys and Norwich do go down then one of the better teams such as Newcastle or even Spurs may show an interest and with the fee already sorted there would be few hurdles in the way. There are some positives in our favour such as his girlfriend being with child he may want to stay in an area he has established as home. Sextone and Millan also need to show him we are serious about mounting a challenge for the play-offs and fulfilling his ambition of playing PL football without having to up root his family. This is going to be easier said than done though. I think we all agree Maynard will eventually end up with a decent Premier League club but the question is will he go from us to them or via a team such as Norwich or QPR?

I really do hope we can convince him to sign on with us but ultimately he has to do what's best for his family and his career so with that in mind I can't say I'm too optimistic. If he does go I only hope we can squeeze as much money out of his suitors as possible be that Norwich City or Manchester City.

I live just outside Naarwich buuoy and consequently suffer their fans. None of them aware of this, and say for £5m they would want a proven prem goal scorer, even if he is in his twilight years. Some seem to genuinely believe they are going to sign Drogba and Anelka. Have to admire their ambition but thats delusions of grandeur.

Unless Maynard does not sign a new contract I would reject it. Unless it's a stupid money offer there would be no point in taking the offer. If we wish to progress to the PL you have to keep your best players, and Maynard is one of them. Unless he does not want a new contract then City would have to take the offer.

Anyway I dont think The Sun are very good on rumours with us.

I'd imagine it's bollocks but £5M is silly money with a year left on his contract.

Agree with this. Pitman's goal to minutes ratio will be exceptional and he's had a cracking first season. If we get a decent amount for Maynard it will by no means be a disaster. Pitman and Stead have a good understanding of one another and form a good partnership. Pitman is a lot better off the ball than some give him credit for. His off the ball running is very good and he often finds himself free at the back post etc. His link up play is a lot better than I thought it would be as well. While Maynard is an exceptional finisher I would say Pitman is actually better off the ball.

I live just outside Naarwich buuoy and consequently suffer their fans. None of them aware of this, and say for £5m they would want a proven prem goal scorer, even if he is in his twilight years. Some seem to genuinely believe they are going to sign Drogba and Anelka. Have to admire their ambition but thats delusions of grandeur.

Delusions of being normal, more like!

Archived