IGNORED

Doing A Swansea...

spudski

whats this got to do with fergie??

You tried to turn a discussion about whether English football could be more like the spanish passing game into a dig at Millen.

I was pointing out how ridiculous your comment was.

You know, your harping on about Millen is actually WORSE than Robbored's was with Johnson. At least he knew when to give it a break.

I don't buy into this continental way myth at all. Someone has jumped on this and ran with it as if it's some sort of fundamentally different way of playing the game. It isn't. It's just good football; passing, moving, using the whole pitch and bringing your team mates into the game.

To do the above you need a side of good passing players. Intuitive players with a good footballing brain. It's not some new formation or style, it's just good sides full of good individuals playing football the way it's meant to be played. We can sit here and over-analyse it because someone gave it a name (continental) but the facts are its just basic football carried out to the best standard

Then why do we not see it outside of the half dozen PL teams?

Last night Man Utd resorted to hoof ball because they couldn't handle the slick passing game of Barca. That's the current English Champions utterly outplayed by a team of superior players many of whom learnt their game in a totally different way to those playing against them.

But you're right - its not rocket science but to play football like Barcelona you need players who have played that way since they were boys.

am I the only one who finds the "Barca way" rather dull? I only ever feel my arse lift off my seat when Messi goes on a mazy run or when Villa slots one in the top corner.

At City however there are plenty of fifty fifty challenges, counter attacking fast flowing football, crosses into the box, wing play, mistakes and long distance strikes. I would much rather watch that, in all honesty. Love the british game, the rough and tumble of lower league football is what the game is all about, none of this namby pamby diving and waving fake cards about.

Be nice if a few of our lads could pass the ball 5 yards though, but beggars cant be choosers!

I can't remember any diving or fake card waving yesterday...tbh, you see as much of that in the Prem.

Alex Ferguson has the best record of any manager in this Country in recent years, and has heaped praise on Barcelona and has said they are the best team they have ever faced. He also mentions the cycle of great teams and whether they can continue. He say's they have the 'philosophy' in place to do this. He also acknowledges that he has to move forward again. He insisted United tried to play their normal game which was good enough the win the Premier League this season but they never got to grips with the way Barcelona retained possession and dominated midfield.

Well if the most succesful manager in Premier League football can see it, then surely we should.

I can't see a whole new set up being put in place at City, but as someone else has pointed out in this thread, some money needs to be invested in our youth coaching and academy. At present imho, it is a complete waste of time. A bit of investment and creative coaching, could pay big dividends in the future.

You tried to turn a discussion about whether English football could be more like the spanish passing game into a dig at Millen.

You know, your harping on about Millen is actually WORSE than Robbored's was with Johnson. At least he knew when to give it a break.

AGREE.

that is absolute rubbish - for starters, I give millen credit when its due.

There is no way I go on like robbo did - I just give my opinion here and there - nowhere near as much pointless negativity that robbo used to spout.

Hey lads...everyone has different opinions. No need to ruin this thread over disagreements in opinions. There is room for us all to live with one another on here.

If you really don't like what other people say, maybe do as i do, and place them on your ignore list. That way you don't have to read it.

All this bickering looks so silly. We are all BCFC fans remember. Would you do all this bickering in front to Steve Lansdown? Just because we are behind keyboards means nothing. The Mods have our IP address and he can see who we really are by cross referencing with membership addresses.

Some of us would be really embarrased i'm sure.

There is no way I go on like robbo did - I just give my opinion here and there - nowhere near as much pointless negativity that robbo used to spout.

Really? Go look at your last few months of posting history, then go look at Robbo's a year and a half ago.

Really? Go look at your last few months of posting history, then go look at Robbo's a year and a half ago.

I have been consistent in my opinion that he will fail.... unfortunately.

Is there anything wrong with that? I certainly dont have a vendetta against millen...

If we finish in the top 6 I will say I am wrong.

Did robbo after we got promotion and more???

These arguments are the same me the old and best mate meet up with tomorrow Robbored talks shit we all know that but other people lets not get personal, its banter and a opinions we live in a free state and on here we can have fun taking the piss out of each other alsong has is those not go to far, man up and lets keep taking the piss.

These arguments are the same me the old and best mate meet up with tomorrow Robbored talks shit we all know that but other people lets not get personal, its banter and a opinions we live in a free state and on here we can have fun taking the piss out of each other alsong has is those not go to far, man up and lets keep taking the piss.

I'm all for banter...but it's the same people, with the same old arguements and disagreements, just repeating themselves in various threads all over the forum.

It's playground stuff...'you said this, he said that, go and check this, see if i'm right...my Dads bigger than your dad, it's my ball and i'm gonna go home if i'm not captain and Centre Forward...jeez :rolleyes:

We've all done it, but it's getting boring now...don't you think? Anyone who reads this forum on a regular basis, knows what peoples individual thoughts are...so why keep repeating it?

Plenty of other teams play passing football, unfortunately for them they dont have 3 of the best players in the world playing for them. Xavi, Messi and Iniesta are brilliant footballers. Put them in the Man Utd side and people would be saying the Man Utd system is the best in the world and we should copy that.

The funny thing is Man City are cash rich but bore the shit out of everyone, with all the money in the world they still wouldn't come close to being as good as Barcelona no matter how much they throw money around. It has taken a long time for Barcelona to reach that level, the next set of kids coming through is unlikely to have 3 players of that quality.

Plenty of other teams play passing football, unfortunately for them they dont have 3 of the best players in the world playing for them. Xavi, Messi and Iniesta are brilliant footballers. Put them in the Man Utd side and people would be saying the Man Utd system is the best in the world and we should copy that.

The funny thing is Man City are cash rich but bore the shit out of everyone, with all the money in the world they still wouldn't come close to being as good as Barcelona no matter how much they throw money around. It has taken a long time for Barcelona to reach that level, the next set of kids coming through is unlikely to have 3 players of that quality.

I'm not sure i understand where you are coming from, as you contradict yourself in both paragraphs.

The reason Barca are so good, is that the majority of the team have grown up together, playing through the youth system. They know how each other thinks, can pre empt movement...they've been practicing together for years.

If you took the 3 players you mentioned to Man Utd, it doesn't mean they would have the best system, however good those players are.

Real Madrid tried buying up all the great players not so long ago with their 'Galactico's' team. It didn't work.

Investment i quality Youth and great coaches at youth level, within the confines of a philosophy and system seem to be the way forward for the future imho, and it makes common sense when you think about it. Wouldn't you agree?

If we finish in the top 6 I will say I am wrong.

Riaz - This comment just sums up what is wrong at City - We have about 6 players on good wages that no Manager would want, a Chairman looking to cut wages, a need to get the Academy working after being mothballed by GJ and a focus on signing up and coming players rather than experienced journeymen. And as we transform, nothing less than a top 6 finish is required! Not having a pop, I just think that expectations need to be realistic.

Next season will be tough, 21st will do for me!

Riaz - This comment just sums up what is wrong at City - We have about 6 players on good wages that no Manager would want, a Chairman looking to cut wages, a need to get the Academy working after being mothballed by GJ and a focus on signing up and coming players rather than experienced journeymen. And as we transform, nothing less than a top 6 finish is required! Not having a pop, I just think that expectations need to be realistic.

Next season will be tough, 21st will do for me!

I actually agree. I'm not saying if we finish outside the top 6, he deserves the sack, far from it.

I'm saying that if he did that then he would have well and truly proved me wrong and I would have under-estimated him.

I think we'll be mid-table or bottom half...... which would be acceptable for me - I'm not going to be suicidal when that happens. I'm just of the opinion that we'll never acheive any success under millen - whether it be next season or in the next 5 seasons.

no unrealistic expectations from me - just saying that millen could win me over.

I'm not sure i understand where you are coming from, as you contradict yourself in both paragraphs.

The reason Barca are so good, is that the majority of the team have grown up together, playing through the youth system. They know how each other thinks, can pre empt movement...they've been practicing together for years.

If you took the 3 players you mentioned to Man Utd, it doesn't mean they would have the best system, however good those players are.

Real Madrid tried buying up all the great players not so long ago with their 'Galactico's' team. It didn't work.

Investment i quality Youth and great coaches at youth level, within the confines of a philosophy and system seem to be the way forward for the future imho, and it makes common sense when you think about it. Wouldn't you agree?

They have 3 of the best footballers on the planet, you put them in the Man Utd side and Man Utd would have won handsomely last night. People said Man Utd had the best system when Neville, Beckham, Scholes, Giggs all came through within a few years of each other, now it's Barcas turn to profit from a batch, it wont always be that way. They wont find a Messi, Iniesta, Xavi so readily next crop. The point being they have been really fortunate that these players came about at the same time, it's not all about great systems in place, it helps of course but, these are born brilliant footballers, you cannot coach an average player to become a Messi etc.

Fair enough. However , looking at his record I think I'd rather stick with Millen.

It would be interesting to know the thoughts of others based on his record. Quite a few sackings and relegations on his CV.

It's not clear what his idea's are regarding youth development , but he doesn't seem to stay anywhre for long enough.

http://en.wikipedia....an_Manuel_Lillo

Thats has to be the worst record ive seen for a manager. to manage from such a young age is quite impressive though.

Could you imagine the fans reaction when the team prepares for kick off,

'Goal keeper...ok, Left Back, two centre backs, right back good, good.... wait - what the ****, get a grip where's our ***** strikers, get a ****** clue, ******* **** manager, seriously 2 high wide players and a packed midfield, who the **** do you think we are you **** stupid ****** ******, go and **** off, I can't beleive this ****"

best stick to the 4-4-2 as I can guarantee your average fan aint for change....

Could you imagine the fans reaction when the team prepares for kick off,

'Goal keeper...ok, Left Back, two centre backs, right back good, good.... wait - what the ****, get a grip where's our ***** strikers, get a ****** clue, ******* **** manager, seriously 2 high wide players and a packed midfield, who the **** do you think we are you **** stupid ****** ******, go and **** off, I can't beleive this ****"

best stick to the 4-4-2 as I can guarantee your average fan aint for change....

Exactly, we know what we like in this country, I can gaurantee people in this country would be bored of 40 passes before we reach the half way line, the football in this country has been built on fast attacking play, getting the ball forward quickly, fast wingers, hard tackling midfielders etc.

Barcelona (spain) are the latest fad, before them we had French football, German, Italian, Brazillian, even us English have worn the crown in Europe throughout the late 70's and 80's and of course we had the best team in the late 60's. This Barcelona side is the best now, maybe tomorrow it will be going back to Germany, they have some terrific young players coming through, even England have some very good players coming through.

And this is why English football is still in the dark ages.

You mention the 60's, 70's and 80's...over 30 years ago!!!

Read again, football goes in cycles. Spain, Barca are having theres at the moment. It wont last forever. The King is dead long live the king.

Sorry Riaz me ald cocker. With Nibor on this, you do give Millen a hard time yet he did keep the team in th Championship when in October 2010 we were dead and buried!

Juan Manuel Lillo is one. There are many others of his ilk.

Out of interest, why did you use Lillo as an example? Although he started his managerial career well, hes been pretty unremarkable since the mid 90's? Not having a dig or anything, just thought it was a funny example? As for your original point, i personally feel we are making the right steps with the academy at the minute, but we really do need to make better use of it. Going to a 'continental' style of management at the club could well be good in the future, at the moment, Millen is doing fine, but if/when he goes it could be a good change of pace for the club.

Sorry Riaz me ald cocker. With Nibor on this, you do give Millen a hard time yet he did keep the team in th Championship when in October 2010 we were dead and buried!

I'm not denying that Millen hasn't done a good job to date. He has his strengths that has got us through the season just gone. His signings for example are very good.

He has also been a good servant to the club, and He's a good guy. so I don't hate him!

We have some very good players, but I doubt he'll make them into a good team. And that's my point. I don't think we'll go anywhere.

I'm not denying that Millen hasn't done a good job to date. He has his strengths that has got us through the season just gone. His signings for example are very good.

He has also been a good servant to the club, and He's a good guy. so I don't hate him!

We have some very good players, but I doubt he'll make them into a good team. And that's my point. I don't think we'll go anywhere.

Riaz, Some have compared your constant critism of Millen as on par with my critism of Johnson in the past. However I see a big difference. My critism of Johnson was based on what I saw on the pitch and information that was coming from the dressing room and how GJ behaved behind the scenes. In other words my critism of Johnson was based on facts and nothing else.

Not so with your critism of Millen which its clear to see is based on nothing more than he wasn't your choice of manager.

Why don't you just look at what he achieved last season in from a difficult start, with most agree was an under strength squad. He developed a side capable of holding its own in the Championship despite a horrendous injury list for virtually all of the season and yet, despite evidence to the contrary you still believe that he's not capable of making City into a good team.

His metal will tested next season when all the summer dealings are sown up and he has the players to build and improve from last season.

Riaz, Some have compared your constant critism of Millen as on par with my critism of Johnson in the past. However I see a big difference. My critism of Johnson was based on what I saw on the pitch and information that was coming from the dressing room and how GJ behaved behind the scenes. In other words my critism of Johnson was based on facts and nothing else.

Not so with your critism of Millen which its clear to see is based on nothing more than he wasn't your choice of manager.

Why don't you just look at what he achieved last season in from a difficult start, with most agree was an under strength squad. He developed a side capable of holding its own in the Championship despite a horrendous injury list for virtually all of the season and yet, despite evidence to the contrary you still believe that he's not capable of making City into a good team.

His metal will tested next season when all the summer dealings are sown up and he has the players to build and improve from last season.

Oh dear robbo, you are very hypocritical!

I think you'll find that I wanted millen to be given the opportunity - he deserved it.

My judgement is purely to do with what I have seen on the pitch. I feel he is very weak tatically.

I have never even met millen..... I dont know him personally - there is no bad feeling between us...... unlike....

Archived