IGNORED

Championship Playoff Final - Match Thread

Jordan Tansley

It's almost worth seeing a Welsh team in the prem just because its gonna piss off cardiff so much! Can't argue with the result though they deserved it.

Can't argue with that; they are an excellent side. Crapdiff will not be able to claim they are the first side outside of England to play in the Premier League. That at least has some value.

:winner_third_h4h:

well done swansea, for some reason I like them and they have a terrific manager who play the right way of football.

Well run club with excellent Chairman and great philosophy on and off the field so well deserved. Same can be said if Reading and I hope they get thyeir chance next year. Both clubs good role models for us.

Can't argue with that; they are an excellent side. Crapdiff will not be able to claim they are the first side outside of England to play in the Premier League. That at least has some value.

:winner_third_h4h:

Because football only began in 1992 ;)

It's not the English league, it's the football league which represents clubs from England and Wales.

If you are going to be an English nationalist, have the good grace to know your history!

Well done Swansea by the way. Putting aside rivalries, they play great football, and the way the club is run, the way they've risen through the leagues is a credit to our sport really.

It's not the English league, it's the football league which represents clubs from England and Wales.

If you are going to be an English nationalist, have the good grace to know your history!

Its known the world over as the EPL. Why's that then?

UEFA regard it as English.

An opinion is obviously fine, but it's not the English league. It's the football league which represents clubs from both England and Wales.

Life aint always black and white butty.

CBL, perhapps you can clear up an discussion i've been having with colleagues; I'm sure you or Robin Friday have stated in the past that Swansea and Crapdiff have tried to move under the auspices of the English FA but that UEFA have blocked it. I'm pretty sure that PL rules state that clubs must be governed by the EFA, so what will happen? I can't imagine UEFA backing down to please the PL any more than the PL would change their rules to accomodate one club. Or was the 'We're not allowed to join the English FA so its not our fault that the Welsh FA keep being nice to us argument' a lie?

These whole Islands are mixed up when it comes to Sport. Great Britain, UK, England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales...who are we?

The same can be said of Cricket. The Welsh play for England.

When it comes to sport, I personally don't agree with any of us playing under the banner of Great Britain or UK. We should all represent our individual Nations.

And when it comes to football, as much as i admire Swansea, imho, Wales should have their own Professional League like Scotland and Ireland and their own governing body that controls it. Any Welsh side should play in that League. It speaks volumes when the FA have to ask for special dispensation for Welsh sides to FIFA.

All imho of course...

OUR VALUES

COMMUNITY: We are at the heart of 72 communities across England and Wales, and share the pride and heritage of each.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/RoleAndValues/0,,10794,00.html

Swansea have been playing in the football league since 1920. Before many of your grandfathers were just a twinkle in your great grandfathers eyes.

I appreciate the argument. Football league structures could be simplified, but then the constitutional make up of the United Kingdom could be too. The fact is that the UK is a nation state, and the football leagues and sporting infrastructure don't always follow that, hence the differences. viva la difference I say.

We live in beautiful, diverse islands. There is no need for all this hatred and controversy. Where's the problem? Swansea won the match and deserve to be in the Premier League. They are in the league fair and square. The football league is their league. The Welsh league (while something I support) is something imposed by Uefa. Why should we rip up British traditions for their political fancy?

I just think there are quite sinister undertones to this 'English only' thing. I hear it on talksport sometimes, the Daily Mail is often itching to talk about it as well. It's like politically motivated Madristas who want to force Barcelona into a Catalan league. I'm not saying that's everyone's motivation, but I think it's the motivation for a decent chunk.

People should leave it be, have the good grace to acknowledge Swansea deserve to be there and move on.

As a fan of Cardiff, I'm telling you, this league we play in is mine as much as it is yours.

OUR VALUES

COMMUNITY: We are at the heart of 72 communities across England and Wales, and share the pride and heritage of each.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/RoleAndValues/0,,10794,00.html

Swansea have been playing in the football league since 1920. Before many of your grandfathers were just a twinkle in your great grandfathers eyes.

I appreciate the argument. Football league structures could be simplified, but then the constitutional make up of the United Kingdom could be too. The fact is that the UK is a nation state, and the football leagues and sporting infrastructure don't always follow that, hence the differences. viva la difference I say.

We live in beautiful, diverse islands. There is no need for all this hatred and controversy. Where's the problem? Swansea won the match and deserve to be in the Premier League. They are in the league fair and square. The football league is their league. The Welsh league (while something I support) is something imposed by Uefa. Why should we rip up British traditions for their political fancy?

I just think there are quite sinister undertones to this 'English only' thing. I hear it on talksport sometimes, the Daily Mail is often itching to talk about it as well. It's like politically motivated Madristas who want to force Barcelona into a Catalan league. I'm not saying that's everyone's motivation, but I think it's the motivation for a decent chunk.

People should leave it be, have the good grace to acknowledge Swansea deserve to be there and move on.

As a fan of Cardiff, I'm telling you, this league we play in is mine as much as it is yours.

Swansea are in the prem at the expense of an english team.

I appreciate the Welsh clubs need to be in this league to be financially viable but the fact is they are not english and any position they take is costing an english club the chance to progress through it's national league.

there is no arguement for welsh teams to be playing english teams in the league other than they always have done and it would financially ruin them to stop now. That shouldnt be a consideration though as the english FA owe nothing to welsh teams and should be doing all it can to help english teams progress.

We dont ask to play in La Liga because we are not Spanish. Nice as it would be to play Barcelona and Real Madrid.

It's like politically motivated Madristas who want to force Barcelona into a Catalan league. I'm not saying that's everyone's motivation, but I think it's the motivation for a decent chunk.

What the hell is a "politically motivated Madrista"!!??

And who exactly is campaigning to kick Barcelona out of the Spanish league?

Yep. Lived there for a period of time.

In the mid-90s when they had a playoff final and almost reached the Prem, every man and his dog in town became a Reading fan, like they had spent the last 20 years going to every game at Elm Park. Bunch of know-it-alls they were.

After losing, you barely saw a Reading shirt again. They all disappeared.

Very fair-weather imo.

Yeah, not like we've ever had that happen with us.

OUR VALUES

http://www.football-...,,10794,00.html

So, just to be clear: you want to have a separate Assembly for parliamentary matters (not an option the English have); you want to have free NHS prescriptions for health matters (not an option the English have); and you want to have one League for English and Welsh teams (not an option the English have).

Rearrange the words: eat, cake, have, and, it, your

It's the English league mate (sorry, butty).

You can dress it up all you like - all Welsh clubs should be in their own league and be proud of it.

Swansea are a good side and a decent club, but they should be in the Welsh Premier League and so should Cardiff, Wrexham, Newport and Colwyn Bay - it would make the Welsh league much stronger and maybe give some credibility to the Welsh football league, and offer regular European football to the likes of Cardiff and Swansea.

Its only English in name. League legislation was broadened eighty years back to include teams from the South AND Wales. Originally it was a Northern league and Bristol City played in a league containing Trowbridge and Warmley as well as Spurs.

OUR VALUES

http://www.football-...,,10794,00.html

I agree with you to a certain extent; while it may be the English Premier League, we do live in the UK and i don't think its skin off anyones nose if they compete in our football pyramid. The English clubs have just as much chance to get promoted and indeed 2 of them did. However, and to reiterate my previous question, I'm sure its been claimed on here that UEFA refuse to let Swansea and Cardiff move under the administration of the English FA, but this would place Swansea in breach of Premier League rules. So, was that just a smokescreen to hide the fact that the Welsh FA do not impose the same regulations as the EFA, i.e. disciplinary matters, 3rd party ownership regulations, etc, and you lot realise this? I can't see how Swansea can play in the PL while still being administered by the WFA and if they move to the EFA, surely Cardiff should be made to as well?

So, just to be clear: you want to have a separate Assembly for parliamentary matters (not an option the English have); you want to have free NHS prescriptions for health matters (not an option the English have); and you want to have one League for English and Welsh teams (not an option the English have).

Rearrange the words: eat, cake, have, and, it, your

Yeah, because everyone in Wales thinks with one collective voice. Ridiculous.

Fail.

Its only English in name. League legislation was broadened eighty years back to include teams from the South AND Wales. Originally it was a Northern league and Bristol City played in a league containing Trowbridge and Warmley as well as Spurs.

And, someone will correct me if I am wrong, I believe that Bristol City used to play in the Welsh Cup many years ago. Also Berwick Rangers, who are in England, play in the Scottish League. Never did understand that one.

And, someone will correct me if I am wrong, I believe that Bristol City used to play in the Welsh Cup many years ago. Also Berwick Rangers, who are in England, play in the Scottish League. Never did understand that one.

City won it once by playing a team of drunks found lying in the street.

exactly.

Times change. The political map changes. Welsh teams want to stay in the english FA controlled leagues because its financially beneficial. No other reason. Not tradition, not a love for the english, just money.

That money should be going to english teams as that is where the english FA's focus should be.

I think there was a rule inviting teams from "border counties".

I agree with you to a certain extent; while it may be the English Premier League, we do live in the UK and i don't think its skin off anyones nose if they compete in our football pyramid. The English clubs have just as much chance to get promoted and indeed 2 of them did. However, and to reiterate my previous question, I'm sure its been claimed on here that UEFA refuse to let Swansea and Cardiff move under the administration of the English FA, but this would place Swansea in breach of Premier League rules. So, was that just a smokescreen to hide the fact that the Welsh FA do not impose the same regulations as the EFA, i.e. disciplinary matters, 3rd party ownership regulations, etc, and you lot realise this? I can't see how Swansea can play in the PL while still being administered by the WFA and if they move to the EFA, surely Cardiff should be made to as well?

http://www.cardiffcity-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/fa_to_govern_cardiff_and_swansea_677000/index.shtml

Cardiff and Swansea will now come under the auspices of the Football Association. Personally I think it is the right thing.

Of course, it won't be enough to satisfy some of the more militant anti-Welsh out there, but it is nonetheless a good thing and removes the total myth that Cardiff and Swansea get preferential treatment from the FAW (which was always total fantasy anyway)

Archived