IGNORED

Ashtonyate

eastonboy

poor old Ashtonyate, used to find his threads quite funny actually. A man who had so much time for our academy :yawn:

But come to think of it. Other than seeing a bit of Christian Ribeiro, The club in the last couple of years haven't seen a lot of players come through the academy really. So it's probabley has cost us more money than gaining recently. But i guess he would of been just as happy as all of us to see Joe Edwards and Bobby Reid get a run-out in his last game.

RIP

It was somewhat ironic that his last game saw us thumping Hull 3-0 with a whole host of Academy lads in the team. I copy this from ZH to highlight his thoughts after that game.

(Taken from the topic "Things look bright for next season" started by AY)

"Got to say we looked good today which promise good for next season JCR looked good in midfield buzzing around he has come good in the last few game i was impressed with the new kids and think we are looking better at the back in fact the whole team looked comfortable on the ball.A midfielder left back and forward if Maynard goes and next season will be interesting. "

Replying to my post analysing the youngsters, he had this to say-

"I agree soon as we were safe the youngsters should have been blooded, I do like Pitman he could become a very good player next season along side Stead we could at last have a forward line to recon with.It was nice to see SL had a good send off if you could call it that I don't think he will be far away from pulling the strings."

He also stitched me up a kipper on the "Here's a whistle and some cards"

His question -

Here is one for you Rog Your the ref last minute the attacking sides forward shots from 40 yds its going just under the bar but hits a large bird and goes over what would you do?

my answer - (Goal kick- he can't retrospectively award a goal for something that never hit the back of the net - Liverpool goal last season when it hit a beach ball.)

His reply -

sorry your wrong its a penalty.

My (tongue in cheek) terse reply -How the bloody hell is it a penalty?

Was the bird (we are talking of the avian variety nes pas?) wearing a football shirt of the defending team?

It can't be a penalty as the defending team have committed no act.

Bollocks to this, I'm going to make my own shit up.

QUESTION

If the time is 37:55 according to the refs watch, who, as we all know is NOT the sole time-keeper, and the ball is in Preston and hit at 67.6mph by Andy Lonergan from a goal kick and it flies 27.6 miles and lands in Manchester Uniteds goal at Old Trafford, taking down a boeing 747 and several Canada Geese on route, what do you as the station master of your Hornby railway set do?

And half a day later he comes up with this-

Its a penalty because it was a fowl and if there is a fowl in the box its a penalty I thought you knew about football

Classic AY. Gone but not forgotten.

This is sad news, my condolences to Ashtonyate's family.

As I only get my online fix from otib and not ziderheads I have to admit that there have been several times in the past when I have felt saddened that Ashtonyate was no longer part of this otib community. When I used to post regularly I would occasionally get in a debate with him and he always seemed to give an honest view even if it was a view that occasionally ignored facts. I have fond memories of reading his debates with Nibor where Nibor would stay engaged after others had given up the will to continue so the debate just rumbled on. And on.

There may have been times when his views caused frustration but it is the words of people with the strength of character to persevere that often makes for the most interesting and thought provoking discussions on this forum. Although I never met him I am sad that we've read his last words.

Ashton Yate, Bobby Charlton Red Goblin and I , were a minority. Three of us in our 60's and young Gobbers agreed on the Academy.

He will be sorely missed ! Its sad when you see older posters nailed to a cross by the younger posters, it was no different on ZH, he was constantly a very vigorous minority, good for him. I'me even older, in failing health so its a real wake up call for me.

Ashton Yate stuck to his guns and posted beyond reason to get his point across. I dont have the same patience and dont post much anymore, I cant handle the rudeness and bickering, I guess its the standards of a bygone era.

It was good however for Ashton Yate and myself to hang around long enought to participate in the computor age forum.

His breed are few. I will miss him and his singular yet strong points of view.

RIP AshtonYate.

You are well thought of.

Rednready.[ 68 ]

This is very sad news. Ashton Yate made some brilliant posts about the academy on this very forum many years ago. I was - indeed - one of the very few that agreed with him. I'll miss his posts because - as Rednready rightly states - Ashton Yate was from a bygone era of football and life in general - and a far better era in my honest opinion. Such a great shame that he was banned so often for his forthright and honest opinions.

RIP Ashton Yate - a truely great and controversial poster and I'll miss him.

Red Goblin [46]

I enjoyed Ashtonyate's many posts on this forum, although my agreement level was often low. However much like me and many of us here he was passionate about Bristol City FC and that in my mind is always the definition of a solid guy.

I will miss reading his thoughts

RIP fella!

Condolonces to family and friends. AY was one of the first posters I noticed when I became a regular on here. A lively debate was always guaranteed when he pulled the pin and launched the grenade!

Will be missed old son............keep an eye on us from up there

Jackofromrugby

Condolonces to family and friends. AY was one of the first posters I noticed when I became a regular on here. A lively debate was always guaranteed when he pulled the pin and launched the grenade!

Will be missed old son............keep an eye on us from up there

Jackofromrugby

Ashton Yate often used to 'pull the pin and launch the grenade' on my 'Red Goblin speaks out' section of the BCFC zider heads website. I've just bumped 7 of his controversial and topical threads to the top of my forum as a tribute to the great and prolific poster that was Ashton Yate.

Very sad news and a great shame that we didn't manage to get back into the top flight in Ashtonyate's lifetime.

His posts on here and ZH were always passionate and thought provoking and I looked forward to them. Whether we agreed with him or not he will be sadly missed.

RIP AY and condolences to his family

Ashton Yate often used to 'pull the pin and launch the grenade' on my 'Red Goblin speaks out' section of the BCFC zider heads website. I've just bumped 7 of his controversial and topical threads to the top of my forum as a tribute to the great and prolific poster that was Ashton Yate.

Just had a quick look at those threads Gobbers.

I wondered how old AY was and reading the start of his '65 and still standing nearly' thread noticed, somewhat poignantly, he would have been 66 this very day.sad.gif

From experience I can tell that most people reaching their 50/60:s got a life as interesting as the one of an indoor cat.

The stories told are in general 20/30 years old and undoubtly great fun to hear each day for a couple of years but then it gets depressing. For years it seems that absolutely nothing out of interest has happened.

Ashtonyate was a great exception.

This evening I have received a very sad email from one of Ashtonyates family

Elliott

I am Mike's son in law and I can see from his email that he had regular banter on the Ziderhead community. I would be grateful if you could let all know the sad news that he passed away at the weekend.

He will be sadly missed by all and I in turn as a Gas Head will miss the banter which this season left me always on the loosing end!

He leaves a wife and daughter to carry on the City tradition and he had already started to convert my daughter although I have managed to keep my son the right colours.

All the best

Stuart

RIP Mike Maloney :(

r.i.p ashtonyate

city till you died

condolonses to family

red66

Its easy to forget at times when were on a forum and opinions are being "discussed", that we are all Bristol City fans and want the same thing. success for our beloved club.

Whether you agreed with him or not, he was still one of us.

RIP

Perfect.

I am proud of the outpouring of grief for Ashton Yate, a great reflection on the forum after so much negativity in recent months.

I would like to suggest a forum RIP Memorial sub list. As time goes by, OTIB will have more and more members pass on and many of us will never know where certain posters have disappeared to. Computor forums are a relatively recent activity, not known say 15 to 20 years ago.

Something simple like, AshtonYate aged 65, June 2011, then the next member by date.

Give some feedback, see where we go. Supporters Trust or Tom may or may not agree, however its just a thought.

Archived