IGNORED

Ryan Taylor (Merged)

FanaticRed

I'm pretty surprised at this, partly because I'd have expected strikers not to be the priority but mainly that when signing a player from a league two club I'd have hoped their fans would be pretty unanimously agreed he was a good player for them whereas Rotherham fans seem to be largely split on the issue.

However Keith Millen has shown a good eye so far so we can be hopeful he has seem something some of them haven't. Welcome to BCFC and best of luck to you Ryan Taylor.

Hard to know if it is hard feelings though. Watch out for how many say Maynard isn't much cop anyway if he goes.

I'd be very surprised if the total spent for both Bolasie and Taylor exceeded 100k.

In the overall scheme of things, that isn't going to break the bank.

OK, the wages need to be paid, but again these two aren't going to be big earners from the outset.

If we can get another decent loanee or two in defence plus a decent midfielder, we'll be stronger than last season - not enough for top 6 in my opinion, but a step in the right direction.

It's not the just the size of the transfer fee, it's the wages. Even if the two new signings are not big earners they will probably be on at least £5,000 a week which means we will have £10,000 a week less to offer a potential centre half or creative midfielder who could make a real difference to our season. You can only spend the money once.

Making what up about what?

Clearly, being concerned that we are still expanding the squad in areas that arent really needed despite having a huge squad already is obviously great for creating a balanced squad, which is something that is being rammed down the throats of the fans as being the ultimate aim over the last 12 months, yet the transfer policy has largely flown in the face of that.

As said in the response to nibor its at the expense of as we are making permenant signings in areas that are not of priority and this was according to the management.

Regarding strengthening? what have we strengthened exactly? As said you can only play so many players in certain positions and barring a massive clear out which doesnt appear to be forthcoming we are stacking up players for no apparent good reason with the associated wages fees and whatever that comes with it

Yes players come up at different times, but piggy backing failed moves to make signings in areas we dont 'appear' to need is getting quite frankly ridiculous in terms of what is apparently wanted by the club.

Next up a keeper should Hendo go? Having 4 down to 3 for 1 position not enough. Good grief

you're making up that signing Taylor and Bolasie will have an effect on any other incomings. I don't understand how you couldn't have picked that up from my original response.

In all honesty, Keith, Wigley, Colin and Steve know a lot more about football and what we need than you... I'll go along with the fact that Millens record in the transfer market (despite the apparent "piggy backing") is better than good.

It's not the just the size of the transfer fee, it's the wages. Even if the two new signings are not big earners they will probably be on at least £5,000 a week which means we will have £10,000 a week less to offer a potential centre half or creative midfielder who could make a real difference to our season. You can only spend the money once.

Would be shocked if either of them were on £5k a week. I would have thought they'll be on half of that at best

you're making up that signing Taylor and Bolasie will have an effect on any other incomings. I don't understand how you couldn't have picked that up from my original response.

In all honesty, Keith, Wigley, Colin and Steve know a lot more about football and what we need than you... I'll go along with the fact that Millens record in the transfer market (despite the apparent "piggy backing") is better than good.

All very true, as long as I stated we manage to offload a striker and a winger in the process.

All very true, as long as I stated we manage to offload a striker and a winger in the process.

Striker I can understand, though with Nicky off that could be him.

Winger? We have JCR, Adomah, Bolaisie and Woolford after getting shot of Sproule? That's right isn't it? 2 people per position = squad?

I haven't missed anyone have I?

Would be shocked if either of them were on £5k a week. I would have thought they'll be on half of that at best

agreed, especially taylor coming from league 2 and having not been able to prove his worth yet. these are two very cheap signings and both could prove to be quality players. no point in getting all worked up that we haven't signed important positions....yet. KM has things under control me thinks

I read somewhere that the average wage for a Championship footballer is over £200,000 a year but I may be wrong. I would have thought that a club like City would pay average wages or perhaps slightly more.

It was a comment on the signings so far under Millen

3 LW Rose(loan)/Woolford/Bolassie (?)

5 Strikers as mentioned above

1 CB Caulker (loan)

1RB/CB Spence (loan)

The players 'needed' have long been identified by the manager and the positions to do something permenantly. To address this we have signed permenantly players that arent needed as a priority thats why on the face of it appears to be at the expense of.

Instead we seem to be resulting on piggybacking failed moves elsewhere Pitman, Stead, Taylor and signing players for the sake of it because they are cheap (Bolassie) Proper Champ Manager styley.' Ooh hes free we will have him', with naff all afterthought.

Its not a long term solution to buying players and is very haphazard at best. Im assuming possibly naively that we will be waiting until the Prem squads are announced or whatever to pick up some loans potentially to fill the longstanding needed issues Ie Midfield and at the back, because they are not seeming to be areas that are high on importance currently ( there is also the issue of quality, we cant sign a Caulker type every season). Its not about signing players in order after being linked with Jones, Johnson and McAuley it appears moves were in place to address these issues but since the rebuttals the moves for priority players seems to have gone out the window so we can sign more uneeded players.

Its a very dangerous transfer policy to operate and its not aimed at the players who may well be very good. Its just such a nonsensical way of doing things as it still leaves the squad massively unbalanced in areas that we have been identfying for years ( management and fans) that are needed

We desperately needed a left winger when Rose was signed. Woolford wasn't signed until after we knew Rose wasn't coming back. Picking up a player like Bolasie who we've been aware of for a time because he's available cheaply is a good move and leaves us with four wide players for two positions, two of which can play either side - ideal balance.

Five strikers? Yeah, but I'd bet on at least one going and the signings of Pitman and Stead were both good moves.

Spence and Caulker were great loan signings too.

There's no problem with any of these and they don't have any bearing on whether or not we will get players in the positions where our need is greater.

You're making the mistaken assumption that just because you personally aren't seeing any movement on a central midfielder or a left back that there is none and our transfer policy is to sign players at random. It doesn't follow in the least.

The manager has said clearly that he wants to fill those two positions but it isn't as simple as picking names out of the air, the right players have to be available at the right price. Signing other players who add to the squad doesn't change that.

if you think players like Bolasie and Taylor earn 5 grand a week for us can I suggest your not involved in negotiations on behalf of the club.

I read somewhere that the average wage for a Championship footballer is over £200,000 a year but I may be wrong. I would have thought that a club like City would pay average wages or perhaps slightly more.

But that average includes people on top dollar. On £15k-£20k...

So players like Bolaisie and Taylor will be on below average wages.

Except by definition an average means some players are getting less and some more. I'd wager Bolassie and Taylor are in the former group.

Agree with this.

I for one am delighted with the clubs current transfer policy. I would much rather we are looking to bring in young, hungry determined players from the lower leagues than signing the likes of Marlon King as Birmingham have just done!!

Obviously they wont all turn out to be gems like Albert Adomah but at least they really want to be at the club, don't cost a fortune and are looking to make an impression.

You only have to listen to the Millen interview to understand we are trying to bring in a midfielder and a couple defenders. These things take time.

Honestly woman you're such a ginger hussy! :laughcont:

I know, it's great as there is almost no competition! :dancing6:

I just wanted to lighten this thread a bit, with all those who have written the poor bloke off already. Think Albert people!

See Redlands post 185 (?) as well again something different finite resources, not unlimited, lowering available wages etc without a clear out and so on

As for the dont understand, then dont, just dont troll on the back of it

Your just doing your trolling schtick you know without doing anything other than to pour scorn on anyone who dares to have a different opinion, or at least consider something different from your own. You started with the sarky ooh look at those digging into the new signing earlier in the thread and have regressed from there.

Stating that all this is better than you stuff is really not helping any discussion is it? So why bother posting on a 'discussion' board if its the case if you aren't prepared to have one.

Cheers

Troll on the back of you missing the point i was making in the "discussion" you claim to want? Good one.

Point regarding the manager is, He and the others I mention know what is going on behind the scenes. The jist I get from your posts is that you assume just because you know nothing of the transfers we're involved in and the potential outgoings, that there is none. You're making out like we should be signing players in order of priority? do you think football works like that?

I couldn't care less that you have a differing opinion to me, and I do consider alternative views... In this case however your view that signing a striker and a winger could result in us not signing a player in another position is so ludicrous that it does not deserve consideration...

We desperately needed a left winger when Rose was signed. Woolford wasn't signed until after we knew Rose wasn't coming back. Picking up a player like Bolasie who we've been aware of for a time because he's available cheaply is a good move and leaves us with four wide players for two positions, two of which can play either side - ideal balance.

Five strikers? Yeah, but I'd bet on at least one going and the signings of Pitman and Stead were both good moves.

Spence and Caulker were great loan signings too.

There's no problem with any of these and they don't have any bearing on whether or not we will get players in the positions where our need is greater.

You're making the mistaken assumption that just because you personally aren't seeing any movement on a central midfielder or a left back that there is none and our transfer policy is to sign players at random. It doesn't follow in the least.

The manager has said clearly that he wants to fill those two positions but it isn't as simple as picking names out of the air, the right players have to be available at the right price. Signing other players who add to the squad doesn't change that.

it really is that simple!

if you think players like Bolasie and Taylor earn 5 grand a week for us can I suggest your not involved in negotiations on behalf of the club.

Fag packet maths from the accounts erring on the side of caution shows that the average (mean) in OUR squad of 31 players in 09/10 was around £6k a week net.

It's not far fetched at all that Bolasie and Taylor are on approaching £5k. There are a good half a dozen that will be on much less as "development group" players.

The bulk of the squad will be on £5-6k and a few like Maynard, Stead and James will be around or breaking five figures.

There's crossed wires somewhere here. Im not dissing the quality of the players and have said as much somewhere. Just pointing out that the transfer policy has been odd in comparison with what is supposed to be needed and that since the initial enquiries for Johnson, McAuley and Jones, that side of things has gone awful quiet and we have signed a striker and a winger one again on the piggy back of a 'failed' transfer and another because he was cheap.

its not saying that we arent saying the players in order, its more a case of we only seem to be signing them after they have been pointed out by some one as going cheap or tried to be signed by someone else especially on the permenant side of things.

Its really annoying to not see other issues addressed as a priority as suggested by management and yet again people seem to be going back to the its much harder than you think mantra. I get that it may well be the case, however I will ask again, if other clubs can sort there stuff out without signing players seemingly willy nilly then why the hell cant this one? Is it something particularly backward in our set up as isnt exactly a new phenomenon and is getting tedious and its becoming dangerous as should these other targets not want to come, not be available or we fail to hijack a deal as we seem to be doing ninja style/ We are still going to have this imbalance in the squad ( for what 3/4th season potentially) and people lauding the intentions at least and slightly ignoring okay completely ignoring that we havent signed what was being promised ( quick signings, priority postions) by the club for the umpteenth time

It may be only me that has these views, but it is a concern and it is a worry. If we sign these needed players then great. What happens if we dont?

The first flaw with your argument is this transfer policy you keep speaking of. You've put it up as a straw man and now you're knocking it down and claiming by implication that Keith got it wrong. Only it's not his policy is it? This transfer policy you speak of, it doesn't exist except as your own imaginings.

I'll accept that we're doing something wrong when I see other Championship clubs with whom we could compete (so not Brum, West Ham, Leeds) signing players in the positions we want them for what looks like value for money. I haven't seen any of that happening yet so I see no reason for telling everyone the sky is falling in.

The second flaw is that you've acknowledged we've made good signings. Doesn't that somewhat contradict your assertion that we only go for players on the cheap or when another deal collapses? Couldn't it equally say, there have been no players available to us in the positions we're short in that are good enough?

It's very early days for the summer spending spree, I'd suggest you wait a bit before the doomsday stuff. Perhaps until the last couple of weeks in August.

There's crossed wires somewhere here. Im not dissing the quality of the players and have said as much somewhere. Just pointing out that the transfer policy has been odd in comparison with what is supposed to be needed and that since the initial enquiries for Johnson, McAuley and Jones, that side of things has gone awful quiet and we have signed a striker and a winger one again on the piggy back of a 'failed' transfer and another because he was cheap.

its not saying that we arent saying the players in order, its more a case of we only seem to be signing them after they have been pointed out by some one as going cheap or tried to be signed by someone else especially on the permenant side of things.

Its really annoying to not see other issues addressed as a priority as suggested by management and yet again people seem to be going back to the its much harder than you think mantra. I get that it may well be the case, however I will ask again, if other clubs can sort there stuff out without signing players seemingly willy nilly then why the hell cant this one? Is it something particularly backward in our set up as isnt exactly a new phenomenon and is getting tedious and its becoming dangerous as should these other targets not want to come, not be available or we fail to hijack a deal as we seem to be doing ninja style/ We are still going to have this imbalance in the squad ( for what 3/4th season potentially) and people lauding the intentions at least and slightly ignoring okay completely ignoring that we havent signed what was being promised ( quick signings, priority postions) by the club for the umpteenth time

It may be only me that has these views, but it is a concern and it is a worry. If we sign these needed players then great. What happens if we dont?

Keith has only recently declared that he will not talk about players he is after. That should have been his policy from the outset. Going on about Caulker and Spence simply raised expectations that he could not meet for instance. He could even have declined to say exactly what positions he was after; saying you want to sign a player in a given position leaves a hostage to fortune if you don't end up getting one. Better to say he wants to strengthen the defence than specify a right back, left back and centre half. Getting 2 out of three of those could be construed as failure by some. Always under-promise and over-deliver if you can.

He also shot himself in the foot by talking about early signings. He made no promise but inevitably some saw it as such. From recent comments he clearly thought he would be able to bring in a few good out of contract players but underestimated the competition there would be for them. That was naive and a symptom of his inexperience I suspect.

Bolassie and Taylor are opportunist signings he sees as low risk with a potential major pay off (like Albert) I imagine. But it does potentially go against a reduction in the squad, though there may be departures in the pipeline we are not aware of. Clearly Colin is ok with the strategy though.

Keith has only recently declared that he will not talk about players he is after. That should have been his policy from the outset. Going on about Caulker and Spence simply raised expectations that he could not meet for instance. He could even have declined to say exactly what positions he was after; saying you want to sign a player in a given position leaves a hostage to fortune if you don't end up getting one. Better to say he wants to strengthen the defence than specify a right back, left back and centre half. Getting 2 out of three of those could be construed as failure by some. Always under-promise and over-deliver if you can.

He also shot himself in the foot by talking about early signings. He made no promise but inevitably some saw it as such. From recent comments he clearly thought he would be able to bring in a few good out of contract players but underestimated the competition there would be for them. That was naive and a symptom of his inexperience I suspect.

Bolassie and Taylor are opportunist signings he sees as low risk with a potential major pay off (like Albert) I imagine. But it does potentially go against a reduction in the squad, though there may be departures in the pipeline we are not aware of. Clearly Colin is ok with the strategy though.

In fairness Millen hasn't talked about players we're after except for ones we're all already aware of or where the other club put it in the public domain. Of course we wanted Caulker and Spence back, that was already obvious. The others he didn't discuss until after they were beyond our reach.

There's a balance between giving enough information and too much, given the number of fans concerned that the gaps in the squad weren't recognised I think KM was right to specify them and give people some confidence that they were understood.

If Millen discusses ongoing transfers before they're complete I will be the first to agree he's wrong but I don't think he's done so yet.

We have Stead, Maynard, Pitman, Clarkson, Jackson and now Taylor

6 in to 2 slots doesnt work

5 into 2 slots doesnt work either. You cant play all of them all the time and to keep youth benched or on loan even though Jackson is now what 21 is getting ridiculous. Lets sign lots of players not to play them on the what if.

Even if a striker is off how many do you actually need. If we go 4-5-1 or play 4-3-3 with Bolassie and Albert pushed up front then you need 6 or 5 into 1 slot. Its insane when we are supposed to be saving money

Its GJ's Clubs in the Bag given a new spin, that's 5 strikers signed/loaned ( Vokes (injured), Pitman, Stead, Keogh, Taylor) by Millen now at the expense of other areas he has 'targetted' as being priority in the space of 12 months

Clearly addressing the' unbalanced squad we have?

Yet if we had an injury crisis, you're the sort of person who would whinge about not having adequate cover.

4 strikers is not enough.

Archived