IGNORED

Ryan Taylor (Merged)

FanaticRed

"Millen was not available to comment on speculation linking him with Rotherham target man Ryan Taylor.

The Evening Post understands City's manager made an enquiry about the 23-year-old striker, but dropped his interest when Championship rivals Millwall tabled an offer. Taylor is expected to sign for the Lions this week."

Why? seems abit strange to make an enquiry about someone and then drop interest as soon as another club makes an offer? surely were more attractive than millwall?

Or maybe we're looking for someone to come in as back up and Millwall, who've just lost their star striker, were offering him first team football- therefore there's little point in wasting time with further negotiation? Also, even if he's out of contract, being under 24 he'll generate compo for Rotherham. Maybe Millwall made an offer up front that we weren't prepared to match? I've never seen the lad play, but i can't say i'm heartbroken that we're no longer in for yet another striker

Perhaps we couldn't match it? We're skint and Keef alluded in his interview that we may well be looking at unproven young talent rather than proven players. Not that I'm saying Taylor is proven

depends on whats being offered maybe rotherham wanted 200k and we were only interested if it was a bargin,

We're not skit we are just being more cost effective if there is a player the Millen really wants Lansdown will push the boat out and sign him, but he has to be value for money so we wouldn#t pay 1.5 million for someone like heskey as you'd only get 2 seasons out of him with zero money back where as we would pay alot of money for someone like I don't know say Simon Cox for example as he is young and city would most likely get a return on its investment,

Maybe skint is the wrong word, but we're certainly cutting our cloth with debts in the double digit millions.

Chipdawg may well be right. Whilst it's easy to hear what you want to hear from and interview and vice versa, the lack of clarity re Maynard remains a concern, and it would appear we are looking at strikers.

Maybe skint is the wrong word, but we're certainly cutting our cloth with debts in the double digit millions.

Chipdawg may well be right. Whilst it's easy to hear what you want to hear from and interview and vice versa, the lack of clarity re Maynard remains a concern, and it would appear we are looking at strikers.

as I've said before that won't be sorted until at least July 1st when the players return to training

Keith has already said he is happy with our strikers.

So it's more likely he was enquiring about Taylor and wanting to prepare an option on an up and coming player should Nicky Maynard report back and refuse to sign a new contract.

Millwall have come in wanting to do a deal now (to replace Morrison and Harris) and so we've ended our interest as we don't need anyone yet.

Keith also said - in his interview about the scouting sysytem - that in the past we were unprepared** when situations arose that we needed a player in a particular position

and that we used to have to rush around finding out who was available. So hopefully this is an example of us trying to be prepared.

CR

** So just what was Pete Johnson doing ??

Keith has already said he is happy with our strikers.

So it's more likely he was enquiring about Taylor and wanting to prepare an option on an up and coming player should Nicky Maynard report back and refuse to sign a new contract.

Millwall have come in wanting to do a deal now (to replace Morrison and Harris) and so we've ended our interest as we don't need anyone yet.

Keith also said - in his interview about the scouting sysytem - that in the past we were unprepared** when situations arose that we needed a player in a particular position

and that we used to have to rush around finding out who was available. So hopefully this is an example of us trying to be prepared.

CR

** So just what was Pete Johnson doing ??

Nothing he left when Gary left, David Lee was chief scout and didn't do much and has since been moved on,

I think we're still looking for a chief scout and the rumours I've heard was that we want Gary *spit* Penrice (a good scout),

I'm sure there is still going to be great upheaval in the coaching to come,

As for bringing players in we're going to have to spend money but I doubt anyone will be in until wiggles returns from the U21 tourny,

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/Sport.cfm?id=21923&headline=Exclusive%3A

MILLWALL'S deal for Rotherham's Ryan Taylor has fallen through - after Bristol City upped their offer to the striker.

Taylor, 23, was due to arrive at The Den this morning to complete his switch to South London. But City have increased the personal terms they are prepared to offer the forward and are now expected to conclude a deal.

he gets alot of assists apparantly Robbo hence my stead referance,

I'm not filled with joy at this transfer but then again look at Albert, I am slightly concerned we only seem to be signing league 2 players how ever, that will settle if we get and experanced head in sooner or later however

in his defense his scoring record wasn't that bad last season 33 game 12 goals so almost 1 in 3,

but I'm as miffed as the rest of you, but lets give the lad a chance but I do have a nagging feeling he might be another woolford (if he doesn't improve this year)

Can't be arsed to read the whole thread of slagging someone of before he's even signed.....but

Taylor would've been Le Fondre's partner - how many goals has he scored in the last couple of seasons?? Le Fondre, in my eyes, is similar to Pitman - maybe, just maybe KM knows what he's doing here chaps. Lets be honest, his record with strikers as been pretty bang on so far

As Gary always said, it's all about having different clubs in the golf bag. And if Steady isn't fit we haven't got anything like a "target man" to use. I suspect he's cheap, has potential, and is worth a punt. Not too much lost if he flunks. Quite happy for him to score 6 goals and set up 20 for Maynard if that's the way he works!

I agree with the last few posts - slightly strange one this.

His goalscoring record, which even last season (less than 1 in 3) suggests he's not a replacement for Maynard, who looks increasingly like he's leaving. Judging by his height, he looks more like a replacement for Stead - but why do we need a replacement for him?! Is it just a backup?

Maybe if he was three or four years younger I could understand we might be signing him for the future, but he's 23...

I just hope that both his and Bolasie's signing's were seen as essential and haven't distracted from the other main targets; we still need a new defence and an attacking midfielder, and none of those seem any closer at this stage.

Can't be arsed to read the whole thread of slagging someone of before he's even signed.....but

Taylor would've been Le Fondre's partner - how many goals has he scored in the last couple of seasons?? Le Fondre, in my eyes, is similar to Pitman - maybe, just maybe KM knows what he's doing here chaps. Lets be honest, his record with strikers as been pretty bang on so far

This, this and plenty more this.

Pitman has spent his entire career playing alongside a bigger striker who is good at flick ons and through balls. Steve Fletcher (god for relegating rovers) and Stead. Stead has had his fair share of injuries in his career and it's much cheaper to sign a player from league 2 than an expensive loan from the Prem(keogh)

The comparison with Akinde was laughable... Useless with his back to goal, his only attribute was his powerful running at the defence with the ball at his feet!

This, this and plenty more this.

Pitman has spent his entire career playing alongside a bigger striker who is good at flick ons and through balls. Steve Fletcher (god for relegating rovers) and Stead. Stead has had his fair share of injuries in his career and it's much cheaper to sign a player from league 2 than an expensive loan from the Prem(keogh)

The comparison with Akinde was laughable... Useless with his back to goal, his only attribute was his powerful running at the defence with the ball at his feet!

This is exactly the logic in it. Stead will be first choice. No point spending excessive amounts of a guy that's going to play second fiddle to him. But if Stead gets injured, like this season, or needs a rest, we have a cheap back-up.

I'm amazed people think there's any substance to this. It's his agent ringing up Sky to try and find a club for him, you can see it a mile off. We aren't signing a striker that is not rated by his own league two club.

Your not a Cynic doppelganger are you? rofl2br.gif

I'm amazed people think there's any substance to this. It's his agent ringing up Sky to try and find a club for him, you can see it a mile off. We aren't signing a striker that is not rated by his own league two club.

Judging by some of the comments on the Rotherham fans forum, I wouldn't suggest he's unwanted. They seem a bit disappointed to be, but resigned to, losing him:

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=450&fid=215&sty=2&act=1&mid=2117217032

I'm amazed people think there's any substance to this. It's his agent ringing up Sky to try and find a club for him, you can see it a mile off.

I hope so, but we'll see.

I have no issue with us looking in the lower divisions (best place to find our new fullbacks, I reckon) but a non scoring league two forward isn't the way to go.

On another topic we already potentially have 32 under contract should Carey and Henderson sign their deals (likely to be 31 then) so need to ensure that every arrival is matched by a departure from now on for me.

I trust millens judgement!

He has a proven track record of making good signings, it's probably unfair to judge woolford like some have! I think this season will see how good or bad wooly can be !

Plus has the ability to bring the best out in players (spence) who I think a majority would have sent him back including myself after that norwich game.

Archived