IGNORED

The Nicky Maynard Thread (Merged)

oldfield

Just to point out, we could get 20m for nicky tomorrow but were not going to be able to spend it until January were we could bottom 3 and it will be more difficult to attract players than it already had been this summer.

The only way we should let him go tomorrow is if there are signs lined up to come in already.

This. I dont care if we sell maynard. unless we have line ups, if not i'll be livid.

Just seen on twitter.

Lee Peltier (Leicester City)

I would say maynard would fit really well in are team #goalmachine

Does he know something, we dont?

Did'nt maynard swap shirts with him and say in an interview that they are good friends?

I can't believe we are not going to cash in.

Admittedly if Nicky has promised to sign a new contract with certain terms regarding Prem clubs coming in for him then fine. However, in our financial situation, to turn down offers of £4m+ for a striker that can leave for free next summer is astounding.

I'm not sure how we've managed to get ourselves in this mess.

I can't believe we are not going to cash in.

Admittedly if Nicky has promised to sign a new contract with certain terms regarding Prem clubs coming in for him then fine. However, in our financial situation, to turn down offers of £4m+ for a striker that can leave for free next summer is astounding.

I'm not sure how we've managed to get ourselves in this mess.

All very well, but Maynard has to want to join the club bidding, and from what Sven said 2 or 3 weeks ago.. It doesn't look likes it is going to happen, Bristol City don't want to sell and the player doesn't sem interested. Or words to that effect.

If it is just championship clubs coming in he probably will not want to go. After all he has let it be known if he goes hhe wants to go to a prem club.

I know Sunderland were being mentioned at one point somewhere on this thread (do you honestly expect me to go through all 76 pages? :) ) but I notice today that they seem to scouring europe for the second level of top strikers. Are they so big that they feel that a championship striker is beneath them?

He sustained the injury during the summer - only discovered during pre-season. As Bris Red says, as soon as that season finished where he had just scored 20, we should have entered negogiations to extend his contract - thus protecting our main asset. The injury is pretty irrelevant, because he as recovered from it.... and it should have been tied up prior to his injury.

20 goals in a season itself warranted a new contract IMO

to be fair, there was strong rumour that his injury could have been a career wrecker. I think they have done the right thing

1238: It looks like Leicester City's business for the window is not yet complete - BBC Sport's Simon Austin reports that they are still after a striker and their consultant, Tord Grip, told him that they retain an interest in Nikica Jelavic, Jimmy Kebe, Andy Johnson and Jermaine Beckford.

Sven said at the time we played them that the club didn't want to sell and the player didn't want to come. That was the end of it, I don't know why everyone's still fussing about Leicester.

The only way he'll be sold today is if there's interest from a Prem side, and it's fantastic to see the board sticking to their guns in that respect.

I hope we can also get him to sign a contract with a release clause in - I'm fairly optimistic because he's got little to lose by doing so and much to gain.

I hope we can also get him to sign a contract with a release clause in - I'm fairly optimistic because he's got little to lose by doing so and much to gain.

I think(hope) that will be the case. Even if it is only a year extension with a big release clause in it :englandsmile4wf:

I think NM would be brave to see out his contract here, especially if he's about to become a dad for the first time. Another bad injury and he could easily find himself without a club come June.

Personally speaking I'd settle for a medium term extension with a release clause.

he's got little to lose by doing so and much to gain.

Don't agree with that.

Surely he is a much more attractive proposition on a free transfer if he see's his contract out.

The only worries for him were if the club benched him, limiting his exposure, which I can't imagine they would, or if he were seriously injured.

If he runs out his contract here, injury free, he'll have more lucrative offers at this level even if Premier League teams turn their noses up.

Don't agree with that.

Surely he is a much more attractive proposition on a free transfer if he see's his contract out.

The only worries for him were if the club benched him, limiting his exposure, which I can't imagine they would, or if he were seriously injured.

If he runs out his contract here, injury free, he'll have more lucrative offers at this level even if Premier League teams turn their noses up.

If a Prem club wants to sign him the price tag of (presumably) £6-7m won't make much difference. They might give him a big signing on fee if they don't have to pay it but the wages won't be markedly different. Transfer fees are easy because they're paid once, wages are not because they are an ongoing commitment. Particularly for clubs clubs that might not be guaranteed safety.

If he signs for us, he'll likely more than double his wages right now which is probably worth the best part of a million between now and next year when he'd be available on a free. He's also had two serious injuries so that will have to be in his mind.

The question is, Nicky, would you like to earn £20-25k a week now or wait a year for a chance at £30-35k? Easy choice, particularly if the release clause is there - it means he doesn't lose his chance to play in the Prem or earn even more.

Archived