IGNORED

The Nicky Maynard Thread (Merged)

oldfield

That's a management decision. Maynard is 1st choice striker for the first team, ergo he is playing in his best position and not say playing out of his best posiion like left back or something. Semantics indeed

See the baying mob Simpsons picture I posted earlier? What do his intentions matter? He is under contract, is in the first team, isnt shirking. So why should he therefore be treated differently?

Its hardly rocket science, yet some want their quart of blood because he wont crawl over hot coals for the club at their particular whim and fancy? It really is proper insanity.

Yes silly me, he owes us nothing.

So what does he owe the blood thirsty mob then?

A ride in his Audi!

He owes us nothing, he signed his contract, he has played when available, he has scored goals that kept us in the division. Maybe we owe him some thanks for banging in 20 goals with little service and most likely saving us from the drop.

Of course we could just crucify him for not signing a new contract.

If it was so important he sign, the board would have offered him an extension a year or two ago. Clearly they do not value him as much as they say or it would have been offered. So he owes Bristol City nothing, maybe if this extension was offered earlier we would not be in this position.

Another poor decision by the football club as a whole, always leaving things to late. Should have done what they did with Albert.

Lesson learned hopefully

So what does he owe the blood thirsty mob then?

What blood thirsty mob?, I don't see or hear one, I see a lot of confused fans, confused by the mixed messages from Sexstone and Millen. I see a very dispirited looking Pitman. What does he owe us ?, nothing legally but jesus more evidence of the heart being ripped out of football for money. Somebody eluded to the fact that we have a lot of ordinary championship players and some only worthy of the 1st division, just spend a day in Portishead and see the millonaire lifestyle many of the aforementioned live and somebody pays for that lifestyle, probably your imaginary blood thirsty mob.

What blood thirsty mob?, I don't see or hear one, I see a lot of confused fans, confused by the mixed messages from Sexstone and Millen. I see a very dispirited looking Pitman. What does he owe us ?, nothing legally but jesus more evidence of the heart being ripped out of football for money. Somebody eluded to the fact that we have a lot of ordinary championship players and some only worthy of the 1st division, just spend a day in Portishead and see the millonaire lifestyle many of the aforementioned live and somebody pays for that lifestyle, probably your imaginary blood thirsty mob.

The club pays it, not you. if you don't like what the club pays players don't go and give the club your money..... simples. It's just the same as people saying things to public sector workers... I pay your wages, utter b0ll0x. Because of course public sector workers do no pay tax and and national insurance.

it's time people get over themselves when it come to players wages. If you don't like it, better yourself and try and get a better paid job.

Greened eyed monsters should spend more time bettering themselves than complaining what others earn. Then they may not have to bitch and moan about other peoples salary and wages.

How many injured players to the point that it was expected at one point on here to be career threatening get offered long contracts at higher wages? That would be very difficult to justify to anyone imho

How does that make it a poor decision? Player came back from injury, proved he still had gusto and was worth an extended contract to the management and the board and one was offered. Seems spot on to me to do it like that rather than gamble being stuck with a crock on high wages if the rehabilitation didnt go to plan?

I wasnt being literal, but hey whats that got to do with the price of fish.

What mixed messages in this Maynard contract issue have their been? Afaik we have offered a contract, Maynard has yet to sign, but is still under contract anyway until the end of the season. The Chairman has come out and said that the player wont be sold to a Championship club, and thus far hasnt.

So where is the issue?

Money and the heart ripped out of football? What? Players get offered what they get offered by the club, the player chooses to accept that offer or he doesnt. What the player gets up to outside of his time spent training or playing as long as its not illegal or impinges his ability to play or train, then I dont really care as to be frank it doesnt matter. Its their money and life, so they can do what they want with it.

As for paying for the lifestyle, the income from fans for the last available accounts was just over 2 million out of 11, the rest came from the football league, advertising, TV money and so on. I dont get where this divine right for a player to owe somebody something comes from, especially as they are doing their bit for the club in terms of games played goals scored etc?

Regarding Pitman, as Ive said previously its to do with the management as to why he is getting frustrated by playing on the bench on the wing. Blaming Maynard for the situation isnt going to solve it, as its got naff all to do with him.

Im going to leave this thread now, because the lunatics have somewhat taken over the asylum, only here can fans moan and berate our best player that we have worked hard to keep and not sold and then say he should be dropped or whatever because he wasnt sold by the board/management?

Utter and complete madness

Players are covered by insurance nowadays for injury both by the club and the player, so not so much of a problem any longer offering a player a contract when injured. Well that is how I understand anyway, it pays out like mortgage protection, it covers the amount remaining.

Players are covered by insurance nowadays for injury both by the club and the player, so not so much of a problem any longer offering a player a contract when injured. Well that is how I understand anyway, it pays out like mortgage protection, it covers the amount remaining.

No they aren't by and large. It's _very_ expensive to do so very few players are covered this way.

He is still here then.

So the conclusions I have reached are:

Nicky Maynard would not have gone to Leicester even if we had accepted their offer (They are in the same division and the place is a dump)

or

The board are not as stupid as we think to let him go for nothing in the summer and they know something we don't?

or

The board are as stupid as we think and he is going to sign for another club for free in the summer (Probably Leicester if they go up, wouldn't that be a kick in the bollox).

or

He will go in January for a reduced fee (He will be worth less even if he does score goals) to a Premier League club needing a goalscorer.

Have I missed any?

Would be pleasantly surprised to see him sign a new deal, I cant see it happening though - he is a far more attractive proposition on a free and is far more likely to get a wider choice of clubs to sign for.

You missed :

the board though a lot more than we do and either:

expect Nicky to sign a new deal, which will make him worth even more, especially should he bang in a few goals.

or

realise Nicky will leave on a free at the end of this year and accept that. But also accept that we need him to stay in this division and tat is worth more to us over the long term than a one off transfer fee from Leicester that we could not have spent.

or

intend to let him go in the January transfer window when clubs either at the bottom of the Prem or the top of the Championship may be more desperate for a top striker and we may well be in a solid mid-table position.

This thread depresses me some what.

Player is in contract and is contracted until the end of the season

Player is 1st choice striker and has scored

75% of our goals this season thus far

Player is showing no signs of lack of effort

Player hasnt signed new contract, but has no obligation to actually do so.

Board dont want to sell player

Clearly then the obvious solution is to call him every name under the sun, want him dropped to make an example of him or some

other punitive measurefacepalm.gif

Somewhere along the lines, some of the fans here have completely lost the plot, because what they are seriously and genuinely

advocating is dropping the goal scorer from the team because he hasnt (note not refused to, not holding the club to ransom etc etc) just hasnt signed a new contract, despite already being in one with the club.

The fans want this in a position where the

team is already struggling to score, dropping our top scorer is like cutting your nose off to spite your face. It does it no favours, makes us worse on the pitch ( And the manager is already being pilliored for having a rubbish team) and most importantly removes one our main scoring threats.

Just how backward is that in the cold light of day

Unbelievable Jeff

Well said, great post.

You missed :

expect Nicky to sign a new deal, which will make him worth even more, especially should he bang in a few goals.

or

realise Nicky will leave on a free at the end of this year and accept that. But also accept that we need him to stay in this division and tat is worth more to us over the long term than a one off transfer fee from Leicester that we could not have spent.

or

intend to let him go in the January transfer window when clubs either at the bottom of the Prem or the top of the Championship may be more desperate for a top striker and we may well be in a solid mid-table position.

The top would be the best result of all the variables and the bottom one the second best result.

The gamble is that Maynard walks away for free next summer. My guess is that it will be the third option.

You missed :

or

or

Why would we not be able to spend it ?

This thread depresses me some what.

Player is in contract and is contracted until the end of the season

Player is 1st choice striker and has scored

75% of our goals this season thus far

Player is showing no signs of lack of effort

Player hasnt signed new contract, but has no obligation to actually do so.

Board dont want to sell player

Clearly then the obvious solution is to call him every name under the sun, want him dropped to make an example of him or some other punitive measurefacepalm.gif

Somewhere along the lines, some of the fans here have completely lost the plot, because what they are seriously and genuinely advocating is dropping the goal scorer from the team because he hasnt (note not refused to, not holding the club to ransom etc etc) just hasnt signed a new contract, despite already being in one with the club.

The fans want this in a position where the team is already struggling to score, dropping our top scorer is like cutting your nose off to spite your face. It does it no favours, makes us worse on the pitch ( And the manager is already being pilliored for having a rubbish team) and most importantly removes one our main scoring threats.

Just how backward is that in the cold light of day

Unbelievable Jeff

It's not often I agree with Ralph, but I have to here. I can also understand the point about upsetting Pitman. The sooner we can get two players back up front, thus giving all our strikers the opportunity to get game time, the better.

latest"bid" was late in transfer window and may in any event have not been acceptable to the player himself...

Sorry but you said and I quote "and tat is worth more to us over the long term than a one off transfer fee from Leicester that we could not have spent."

Why would we not be able to spend the money , do you think it would have been used to cover debts ??

Sorry but you said and I quote "and tat is worth more to us over the long term than a one off transfer fee from Leicester that we could not have spent."

Why would we not be able to spend the money , do you think it would have been used to cover debts ??

What i meant was could not have spent within the transfer window. The debts are not really that relevant at this stage given that they are to our major equity holder. Until and unless he changes his position substantially there is no imperative to deal with the debts.

Had we sold NM to Leicester on Monday we would not have been able to use the money effectively, in my view.

Maynard has no duty to sign a contract or to do anything other than play football. Technically.

But in reality it's nice to find a solution that helps lots of people, not just your self.

We all know that signing a hefty contract for us with a release clause benefits everybody involved, so what's the issue?

Maynard has no debt to our club or us fans, but if he's a compassionate human being he will see the benefit of signing a deal.

What i meant was could not have spent within the transfer window. The debts are not really that relevant at this stage given that they are to our major equity holder. Until and unless he changes his position substantially there is no imperative to deal with the debts.

Had we sold NM to Leicester on Monday we would not have been able to use the money effectively, in my view.

I see , so it was a case of not being able to spend the money quick enough (a bit like my Mrs) !!

The advantage would have been having the money sitting there waiting for the window to open , the disadvantage ,everyone would know we had it and would up the prices (and we would have lost our best player of course). Not that I expect to see many permanent transfers between now and next summer anyway. I think we will utilise the loan market until we have shifted all the OOC players.

You missed :

No I didn't, I actually said "The board are not as stupid as we think to let him go for nothing in the summer and they know something we don't?" (Apologies if this was unclear)

So not only did I say they know something we don't, I was also implying that they believe he will sign a new deal

That's a matter of opinion, I happen to think we will stay up with or without him.

or

I believe I did also mention this when I said "He will go in January for a reduced fee (He will be worth less even if he does score goals) to a Premier League club needing a goalscorer."

Also, no matter how late in the day a deal had been struck, the money could still have been spent. Plenty of deals have been done in the past by signing someone on emergency loan with a fee agreed for when the transfer window re-opens.

I hope he stays like most do but I have a feeling he is going to walk for nothing - which although it would annoy me, he is quite entitled to do this. I would do it if I was in his position......

No I didn't, I actually said "The board are not as stupid as we think to let him go for nothing in the summer and they know something we don't?" (Apologies if this was unclear)

So not only did I say they know something we don't, I was also implying that they believe he will sign a new deal

That's a matter of opinion, I happen to think we will stay up with or without him.

I believe I did also mention this when I said "He will go in January for a reduced fee (He will be worth less even if he does score goals) to a Premier League club needing a goalscorer."

Also, no matter how late in the day a deal had been struck, the money could still have been spent. Plenty of deals have been done in the past by signing someone on emergency loan with a fee agreed for when the transfer window re-opens.

I hope he stays like most do but I have a feeling he is going to walk for nothing - which although it would annoy me, he is quite entitled to do this. I would do it if I was in his position......

There is of course an option which no one has considered and that's the possibility that NM retires from football to pursuit his dream of becoming a farmer by registering for a degree in agriculture at Writtle College. I've added a link for reference in case you too want to study agriculture with Nicky. http://www.writtle.ac.uk/UG-Agriculture

I just can't help but think whichever way you look at it £7.5m is a hell of a lot to turn down for a player with one year left on their contract who has had ample time to sign a new deal and has yet to do so. I could understand it more if we were promotion possibilities and NM could see us over that line, but I really hope CS hasn't cut off his nose to spite his face in his ballsiness not to accept an offer from another Championship side.

See the big picture guys, we are NOT desperate for money. Why sell your top goalscorer and arguably your best player if you don't need the money? Steve Lansdown is extremely wealthy and continues to back the club. Of course it would be foolish to go around shouting about all the money we have got and not trying to trim the squad, make the club more self financing etc, but please don't doubt Steve's determination to see BCFC in the Premier League - time for the fans to start believing.

Archived