IGNORED

The Nicky Maynard Thread (Merged)

oldfield

I wasn't trying to say we were challenging for the play offs. What i was saying is we had a very similar season to Leicester.

Leicester had the advantage of big money signings and loans though.

So not "almost exactly the same" then.

"Leicester had the advantage of big money signings"

Pitman , Stead and Woolford spring to mind (dont forget we paid higher wages than Blackpool for the front 2)

"and loans though"

Rose , Caulker , Spence , Keogh.

I'm not Anti Millen by any stretch of the imagination but some of the 'protection' he gets on here is incredible. Millen has had , and spent , good money on players. Perhaps not quite as much as Sven but he has had plenty of opportunity to at least balance the squad.

Everton spent £20m+ the season they signed Beckford so your supposition doesn't really hold up at all. Besides, comparing Beckford, who was a league one striker with no record of goalscoring in the Championship with Maynard is ridiculous.

Everton's problem is that they are running a deficit due to their wage bill. This is because they recruited with moving to Kirkby in mind, spending all the money from Rooney and Lescott and Johnson on players who are frankly not worth the large salaries they're on. They can't now borrow any more.

If Maynard bangs in the goals this season, a fee of £6-7m will not stop him getting an offer from a Prem club. It hasn't stopped any striker who's managed two good seasons at this level before. Hopefully his advisors are realistic enough to know this.

He will also benefit from the security of getting a big contract now, and a year's worth of much increased wages at least.

Firstly Everton didn't spend close to £20M in that window so that's bollocks. They recruited Beckford and Jan Mucha on free transfers and Joao Silva and Magaye Gueye for less than £1M each. These are facts.

I know Beckford was a League 1 player but that is not the point I'm making. If he'd have signed a deal it would have been harder to secure a PL move that summer and he would certainly not have been signed by Everton for upwards of £5M, as I've said before. Beckford and his agent clearly realised this.

The point I'm making is not that Maynard would find it impossible to secure a PL transfer but that it would be harder having signed a deal than if he had not. That much is common sense as countless clubs would be in for him on a free whereas a limited amount of clubs or less would should the fee he command be upwards of £5M.

If Maynard has another excellent seasona nd scored 20 goals it's quite likely someone will come in for him but that's another risk and would of course have been discussed by both him and his agent. If he signs a deal he could still get a PL move next summer, of course he can. However if he's available for free next summer after a good season he will have a lot more offers, that's just obvious.

Firstly Everton didn't spend close to £20M in that window so that's bollocks. They recruited Beckford and Jan Mucha on free transfers and Joao Silva and Magaye Gueye for less than £1M each. These are facts.

Please read what I wrote instead of making stuff up and calling it bollocks. I said SEASON not window.

I know Beckford was a League 1 player but that is not the point I'm making. If he'd have signed a deal it would have been harder to secure a PL move that summer and he would certainly not have been signed by Everton for upwards of £5M, as I've said before. Beckford and his agent clearly realised this.

It's not relevant though is it? Maynard isn't a league one player, he's a player who's scored 20 goals in a season in the Championship, and then had another season where he scored at the same rate although he was injured for more than half of it.

The point I'm making is not that Maynard would find it impossible to secure a PL transfer but that it would be harder having signed a deal than if he had not. That much is common sense as countless clubs would be in for him on a free whereas a limited amount of clubs or less would should the fee he command be upwards of £5M.

If Maynard has another excellent seasona nd scored 20 goals it's quite likely someone will come in for him but that's another risk and would of course have been discussed by both him and his agent. If he signs a deal he could still get a PL move next summer, of course he can. However if he's available for free next summer after a good season he will have a lot more offers, that's just obvious.

Nicky won't get offers from the Prem if he doesn't have a good season whether he's under contract or not. He clearly doesn't care about offers from the Championship because he's just told Leicester to do one and they don't come more financially reckless than that.

Being under a contract with a release clause will only make a minor difference to his chances of a Prem move. The major difference will be his performance this season. Again, pretty much every striker who's been successful for more than one season at this level has got a Premier League shot, very few who haven't managed that can say the same on a free transfer or not.

Please read what I wrote instead of making stuff up and calling it bollocks. I said SEASON not window.

It's not relevant though is it? Maynard isn't a league one player, he's a player who's scored 20 goals in a season in the Championship, and then had another season where he scored at the same rate although he was injured for more than half of it.

Nicky won't get offers from the Prem if he doesn't have a good season whether he's under contract or not. He clearly doesn't care about offers from the Championship because he's just told Leicester to do one and they don't come more financially reckless than that.

Being under a contract with a release clause will only make a minor difference to his chances of a Prem move. The major difference will be his performance this season. Again, pretty much every striker who's been successful for more than one season at this level has got a Premier League shot, very few who haven't managed that can say the same on a free transfer or not.

But as I said earlier, what benefit does signing a new contract have for Maynard? He is not a Bristol fan, he knows he'll get Championship offers even if he has a bad season and he stands a better chance of getting a prem club if he doesn't sign a contract. There is no upside bar a few months of higher wages, if he cared about that he would have joined us.

But as I said earlier, what benefit does signing a new contract have for Maynard? He is not a Bristol fan, he knows he'll get Championship offers even if he has a bad season and he stands a better chance of getting a prem club if he doesn't sign a contract. There is no upside bar a few months of higher wages, if he cared about that he would have joined us.

because he is settled in the area with a local bristolian girl?

Just because you don't support the club doesn't mean you can't be loyal to said club,

because he is settled in the area with a local bristolian girl?

Just because you don't support the club doesn't mean you can't be loyal to said club,

So he stays for a year and leaves on a free to a Prem club and if no Prem club comes in then Bristol City will still offer him a contract, if he wants to join a Prem club in a year why on earth sign a contract this summer?

So he stays for a year and leaves on a free to a Prem club and if no Prem club comes in then Bristol City will still offer him a contract, if he wants to join a Prem club in a year why on earth sign a contract this summer?

can I borrow your time machine so I can get the euro millions numbers for friday please?

He gets an immediate large pay rise a full year earlier than he would have otherwise, probably worth the best part of £700k-£1m gross assuming he goes from something like £7-8k a week to £20kish.

He gets the additional security of that being now rather than in a year's time - for a player who has twice had serious injuries and is due a baby in the next 10 days ago that can be important.

He doesn't have the upheaval of moving.

And most importantly, he loses very little by doing so as he is almost as likely to get a Prem move having signed as he would be without signing. It does him very little damage.

You Leicester people really don't understand money. Still, I guess that's unsurprising given how your club is being "run" currently. £19m is it on fees alone? And still no real prospect of promotion ....

He gets an immediate large pay rise a full year earlier than he would have otherwise, probably worth the best part of £700k-£1m gross assuming he goes from something like £7-8k a week to £20kish.

He gets the additional security of that being now rather than in a year's time - for a player who has twice had serious injuries and is due a baby in the next 10 days ago that can be important.

He doesn't have the upheaval of moving.

And most importantly, he loses very little by doing so as he is almost as likely to get a Prem move having signed as he would be without signing. It does him very little damage.

You Leicester people really don't understand money. Still, I guess that's unsurprising given how your club is being "run" currently. £19m is it on fees alone? And still no real prospect of promotion ....

No Prem clubs are interested at the moment with his £6M price tag, what makes you think anyone will be interested in paying that next year? Why on earth would he risk wether or not someone would be willing to pay £6M when he can leave on a free. Even if he gets another injury, BC will offer him a contract next year because you're desperate to hold onto him, so he really doesn't need the security of signing a new contract. He stands a much, much better chance of moving to the Prem if he doesn't sign a contract. He'd be insane to sign a contract because there is no benefit other than a few months on higher wages but he'd have to risk wether or not a Prem club would be interested for £6M+, it's not a guarantee that they would.

This Leics fella seems to be getting up the noses of quite a few of you and being agreed to by a few others.

As I have said on numerous occasions..

1. It is pretty obvious he does NOT want a move to an average east midlands club which, lets be frank, is a bit of a dump compared to Bristol and yes quality of life does matter.

2. BCFC will only sell to a Prem club IF the move is right for NM

3. No Prem offers came in or none came in that matched the club's valuation.

4. City can have, potentially, a far better season with 20 extra goals, possibly making the play offs and possibly going up - any fee foregone, therefore, is UTTERLY IRRELEVANT.

5. He might also walk at the end of his tenure but somehow i do not think he will and if he does... we will already be promoted.

End of story. turn the lights out and move on to something interesting to talk about.

No Prem clubs are interested at the moment with his £6M price tag, what makes you think anyone will be interested in paying that next year? Why on earth would he risk wether or not someone would be willing to pay £6M when he can leave on a free. Even if he gets another injury, BC will offer him a contract next year because you're desperate to hold onto him, so he really doesn't need the security of signing a new contract. He stands a much, much better chance of moving to the Prem if he doesn't sign a contract. He'd be insane to sign a contract because there is no benefit other than a few months on higher wages but he'd have to risk wether or not a Prem club would be interested for £6M+, it's not a guarantee that they would.

Desperation normally creeps in to the transfer window in January - and clubs near the bottom and struggling to score will be looking for a solution. If Nicky continues to play as he has been he will be a bigger focus than he was now. By the same token clubs on the verge of the play off places may also take a gamble so no certainty that there won't be even bigger bids then contract or no contract. Hopefully though he will want to protect himself and his family and will sign an extension in the interim.

This Leics fella seems to be getting up the noses of quite a few of you and being agreed to by a few others.

As I have said on numerous occasions..

1. It is pretty obvious he does NOT want a move to an average east midlands club which, lets be frank, is a bit of a dump compared to Bristol and yes quality of life does matter.

2. BCFC will only sell to a Prem club IF the move is right for NM

3. No Prem offers came in or none came in that matched the club's valuation.

4. City can have, potentially, a far better season with 20 extra goals, possibly making the play offs and possibly going up - any fee foregone, therefore, is UTTERLY IRRELEVANT.

5. He might also walk at the end of his tenure but somehow i do not think he will and if he does... we will already be promoted.

End of story. turn the lights out and move on to something interesting to talk about.

It wouldn't be 20 extra goals if he stays, Pitman would score just about as many.

There's no chance in any scenario of promotion for City this season.

It wouldn't be 20 extra goals if he stays, Pitman would score just about as many.

There's no chance in any scenario of promotion for City this season.

If we have NM for the season i reckon he will score about 20-22 and Pitman about 10. if we lose him in Jan when he could be already on about 12 i do not see Pitman taking up much of the slack. That said you may well be right but its a point not the number.

You are also probably right on the second point but our odds will be far lower with a fit and firing NM for the entire campaign and assuming we still get a creative midfielder in and another defender. Big iffs granted but these may all be in the plans of BCFC; there is a much wider picture here than this discussion merits. hence why the entire topic is getting a little tedious because few seem to grasp said 'wider picture'.

Well they definitely didn't sign anyone for huge amounts of cash in the next January window which would cover the two windows for 2011 and if you're referring to the January 2010 window they signed Heitinga for £6M which doesn't come close to the £20M you're quoting...am I missing something?

Of course it's relevant. You're reading far too much into the fact he was in League 1. I'm comparing the situations saying this is a player that had he signed a new deal wouldn't have got the move to the PL club he joined. We're talking about Maynard here and why he'd sign the deal. The only reason in favour is more money as you've quite rightly pointed out. However him signing a new deal now will of course limit his chances of a move next summer. If he doesn't sign now he could also still get a move if he doesn't have the best season here as some may think he's worth the gamble on past goalscoring records, especially a newly promoted team. Again however should this command a fee it is less likely that this will be the case.

I believe Maynard and his agent think that there is a better chance of securing a PL move without signing a deal and that is why he hasn't signed one. You obviously disagree.

If we have NM for the season i reckon he will score about 20-22 and Pitman about 10. if we lose him in Jan when he could be already on about 12 i do not see Pitman taking up much of the slack. That said you may well be right but its a point not the number.

You are also probably right on the second point but our odds will be far lower with a fit and firing NM for the entire campaign and assuming we still get a creative midfielder in and another defender. Big iffs granted but these may all be in the plans of BCFC; there is a much wider picture here than this discussion merits. hence why the entire topic is getting a little tedious because few seem to grasp said 'wider picture'.

You say you think Pitman would score 10 but he scored 13 last season with significantly less minutes under his belt than he would have if he was starting each week so I'm wondering why you think he'll do worse when he's playing a lot more football?

Ah, i see your Maynard thread has refused to die too, it is almost supernatural and would make for a good japanese horror ala Ringu :shocking:

The guy is not dumb and obviously is looking out for his family's future and he obviously has the ambition of wanting to play premier league football as quickly as possible since football career's can be short.

Either he will wait until a prem club comes in for him in January at a knockdown price, since i doubt he would go to a team that is so desperate they would look likely to be a chamionship club next season or he will bide his time and go where he pleases next preseason.

He may even be a very rare bird and decide he like's it at Bristol City but if that we're the case i can not see why he has not signed a contract yet :dunno:

Anyway, we have a new striker to shout at or idolise and you still have your's so best of luck for the rest of the season except of course when we recover three points from you :D

You say you think Pitman would score 10 but he scored 13 last season with significantly less minutes under his belt than he would have if he was starting each week so I'm wondering why you think he'll do worse when he's playing a lot more football?

left wing? dunno.gif

seriously though?... without NM he may but then again he might be more of a foil to Stead. who knows anyway.

Let's be generous and say Maynard could score 25 in a full season.

On the evidence of last season I would expect Pitman to get 20, so really not too much in it. Certainly not 20 extra goals.

Both are capable of being amongst the leading scorers in this division.

On the second point very few fans who have seen the 3 home performances would expect much improvement in our current league position as the season progresses.

We are 3/4 very good players short of a team that could challenge for the play offs imo. and talk of promotion is laughable.

The 'wider picture' includes not only the possibilty of Maynard leaving for nothing but also Pitman becoming disillusioned beyond repair long before that becomes clear.

Let's be generous and say Maynard could score 25 in a full season.

On the evidence of last season I would expect Pitman to get 20, so really not too much in it. Certainly not 20 extra goals.

Both are capable of being amongst the leading scorers in this division.

On the second point very few fans who have seen the 3 home performances would expect much improvement in our current league position as the season progresses.

We are 3/4 very good players short of a team that could challenge for the play offs imo. and talk of promotion is laughable.

The 'wider picture' includes not only the possibilty of Maynard leaving for nothing but also Pitman becoming disillusioned beyond repair long before that becomes clear.

let us indulge your estimate for a minute.. 45 goals between the two. May we, therefore, assume that amongst the rest we have a further 10-15 goals? i would have thought a prudent estimate. your 45 goals coupled with a prudent 15 more and if we are in the bottom half of the table then our defense will surely be the leakiest in the division by far.

I do not believe either will happen; so in short i agree with your lowly finish verdict but not your total goal count between the two; don't think that is a remotely possible combination somehow.

And just to be clear; i am not saying NM's goals will propel us to the top 6; i am saying that is a club philosophy and part of their thinking in being rather more relaxed about the possibility of him not signing a contract.

Well they definitely didn't sign anyone for huge amounts of cash in the next January window which would cover the two windows for 2011 and if you're referring to the January 2010 window they signed Heitinga for £6M which doesn't come close to the £20M you're quoting...am I missing something?

Apparently so. I took a very quick look at soccerbase and saw this for their transfer record the season they signed Beckford?

Sylvain Distin Portsmouth £5,000,000 28-Aug-09

Diniyar Bilyaletdinov Lok. Moscow £8,900,000 28-Aug-09

Johnny Heitinga Atl Madrid £6,000,000 01-Sep-09

Lucas Neill West Ham Free 18-Sep-09

Jermaine Beckford Leeds Free 31-May-10

Joao Pedro Pereira Silva Desportivo Aves Signed 08-Jun-10

Magaye Gueye Strasbourg £1,000,000 01-Jul-10

Jan Mucha Legia Warsaw Free 02-Jul-10

Total: £20,900,000

Of course it's relevant. You're reading far too much into the fact he was in League 1. I'm comparing the situations saying this is a player that had he signed a new deal wouldn't have got the move to the PL club he joined

It seems pretty blindingly obvious that gambling on a player to make a step up two massive levels is very different to gambling on a player to step up from being the best in the Championship to useful at a mid level Prem side, which is what makes this comparison pointless.

I believe Maynard and his agent think that there is a better chance of securing a PL move without signing a deal and that is why he hasn't signed one. You obviously disagree.

I disagreed with your assertion that it would SEVERELY affect his chances and said that would only have a minor affect. I think the evidence (i.e. the strikers who've moved from the Championship to the Prem) backs this up. I can't think of a striker who's scored well for two seasons at this level and not got the chance - contract or otherwise?

So you're basically just repeating arguments I've already responded to, not much fun really. I'd suggest the main reason there was no Prem offer is that up til now he's only hit 20 goals in the Championship once, and he was injured for most of last season. He needs another good full season to get a Prem move whether or not he's under contract. If he has one, he will get the chance irrespective. Please feel free to give me an example of a player with two 18+ goal seasons at this level who hasn't had that chance?

let us indulge your estimate for a minute.. 45 goals between the two. May we, therefore, assume that amongst the rest we have a further 10-15 goals? i would have thought a prudent estimate. your 45 goals coupled with a prudent 15 more and if we are in the bottom half of the table then our defense will surely be the leakiest in the division by far.

I do not believe either will happen; so in short i agree with your lowly finish verdict but not your total goal count between the two; don't think that is a remotely possible combination somehow.

And just to be clear; i am not saying NM's goals will propel us to the top 6; i am saying that is a club philosophy and part of their thinking in being rather more relaxed about the possibility of him not signing a contract.

KM shows no sign of planning to play them in tandem, so it's one or the other.

My point remains we wouldn't be much worse off goal wise if it was Pitman up front instead of Maynard, though obviously not as a lone striker.

So not "almost exactly the same" then.

"Leicester had the advantage of big money signings"

Pitman , Stead and Woolford spring to mind (dont forget we paid higher wages than

Blackpool for the front 2)

"and loans though"

Rose , Caulker , Spence , Keogh.

I'm not Anti Millen by any stretch of the imagination but some of the 'protection' he

gets on here is incredible. Millen has had , and spent , good money on players. Perhaps not quite as much as Sven but he has had plenty of opportunity to at least balance the squad.

We finished about 4 Places below Leicester, we spent 80% of the season without possibly the best striker in the division.

Leicester brought in the likes of Vassel and Yakubu for our Stead and Pitman, I know which 2 I would have given the choice,

We were bottom of the league after roughly 10 games.

As for "protection" of Keith Millen, if backing the manager of the team I support is classed

as that then so be it, but I'm not protecting anyone

I say it as I see it, and as far as I see it, looking at the facts! We had a very similar season.

I SAID IT ALL ALONG!

KM is now saying on Radio Bristol that Maynard is NO CLOSER to signing a contract!

He had virtually the whole season off last year on full pay (With self inflicted injury)

He WILL wait until the end of the season

In January he is allowed to talk to any club for signing with them at the end of the season (Pre contract basis)

I SAY TREAT HIM THE SAME AS ALL OTHER PLAYERS

AND PUT HIM IN THE RESERVES

I SAID IT ALL ALONG!

KM is now saying on Radio Bristol that Maynard is NO CLOSER to signing a contract!

He had virtually the whole season off last year on full pay (With self inflicted injury)

In January he is allowed to talk to any club for signing with them at the end of the season (Pre contract basis)

yea but your an idiot,

Do you really believe our board and owner would turn down over 6 million for a player they think is going to walk away for free? if you do then your a moron

We finished about 4 Places below Leicester, we spent 80% of the season without possibly the best striker in the division.

Leicester brought in the likes of Vassel and Yakubu for our Stead and Pitman, I know which 2 I would have given the choice,

We were bottom of the league after roughly 10 games.

As for "protection" of Keith Millen, if backing the manager of the team I support is classed

as that then so be it, but I'm not protecting anyone

I say it as I see it, and as far as I see it, looking at the facts! We had a very similar season.

I've got no problem with backing the manager , I do it myself. However , you say "We were bottom of the league after roughly 10 games." as if that makes our final position look good , when the reality is Millen was in charge for all but the first game. I agree that he inherited a bad situation from Coppell , but I also don't get all the excuses that are made for him.

I SAID IT ALL ALONG!

He can only talk to clubs in another country in January, he can't talk to any team under the English FA until the end of his contract.

BCAGFC

yea but your an idiot,

Do you really believe our board and owner would turn down over 6 million for a player they think is going to walk away for free? if you do then your a moron

Thats a tad harsh. Nothing would surprise me at the moment

Archived