IGNORED

The Nicky Maynard Thread (Merged)

oldfield

....and to prevent all this nonsense we should have sold him. It's a bad bad decision by the board.

But apparently none of the clubs he wanted to join made an offer, you can't force him to go to a club if he doesn't want to. I would love to see the reaction of this forum if we refused to sell him to a prem club and he withdrew his services. It would be uproar.........

But apparently none of the clubs he wanted to join made an offer, you can't force him to go to a club if he doesn't want to. I would love to see the reaction of this forum if we refused to sell him to a prem club and he withdrew his services. It would be uproar.........

So let's get this right, in your view we cannot legally refuse to play him but he can withdraw his labour? or to put it another way he can blackmail us but we cannot blackmail him?.

Personally think Nicky has every right to be ambitious - he is a great talent and is not getting any younger and at the moment City are treading water in the lower reaches of the championship. This is the reality and it is pointless accusing him of messing the club about.

The short term solution is to get Nicky signed up for 1 yr extension with a "modest" weekly wage but significant goal related bonus. Win win situation that Nicky scores lots of goals for both himself and the club. Come january if he has done what he should (score goals) - then we should be in far healthier situation then present (table wise) and Nicky may attract the premier club he so desires. And if by chance (long shot) City find themselves at the right end of the table and Nicky still on board we may just see the ultimate prize of city/nicky as a combined premier outfit!

Personally think Nicky has every right to be ambitious - he is a great talent and is not getting any younger and at the moment City are treading water in the lower reaches of the championship. This is the reality and it is pointless accusing him of messing the club about.

The short term solution is to get Nicky signed up for 1 yr extension with a "modest" weekly wage but significant goal related bonus. Win win situation that Nicky scores lots of goals for both himself and the club. Come january if he has done what he should (score goals) - then we should be in far healthier situation then present (table wise) and Nicky may attract the premier club he so desires. And if by chance (long shot) City find themselves at the right end of the table and Nicky still on board we may just see the ultimate prize of city/nicky as a combined premier outfit!

I think my friend that is what most of us want and feel is fair, but so far it ain't happend and according to Millen it is not any closer to happening.

So let's get this right, in your view we cannot legally refuse to play him but he can withdraw his labour? or to put it another way he can blackmail us but we cannot blackmail him?.

No, what I am saying is, what would be the reaction of the fans if that was the scenario. I think people would see it as being wrong and castigate the player, but some people are advocating that for the club to do it to him would be perfectly acceptable. I am trying to make the point that he is a human being with rights and there are laws to protect him and there are laws to protect the club. He is not a piece of meat that can be sold or consumed at a whim.

Bottom line, he is a player who has the talent to help us, we have him under contract for another season we should use him. If a club that HE WANTED TO JOIN had made an offer then fine, we should have cashed in. They didn't, he didn't seem to want to go to the clubs that did make an offer, so life goes on.

I think the club are being too soft, i would of accepted the bid from leicester and said to nicky that if he didn't move on he would be left in the reserves. I wouldn't of let it get to this stage.

+1

We banished Basso when he wouldn't sign an extension so why don't we do the same with Maynard? There's a point of principle at stake here. No player is bigger than the club.

Correct no Prem clubs showed the slightest bit of interest,maybe Nickys getting a bit above his station and thinks he better than in reality he actually is. Not even the lower end ones( Swans,QPR or Blackburn)came in.

Maybe Nicky needs to knuckle down, sign a contract that allows him to move on if the 'right offer' ever comes along and put this whole mess behind him.

Even when he leaves in the summer there is still a massive chance no prem clubs will touch him and he ironically could end up at someone like Leicester.

+1

We banished Basso when he wouldn't sign an extension so why don't we do the same with Maynard? There's a point of principle at stake here. No player is bigger than the club.

Exactly!

The transfer window has now closed so i would still use the same tactic. Make your choice nicky, sign a new contract or its the reserves for you! He obviously doesn't care about the long term future of our club so why should we care about his? IMO i believe he is doing more harm than good to squad morale.

No, what I am saying is, what would be the reaction of the fans if that was the scenario. I think people would see it as being wrong and castigate the player, but some people are advocating that for the club to do it to him would be perfectly acceptable. I am trying to make the point that he is a human being with rights and there are laws to protect him and there are laws to protect the club. He is not a piece of meat that can be sold or consumed at a whim.

Bottom line, he is a player who has the talent to help us, we have him under contract for another season we should use him. If a club that HE WANTED TO JOIN had made an offer then fine, we should have cashed in. They didn't, he didn't seem to want to go to the clubs that did make an offer, so life goes on.

Indeed he is and I am not and have never advocated trying to sell him to a club he dosen't want to join, what I am saying is the club and the fans (many of whom are fed up with the damage this present unsatisfactory situation is causing) need to know what his intentions actually are, I really don't think that will harm his human rights in any way shape or form and if he is unable for whatever reason to give the club a satisfactory response then I think the club should give him an ultimatum and move on, that is my opinion.

Exactly!

The transfer window has now closed so i would still use the same tactic. Make your choice nicky, sign a new contract or its the reserves for you! He obviously doesn't care about the long term future of our club so why should we care about his? IMO i believe he is doing more harm than good to squad morale.

I don't know if this term still gets used, but this used to be known as biting off your nose to spite your face. If we went 10 games and hardly scored a goal without him I don't think many would be saying what a good move it was.

I don't know if this term still gets used, but this used to be known as biting off your nose to spite your face. If we went 10 games and hardly scored a goal without him I don't think many would be saying what a good move it was.

That would only apply if we didnt have a adequate replacement. But we do. Like I said earlier, Pitman wants to be here and is now the future. Play him, before he wants to leave.

I appreciate what your saying mate but like i said, i believe he is doing more harm than good (only my opinion of course). I just feel the club should be taking the lead instead of hanging around for nicky to make his mind up. And before anyone says it, NO i don't know what gets said behind closed doors but this needs to be resolved ASAP one way or the other! Infact didn't the club say that it would be resolved within 2 weeks a while back?

Indeed he is and I am not and have never advocated trying to sell him to a club he dosen't want to join, what I am saying is the club and the fans (many of whom are fed up with the damage this present unsatisfactory situation is causing) need to know what his intentions actually are, I really don't think that will harm his human rights in any way shape or form and if he is unable for whatever reason to give the club a satisfactory response then I think the club should give him an ultimatum and move on, that is my opinion.

Agreed. I personally would have far more respect for him if he turned round and said "I want to prove myself at a higher level, i'm not going to sign a new contract while City are in the grip of mediocrity" then just got on with playing football. Obviously I would rather he'd done that in the summer, but better late than never. I actually wonder whether these rumours of him still not being able to train full time due to his knee have a little more to them than we think. I wouldn't be suprised if his agent keeps getting back concerns on the knee and Maynard signs a contract for security

Exactly!

Yeah! Great Idea...........put the best striker in the Championship in the reserves, that'll show him......City pay His wages, he scores goals for the team........he's fulfilling his contact, whats all this loyalty Bullsh**t........we should appreciate his talent while we still have him.....he is really too good for our extremely average present side.....I say keep going Nicky, and keep doing what you have always done, given 100% for the team while you are wearing the shirt........everything else is just conjecture and misinformed opinion.

This thread depresses me some what.

Player is in contract and is contracted until the end of the season

Player is 1st choice striker and has scored 75% of our goals this season thus far

Player is showing no signs of lack of effort

Player hasnt signed new contract, but has no obligation to actually do so.

Board dont want to sell player

Clearly then the obvious solution is to call him every name under the sun, want him dropped to make an example of him or some other punitive measurefacepalm.gif

Somewhere along the lines, some of the fans here have completely lost the plot, because what they are seriously and genuinely advocating is dropping the goal scorer from the team because he hasnt (note not refused to, not holding the club to ransom etc etc) just hasnt signed a new contract, despite already being in one with the club.

The fans want this in a position where the team is already struggling to score, dropping our top scorer is like cutting your nose off to spite your face. It does it no favours, makes us worse on the pitch ( And the manager is already being pilliored for having a rubbish team) and most importantly removes one our main scoring threats.

Just how backward is that in the cold light of day

Unbelievable Jeff

Yes he is, but we're not his first choice club! And for the people who say that he hasn't refused to sign, well actions speak louder than words! It feels a bit like a woman your with and deep down you know she doesn't want you as much as you want her! So at some point you need to bite the bullet, put your foot down and start thinking about the other/future people in your life i.e. pitman.

Yeah! Great Idea...........put the best striker in the Championship in the reserves, that'll show him......City pay His wages, he scores goals for the team........he's fulfilling his contact, whats all this loyalty Bullsh**t........we should appreciate his talent while we still have him.....he is really too good for our extremely average present side.....I say keep going Nicky, and keep doing what you have always done, given 100% for the team while you are wearing the shirt........everything else is just conjecture and misinformed opinion.

We all do it...even you.

Just to add find it strange that a Bristol City supporter is openly encouraging a member of staff to do what best for him and not the club.

I guess when Nicky moves on you'll start supporting what ever club he moves to as you clearly have his best interests at heart and not the clubs!?

Player is 1st choice striker and has scored 75% of our goals this season thus far

Clearly then the obvious solution is to call him every name under the sun, want him dropped to make an example of him or some other punitive measurefacepalm.gif

Somewhere along the lines, some of the fans here have completely lost the plot, because what they are seriously and genuinely advocating is dropping the goal scorer from the team because he hasnt (note not refused to, not holding the club to ransom etc etc) just hasnt signed a new contract, despite already being in one with the club.

The fans want this in a position where the team is already struggling to score, dropping our top scorer is like cutting your nose off to spite your face. It does it no favours, makes us worse on the pitch ( And the manager is already being pilliored for having a rubbish team) and most importantly removes one our main scoring threats.

Unbelievable Jeff

Great post.

Er what?

He is contracted to this club already, and is in the duration of this contract, thus at present we are his first choice club in that regards. Remember we bid and brought him he wanted to come here and play for us and has played for us? There is nothing at all saying that he has to remain at the club, resign with the club with his next contract. Seeing out a 3 year contract at one club is pretty loyal for a player under the modern climate in the UK. So Im not really sure why people are so happy to lay into what is effectively and clearly in the boards eye's our best player at present.

Action speak louder than words? May as well break out The Simpsons crowd picture,

simpsons-mob-torches+REVOLT.jpg

At this moment that is the level of insanity this thread and some of the opinions have reached mob mentality and beyond. Seriously, read some of the posts in the last few pages ( I'm on a hundred posts per page view, so its about page 35 onwards) they defy all known logic and belief.

Blaming Maynard not signing for Pitman playing out of position, when its the manager's decision to do that is one of the more incredulous views put forward on here

So we play maynard even though is pisses off his replacement? and in the summer maynard jogs on and Pitman wants to leave too?

Think Millen should do some forward planning - Brett Pitman is ready for his chance. If we cant keep maynard, lets do our best to keep Brett Pitman.

Yes he is, but we're not his first choice club! And for the people who say that he hasn't refused to sign, well actions speak louder than words! It feels a bit like a woman your with and deep down you know she doesn't want you as much as you want her! So at some point you need to bite the bullet, put your foot down and start thinking about the other/future people in your life i.e. pitman.

Well if we're talking women.. it would depend on how 'rockin' her body was..

Ho hum,

back to Nicky.. if you ask any player which club they would want to play for.. I can guarantee that they would all prefer a top prem or La Liga side.. so should we take a punative stance on all of our players unless they swear an oath to ignore all other clubs and only ever play for BCFC.

Look at it the other way around there are some players we will not offer an extension to.. are we being unfair?.. shall we keep Nicky Hunt on for another 2 years just to show we are good guys.

No BCFC is a business as is Nicky Maynard.

Looking at the "this is bristol" article is looks like the board have made one mighty gamble. Crazy that they have turned down an offer in excess of 6 million when we are skint and that money could have brought in new players and shaved some off of our debt.

Maynard in my opinion has been allowed to hold the club to randsom. He should have been issued an ultimatum months ago, sign or be transfer listed. The whole thing is a shambles, and in my opinion the start of the "new regime" has been nothing but a huge concern. The manager and chairman singing off of different hymsheets with every interview. The idea of not selling to a championship rival is pathetic as we are clearly not in the hunt for promotion, just to stay up would be an achievement looking at the way we have started.

In regards to the arguements over should we play him or not, its a tough one. I personally would like to see Pitman given a chance now, or we will see them both walk on free, albeit Pitman next year.

Wonder how willing Maynard and his agent would be to negotiate new terms if he has a re-ocurrence of his knee injury......

Unbelievable Jeff

Bang on.

We currently play our best player in his best position, Pitman as far as I understand it is getting frustrated because he isnt playing in his favoured position, that isnt Maynard's fault as, last time I checked Maynard isnt the team manager and doesnt pick the team

Rather than being happy that we have kept our main and current top goalscorer people are going apoplectic about the fact he hasnt as yet signed a new contract and should be thus punished because of it

That is a completely insane way of thinking

Its nothing to do with punishment and nothing to do with Brett being played out of position. More to do with forward planning.

Maynard it seems has chosen to leave city at the end of the season. I'm not happy that Maynard stays, because city lose out on a transfer fee.

If Maynard signs tomorrow and commits his long term future to the club, by all means play him and the board have done a great job.

But lets not make a bad situation worse, by leaving our other goalscorer on the bench and potentially pissing him off, so much so that he wants to leave. Then we are left with no goalscorers at the club.

We should learn from our mistakes with the goalkeepers.

Play Brett Pitman because he is ready AND he will be here long term.

Some people on this forum are loosing the plot... Hes our best player and hes under contract. Hes getting to the peak of his carrier and wants to test himself at a higher level. Its not his fault no bids came in from the prem came and the ones from our league were rejected. Im sure there will be no shortage of offers when hes a free agent. Who knows he might have a stormer from now till christmas and have a few suiters in january competing to sign him. Why are you all getting so worked up thats life. Its in his best interest to have a brilliant season not mope arround cus he doesnt wanna be here.

And fair play to our owner (the millionaire) , Chairman and board. We shouldnt be bullied into selling our best players. If we were you'd all just moan that we're a sellng club. The ones in charge of the club and with the money obviously know what they'r doing. SL must be happy to finance loosing Maynard for free or im sure he would of sold him. It makes zero difference for us the fans if he goes for free or for 6 million. If hed been sold I expect about million would of gone back into the team to replace him. This summer IMO was always gunna be a stop gap till next summer when i expect a major overhaul and heavy investment.

We all do it...even you.

Just to add find it strange that a Bristol City supporter is openly encouraging a member of staff to do what best for him and not the club.

I guess when Nicky moves on you'll start supporting what ever club he moves to as you clearly have his best interests at heart and not the clubs!?

You are still living in the 1960's if you you believe in players kissing the badge and player loyalty........I have supported City Home and Away for over 40 years, so I am unlikely to change my allegiance over one player....however I rate Nicky Maynard very highly, and really can't see what he's done wrong. The Club had ample opportunity to tie him to a longterm contract over the past couple of years.....they have shown a lack of foresight and poor management, and not for the first time. Players contracts are 2 way streets, and their are plenty of players who have been shafted by clubs over contracts through the seasons. I don't blame Nicky Maynard for keeping his options open....if I were ever lucky enough to be in his position I would probably do the same. As long as he gives 100% when he wears the shirt I don't have a problem with him. When Bob Taylor and Andy Cole left, I kept supporting my home club, but I followed their careers with interest, and I will do the the same when NM moves on to the Premier league...........when that time comes. You never know, if we can get in the top 5 by Xmas, he might stick around.

Playing devils advocate again (something this thread seems to be bringing out in me) I believe that if the club had accepted the offer from Leicester or any other Championship club, this thread would have degenerated into a row about how much it showed that the club had no real ambition and will always sell it's best players. It's just a different stick with which to beat people around head with, isn't it?

It has nothing to do with punishment and everything to do with good leadership and team morale.

Like it or not having a player in the team that clearly wants out will have a negative impact on the squad. Nicky can say he'll give 100% all he wants but ultimately deep down in his conscience it will effect him on and off the pitch and far more concerning it will effect people around him.

Stick him on Gardening leave and get players on the pitch that want to play for Bristol City.

Maynard has clearly become a big time charlie and feels he belongs in the Premier League even though no one wants him in the Premier League?

You are still living in the 1960's if you you believe in players kissing the badge and player loyalty........I have supported City Home and Away for over 40 years, so I am unlikely to change my allegiance over one player....however I rate Nicky Maynard very highly, and really can't see what he's done wrong. The Club had ample opportunity to tie him to a longterm contract over the past couple of years.....they have shown a lack of foresight and poor management, and not for the first time. Players contracts are 2 way streets, and their are plenty of players who have been shafted by clubs over contracts through the seasons. I don't blame Nicky Maynard for keeping his options open....if I were ever lucky enough to be in his position I would probably do the same. As long as he gives 100% when he wears the shirt I don't have a problem with him. When Bob Taylor and Andy Cole left, I kept supporting my home club, but I followed their careers with interest, and I will do the the same when NM moves on to the Premier league...........when that time comes. You never know, if we can get in the top 5 by Xmas, he might stick around.

Im not questioning your support for City- I was just making the point that you seem more concerned about Maynards future than the clubs. Maybe I cant see the wood for the trees but I really couldnt care about Maynard and only want whats best for the club.I understand that Maynard legally is doing nothing wrong but it still stinks to me when we've stood by him through his self inflicted injury only for him to bolt for nothing to pocket himself a fat payday, maybe that is the way of the world today but it doesnt mean we have to except it and apathetically just roll over. IT STILL STINKS!

To be fair to the club they offered Maynard the exention to his contract back in April, I don't really see what else they could of done and from the outside it seems Maynard as strung everyone along just to see what happens. Well... now we know on one wants Nicky in the prem so maybe he'll realise he's not quite as hot a property has he thinks and he'll realise is lot isnt a bad one .

Apparently so. I took a very quick look at soccerbase and saw this for their transfer record the season they signed Beckford?

Sylvain Distin Portsmouth £5,000,000 28-Aug-09

Diniyar Bilyaletdinov Lok. Moscow £8,900,000 28-Aug-09

Johnny Heitinga Atl Madrid £6,000,000 01-Sep-09

Lucas Neill West Ham Free 18-Sep-09

Jermaine Beckford Leeds Free 31-May-10

Joao Pedro Pereira Silva Desportivo Aves Signed 08-Jun-10

Magaye Gueye Strasbourg £1,000,000 01-Jul-10

Jan Mucha Legia Warsaw Free 02-Jul-10

Total: £20,900,000

It seems pretty blindingly obvious that gambling on a player to make a step up two massive levels is very different to gambling on a player to step up from being the best in the Championship to useful at a mid level Prem side, which is what makes this comparison pointless.

I disagreed with your assertion that it would SEVERELY affect his chances and said that would only have a minor affect. I think the evidence (i.e. the strikers who've moved from the Championship to the Prem) backs this up. I can't think of a striker who's scored well for two seasons at this level and not got the chance - contract or otherwise?

So you're basically just repeating arguments I've already responded to, not much fun really. I'd suggest the main reason there was no Prem offer is that up til now he's only hit 20 goals in the Championship once, and he was injured for most of last season. He needs another good full season to get a Prem move whether or not he's under contract. If he has one, he will get the chance irrespective. Please feel free to give me an example of a player with two 18+ goal seasons at this level who hasn't had that chance?

You've quoted 3 transfer windows there! Clearlyy the previous summer cannot be added to the total as that is not one season. The previous summer is completely separate to the two 2010 windows.

Anyway we'll have to agree to disagree as this is going round in circles a bit now. I wouldn't call Maynard the best striker in the league either, but that's a different debate for a different day!

We currently play our best player in his best position, Pitman as far as I understand it is getting frustrated because he isnt playing in his favoured position, that isnt Maynard's fault as, last time I checked Maynard isnt the team manager and doesnt pick the team

Rather than being happy that we have kept our main and current top goalscorer people are going apoplectic about the fact he hasnt as yet signed a new contract and should be thus punished because of it

That is a completely insane way of thinking

on his own up front, really I don't think so. it's not about punishment it's about making his intentions clear.

Archived