IGNORED

The Nicky Maynard Thread (Merged)

oldfield

:rofl2br:

No you don't need a player like Matt Mills when you can attract the likes of Ryan McGivern on loan. It doesn't matter how 'rich' you are if you aren't willing to spend any money on players who will improve your club. I am dissapointed that we haven't got Maynard, I'm just pointing out that it makes no ******* sense to lose £6M pounds when,

a) You're not good enough to get a play-off spot.

b) You would have avoided relegation without Maynard.

Basically you've missed out on £6M and gained a slightly higher mid-table position, is that really worth £6M and the dissapointment of watching him walk on a free or for hardly any money in January?

If Maynard was going to sign a new contract why didn't he do it when we where sniffing around, why did he put your fans through the pain of not knowing if he was staying or going if he always intended to sign a contract?

And you've spent £15m and still won't be good enough to go up.

And you've spent £15m and still won't be good enough to go up.

I don't see how that's neccesary when I haven't said anything bad about Bristol City, just that this one descision makes no sense. However I would suggest that Leicester are good enough for promotion, sure we haven't had an amazing start but we are still tenth and we have a lot of new players who have come in and need to gel, it's far to early to rule us out of the promotion push considering how good are squad is when compared to the rest of the division.

I don't see how that's neccesary when I haven't said anything bad about Bristol City, just that this one descision makes no sense. However I would suggest that Leicester are good enough for promotion, sure we haven't had an amazing start but we are still tenth and we have a lot of new players who have come in and need to gel, it's far to early to rule us out of the promotion push considering how good are squad is when compared to the rest of the division.

Yes, but you have Sven. And whatever his record might be at the highest levels of the game, he ain't a championship manager. It's different down here as Brolly McLaren is also finding out at the Florists.

Yes, but you have Sven. And whatever his record might be at the highest levels of the game, he ain't a championship manager. It's different down here as Brolly McLaren is also finding out at the Florists.

We were bottom when Sven took over last year and almost got a play-off spot. That's the only experience Sven has of this division and the only thing you can judge his ability to manage at this level on.

We were bottom when Sven took over last year and almost got a play-off spot. That's the only experience Sven has of this division and the only thing you can judge his ability to manage at this level on.

That's the key word here. Look, I have to deal with Leicester fans every day of the week as I'm living away from God's own county, so forgive me if I seem a little harsh. But you won't be going up this season unless they change the scoring system during games to include pretty passes along the back line. Teams will come to F'King Power stadium and park the bus in front of goal and let you play in your own half all day.

:clapping::clapping:

We signed that lad because our left back is out for 2 months and we have no cover,

I can't wait for you lot to fail and your owners get itchy feet, its happened at so many clubs and will happen with fester,

You lot are so bitter that you can't buy the league and when you do spend 15 million it will turn you into a mid table championship club hahahaha

That's the key word here. Look, I have to deal with Leicester fans every day of the week as I'm living away from God's own county, so forgive me if I seem a little harsh. But you won't be going up this season unless they change the scoring system during games to include pretty passes along the back line. Teams will come to F'King Power stadium and park the bus in front of goal and let you play in your own half all day.

Yeah almost, from sitting botom of the table, with a side who had recently lost 6-1 at Portsmouth and already about 11 games into the season, he still managed to turn that side around and was challenging for a play-off place at the end. I'd say that for a first venture into the Championship that's pretty good going and if it had been an English League One manager with a rubbish reputation who'd done the exact same thing you would be saying that he's a good manager at this level. You're just looking for an excuse to bash Sven when during the one season he had at this level he did a good job of turning around a side doing poorly to a club that where challenging for a Play-Off spot. If someone had done that with Bristol City you'd be singing their praises and you know it.

Still I really shouldn't care at this point, we've signed a cheaper striker proven at a higher level.

Actually if you look at Beckford's records, he's only really scored consistently at League 1 despite actually playing quite a lot of Prem/Cc games. All my Leeds-supporting mates said he as lazy and only put any effort in when he got the ball in or around the box. However, i guess if you're creating chances and not taing them, that might suit

While this guy is clearly an arrogant *****, he is right to an extent; we are now almost certainly going to lose our most saleable asset for nothing in the summer which isn't necessarily a thing to crow about. However, i'm not convinced Nicky would have agreed to move to Leicester. If he'd wanted the move he would have asked for it and i suspect his wish would have been granted

Yeah almost, from sitting botom of the table, with a side who had recently lost 6-1 at Portsmouth and already about 11 games into the season, he still managed to turn that side around and was challenging for a play-off place at the end. I'd say that for a first venture into the Championship that's pretty good going and if it had been an English League One manager with a rubbish reputation who'd done the exact same thing you would be saying that he's a good manager at this level. You're just looking for an excuse to bash Sven when during the one season he had at this level he did a good job of turning around a side doing poorly to a club that where challenging for a Play-Off spot. If someone had done that with Bristol City you'd be singing their praises and you know it.

Gary Johnson first season ever in the championship (the highest league he ever managed in) took us to a play off final and a 4th place finish, I wouldn't be singing swens praises

Gary Johnson first season ever in the championship (the highest league he ever managed in) took us to a play off final and a 4th place finish, I wouldn't be singing swens praises

But he didn't take over twelve games into the season with morale low, the club bottom and almost get a play-off spot from that position. Nigel Pearson did the same thing as Johnson, all I'm saying is that you can't call Sven a bad manager at this level when the only time he managed at this level he did a good job.

Actually if you look at Beckford's records, he's only really scored consistently at League 1 despite actually playing quite a lot of Prem/Cc games. All my Leeds-supporting mates said he as lazy and only put any effort in when he got the ball in or around the box. However, i guess if you're creating chances and not taing them, that might suit.

He's never played in the Championship and he was Everton's joint top scorer last year...

Yeah almost, from sitting botom of the table, with a side who had recently lost 6-1 at Portsmouth and already about 11 games into the season, he still managed to turn that side around and was challenging for a play-off place at the end. I'd say that for a first

venture into the Championship that's pretty good going and if it had been an English League One manager with a rubbish reputation who'd done the exact same thing you would be saying that he's a good manager at this level. You're just looking for

an excuse to bash Sven when during the one season he had at this level he did a good job of turning around a side doing poorly to a club that where challenging for a Play-Off spot. If someone had done that with Bristol City you'd be singing their praises and you

know it.

We did almost exactly the same last season except we fell away again during the last 5 or 6 games.

But you try telling some on here, they shut there eyes to it.

:rofl2br:

No you don't need a player like Matt Mills when you can attract the likes of Ryan McGivern on loan. It doesn't matter how 'rich' you are if you aren't willing to spend any money on players who will improve your club. I am dissapointed that we haven't got Maynard, I'm just pointing out that it makes no ******* sense to lose £6M pounds when,

a) You're not good enough to get a play-off spot.

b) You would have avoided relegation without Maynard.

Basically you've missed out on £6M and gained a slightly higher mid-table position, is that really worth £6M and the dissapointment of watching him walk on a free or for hardly any money in January?

If Maynard was going to sign a new contract why didn't he do it when we where sniffing around, why did he put your fans through the pain of not knowing if he was staying or going if he always intended to sign a contract?

LCFC, I am sure you expect to get a fair bit of abuse for posting on here, as is to be expected from a rival fan and especially given your attempts to buy Maynard in the summer.

However, I think you might be surprised by how many fans are in general agreement with most of what you say. Unless the club are pretty certain tht Maynard will sign (and I've seen nothing in the last month or so to indicate that is the case) then it is one hell of a gamble and no matter howo wealthy our owner is, £5-6m is still an awful lot of money to risk. Our expectation is that Maynard will only go to a prem club, so even if we had accepted your offer Maynard would have rejected the deal anyway, but that's a different issue.

Where quite a few will disagree with you, is your assertion that we would have avoided relegation without Maynard. Many here are worried that even if Maynard stays, we could be in a relegation fight because of our weaknesses in defence and midfield. Recent events have created an impression that we are a one man team. Our problem is that we struggle to demonstrate that we are a team out on the pitch ( funnily enough an exception to that was at your place a few weeks back).

Good luck to you this season, but I'm sure that expectation will be high and the pressure on Sven from fans and owners will be be severe if you are not in and around the promotion places all season. The pressure on our manager will be defferent but just as severe - especially from fans. You say that midtable and 8 points off the play offs at christmas would put Sven under pressure.If we acheived that then it would probably ease the pressure on our manager!

But he didn't take over twelve games into the season with morale low, the club bottom and almost get a play-off spot from that position. Nigel Pearson did the same thing as Johnson, all I'm saying is that you can't call Sven a bad manager at this level when the only time he managed at this level he did a good job.

He's never played in the Championship and he was Everton's joint top scorer last year...

bitter bitter bitter bitter bitter,

go back to the mighty king power where you get rolled over by small clubs like Bristol City,

Leicester will be lucky to get top 10 owners will leave admin will come calling again

have to agree with the leicester fan about that transfer fee - unless it is 100% clear that he will sign a new contract, we should have taken that money. Regardless of how rich SL is, we are still making big losses, and turning down the 5 million, or whatever it is, is too much to lose. We shouldnt let him walk away for nothing - Maynard has been given good support by the club and the fans, but just like every other mercanary footballer, he is holding out to make himself richer than he already is, so I think it is highly unlikely he will sign a new deal. I would love to be proved wrong though.

How much moneys worth of transfer fee is on a free transfer next summer - maynard and clarkson alone come to 3, plus gawd knows how many others. What is the point in writing off that level of transfer spending for nothing?

bitter bitter bitter bitter bitter,

go back to the mighty king power where you get rolled over by small clubs like Bristol City,

Leicester will be lucky to get top 10 owners will leave admin will come calling again

I never said you where a small club, I'm obviously not bitter as in Beckford I think we have signed someone of similar quality and I think we are better placed than yourselves to have a good year. Oh and yeah we finished in the top half the last two seasons with a weaker squad. I'm not here to knock Bristol or to be bitter I'm just saying that I feel it was a very poor descision on your clubs behalf.

I never said you where a small club, I'm obviously not bitter as in Beckford I think we have signed someone of similar quality and I think we are better placed than yourselves to have a good year. Oh and yeah we finished in the top half the last two seasons with a weaker squad. I'm not here to knock Bristol or to be bitter I'm just saying that I feel it was a very poor descision on your clubs behalf.

Time will tell - I think you could be right.

I think we should have sold to you - but as others are saying, he may not have wanted to go to Leicester.

Time will tell - I think you could be right.

I think we should have sold to you - but as others are saying, he may not have wanted to go to Leicester.

Fair enough, I just assumed by the way that your club instantly said you wouldn't sell to a championship club and never accepted an offer, which may have put pressure on Maynard, that it was your clubs descision and not the players but if it was Maynard's descision then fair enough. Although if it was his descision I don't think you should all be getting your hopes up about him signing a new contract.

You cannot force a player to go where he clearly does not want to go. The club, therefore, had no decision to make.

..and finally reality dawns.

Whilst its a possibility - I cant see why he would'nt want to? we'll be at the other end, while leicester have a good chance of promotion - With all those good players and good manager - I can see them going close....

But the reality is he could go for nothing and he does he's a right ****!

Whilst its a possibility - I cant see why he would'nt want to? we'll be at the other end, while leicester have a good chance of promotion - With all those good players and good manager - I can see them going close....

But the reality is he could go for nothing and he does he's a right ****!

Because he can join a Prem club on a free in 12 months, it's your fans who think he's turned us down and is about to sign a new contract at Bristol City who are deluded.

We did almost exactly the same last season except we fell away again during the last 5 or 6 games.

But you try telling some on here, they shut there eyes to it.

Millen did a decent job of steering us to safety , it's not the same as challenging for the play-offs though.

Might be a good idea for some posters to read their posts at the beginning of this thread rather than focus on the end. Nibor makes sense on page 1 and continues to do so.... others may find they have been less consistent (no i haven't read the whole thing to check.)

You really don't understand money some of you Bristol fans. Some Premier League clubs will take a risk on a player who is available on a free because they have a lot less to lose, where as they may not be interested if they have to pay upwards of £5M for him, you know in the same way that no Premier League clubs where interested in paying £5M+ for him this summer. At the end of the day they'll have to pay him the same wages whatever fee he goes for.

It would make no sense for Nicky Maynard to sign a new contract, even for the 'security' of signing a deal because he knows that if he doesn't sign a new contract, whatever happens this season, he will have offers from other Championship clubs or at the very least Bristol will offer him a contract in the summer. And why would Maynard want to take a risk on whether or not a Prem club is willing to pay £6M for him when he knows he can leave on a free in the summer if he does nothing.

Nicky Maynard is not a Bristol City fan, so from your stand point it would make sense to sign a new contract and possibly earn the club £6M, but for him, there are littarelly no benefits of signing a new contract apart from earning a bit more money at the risk of not getting a big move. Basically by turning us down, you've lost £5-7M pounds because Maynard will leave on a free, and you wont even gain anything from keeping him for 12 months, other than finishing in a slightly higher mediocre mid-table position. I don't understand why you all want to lose your club £6M pounds when you have good enough strikers in back-up to survive relegation anyway. Still I really shouldn't care at this point, we've signed a cheaper striker proven at a higher level.

LCFC - I agree with much of your post.

People say we have loads if money, yet at the last look we were over £10m in debt and our sugar daddy had taken a rather large step away from the club.

There is no doubt we should have accepted your offer for Maynard.

With or without Maynard, it is likely we will be in a relegation fight, although many on here believe the very fact Maynard has stayed guarantees our Championship survival.

He played 10 games over 2 seasons for Leeds in the Championship without scoring actually and i think his record for Everton was around 8 goals in 40 games, which is actually better than i thought it would be. However, given that at times Moyes prefered to play a midfielder up front ahead of Beckford that perhaps doesn't tell the whole story. Don't get me wrong, i think he'll score some goals for you, but i suspect Maynard will getmore for us even though we'relikely to finish below you. I don't think Beckford will get enough to fire you to promotion

You really don't understand money some of you Bristol fans. Some Premier League clubs will take a risk on a player who is available on a free because they have a lot less to lose, where as they may not be interested if they have to pay upwards of £5M for him, you know in the same way that no Premier League clubs where interested in paying £5M+ for him this summer. At the end of the day they'll have to pay him the same wages whatever fee he goes for.

It would make no sense for Nicky Maynard to sign a new contract, even for the 'security' of signing a deal because he knows that if he doesn't sign a new contract, whatever happens this season, he will have offers from other Championship clubs or at the very least Bristol will offer him a contract in the summer. And why would Maynard want to take a risk on whether or not a Prem club is willing to pay £6M for him when he knows he can leave on a free in the summer if he does nothing.

Nicky Maynard is not a Bristol City fan, so from your stand point it would make sense to sign a new contract and possibly earn the club £6M, but for him, there are littarelly no benefits of signing a new contract apart from earning a bit more money at the risk of not getting a big move. Basically by turning us down, you've lost £5-7M pounds because Maynard will leave on a free, and you wont even gain anything from keeping him for 12 months, other than finishing in a slightly higher mediocre mid-table position. I don't understand why you all want to lose your club £6M pounds when you have good enough strikers in back-up to survive relegation anyway. Still I really shouldn't care at this point, we've signed a cheaper striker proven at a higher level.

I don't disagree with any of this - in many ways I'm as disappointed Maynard remains a City player as any Leicester fans who were getting excited by his prospective arrival. It was time for closure on the whole business so we could reunite as a club rather than be obsessed with one player.

I've never rated Beckford however and Maynard is definitely in a different class.

I don't see Maynard being the difference to BCFC staying up or not - we have Brett Pitman, a young, improving Championship goalscorer champing at the bit for a regular place. His progress at City will now continue to be thwarted, and it's not clear how long he will accept that situation. With this in mind NM was not indispensable and the bigger picture could see us losing both players.

The Leicester offer, whilst not matching the valuation of the club, or indeed most of the fans in an ideal selling situation, was obviously the best we got, so should have been given very serious consideration rather than the blustering response of outright refusal to sell to a Championship club. We are fairly certain Maynard hankers after, and has set his sights on, PL football but we don't actually know what Maynard's personal thoughts on a move to Leicester were or whether he would have dismissed them as totally as BCFC.

To my mind City haven't thought this through well at all, and we will certainly come to curse their stubbornness if we end up losing out on 6m

Archived