IGNORED

The Nicky Maynard Thread (Merged)

oldfield

Don't agree with that.

Surely he is a much more attractive proposition on a free transfer if he see's his contract out.

The only worries for him were if the club benched him, limiting his exposure, which I can't imagine they would, or if he were seriously injured.

If he runs out his contract here, injury free, he'll have more lucrative offers at this level even if Premier League teams turn their noses up.

A free agent, and he can ask for a very big signing on fee, i don;t think he will do this to us, time will tell but if he does that to us i will not remember his goals that would piss me off, i feel he won't to that but with agents around who knows.

If a Prem club wants to sign him the price tag of (presumably) £6-7m won't make much difference. They might give him a big signing on fee if they don't have to pay it but the wages won't be markedly different. Transfer fees are easy because they're paid once, wages are not because they are an ongoing commitment. Particularly for clubs clubs that might not be guaranteed safety.

If he signs for us, he'll likely more than double his wages right now which is probably worth the best part of a million between now and next year when he'd be available on a free. He's also had two serious injuries so that will have to be in his mind.

The question is, Nicky, would you like to earn £20-25k a week now or wait a year for a chance at £30-35k? Easy choice, particularly if the release clause is there - it means he doesn't lose his chance to play in the Prem or earn even more.

Think injuries will be his biggest worry in not signing an extension.

I have to say I've been suprised at the apparent zero interest from top flight clubs this summer. That fact combined with the realisation that we are, and most likely will be for a few seasons to come, amongst a cluster of midtable teams with no genuine chance of promotion may alter his expectations for a move.

While all we've heard or come to believe is Premier League or stays put, if he has a decent but headline free season, say 14-18 goals, by committing himself to the club with a top flight caveat he rules out the bulk of his desired suitors.

Teams like West Ham, Leicester, the relegated three etc would no doubt offer him better terms all with the prospect of a promotion charge ahead. By signing an extension he is, from his point of view, taking the safe decision rather than, arguably, the right one tinged with risk.

Shane Long Reported £4 but demanded prem club.

Nicky Manynard Reported £8-£10m did not play how may games last season due to injuries.

WOW that does make Shane Long a bargain.

And Andy Caroll a great bargain.

InCider. Come on get realistic whos going to pay £8m for a sicknote.

And i see Leicester are turning their attentions elsewhere.

So dont go on wetting your pants i cannot see anyone going in for Maynard tomorrow.

And that will **** your defence building up,because you have a tight fisted owner

Erm, I think £4m for Long is a bargain. If it was £4 like you state, then even better, but I put that down to your illiteracy, rather than assuming you meant £4. In fact with add-ons his fee could be as much as £10m. I don't see how Nicky Maynard being worth £8-10m would make Carroll a 'great bargain'. You do realise he scored more than Carroll in the previous Championship season before his transfer, don't you?

He has had one bad injury, but other than that, he's no more injury prone than most players. Who's going to pay £8m? Well, you must think that the handsome Steve Bruce is willing to do so. Isn't that why you're on here? Another question for you, is it true that Sunderland appointed Steve Bruce as manager because he looks like all the local women, or was that just a rumour?

Thanks.

I have to say I've been suprised at the apparent zero interest from top flight clubs this summer. That fact combined with the realisation that we are, and most likely will be for a few seasons to come, amongst a cluster of midtable teams with no genuine chance of promotion may alter his expectations for a move.

So am I. I wouldn't expect a Spurs or Villa to come in, but surely he'd be a decent back up for Zamora at Fulham or Wolves? Especially after Long's couple of goal v Man U and Chelsea would make people think about championship strikers more?

While all we've heard or come to believe is Premier League or stays put, if he has a decent but headline free season, say 14-18 goals, by committing himself to the club with a top flight caveat he rules out the bulk of his desired suitors.

Teams like West Ham, Leicester, the relegated three etc would no doubt offer him better terms all with the prospect of a promotion charge ahead. By signing an extension he is, from his point of view, taking the safe decision rather than, arguably, the right one tinged with risk.

I would observe that players who finish in the top few of the scoring charts in the Championship more than once always get a go in the Prem one way or another. He should have enough self belief to think he can get 20 again, he's got three already.

According to SSN Leicester are going back with a higher bid for the Glasgow Rangers croatian striker,so it looks like all you guys in Bristol have got your wish with maynard staying-could be a bad call. :dunno:

Why? It doesn't help me if Maynard goes. I'm more than happy to watch him this season.

It could be far far worse, we could have been in for Peter the lamppost Crouch!!

Erm, I think £4m for Long is a bargain. If it was £4 like you state, then even better, but I put that down to your illiteracy, rather than assuming you meant £4. In fact with add-ons his fee could be as much as £10m. I don't see how Nicky Maynard being worth £8-10m would make Carroll a 'great bargain'. You do realise he scored more than Carroll in the previous Championship season before his transfer, don't you?

He has had one bad injury, but other than that, he's no more injury prone than most players. Who's going to pay £8m? Well, you must think that the handsome Steve Bruce is willing to do so. Isn't that why you're on here? Another question for you, is it true that Sunderland appointed Steve Bruce as manager because he looks like all the local women, or was that just a rumour?

Thanks.

Two bad injuries. He had a long-term injury whilst at Crewe too. But he has been playing since he was 16 so it's not as bad as all that, and I don't think the two injuries were related.

From "TransferHawkEye" on Tw!tter- Leicester City have bid £8m for a Championship striker, believed to be Nicky Maynard. #lcfc #bcfc more info soon.

Hard to take any rumors seriously right now, but £8m up front? Mmmm that'll test CS's reslove I might take that and let them talk to him.

Actually bollocks to that, thats still £10m below his true Value, £35m for Carroll?!!! :w00t::yawn:

The only true indicator :yes:

and lets be honest Maynard is twice the player Carroll can ever hope of becoming. Carroll is the proverbial lump up front, with Carroll in your team its dull as buggery.

So really.. that puts Maynards value to what? £45m... What? ...I'm only going by the facts. :innocent06:

Two bad injuries. He had a long-term injury whilst at Crewe too. But he has been playing since he was 16 so it's not as bad as all that, and I don't think the two injuries were related.

Didn't know about the one at Crewe. The last was a skiing accident wasn't it? So, I don't think his injury record will put people off too much, particularly as he's come back and continues to score. I'm pretty sure that he wasn't injured for the Swindon game, but rested and also so he didn't get cup-tied and knock the price down should a Prem club come in for him.

Didn't know about the one at Crewe. The last was a skiing accident wasn't it? So, I don't think his injury record will put people off too much, particularly as he's come back and continues to score. I'm pretty sure that he wasn't injured for the Swindon game, but rested and also so he didn't get cup-tied and knock the price down should a Prem club come in for him.

he picked up a knock in the first 10 minutes against portsmouth and was limping for a little bit after that,

Thats why he was rested

The one at Crewe was a broken leg.

Hardly on the scale of Ribiero as it can happen to ANY footballer.

he picked up a knock in the first 10 minutes against portsmouth and was limping for a little bit after that,

Thats why he was rested

I'm pretty sure he would have been fit enough to play though, had we not wanted him to get cup-tied. If it was a more important game, I'm also sure he would have played, even carrying a knock from the previous game.

I'm pretty sure he would have been fit enough to play though, had we not wanted him to get cup-tied. If it was a more important game, I'm also sure he would have played, even carrying a knock from the previous game.

must mean we are waiting for a prem club to come in for Marvin elliot as well then.......

Perhaps, I am being a bit too cynical! :D

yep :innocent06:

I doubt a prem club would be worried if he was cup tied for the carling cup as its just a micky mouse cup to them,

It would be like us turing down Theo Walcott because he's cup tied in the champions league

The one at Crewe was a broken leg.

Hardly on the scale of Ribiero as it can happen to ANY footballer.

The point is though that he will have in mind that he can get injured for a long period of time as it's happened to him twice before - so it does represent a real risk to his ability to get a better deal next summer and with a kid on the way should make some security appealing. Particularly if that security doesn't really limit his ambition to play in the Premier League much.

And so what begins?

Little boys on twitter posting crap. I never look at the site, dont know why people do its full of bollox.

A agree, why go to another site that's full of bollox and people posting crap, when you can get the same without leaving this forum!

The point is though that he will have in mind that he can get injured for a long period of time as it's happened to him twice before - so it does represent a real risk to his ability to get a better deal next summer and with a kid on the way should make some security appealing. Particularly if that security doesn't really limit his ambition to play in the Premier League much.

I was highlighting the fact that he isn't injury prone per se, although having a season and a half out injured in a 6 or 7 season career, is a fairly high percentage and could make him think, as per your argument, that security isn't such a bad thing after all.

Archived