IGNORED

Holloway As Manager ...

swampy

Holloway supports rovers, there is a difference. I wouldn't want him as manager in a million years, john ward wasnt a rovers fan.

Mcleish isnt a birmingham fan, i think they might be slightly over reacting.

I agree with this, Villa fans need to get over themselves. From what I've seen on SSN they don't want him because he's coming from Birmingham City, what a load of rubbish.

Holloway is Rovers through and through and probably wouldn't ever entertain the idea of managing us.

Pullis was Rovers big time and has always maintained we didn't give him a chance because of it. In truth He never liked City and HE couldn't get over that fact.

The what I would describe as no-brainers

How much thought have you given to their reasoning? I'm sure if Mourinho had just left Birmingham to manage them they'd have a bit more enthusiasm, as it is he's just got Birmingham relegated for the 2nd time in 4 years with a fairly decent squad, who nosedived since the turn of the year. For a team that was pushing for the Champions League barely 12 months ago, I'd be pretty pissed off too.

I'd never put up with Hollowhead as a manager. He's a vile scumbag of a man. How he conducted himself as a player and as manager of that bunch of ******* squatters will not be forgotten no matter a fluke of a promotion.

You may not like the man, but let's not start pretending that he 'fluked' his way to promotion over a 49-game season, there's no need to be bitter.

John Ward.

Accepted very well by both Bristol clubs even though he'd managed both.

I wouldn't have a problem if Holloway was City manager - but I think Holloway himself would turn the job down if it were ever offered to him.

Dont think you can compare holloway and ward.

Holloway would definately have supporters bringing their season tickets back - and holloway is a better manager than ward.

There is still a hatred towards holloway - which there never was for Ward.

Holloway would definately have supporters bringing their season tickets back - and holloway is a better manager than ward.

Only by a minority who can't let bygones be bygones.

Im assuming you mean Johnson?

It wasn't actually...

Think of a manager who used to walk around the stands shaking everyone's hand, then dumped us in the shit. A few years ago now.

Not nameing names though...especially on an open forum.

You can add to that, at least 3 others who have spoken in my presence in derrogatory terms about how our Club was run and how thick our fans are. To be fair, they had a point at the time.

At the end of the day...fans are fed fodder that keeps mushrooms growing. They can only react to what is in the public domain.

I'm sure we would all have a different view of players and certain managers, if we were privy to private thoughts and conversations.

There is very little loyalty to Clubs from players and managers these days. What we read and hear is all there, either to sell newspapers, or higher the profile of the certain individual. It's a job and they are looking out for their Careers and family. They don't view football in the same way as a fan does. They might put on a show to make you think so though. Who wants to be unpopular after all?

Interesting...

Depends what you class as a minority....

In my experience of mixing with other City fans over many years I've found very few who would use the word 'hate' to describe their view of Holloway. Most have a grudging respect for the bloke although they remember some of his antics and remarks about City in the past.

That said I don't mix with many younger City fans, some it would seem think that to 'hate' Holloway is a prerequisite of being City fan. It ain't.

In my experience of mixing with other City fans over many years I've found very few who would use the word 'hate' to describe their view of Holloway. Most have a grudging respect for the bloke although they remember some of his antics and remarks about City in the past.

That said I don't mix with many younger City fans, some it would seem think that to 'hate' Holloway is a prerequisite of being City fan. It ain't.

Time passes robbo - i aint young anymore - nor do I hate holloway.....

These older fans may repsect holloway - as I do too - but I'd be surprised if many of them would be happy for him to be manager!

It wasn't actually...

Think of a manager who used to walk around the stands shaking everyone's hand, then dumped us in the shit. A few years ago now.

Not nameing names though...especially on an open forum.

You can add to that, at least 3 others who have spoken in my presence in derrogatory terms about how our Club was run and how thick our fans are. To be fair, they had a point at the time.

At the end of the day...fans are fed fodder that keeps mushrooms growing. They can only react to what is in the public domain.

I'm sure we would all have a different view of players and certain managers, if we were privy to private thoughts and conversations.

There is very little loyalty to Clubs from players and managers these days. What we read and hear is all there, either to sell newspapers, or higher the profile of the certain individual. It's a job and they are looking out for their Careers and family. They don't view football in the same way as a fan does. They might put on a show to make you think so though. Who wants to be unpopular after all?

Well only person I can think of who fits that bill is John ward - and that doesn't sound like the sort of thing he'd say.

I can believe there have been other managers in our recent history who have been derogatory about us: I'm sure the likes of Russell Osman, Tony Pulis, Brian Tinnion, Denis Smith and Joe Jordan had plenty of negatives to say following their sackings for being failures...or in Pulis' case, because he's a ****.

The point being, some of their viewpoints are going to be slightly biased given their resulting circumstances.

Surely not John Ward.

Richard Latham will be on the phone to the Samaritans if thats true.

Like i said in my earlier post. Managers and players alike, all want to be liked by the fans they are working for. Some are very good at putting on a show for the public. Not everyone...but a lot.

Pre Lansdown...our Club was run like an Amateur outfit, and some managers who came to our Club were absolutely shocked by what they saw and how backward we were. Seriously...we were really, really, poorly run compared to other teams.

From 1988 to 2005. I've spoken to all those managers at Social or Golfing events...and you'd be suprised by how many of those managers thought we were a poorly run Club, with delussional fans. Most did their best for us...but many were left scratching their head...or were doing it as a stepping stone to further their own career.

I have the highest regard for both Joe Jordan and Benny Lennartson and also Jimmy Lumsden from those years mentioned. Read into that what you like.

Well only person I can think of who fits that bill is John ward - and that doesn't sound like the sort of thing he'd say.

I can believe there have been other managers in our recent history who have been derogatory about us: I'm sure the likes of Russell Osman, Tony Pulis, Brian Tinnion, Denis Smith and Joe Jordan had plenty of negatives to say following their sackings for being failures...or in Pulis' case, because he's a ****.

The point being, some of their viewpoints are going to be slightly biased given their resulting circumstances.

Like i said before...Don't be fooled by everything you see and hear at the Club or at the ground, or by statements for the Press.

Suprising what a few beers and glasses of fizz will do to oil the larynx at Gloucester Cricket Festival. Suprisingly very forthright and open with opinions...I could have been anybody. :mellow:

Joe Jordan is a Star... As for the others in your list...wouldn't like to say ;)

I don't really think any less of John Ward (assuming he's the manager being talked about above) slagging us off in (semi) private after leaving. He did his best for us when he was here and the promotion season in '98 was probably my favourite ever season.

I'm sure many people on this forum have slagged off their previous employer after a few drinks. As mentioned above, to them, managing City is just another job.

Fans like to criticise players/managers for a lack of loyalty in today's game, but it works both ways. Fans are far quicker to demand we get rid of a player/manager whose previous good form takes a downturn. We showed no loyalty towards Gary Johnson after several years of good service and results, when results started to go downhill. I really don't want to open a GJ debate - clearly in retrospect getting rid of him was the right decision - but I think the loyalty point is valid. Rovers similarly showed no loyalty towards Trollope, after several years of good work there, when things took a slight dip last season, and they (fortunately) suffered as a result.

Regards the manager, I half wondered at first whether it was perhaps Johnson? He once made the football manager remark and took a lot of flak over perceived negative play- not least McIndoe often playing inside. I wouldn't like to comment on the validity of the remarks or otherwise. Surely wouldn't have been though, the fans and club had a great bond under him, great unity of spirit.

id sooner slam me cock in the door than have that vile piece if shyte as manager of our club :ranting: !!!!!!!!!!

Interesting to see the Villa fans reaction to McCleish as manager because he came from the other side of town. The what I would describe as no-brainers - 250 fans out of an average gate of 35 000 - were out protesting. Usual shaven headed morons ... Imagine City were contemplating appointing Holloway as manager ... not that he would cross the divide being a Bristolian rather than Scot in Brum. Would we oppose his appointment on managerial and motivational abilitiies? Or would it be a simple question of 'no Gashead here thank you very much' regardless of his ability as a manager? That - in my opionion - would be very sad.

Cant believe people get so incensed over holloway was he previously employeed at winterbourne view? i find him annoying as much as i do funny and if he did ever become manager just imagine what the would do to the sags. It would be classic. But the more i think about it the less i would like him to become manager.

Like i said before...Don't be fooled by everything you see and hear at the Club or at the ground, or by statements for the Press.

Suprising what a few beers and glasses of fizz will do to oil the larynx at Gloucester Cricket Festival. Suprisingly very forthright and open with opinions...I could have been anybody. :mellow:

Joe Jordan is a Star... As for the others in your list...wouldn't like to say ;)

Were it to be suggested that it was John Ward let's be fair to him - if I was an employee and found myself in the position he was in I'd have walked...and I'd hardly have a fond view of the folk I'd been working for...

...no one in charge at the time covered themselves with glory in that affair...or indeed that season...

Were it to be suggested that it was John Ward let's be fair to him - if I was an employee and found myself in the position he was in I'd have walked...and I'd hardly have a fond view of the folk I'd been working for...

...no one in charge at the time covered themselves with glory in that affair...or indeed that season...

to be fair he did him self no favours with the cooment he came out with

Spot on, the man is a complete **** and an embarrassment to Bristol, he has a face i would never tire of punchingboxing.gif

IF he ever came to manage this club i would never set foot in Ashton Gate again.

The fact some of our fans have some kind of love in with him…..nono.gif

This is where i would like to see himdeath.gif

Clear enough?

Last bit was a bit extreme perhaps but I fully concur with the rest of it :city:

The day Hollowhead becomes manager of Bristol City would be the day I decide to hit the golf course every Saturday. He was the nemesis of our club for a long time and time doesn't change that fact, nor do a succession of media soundbites quell my dislike of the man. Once gas, always gas

By all accounts Mr Holloway used to have a beer now and again in my local pub in Longwell Green a few years ago and was asked this very question as to wether he would ever entertain the thought of managing City.

His reply was a typical Holloway riddle, it wasn't a matter of 'would he manage City but could he ever manage City'. Wether he meant the outcry from both blue and red supporters or his own feelings I don't know.

While he is a decent Manager and a very proud Bristolian, his colours will always be blue and white and although he has, obviously, grown up alot since the days of the bus tour through Kingswood (I was sat in the Chase inn watching it), I couldn't ever see the day that the no 1 gas head (in my eyes) would ever manage our club. The Pulis debacle probably hasn't made it any more likely TBH.

Archived